WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Rookie into the stock market.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I know absolutely nothing about investing and I’m ready to cash out the kids CD accounts and invest in Exxon and Disney. Any suggestions on how to go about it? Probably put 7k into each.

So far my friends have recommended Computershare and TD Ameritrade.

Halvecto

Reaction score
I know absolutely nothing about investing and I’m ready to cash out the kids CD accounts and invest in Exxon and Disney. Any suggestions on how to go about it? Probably put 7k into each.

Computershare is primarily a back-office custodian that large companies use for direct purchase and DRiP (dividend reinvest) programs. Also employee stock options, grants, etc. are often administered by Computershare. Your friends probably get an annual statement from Computershare for a company benefit or inheritance from old stock certificates of parents or grandparents that were registered a long time ago.

You will be better off with one of the big four (likely to be three): TD Ameritrade, Schwab, E*Trade, Fidelity. There are other ones, as well, that are also good.

TD Ameritrade and Schwab announced they are merging, subject to DOJ approval. Both have good , simple online platforms. I would expect the single entity that develops will be good also. Fidelity, E*Trade are good, established investment platforms.

Last edited:

FishSniper

Reaction score

I have had ameritrade for awhile and they have been pretty good. Pretty decent trading platform and easy to transfer money in and out.

prorider

Reaction score

Might should hold off while. Oil is headed way lower and this shit is getting crazy. TD Ameritrade is good and easy.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Give me 10 out of the 14k and call it even. . .
You think oil is going to stay this low for the next 8-10yrs? If so why?
I’m not trying to make a quick buck this is money for the kids to help them buy their first house or put towards college.

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
TD also, for many, many years. Very easy.

Xring01

Reaction score
Stocks I am currently buying.. in my speculative portfolio
ZM, PCG, AMZN, LVGO...

Over the last few trading days, I have made my initial investments on the above. I will dollar cost average more purchases of them over the next week or so...

I am watching 50 stocks closely at all times, have a short list of 5 -6 that are in contention at all times.

I do my best to keep this portfolio to 5 or less stocks at any one time.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
The bodies are starting to stack up.
Corps have been given the opportunity to buy back stock at discount rates with low interest loans.
The blood-letting is just beginning imo.
This will be the largest shift in wealth in 2 decades.
Tread lightly.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
do your research... dont just throw money at something because "you like it"

TOPS was my winner recently.

Screen Shot 2020-03-30 at 10.25.09 PM.png

ka0tyk

Reaction score
Really? It fucking tanked for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tip: buy low and sell high.

easy way to protect yourself, set a portion to auto sell at a percentage drop. If you hold onto it thinking it’s gonna go to the moon... sometimes it doesn’t.

Deano

Reaction score
Disney is a good buy. You are looking for long term so wait until there is a positive sign in the news about COVID. You might not get in on the bottom (only the lucky do), but you will be in way better shape than most.
All of the other day trading advice is nonsense. Don't ever buy into what the winners tell you unless you are very experienced. It's all smoke and mirrors.
A fugazy. -The Wolf ;)

shintoooo

I'm Blessed
Reaction score
I wonder if the market will sink further tomorrow with the release of unemployment numbers or if it's already baked in.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
You think oil is going to stay this low for the next 8-10yrs? If so why?
I’m not trying to make a quick buck this is money for the kids to help them buy their first house or put towards college.
Have you considered mutual funds or ETFs to spread your risk out a little bit? I know they’re not very exciting but there are a lot of good ones out there with good returns over the time.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Have you considered mutual funds or ETFs to spread your risk out a little bit? I know they’re not very exciting but there are a lot of good ones out there with good returns over the time.
I’m a rookie no idea what you are talking about lol.

My parents retirement plan was social security so I have never been around anyone to gain experience.

My former employers 401k was great do I have money in that.

Other than that I have just been putting money into savings accounts and CD’s

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
I’m a rookie no idea what you are talking about lol.

My parents retirement plan was social security so I have never been around anyone to gain experience.

My former employers 401k was great do I have money in that.

Other than that I have just been putting money into savings accounts and CD’s
Mutual funds and ETFs are small portions of many companies that spread your risk out.
I think @Halvecto And or some others would probably explain it better than I can.
No one ever thought General Motors would go bankrupt but they did. I don’t think either of the companies you listed are in danger of that, but nobody thought GM would go under either. A lot of people lost a lot of money when it happened.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Don’t catch falling knives... right now unemployed numbers are skyrocketing.

Buy smaller chunks over time so if it trends downward your average $ per share price is still halfway decent

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Depending on how things go I will likely be buying buying XOM this week. Probably 125/250 shares.
Anyone want to talk me out if it lol

Xring01

Reaction score
Depending on how things go I will likely be buying buying XOM this week. Probably 125/250 shares.
Anyone want to talk me out if it lol

I would avoid all oil/gas stocks.
Primary reason is risk. Its very high risk. (Maybe a short term bounce play). Definitely not long term.
Russia/Saudi’s are not playing nicely, and over supplying oil to the globe.
Even when they figure that out. You still have a huge in flux of electric cars that are being purchased over ICE (internal combustion engine) cars. That impacts the demand side of the equation, putting more pressure on the oil producing nations to work together and reduce supply.

U.S. Is now considered the worlds largest oil producer (by some, but not all), making things even more difficult for the Russians, Saudi’s, Iran, Venezuela, Brazil and on and on and on. Alot of country’s hate that fact.

Take a hard look at all the German Manufactured Car Companys. Take a look at the Annual Volume of Cars sold in 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, pace of 2020. You will see a huge downward trend. There could be alot of reason, but all of them... Electric cars is the future, especially in Europe, where some country’s are reporting 7 out of 10 new cars sold are Teslas... think that report was on Norway, Sweden, something to that effect.

I can continue, but these are just a few reasons why I would not be long XOM right now. ( Or German Car comanys).
Because the financial future doesnt not look good to me right now. Far better plays to consider in todays market.
Stocks go up on two things, Hype and Earnings... If you dont have one or the other, then its not a good stock to purchase.

But thats my opinion. Just another asshole on the internet with one.

Let me know your thoughts on why you think XOM is a good stock to buy, I will consider it.

I for one, like dialog like that, because it makes me see things from someone else’s perspective.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I would avoid all oil/gas stocks.
Primary reason is risk. Its very high risk. (Maybe a short term bounce play). Definitely not long term.
Russia/Saudi’s are not playing nicely, and over supplying oil to the globe.
Even when they figure that out. You still have a huge in flux of electric cars that are being purchased over ICE (internal combustion engine) cars. That impacts the demand side of the equation, putting more pressure on the oil producing nations to work together and reduce supply.

U.S. Is now considered the worlds largest oil producer (by some, but not all), making things even more difficult for the Russians, Saudi’s, Iran, Venezuela, Brazil and on and on and on. Alot of country’s hate that fact.

Take a hard look at all the German Manufactured Car Companys. Take a look at the Annual Volume of Cars sold in 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, pace of 2020. You will see a huge downward trend. There could be alot of reason, but all of them... Electric cars is the future, especially in Europe, where some country’s are reporting 7 out of 10 new cars sold are Teslas... think that report was on Norway, Sweden, something to that effect.

I can continue, but these are just a few reasons why I would not be long XOM right now. ( Or German Car comanys).
Because the financial future doesnt not look good to me right now. Far better plays to consider in todays market.
Stocks go up on two things, Hype and Earnings... If you dont have one or the other, then its not a good stock to purchase.

But thats my opinion. Just another asshole on the internet with one.

Let me know your thoughts on why you think XOM is a good stock to buy, I will consider it.

I for one, like dialog like that, because it makes me see things from someone else’s perspective.
Oil/ Gas isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. Yes more electric cars are being built. But no way are they going to take over the market.
The electrical grid can not support electrical cars.
Last time Exxon was this cheap was 2005.
I won’t need to sell until my oldest graduates high school and she is 10yrs old.
So I think there is a good chance the stock price will be higher than it is now sometime between then and now.

Xring01

Reaction score
Oil/ Gas isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. Yes more electric cars are being built. But no way are they going to take over the market.
The electrical grid can not support electrical cars.
Last time Exxon was this cheap was 2005.
I won’t need to sell until my oldest graduates high school and she is 10yrs old.
So I think there is a good chance the stock price will be higher than it is now sometime between then and now.

I see your reasoning, and raise you.
True or False, there is more oil being produced in 2020, vs 2019, or 2018 or 2017?
True or False, the demand for oil is going down at the moment?
True or False, Electric Vehicles have had a substantial impact to the German Auto Manufactures?
True or False, demand for EV Vehicles is increasing?
True or False, demand for ICE Vehicles is decreasing
Answer all the above, and explain why Oil/Gas will be more profitable in the future than it will be in the past.

Remember two things drive a stock price, Earnings and Hype.

If there is no hype and no increase in earnings, why would the stock value increase?

EV will not take over the market today, but they will slowly erode the market.
Which puts alot less on the demand portion of the equations. Now think about what the majority of the Middle Eastern Economy's are based one. OIL... they have to keep selling boatloads of oil, to keep there economy's running. Because they have no plan B. Which means there is no reason for them to reduce the supply.

Explain to me how the Supply Demand Equation of Oil, benefits the long term price of oil in the future.

As I mentioned before, I do not see a reason to risk anything in that Market, when there are many other options/Markets, that have a much higher probability of a higher ROI (Return on Investment).

OHHH Last thing!, I work in the Electrical Grid Industry.. it can handle alot more Electric Vehicles that you think. Did you know that Ca produces more Renewable power in the day time, than they can consume. Ca pays NV & AZ to take that over generation every day, just to buy Electricity at night from NV & AZ at higher costs... So EV Vehicles an easily charge the Cars in the day time (while sitting at work parking lot) at a huge discount, versus paying other states to take that energy. Thats based on the production we have today... Do you have any idea of the Giga Watts of Re Energy that are coming on line in 2020 alone? or planned for 2021... Again, this is my industry. I dont get a say in how the politicians are dictating the plans, but its not the best use of funds. leave it at that. But that still leaves CA with a huge problem of dealing with a over capacity of Daylight Re Energy, with more coming online. EV Vehicles are the easiest/cheapest way to solve it.

Again, thats just one assholes on the internet opinion....

Last edited:

traquer

Reaction score
I don't know enough about energy stocks to play in it.

I do however think REK might be a good deal in 2020 (inverse ETF on US real estate index)

Xring01

Reaction score
Real Estate traders..

I have been watching SPG for along time now.
Truly kicking myself in the ass for not getting in last week... one dumb mfkr....

Amazing dividend @ 17.98%, was trading at a low... this is one I will be getting in the near future....unless someone has a better one?

traquer

Reaction score
Real Estate traders..

Truly kicking myself in the ass for not getting in last week... one dumb mfkr....

Amazing dividend @ 17.98%, was trading at a low... this is one I will be getting in the near future....unless someone has a better one?

That's a good idea. Malls will be quick to open again. Then sell the stock real quick before they realize no one is actually buying anything lol

Englewood

Reaction score
Real Estate traders..

On the surface, this seems like a terrible idea...Please explain your thoughts.

Xring01

Reaction score
That's a good idea. Malls will be quick to open again. Then sell the stock real quick before they realize no one is actually buying anything lol

Yeah I agree with the majority of your intent.
Hard to turn down great deal of stock thats trading at such a low... Hell it was up 15% today alone.. combined with one hell of a dividend.
Being in the Mall industry is the key reason why I held off.

Xring01

Reaction score
On the surface, this seems like a terrible idea...Please explain your thoughts.
Real Estate REITS
Finding the ones that have a dividend and trading low...
This one stands out from the pack...

But as I mentioned above, the mall industry is the key reason I have held off.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I see your reasoning, and raise you.
True or False, there is more oil being produced in 2020, vs 2019, or 2018 or 2017?
True or False, the demand for oil is going down at the moment?
True or False, Electric Vehicles have had a substantial impact to the German Auto Manufactures?
True or False, demand for EV Vehicles is increasing?
True or False, demand for ICE Vehicles is decreasing
Answer all the above, and explain why Oil/Gas will be more profitable in the future than it will be in the past.

Remember two things drive a stock price, Earnings and Hype.

If there is no hype and no increase in earnings, why would the stock value increase?

EV will not take over the market today, but they will slowly erode the market.
Which puts alot less on the demand portion of the equations. Now think about what the majority of the Middle Eastern Economy's are based one. OIL... they have to keep selling boatloads of oil, to keep there economy's running. Because they have no plan B. Which means there is no reason for them to reduce the supply.

Explain to me how the Supply Demand Equation of Oil, benefits the long term price of oil in the future.

As I mentioned before, I do not see a reason to risk anything in that Market, when there are many other options/Markets, that have a much higher probability of a higher ROI (Return on Investment).

OHHH Last thing!, I work in the Electrical Grid Industry.. it can handle alot more Electric Vehicles that you think. Did you know that Ca produces more Renewable power in the day time, than they can consume. Ca pays NV & AZ to take that over generation every day, just to buy Electricity at night from NV & AZ at higher costs... So EV Vehicles an easily charge the Cars in the day time (while sitting at work parking lot) at a huge discount, versus paying other states to take that energy. Thats based on the production we have today... Do you have any idea of the Giga Watts of Re Energy that are coming on line in 2020 alone? or planned for 2021... Again, this is my industry. I dont get a say in how the politicians are dictating the plans, but its not the best use of funds. leave it at that. But that still leaves CA with a huge problem of dealing with a over capacity of Daylight Re Energy, with more coming online. EV Vehicles are the easiest/cheapest way to solve it.

Again, thats just one assholes on the internet opinion....
Thank you for tough questions I believe you are likely correct on most if not all of them.
You definitely have me thinking twice.
But where I do disagree with you is. There is a difference between generation of power and distribution. If you start having charging stations as a common thing at each house you will have to increase conductor size both primary and secondary as well as transformers.

Xring01

Reaction score
What stocks have any of you bought since the CV19 stock market crash.
Because I stated above, which ones I had purchased.
3 of the 4 have done well. Zoom got me - my crystal ball couldnt forecast the unknown hacking that was going to happen. Now I am wondering to buy more of it to dollar cost avg, or just sell it and replace it with another stock

Xring01

Reaction score
Thank you for tough questions I believe you are likely correct on most if not all of them.
You definitely have me thinking twice.
But where I do disagree with you is. There is a difference between generation of power and distribution. If you start having charging stations as a common thing at each house you will have to increase conductor size both primary and secondary as well as transformers.

I have a Tesla Model S. I personally installed a 80amp breaker in my panel, that charges my car with a 60amp (adjustable dip switch settings inside the tesla wall charger) which allows me 50 miles for every hours its connected. I did not have to change out anything. Installed the Tesla Wall charger. I did not upgrade any wiring feeding my house. The conductors feeding my house are the same ones of when it was built. And I meet all Ca Codes

For the most part, most Tesla charger installs are at 50 amp breakers, charging at 40amps, which is 29-30miles/hour.

Englewood

Reaction score
What stocks have any of you bought since the CV19 stock market crash.
Because I stated above, which ones I had purchased.
3 of the 4 have done well. Zoom got me - my crystal ball couldnt forecast the unknown hacking that was going to happen. Now I am wondering to buy more of it to dollar cost avg, or just sell it and replace it with another stock
PCG an UAL stock.

Xring01

Reaction score
I bought up a significant share of PCG, may buy more at todays prices.

Please explain the UAL purchase. Thats an industry that I havent even considered since CV 19.

Englewood

Reaction score

Xring01

Reaction score
My thought is that they are "too big to fail". Long term play. It was almost $100. I also like CAT and Boeing.

Careful with PCG - https://www.barrons.com/articles/ca...fic-gas-electric-bankruptcy-court-51586196888

In the airline industry, Boeing was the play I was looking at, prior to CV19... I hadnt considered any of the individual airlines. Liked Boeing as a long term play due to tthe devaluation of 737 Max issues. With CV19, how many company's have $$$ to buy new planes. So I personally would not buy Boeing at this point. Maybe later.

CAT- well thats just a great company, that gets the job done.

PCG - well they are in my industry. I am confident it will be a $35 stock in two years after they come out of BK. So a huge upside potential, with very little downside. When cash starts flowing again. The financials will dictate it to be $35 stock.

Again, thats just my opinions

ka0tyk

Reaction score
Disney is a good buy. You are looking for long term so wait until there is a positive sign in the news about COVID. You might not get in on the bottom (only the lucky do), but you will be in way better shape than most.
All of the other day trading advice is nonsense. Don't ever buy into what the winners tell you unless you are very experienced. It's all smoke and mirrors.
A fugazy. -The Wolf ;)

dont buy disney anytime soon... they just announced they're giving refunds and not charging annual passholders until the parks re-open. also they're not extending annual passes for the closure time. thats gonna piss a lot of customers off, also theres no income at all during closure...

SLT Kota

Reaction score
Real Estate REITS
Finding the ones that have a dividend and trading low...
This one stands out from the pack...

But as I mentioned above, the mall industry is the key reason I have held off.

It is trading low but I wouldn't trust the dividend to be maintained. Look up CBL, the quarterly dividends a few years ago was more than the current share price (NOT a recommendation, just know the stock)

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
What do you guys think about PG&E trading around $8.50 right now? They’re too big to fail and I’m pretty sure they’ll get a lifeline from either the State Fire Fund or a bailout so it’ll go up eventually, I’m mostly curious if it might drop more?