WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Rope splicing, harness assembly

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
How is everyone splicing ropes? I've read the instructions on DC's page, and managed to tie myself into a huge knot. :grumble:

Boat737

Well used Member
Reaction score
What is the application? Rope loop end?
For 8 strand (the yellow racing stuff) I used a simple half hitch in the middle of the splice. For the 12 strand (AWSA type) I use an overhand knot. That's pretty much permanent, where-as the half hitch affair will allow you to un-do the the loop.

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
I just got a DC Harness, and it comes "dis-assembled." I need to attach the harness ends, the front handle, and then a loop or end to end splice for the main line.

This should be easy, it's just freaking rope:smackbum:

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
How is everyone splicing ropes? I've read the instructions on DC's page, and managed to tie myself into a huge knot. :grumble:

Hmm,, fairly easy to show you in person, not sure if I can explain in writing. I never had a fid,, just melt the end but used my fingers to make sure the end stays small and smooth, quickly so I don't catch molten plastic, thus burning the heck out of my fingers.

One super important point, after you are done, push the melted end out of the rope so the melted spot can be clipped off, otherwise the rop will wear and eventually break at the spot were the end is.

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
http://www.ropeinc.com/sp10_sbraid_eye_bury.htm

I can follow this, easy to do, but does not seem like it would hold very well:headscratch:

i can understand where 737 is talking about, and just throw a basic knot over it all after it's finished (between "a,b" and "c" in the final pic). But i know knots weaken ropes by 30% or so, and a decent splice weakens 10%

I understand why they invented velcro:deadhorse:

obnoxious001

Reaction score
His explanation of the knot is correct.

Take care in setting up your handles so they will be even. That front handle is kind of a personal preference type of thing, and your ability and speed may vary where that is going to feel the best for you.

Boat737

Well used Member
Reaction score
http://www.ropeinc.com/sp10_sbraid_eye_bury.htm

I can follow this, easy to do, but does not seem like it would hold very well:headscratch:

i can understand where 737 is talking about, and just throw a basic knot over it all after it's finished (between "a,b" and "c" in the final pic). But i know knots weaken ropes by 30% or so, and a decent splice weakens 10%

Exactly, just make sure not to do an over hand knot, unless you want to make it pretty much un-doable. The half-hitch will allow you to un-do it, especially useful for handle placement. That will take some trial and error for sure. With the half-hitch, I like at least 12 in., up to about 15 in. of burried splice, with the half-hitch loop about 1/2 way. With the overhand knot, put the knot right at the end of the eye where the burried splice starts (I think A-B in your picture) and leave about 8-10 in. burried.

The comment above about cutting off the melted end is right on. If the melted blob is left on the end, it will wear the rope and weaken it. I use a fid mostly, but in a pinch a bic lighter melting the end works good (I only did that when a fid was not available)

For the end loops, I always thought bigger was better. It makes fishing the line/handles through much easier. Minimum 6 in., up to about 8 in. preferably.

Last edited:

Yellowboat

Reaction score
Having a fid makes life alot easier. A folding rigging knife with a blade on one side and a fid on the other is my tool of choice... bought mine back in my coastie days.

hallow fids( which are less then $10) do make short work of tasks like forming loops, but I'm old school...

Boat737

Well used Member
Reaction score
Ski and marine stores usually have plastic fids (a couple different sizes) for just a few bucks. And they do make life easier.

And...

boat527

Reaction score
Heres my DC :
DSC00375.JPG

Heres my practice wrap:
DSC00376.JPG

Handle:

DSC00377.JPG

DSC00378.JPG

Takes a bit of time , but you will figure it out.

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
Heres my DC :
DSC00375.JPG

Heres my practice wrap:
DSC00376.JPG

Handle:

DSC00377.JPG

DSC00378.JPG

Takes a bit of time , but you will figure it out.

There we go... took 30 min after seeing a few pics. I was having trouble @ the front handle, trying to make it a pass thru deal.

Thanks everyone, greatly appreciated. Acid test is Tuesday evening

obnoxious001

Reaction score
There we go... took 30 min after seeing a few pics. I was having trouble @ the front handle, trying to make it a pass thru deal.

Thanks everyone, greatly appreciated. Acid test is Tuesday evening

I used to loop mine through the front handle, so it could be adjusted to different positions, but I used to make up my own polycarbonate handles.