WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

rope

rivergames

Reaction score
Where do I get a new Ski Rope from? I have my wraps sitting at my house, but rope that was connected to my wraps snapped. Plus what length would be good to run with? 100'?

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
Where do I get a new Ski Rope from? I have my wraps sitting at my house, but rope that was connected to my wraps snapped. Plus what length would be good to run with? 100'?

Rope length is going to be entirely dependent on the type of skiing you are doing, and then if you are racing, it will depend on your speed, as well as even the boat and water conditions.

SGettmann

Reaction score
Rope length is going to be entirely dependent on the type of skiing you are doing, and then if you are racing, it will depend on your speed, as well as even the boat and water conditions.

Barry is correct. Here are my thoughts, for skiing behind the 20' Schiada at higher speeds, that wake gets rather narrow at the higher speeds. At 89 mph, there's about 6" of air underneath each outer chine.

For racing on smooth (Parker or ClearLake), 220'@ 85mph is quite nice. The tight turns @ Parker with a longer rope can be a little uncomfortable. Good ski rope won't suckin the water, and watch the clasp on the top of the turn boueys. Starting off, I skied on 180' rope till this season, then was told to go longer - which made a big different.

When I take my 360 out, I'm on a 90' rope cutting back and forth. This is where I do most of my training.

hope this helps - sean

obnoxious001

Reaction score
Barry is correct. Here are my thoughts, for skiing behind the 20' Schiada at higher speeds, that wake gets rather narrow at the higher speeds. At 89 mph, there's about 6" of air underneath each outer chine.

For racing on smooth (Parker or ClearLake), 220'@ 85mph is quite nice. The tight turns @ Parker with a longer rope can be a little uncomfortable. Good ski rope won't suckin the water, and watch the clasp on the top of the turn boueys. Starting off, I skied on 180' rope till this season, then was told to go longer - which made a big different.

When I take my 360 out, I'm on a 90' rope cutting back and forth. This is where I do most of my training.

hope this helps - sean

I would say 180' is a good starting length, depending on the speed of the skier. It's easy enough to add extensions as you get faster. You should probably plan on a new rope each season, to try to insure that one doesn't break and cost you a race.

To reinforce what I said above about different lengths, I have always trained on a 360 with about a 60' rope behind an outboard, 90' is way too long for me. Things "happen" faster with the shorter rope, and I am rarely inside the wake anyway.

mitchy

Reaction score
Hey guys,

On the tighter races over here in OZ, we run anywhere between 200' - 220' up to about 90mph / 100mph. On the straighter races we run anywhere up to 250' or 260'. The big boys are running 300' when they get up around the 120mph mark.

Hang on and keep wavin' up
Ski Racer's World - Water Ski Racing's Social Network

obnoxious001

Reaction score
Hey guys,

On the tighter races over here in OZ, we run anywhere between 200' - 220' up to about 90mph / 100mph. On the straighter races we run anywhere up to 250' or 260'. The big boys are running 300' when they get up around the 120mph mark.

Hang on and keep wavin' up
Ski Racer's World - Water Ski Racing's Social Network

The racing here in the US is quite a bit different. We basically don't have any races where the skier starts at one end of the river and skis to the other end, they have make turns, deal with boat chop not only from boats running the other direction on the course, but running side by side and. Speeds usually are not has high here because the water is rougher, etc.

racerden

Boat #197
Reaction score

Race rope is different than conventional ski rope because of the of the number braids and their sizing. Mike Bemos sells good quality race rope at a good price. I believe he has a website, if not hit 411... he's in Lake Arrowhead.
Denny
________
Weed Vaporizer

Last edited:

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score

I picked up a rope today from Endos. They had quite a few in stock.

obnoxious001

Reaction score
Bemis was $100 for 150' And the ends were not done.

Sometimes it might be good to talk to your friends, or you could even check with me. Why did you get such a long rope, you gonna race?

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Sometimes it might be good to talk to your friends, or you could even check with me. Why did you get such a long rope, you gonna race?

dona wanted a 150' rope for race for xmas.

I just got me a bridle so I need a 75-100' for play. What can you get me?

obnoxious001

Reaction score
dona wanted a 150' rope for race for xmas.

I just got me a bridle so I need a 75-100' for play. What can you get me?

Oh,, you got a bridle,, must have been from a real good friend, nice!

Lets talk about length if you are training,, I think 75' is a bit long, especially considering how long that bridle is too.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Oh,, you got a bridle,, must have been from a real good friend, nice!

Lets talk about length if you are training,, I think 75' is a bit long, especially considering how long that bridle is too.

I think he wants to borrow my ski so he gave me a good gift ;)

Well what length should I go? and did that rope deal ever come through?

hallett21

Reaction score
why do you guys practice with such short ropes? I always figured you would want to practice on what you raced with.

obnoxious001

Reaction score
why do you guys practice with such short ropes? I always figured you would want to practice on what you raced with.

That's a good question,, let me do my best to explain.

For the most part, it's not real practical to practice at racing speeds, either due to speed laws,, or crowded water, not to mention the expense of running a boat at high speeds, fuel and maintenance. Once a skier is somewhat proficient on a racing ski, many skiers only practice on shorter skis at "recreational" speeds. Using the shorter rope just makes reaction time that much quicker between the skier and the boat, and normally a serious skier is going to be constantly cutting back and forth across the wake. That keeps the skier constantly working,, and at a speed faster than the boat,, and cutting across the wakes in any water conditions is great practice.

Certainly a skier trying to learn how to ride a racing ski should use a rope long enough for the speeds they are running. Too long and it's lots of extra work for the skier just keeping the rope from bouncing in the water, or just dropping completely into the water on the turns and trying to drag the skier in with it.

How fast are you guys currently skiing,, and I will give you a starting point on rope length?