WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Router / Modem combo questions?

REVENGE 97

Reaction score
I have been using a router/modem combo for ever but I constantly lose my WiFi connection. I originally had a less expensive one that seamed to work well for a year or so but finally I was having so many issues I upgraded to a more expensive model. This unit seemed to take care of my issues but now I'm having issues again. I can't figure out why my WiFi is such a pain in the ass. I restart it so many times that I should just keep it off. I have two cell phones, two laptops, a printer and a smart TV that are connected in my network, I bought a extender that I put in my Livingroom to see if that would help and I keep loosing it. Any suggestions on equipment or?, Thanks

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
I have been using a router/modem combo for ever but I constantly lose my WiFi connection. I originally had a less expensive one that seamed to work well for a year or so but finally I was having so many issues I upgraded to a more expensive model. This unit seemed to take care of my issues but now I'm having issues again. I can't figure out why my WiFi is such a pain in the ass. I restart it so many times that I should just keep it off. I have two cell phones, two laptops, a printer and a smart TV that are connected in my network, I bought a extender that I put in my Livingroom to see if that would help and I keep loosing it. Any suggestions on equipment or?, Thanks
I have a Netgear Nighthawk AC3200 Modem/Router combo and never have issues like you are talking about. Who is your ISP? We have Spectrum and whenever it has gone down, it was a Spectrum issue and I think that only happened one time last year.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score

I highly recommend separating the modem from the router, ie use two separate boxes. The technical name is called "Bridging" basically the shitty ISP modem hands off all responsibility and it's IP addresses to the separate router.

There are so many great routers out there, and if you have any technical skills you can even install something like OpenWRT on the router that opens up endless features depending on how you use devices etc.

The linksys AC1900s are excellent boxes.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
I had a modem/router combo and had the same issues as you. The unit would reset constantly and was annoying as hell. Finally I called spectrum and separated them again. They boosted my speed and now internet is fast as ever. And never drops. Happy camper

REVENGE 97

Reaction score
I have a Netgear Nighthawk AC3200 Modem/Router combo and never have issues like you are talking about. Who is your ISP? We have Spectrum and whenever it has gone down, it was a Spectrum issue and I think that only happened one time last year.
I have Xfinity / Comcast and they always say it's me and not them, they do a router restart from their end and everything seems fine for a while but a short while. I constantly have to reboot my printer and laptop WiFi. When you connect one then the other drops? when I run a speed test I have 112.3 download and 5.75 upload

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
I had the same thing happen last year with Suddenlink. I was going bananas. Finally they sent someone that actually worked for Suddenlink and not a subcontractor of which I didn’t know they did. Anyway the the guy told me it wasn’t me but something with the voltage or amps or whatever was too high coming from the telephone pole. He put in a service ticket and they came out with a bucket truck and since then been great. Next time I have a problem, I will know to ask for someone from the company.

Last edited:

The Prisoner

Reaction score
Forgot to mention I probably wasted a few hundred dollars on trying different routers too…. For nothing. 😡

REVENGE 97

Reaction score
I had the same thing happen last year with Suddenlink. I was going bananas. Finally they sent someone that actually worked for Suddenlink and not a subcontractor of which I didn’t know they did. Anyway the the guy told me it wasn’t me but something with the voltage or amps or whatever was too high coming from the telephone pole. He put in a service ticket and they came out with a bucket truck and since then been great. Next time I have a problem, I will know to ask for someone from the company.
A good friend of mine that works inside Verizon says to get a battery back up so I won't have any voltage drops for my systems, that's a couple hundred bucks

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
A good friend of mine that works inside Verizon says to get a battery back up so I won't have any voltage drops for my systems, that's a couple hundred bucks
Just buy a cheap stand-alone UPS and plug the router into it 👍

The Prisoner

Reaction score
Battery back ups/surge protection is a good idea but in my case the electrical problem was causing their own equipment high on the telephone pole to go bonkers. Anything I had on my end inside the house would have made no difference.
As a side note, the subcontractors just want to get in and out. One guy changed my coax ends behind the couch that have never been messed with. While loose coax can cause trouble, that wasn’t the problem.

Gonefishin5555

Reaction score
I use a combo unit and I had the sudden link guy out and the drops no longer happen. There was some little wire issue but he also left to test the neighborhood connection which I think was the problem. I pay for 200gb and it come through at 215-220gb

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
with Suddenlink I have seen the problem a lot is no grounding on the line coming in. It need the shield grounded to something and a lot of the installers didn't hook one up.

USMC2010

Reaction score
I have never had good signals from any combo unit, Frontier, Suddenlink and AT&T fiber, all different and they all suck.

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
I have a surfboard modem and a asus ac-rt5300. Never have an issue. Sorry did have the asus as my router. Now I use a dell pc loaded with ddwrt and no issues.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Another tip for WiFi performance...... locate the router up high. If you can put it in the attic, even better. That way the signal isn't going through as many things that degrade and slow/weake the speed/signal. I did this in my last house with our Netgear Nighthawk and went from having 2 rooms with solid service to the whole house with solid coverage. It truly makes a big difference.