WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Router question

Outnumbered

Don't tax me bro!
Reaction score
I want to add a few ethernet ports in my house. I have a wireless router with 4 ports. If I want to go to 8 ports and keep the wireless too, can I add a splitter or do I need an entirely new router? Do they make an 8 port wireless? Thx

Reactions: ROC

72Hondo

Reaction score
Are you saying you have a router which is a wireless/wired but it only has four Ethernet ports?

Paul65k

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!
Reaction score
You need to add a network switch (4 port).....they are readily available and cost $20 - 40 for home applications. The switch is technically slower than directly into the router but in a home application you shouldn't see the difference. I would recommend that you drive the highest volume devices (video downloading, external HDD directly off the router and the rest of the devices on the switch......even though you probably wouldn't see the difference.

You can get these devices online, at Fry's or even at Staples/Office Depot/Walmart if you are looking for something tonight.......plug and play, no set-up required.:thumbsup:thumbsup

Outnumbered

Don't tax me bro!
Reaction score
You need to add a network switch (4 port).....they are readily available and cost $20 - 40 for home applications. The switch is technically slower than directly into the router but in a home application you shouldn't see the difference. I would recommend that you drive the highest volume devices (video downloading, external HDD directly off the router and the rest of the devices on the switch......even though you probably wouldn't see the difference.

You can get these devices online, at Fry's or even at Staples/Office Depot/Walmart if you are looking for something tonight.......plug and play, no set-up required.:thumbsup:thumbsup

So this just plugs into one of my existing 4 ethernet ports?

Paul65k

Reaction score
Are you saying you have a router which is a wireless/wired but it only has four Ethernet ports?
That's pretty much the standard for home Router/Access points.....almost every one I have seen was set up this way.

To expand on my previous post.....the nice thing about a switch is that you can locate it at the end of a cable run (from router) and then run multiple devices from there. For instance if you had an office with a computer or 2, a printer and another device you could simply run one line to the Network switch in the office and run the rest of the stuff on the switch.

You can have more than one Network switch in your network (they come in 4/8/16/32 port configurations) but you shouldn't run a switch off of another switch....it works but really slows things down.

Outnumbered

Don't tax me bro!
Reaction score
That's pretty much the standard for home Router/Access points.....almost every one I have seen was set up this way.

To expand on my previous post.....the nice thing about a switch is that you can locate it at the end of a cable run (from router) and then run multiple devices from there. For instance if you had an office with a computer or 2, a printer and another device you could simply run one line to the Network switch in the office and run the rest of the stuff on the switch.

You can have more than one Network switch in your network (they come in 4/8/16/32 port configurations) but you shouldn't run a switch off of another switch....it works but really slows things down.

Thanks.

Any good brands or models or are they basically all the same?

Also, will this set up still be faster than a wireless connection?

Paul65k

Reaction score
Thanks.

Any good brands or models or are they basically all the same?

Also, will this set up still be faster than a wireless connection?
You will most likely find Linksys/Netgear or D-Link in the retail stores.......they are all fine and will work with any router. If you have a router made by one of these companies and find a switch from the same manufacturer that's a bonus but by no means a requirement.;)

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Not sure where you are out of. I have hundreds of 10/100/1000 switches. You can have one. I have a bunch if 24 port fanless HP ones. Overkill but hey that is what this site is all about. We have various small ones as well. If you do not feel like driving to HB I can have my shop guy drop one and some patch cables in the mail. Shoot me a PM.

SJP

Outnumbered

Don't tax me bro!
Reaction score
Not sure where you are out of. I have hundreds of 10/100/1000 switches. You can have one. I have a bunch if 24 port fanless HP ones. Overkill but hey that is what this site is all about. We have various small ones as well. If you do not feel like driving to HB I can have my shop guy drop one and some patch cables in the mail. Shoot me a PM.

SJP

Very cool. I'm in phoenix. I'd be glad to pay for the shipping. I need about 5 more ports. I have cat5 throughout my house and would like to take advantage of he ethernet speeds for the blueray players. Plus setting up a new home office that needs some ethernet runs.

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Just saw your in AZ. Shoot me your address and I will shoot you the equipment. On a gig switch it is going to be usually better performance to patch in to the switch. Anytime you can plug your AV, Apple TV, etc direct into a switch and then access from the WAP on your phone, tablets and laptops things will work much smoother. Someone will reply and contradict this post WTF do I know? :D

Paul65k

Reaction score
Just saw your in AZ. Shoot me your address and I will shoot you the equipment. On a gig switch it is going to be usually better performance to patch in to the switch. Anytime you can plug your AV, Apple TV, etc direct into a switch and then access from the WAP on your phone, tablets and laptops things will work much smoother. Someone will reply and contradict this post WTF do I know? :D
Sam knows way more about this shit than I do.....I'd take what he tells you as gospel:thumbup:

Outnumbered

Don't tax me bro!
Reaction score

SJP

Wow, SJP you are awesome! Got my switches today. Very nice equipment. Thanks so much!

C-2

Reaction score
Trendnet te100-s8; I have several in the house, 8 ports each, they are a stout little device, literally, plug and play.

Oops, a little late. :)

C-2

Reaction score

Funny, now that I have gone thur Cisco and some other classes, I re-fired up that Netscreen 5GT Firewall I picked up from you a few years back. Thing is bad ass, now that I understand it better. :thumbup:

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Wow, SJP you are awesome! Got my switches today. Very nice equipment. Thanks so much!

Enjoy - I figured to send you out two in case something happens etc etc. Just keep it as a spare. If you are linking together and requiring more than 48 ports of switch density in your home more than likely someone like paradise will be there doing home automation and may want to put in something different with PoE. :D

Let me know if there are any issues.

SJP

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Funny, now that I have gone thur Cisco and some other classes, I re-fired up that Netscreen 5GT Firewall I picked up from you a few years back. Thing is bad ass, now that I understand it better. :thumbup:

The ScreenOS platform is extremely stable and secure. A cult following a businesses and engineers run on this networking gear even though Juniper has release the SRX line running JUNOS. Not sure if the 5gt is new enough but if you pick up an SSG5 it will be licensed to support BGP in like a $100 eBay value.

I hate talking shop on this site. I come here to escape. :D