WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Roy Schrader | Fearless – Faithful – Fun-loving – Forever-Friend

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Roy Schrader
Fearless – Faithful – Fun-loving – Forever-Friend

Words by Dinarella

To know Roy Schrader was to instantly love this special soul from the first moment you met him. And boy does everyone have a story about where he or she first met Roy – whether it was over a few shots of his favorite top shelf tequila and (equally adored cheese/carrot cake concoction) at Shugrues or Babaloos; bumping into him with his daily breakfast buddy Chris Drew at Rusty’s; stopping by his horsepower-laden shop for him to masterfully machine some 5-axis parts; or crossing wakes on the lake when he was in his happy place with family and friends hanging on and hollering in his Eliminator, or another of his aquatic obsessions from his collection. Keeping up with Roy and his toys was a daily challenge; high-performance horsepower ran through his veins to his brain.

Regardless of how he came into your life, the amiable and always-smiling Roy, had the persona of a rock star that people would flock to be around. And at six-foot-two, that Schrader smile shined above and beyond. As he watched the world go by, he had nothing to prove – only good vibes, passion and positive light to add to the moment. As a giver, he did everything he could for people, damn he didn’t even have to know you, and he would go out of his way to help you (always asking little in return). He was happy to teach you, tell you a funny story, text you a hilarious “Schrader style” meme, or take care of your tab without saying a word. That was the generous gentleman Roy was!

1 Roy y yo key west.JPG

2 desert storm 21.JPG

3 Roy and Charlie at his shop.jpeg

4 desert storm roy chris mark 19.JPG

5 Roy Schrader drag boat days.jpeg

After spending a month out in LHC at his home, I started calling him the Godfather of Havasu – he knew everyone, everywhere we went. And if he didn’t know the peeps sitting next to us at dinner or the bar, by the time we left, we both knew them. But deep down, Roy was actually rather private and what mattered most to him was the happiness of his siblings, his daughter Sara and his six year old granddaughter Charlie, the absolute apple of his eye. His life revolved around Charlie, from picking her up in the Calvary Christian school car line three days a week, to taking her out on the boat, to more long term dreams he envisioned for her future.

Godfather may be what I called him in his social circles – GENIUS is what I called him when it came to his work. Back in California, at an early age he started Get Real, his billet hardware and custom boat parts company in the Santa Barbara area. And rightfully titled, there was no one more real than Roy Schrader. He worked his whole life tirelessly pulling all-nighters to meet deadlines fulfilling orders, even sacrificing his yearly trek to the Key West Worlds a few times due to big projects he had to complete. He’s done everything from the gas caps for DCB to support pieces for umbrellas. One time down in Key West, we were all sitting around the pool at this resort, and I’ll never forget, he said, “Look up, you see those pieces, I made them.” He had a talent like no other for his craft. Apart from being a perfectionist, he was a mentor to the younger generation of machinists always eager to recommend a better solution, but more importantly, explain to them how and why it should be that way.

After I saw our friend and RDP member Tank’s gold Cigarette necklace, I didn’t shut up about it and it led to Roy making me numerous Dinarella necklaces. He dedicated hours writing the codes. I was fascinated by the way his mind effortlessly worked as he attempted to teach me all that was entailed. In the end, he tooled and cut several different sizes and versions until he was completely satisfied they were perfect.

6 roy schrader a master.jpeg

6B roys necklaces for dina.JPG

7 shugrus roy angela yo.JPG

8 roy los algodones 21.JPG

While I watched him create masterpieces in the shop, I spent a lot of my time in his office working on editorial for RDP and LCC. When he read the Supercat Fest West story, he laughed and with a big grin said, “You finally mentioned me in a story.” I’ll always treasure his Schrader-eque joking, and I had to laugh right back because all that I had mentioned in the story was that I was “sitting on Acoma Blvd in his office writing the story.”

After he made that comment, it got me thinking… I never wrote anything about this brilliant man who I was proud to call my big brother ever since we first met during his professional offshore racing days with Hidden Agenda twenty years prior (though his racing career stretches back to the drag boat days before my time.) What he didn’t know was I planned to surprise him with a story on his new red and black 28’ Skater once he got the engines in and it went from sitting on the tilt trailer decorating the back wall of his shop, to bringing him triple-digit joy running through the chop.

I’d say MACHINE or any derivative of it was his favorite word. If he was not running a machine, he’d be gunning it in one of his big-boy Roy-toy machines. No matter if it was in the water, on land or over sand, he had a thing for anything with an engine. Uhm, let me re-phrase that– anything with a fast engine. He had a knack for making things that already go fast, go just a little faster. His need for speed drew out his sense of humor a lot; he would just shake his head no whenever the slight mention of a center console or pontoon entered our conversations.

He had more boats, bikes and trikes than I have shoes…just to get to his water cooler in the back room, I had to pass by, over or under countless crafts and cool stuff, but as a Skater Nation disciple and close friend of Peter Hledin, I’d have to say Roy will always be remembered as a Skater brother. He actually had another one on the way, but sadly never took delivery of his newest cat. When he called me last month the same week he was supposed to be picking it up, I assumed he was motoring along in his big red truck listening to his favorite song “Turn the Page” by Bob Seger on repeat, on some interstate between Florida and Arizona pulling his prized possession back west… never did I expect to hear he was calling me from ICU.

There are so many people I would like to mention that were integral parts of Roy’s life, but since I would not want to forget anyone (nor do I know everyone whose life he touched), instead of me contacting you all for your quotes and stories, I’d love for you to add your personal firsthand experiences in the comments section below here. Share something special about Roy that would make him smile: how he came into your life; a funny time you shared together; a piece of wisdom he shed on you; or elaborate on a game-changing custom boat part he fabricated for you.

I couldn’t end without thanking Stacy, River Dave and the RDP members who were willing to do whatever was needed to get him out of the hellacious Havasu hospital he was suffering in. But most importantly I must recognize Damon LaBlue. Not only was he Roy’s architect and a dedicated friend, but as a professional EMT, he was a crucial figure fighting the disgusting medical tyranny in the Disunited States of Unamerica on Roy’s behalf during these last tragic weeks.

Roy’s powerboating legacy will live on through Damon. He will be racing his Sleekcraft at the LOTO Shootout at the end of this month in his honor, for it was Roy who gave him the performance exhaust for the motors and the K-planes – out of his excitement to see the boat pushed beyond all expectations.

To me and all that knew this ray of sunshine -- he was our “Roy of Sunshine.” I would have never imagined this would be my Roy Schrader story. To my big brother, I’m forever grateful for our decades-long friendship! I love you Roy and sure you are teaching God and all of heaven a thing or two about speedboats and CNC machines right now. RRIP- REST and RACE IN PEACE!

Dinarella xo

Memorial arrangements are in the process of being made, please check back to RDP.

9 Hallwn Party 04 1.JPG

10 roy n steve.JPG

11 roy larry steve.JPG

12 yo karen roy.JPG

13 ricks todos.JPG

14 yo dad marilyn roy 2011 kw.JPG

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
What a great memoriam to a man who clearly meant the world to you and others. RIP the world and his family and friends lost a good man

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
RIP Roy. You’re loved by so many and will forever be a legend of the boating world 😢

zbudman

Coors Light Strong
Reaction score
If it’s the same Roy Schrader, I knew him somewhat when he lived in Goleta north of Santa Barbara. He had an awesome blown hemi 69 Road Runner. RIP Roy

DLC

Reaction score
What a great Man ! With a sad ending!

RIP Roy! Wish you ALL the Morning Glass that you can handle!

It’s sad seems like we are loosing more and more of the best generation, way to soon!

sorry for your loss RD!

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Nice tribute Dave. [emoji106]. RIP my friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
He was a name I knew, and a face I'd seen, but not a man I ever got the chance to "know". I'd seen some of his custom machine work on various projects, and skills like that have always impressed me. The ability to convert a piece of metal into a product...to "speak" with the machines.

Race In Paradise, Roy, calmer waters lay ahead...

Outlaw Boat Transport

Reaction score
As I considered him one of my best friends, I can't say enough about him. We ate dinner every time I was in Havasu and had great conversations. I will truly miss my friend. Like others have said he would help and do anything for others including taking my boat from storage to a mechanic if I was back in los angeles. Always offered to help. I feel for his granddaughter, she was the light and love of his life. Roy I will miss you so much I don't have enough words. Love you buddy
Jeff Murray

Tank

Reaction score
Wait, what!? I'm in shock right now. When did this happen? How did I miss this? We just saw and hung out with Roy and Dina at Super Cat Fest in April. I'm dumbfounded. How did he pass? Holy shit.............

Tank

Reaction score
Lost his battle with Covid...RIP Roy
Just got off the phone with AJ. Wow. This really sucks. Now I get RD's post about COVID concerns. Man. I just can't believe this. :(

HBCraig

Reaction score
Very well set and a true tribute to a man. That meant so much to so many.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
If it’s the same Roy Schrader, I knew him somewhat when he lived in Goleta north of Santa Barbara. He had an awesome blown hemi 69 Road Runner. RIP Roy

Same Roy

mrqp1

QPM
Reaction score
Although we had known each other for over 35 years, we became great friends when we were building Kap's DW.
He was truly the most innovative, creative & best machinist I have ever known.
He would help & guide anyone, even when you asked stupid questions.
He was truly an amazing man & friend.
He will will always be remembered.
I will miss him...

Yldboyz

Reaction score
Great stories I've heard about him and his generosity. That was a good read.

RIP

Reactions: C-2

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
Sadly never had the opportunity to meet this great man. RIP

KAP

Reaction score
Preface: What a worthy write up and tribute by our mutual friend Dina Rella. I want to thank you for writing such a great and worthy tribute article about Roy.

Get Real Roy:

Roy was introduced to me by Rob Clarke who said Roy has some billet stuff you really need to take a look at. I input his name in my phone as Get Real Roy...why? so I knew which Roy it was in my contacts. Roy was a person one can only hope to meet during their lifetime a truly genuine, down to earth and humble soul.

Roy was a genius machinist [a term I do not throw around] if you could think it and draw it he could build it for you no problem. The real work horse of his company was doing aerospace and private projects for large companies requiring top notch machine work. Now on the flip side "Get Real Performance" a company Roy owned and it was the fun side of what he loved....making billet boat hardware. It was the creative/fun side of his talents and he was over the top in everything he made or did. What do I mean. No sooner than he had the part in the Haas CNC machine clamped down he would say...Oh I can make it better. Talking about boat parts Roy's face would immediately light up and that chesire grin smile of his would come beaming out. Roy was a self made man and worked hard to be able to move from Goleta to Havasu in order to enjoy life more and be closer to the lake.

Roy did not know what mediocrity was, always a perfectionist and in the machine world that is the key along with creativity that made him one of... if not the best in the business. During the time I was building my 32 DW I called Roy and asked him.... "hey I want you to outfit the boat with all GET REAL parts". He said really Kap... I said absolutely, from fuel fills, seat bases, battery boxes, trim tank reservoirs, to engineered hinges. The DW was completely outfitted by Roy...except for the foot pedestals [done by the late Dana]. No one could touch Roy's quality, engineering and finish. Now I say this because two of my boats have a lot of his handiwork built in them. If you asked Roy to make a part for your boat you had something special. If you doubt this ask anyone at Skater, Schiada, DCB, or Eliminator they all used or summoned Roy for his billet parts. I am proud and it is with a great deal of sadness...that wherever I go in my boats Roy will always be with me.

Roy's personality, his demeanor was always kind and approachable, If I introduced Roy to anyone they immediately felt comfortable around him his blue collar personality always shined through socially. That is until I started bragging about how they were in the presence of a billet genius who could make any boat part and transform their boat into a talking point. Roy shrugged off such praise and was always a humble guy who believed his work making boat parts was more play/fun than work. Plus he said it allowed him to meet the best of people as all his boating friends were some of his best and closest friends. I struggle to write this as I get very emotional just thinking about him not being around to talk boats with...something we did every week.

Quick story...I was at the shop and Roy had 5 boats in front and during the 3 hours numerous people would come up and ask who the salesperson was for the boats parked out front....laughing. One thing about Roy is he had projects everywhere. I would frequently annoy him by saying "hey you ever gonna finish that boat or that boat so we can actually see how it performs". Roy's. reply... "oh yeah Kap I am going to do this and that and you watch it's gonna be bitchin." His mind was always 27 steps ahead of what was in front of him and always building a better billet part or custom one off. I wish he was still with us, so we could finish up all the projects and sit back and say yup! that turned out bad azz. I miss him badly even now!

Roy loved going to boating events and seeing him at far away places was like running in to your brother albeit in a different state. We would always meet up wherever he was and or talk and say, hey! you going to that event or this event. Why so we could meet up and make some amazing memories at different boating venues.

Roy was one of a kind and there may be some machinists out there but no one will ever be the creative genius he was and most of all one of my dear friends in life. Our boating community is amazing and everyone who helped Roy during this time has my blessings, love and support. I am truly fortunate to have known Roy and will miss our talks and conversations....as they are priceless memories and experiences.

Where ever you are my friend know that you will live forever in our memories and on our boats. Peace be with you and also with your family... until we meet again.

LOVE KAP

FOOTNOTE: I had so many plans with Roy and I am unable to fulfill them and this kills me that he was taken from us for no reason. I will not get into his cause of death but it most certainly was not Covid and completely unnecessary.

Singleton

Reaction score
RIP Roy.
You were a great friend to many!

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Preface: What a worthy write up and tribute by our mutual friend Dina Rella. I want to thank you for writing such a great and worthy tribute article about Roy.

Get Real Roy:

Roy was introduced to me by Rob Clarke who said Roy has some billet stuff you really need to take a look at. I input his name in my phone as Get Real Roy...why? so I knew which Roy it was in my contacts. Roy was a person one can only hope to meet during their lifetime a truly genuine, down to earth and humble soul.

Roy was a genius machinist [a term I do not throw around] if you could think it and draw it he could build it for you no problem. The real work horse of his company was doing aerospace and private projects for large companies requiring top notch machine work. Now on the flip side "Get Real Performance" a company Roy owned and it was the fun side of what he loved....making billet boat hardware. It was the creative/fun side of his talents and he was over the top in everything he made or did. What do I mean. No sooner than he had the part in the Haas CNC machine clamped down he would say...Oh I can make it better. Talking about boat parts Roy's face would immediately light up and that chesire grin smile of his would come beaming out. Roy was a self made man and worked hard to be able to move from Goleta to Havasu in order to enjoy life more and be closer to the lake.

Roy did not know what mediocrity was, always a perfectionist and in the machine world that is the key along with creativity that made him one of... if not the best in the business. During the time I was building my 32 DW I called Roy and asked him.... "hey I want you to outfit the boat with all GET REAL parts". He said really Kap... I said absolutely, from fuel fills, seat bases, battery boxes, trim tank reservoirs, to engineered hinges. The DW was completely outfitted by Roy...except for the foot pedestals [done by the late Dana]. No one could touch Roy's quality, engineering and finish. Now I say this because two of my boats have a lot of his handiwork built in them. If you asked Roy to make a part for your boat you had something special. If you doubt this ask anyone at Skater, Schiada, DCB, or Eliminator they all used or summoned Roy for his billet parts. I am proud and it is with a great deal of sadness...that wherever I go in my boats Roy will always be with me.

Roy's personality, his demeanor was always kind and approachable, If I introduced Roy to anyone they immediately felt comfortable around him his blue collar personality always shined through socially. That is until I started bragging about how they were in the presence of a billet genius who could make any boat part and transform their boat into a talking point. Roy shrugged off such praise and was always a humble guy who believed his work making boat parts was more play/fun than work. Plus he said it allowed him to meet the best of people as all his boating friends were some of his best and closest friends. I struggle to write this as I get very emotional just thinking about him not being around to talk boats with...something we did every week.

Quick story...I was at the shop and Roy had 5 boats in front and during the 3 hours numerous people would come up and ask who the salesperson was for the boats parked out front....laughing. One thing about Roy is he had projects everywhere. I would frequently annoy him by saying "hey you ever gonna finish that boat or that boat so we can actually see how it performs". Roy's. reply... "oh yeah Kap I am going to do this and that and you watch it's gonna be bitchin." His mind was always 27 steps ahead of what was in front of him and always building a better billet part or custom one off. I wish he was still with us, so we could finish up all the projects and sit back and say yup! that turned out bad azz. I miss him badly even now!

Roy loved going to boating events and seeing him at far away places was like running in to your brother albeit in a different state. We would always meet up wherever he was and or talk and say, hey! you going to that event or this event. Why so we could meet up and make some amazing memories at different boating venues.

Roy was one of a kind and there may be some machinists out there but no one will ever be the creative genius he was and most of all one of my dear friends in life. Our boating community is amazing and everyone who helped Roy during this time has my blessings, love and support. I am truly fortunate to have known Roy and will miss our talks and conversations....as they are priceless memories and experiences.

Where ever you are my friend know that you will live forever in our memories and on our boats. Peace be with you and also with your family... until we meet again.

LOVE KAP

FOOTNOTE: I had so many plans with Roy and I am unable to fulfill them and this kills me that he was taken from us for no reason. I will not get into his cause of death but it most certainly was not Covid and completely unnecessary.
Thank you.

Reactions: KAP

C-2

Reaction score
I'm sure behind the scenes there were many members going balls to the wall trying to help him. Truly selfless acts, especially considering the extra obstacles in place. You guys are awesome.

I didn't know Roy, but I wish him the best on his next journey, and I hope his family finds peace.

What fantastic memorial; a piece of literary art. Well done. If anybody ever needs a guiding light on what to write, or say, to deliver a top-notch eulogy...there it is.

Thanks for sharing it. :)

Headless hula

I’ve found boating heaven in Florida!
Reaction score
Roy and I crossed paths just by chance a few years ago. He was headed to Michigan to pick up his new 28, and I was headed for Shreveport from Cheeseland. I got to see his new boat in person before it got to AZ.

we grabbed some burgers at some shitbox roadside place and shot the breeze for quite a while. Like others have mentioned here, it’s like running into a brother in a different state.
C4845741-666A-477A-8726-EA6B10E36D95.png
1E4C644E-8D25-4909-BBBF-2A6DB02E04B8.png
90AD6970-84F2-4829-B50F-6183C9895855.png

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I am still a wreck over this deal.. to tell you the truth I had to have Austin upload the story abd the pics because everytime I tried I fall apart..

He really was a special person, and I hope he knows how much he meant to not only myself but many others..

hallett21

Reaction score
RIP Roy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Headless hula

I’ve found boating heaven in Florida!
Reaction score
I am still a wreck over this deal.. to tell you the truth I had to have Austin upload the story abd the pics because everytime I tried I fall apart..

He really was a special person, and I hope he knows how much he meant to not only myself but many others..
I think he did. Only knowing him for a few short years, I always looked forward to the phone calls, the wildly inappropriate memes he’d send. Fucking LEGEND.
We went down and watched the drags down in Parker. Ran into so many people that just lit up when they saw him. It was like walking next to a celebrity. 🤣

You gotta remember the good memories. It’s how he’ll live on. In all of us.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
"It's not what you take, when you leave this world behind you.
It's what you leave behind you, when you're gone."
From a Randy Travis song I believe. Lots of truth to it though. A person's actions, or memories shared with others, will live on long after that person.

BUDMAN

HAVASU BOUND
Reaction score
Nice write up. Never knew the guy, but feel as if I do know after reading this. Sorry for the loss of your friend

Wmc

The Mayor
Reaction score
I always had a good time shooting the shit (boat talk) with him. He was always a happy dude. One of the first times I met him in person was a sxs run. That day Roy rolled his brand new Can Am. That day Roy got a new nick name for the dirt. "Roll over Roy "
Drinks next time I see you
received_387082019504667.jpeg

Joker

Reaction score

I’ve never lost a friend like this so i can’t even tell you I know how you feel. I’m sorry you and Roy’s family are having to deal with this after you and others tried so hard to make things work out for him.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I’ve never lost a friend like this so i can’t even tell you I know how you feel. I’m sorry you and Roy’s family are having to deal with this after you and others tried so hard to make things work out for him.

I have lost friends over the years.. Honestly with this it just feels different. I really looked up to Roy, and whenever I wanted to do something I’d run it by him and we’d talk about it.. I would always end up doing it different then when I first thought.

Tank

Reaction score
Woke up this morning and immediately thought about Roy. I wasn't super tight with him but I'd see him at events and we'd always BS. Just a good guy. I met him 10 years ago this Nov in Key West. I was wearing an RDP shirt and he was wearing the same one. We were in Sloppy Joes and he yells at me, hey man, you on RDP? We introduced ourselves and tripped out on the fact he lived only a half hour from us. BS'd with him a bit and from then on out whenever I saw him we'd catch up whether it was in KW or Havasu or wherever. Really bummed he's gone. He was a fantastic part of this hobby we all love and I will miss seeing him and talking to him.

Pic from when we first met.

Roy.jpg

HBCraig

Reaction score
I have lost friends over the years.. Honestly with this it just feels different. I really looked up to Roy, and whenever I wanted to do something I’d run it by him and we’d talk about it.. I would always end up doing it different then when I first thought.
Those are tough guys to lose. The friends that are mentors. I just lost my friend/mentor. He helped me learn the crane business but specifically how to set them up and get the road legal with Caltrans. Dude was legendary. I am now talking to his wife about how much he meant.
Roy seems like the same. A walking help desk. Damnit