WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

RPM 26 Redline w/ Merc 700 Video

rpmpowerboats

Reaction score
Here is a video we shot of a 26 Redline that we repowered with a Merc 700. It has a Stage 2 upgrade and tops out at 126 on the rev limiter. This is by far not a light boat. We weighed it at 5142 lbs with a light load (20-30 gallons) of fuel so it is around 4960 lbs.

It is running the new Vessel View 7 from Mercury. The video does not show the display very well due to the angle of the camera but the new Vessel View is really a nice piece. It does alot more then the marketing literature shows.

Last edited by a moderator:

blacksox

Reaction score
Wow!! That's impressive. Thanks for sharing.:thumbsup

titanpb27

Reaction score
over 100 mph going around the turns in the river ???

That water looks familiar.......

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
That's bad ass that the boat can be trimmed up and running turns on a river that fast!! You're videos are getting better!

RD

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Wow. That boat kicks ass.

Outdrive1

Reaction score
What drive does the boat have?

I'm guessing NXT, I'd like to know what hp. Or are you thinking it has a VI on it because if the original issues with running a single NXT? Shape of the lower etc.

rpmpowerboats

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the compliments.

RD - Thanks for the compliments. The boat is so boring going straight, we have to do something for fun! :)

TitanPB27 - You have no room to talk. I have seen you do stuff (turns, etc.) that owners tear their SH!T up trying to duplicate! You know exactly what I am refering to. And yes, you have been in that exact location with me before.

What drive does the boat have?

It is a NXT Drive. Running the cambered skeg with a little extra tab on it. The cambered skeg is not quite enough for us to run straight up. It is the 1.49:1 ratio running a 16.5" X 38 - 18 degree Hering. The slip is about 9.5%.

As far as where we are running the boat - We test on a very small stretch of river near our shop (Coosa River, Childersburg, Alabama). The good thing is we never get any flack for running anything (no matter how loud and obnoxious!) at any speed. The bad thing is we never get any real chop. Always dead calm. It has some really fun turns as you can see!

rpmpowerboats

Reaction score
I'm guessing NXT, I'd like to know what hp. Or are you thinking it has a VI on it because if the original issues with running a single NXT? Shape of the lower etc.

Sorry Outdrive...I forgot to answer your question. According to Dustin the Stage 2 kit is around 830 HP.

titanpb27

Reaction score
Steve -- I noticed the bridge up ahead....and noticed you didn't go under it at over 100 mph.

That IS the best DRIVING, BEST handling CAT I have ever driven or ridden in. (and I have driven and rode in most all of them under 40 feet. Also super comfortable. Ergonomics are perfect.

Hope to come over prior to the Holidays.

CornWater

Hey Now!!!
Reaction score

I'm a little naive in this arena, but what issues were/are there?

Outdrive1

Reaction score
I'm a little naive in this arena, but what issues were/are there?

With the single they are using a cone that has some camber in it now to offset torque. Also the first boats that got the NXT weren't performing as well as expected, Mercury was substituting the VI drive on the NXT transom. That was all due to the shape or hydrodynamics of the early NXT drives. Or something like that lol.

CornWater

Hey Now!!!
Reaction score
With the single they are using a cone that has some camber in it now to offset torque. Also the first boats that got the NXT weren't performing as well as expected, Mercury was substituting the VI drive on the NXT transom. That was all due to the shape or hydrodynamics of the early NXT drives. Or something like that lol.

News to me... So this issues are fixed now? And if so, what was the fix? Doesn't six have higher hp loss?

Outdrive1

Reaction score
News to me... So this issues are fixed now? And if so, what was the fix? Doesn't six have higher hp loss?

I just did a search on OSO. Some of what I read was that Fountain and Outerlimits were setting the x dimension high and that the VI drives had a longer skeg. Seems like an easy fix, now it really makes me wonder why they would spend the extra coin to fix the problem by substituting drives. I'm guessing the problems have been fixed and you won't ever know what was really going on.

Last edited:

CornWater

Hey Now!!!
Reaction score
I just did a search on OSO. Some of what I read was that Fountain and Outerlimits were setting the x dimension high and that the VI drives had a longer skeg. Seems like an easy fix, now it really makes me wonder why they would spend the extra coin to fix the problem by substituting drives. I'm guessing the problems have been fixed and you won't ever know what was really going on.

Thanks for the info.... News to me, I thought the package was fairly bulletproof.

rpmpowerboats

Reaction score
Thanks for the info.... News to me, I thought the package was fairly bulletproof.

Sorry for the delayed response.

Basically, the NXT is the same as it was when it first came out. Very bulletproof! The only real change is that they offer what they refer to as a cambered skeg option for single engine boats. This skeg is convex on the left side and concave on the right side but only on the lower 25% of the skeg. This acts like a torque tab. If you are not sure what a torque tab is or does, it essentially removes the prop torque by forcing the gearcase to the left to counter act that torque using hydro dynamic pressure. This is extremely important in a #6 style cleaver application (or any over the hub application) due to prop "blow out" caused by the gearcase due to prop torque.

IMO the reason that some manufacturers use the SSM6 instead of the NXT is due to the additional tail lift that you get from the larger gearcase on the NXT upsetting the boat and/or the drag caused by the larger gearcase on a boat where the "X" dimension is too low. Our boat really likes to run at very neutral lift and therefore, the tail lift is not a bad thing. If anything, the boat likes it. If you watch videos of our boats run, you will notice that they are normally not bow high.

BMABITY

Reaction score
Sorry for the delayed response.

Basically, the NXT is the same as it was when it first came out. Very bulletproof! The only real change is that they offer what they refer to as a cambered skeg option for single engine boats. This skeg is convex on the left side and concave on the right side but only on the lower 25% of the skeg. This acts like a torque tab. If you are not sure what a torque tab is or does, it essentially removes the prop torque by forcing the gearcase to the left to counter act that torque using hydro dynamic pressure. This is extremely important in a #6 style cleaver application (or any over the hub application) due to prop "blow out" caused by the gearcase due to prop torque.

IMO the reason that some manufacturers use the SSM6 instead of the NXT is due to the additional tail lift that you get from the larger gearcase on the NXT upsetting the boat and/or the drag caused by the larger gearcase on a boat where the "X" dimension is too low. Our boat really likes to run at very neutral lift and therefore, the tail lift is not a bad thing. If anything, the boat likes it. If you watch videos of our boats run, you will notice that they are normally not bow high.

My F29 with single 700sci and NXT (stage 2), I believe likes to run in a neutral stance as well. I have one of the first cambered skegs designed by Merc and the boat runs straight at any speed with no blowout. The design of the NXT for single applications has worked for me with no additional modifications. I know some have choose to further alter the skeg looking for better results. So far, (knock on wood), I have over 160 hours on the drive with "0" issues, all with running a cleaver in an open bow boat. I plan on doing a full drive tear down this winter to really investigate the drive and see how the gears are holding up, I will post my results when I'm done with the project.

RPM, your boats look awesome in person and really put down some respectful numbers. Thanks for the videos and please continue to post them. :thumbsup

SBjet

El Presidente for Life
Reaction score
Thanks for the thread.
So, 5000 lb boat with 800 hp goes 126 mph? What am I missing? Just curious.

titanpb27

Reaction score
A highly engineered, highly efficient, low aero and hydrodynamic drag co efficient design.