WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

RTV instead of Gasket

vdcruiser

Reaction score
Has anyone used RTV instead of a gasket when putting a timing cover on a BBC without removing the oil pan ? Will it work ? Trying to change the cam in my car without taking the engine out.
I didn't make it real clear, I am talking about between the bottom of the timing cover and the oil pan.

Last edited:

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
the trick to using RTV is not letting any oil touch it untill its completely cured!

all surfaces have to be PERFECTLY clean. use brake clean for the final rub down. use only enuf to make the seal when its compressed (not enuf so its squirtin out all over the place!) and let it dry completly before running the engine, or, lettting any oil even drip/seep onto it.

you should be good if your carefull with it.

steveo143

Reaction score
the trick to using RTV is not letting any oil touch it untill its completely cured!

all surfaces have to be PERFECTLY clean. use brake clean for the final rub down. use only enuf to make the seal when its compressed (not enuf so its squirtin out all over the place!) and let it dry completly before running the engine, or, lettting any oil even drip/seep onto it.

you should be good if your carefull with it.

What he said. Use "Right Stuff" available from Auto Zone, pricey but it works. Score both surfaces if possible, to give the surfaces some "tooth" for the stuff to grab. Let it set up overnight.

Last edited:

racerden

Boat #197
Reaction score
Has anyone used RTV instead of a gasket when putting a timing cover on a BBC without removing the oil pan ? Will it work ? Trying to change the cam in my car without taking the engine out.
I didn't make it real clear, I am talking about between the bottom of the timing cover and the oil pan.
If you are talking about totally eliminating the frnt oil pan lip seal, G'luk. As a former flat-rater (many years past), you can do this however you must use a front lip seal. GasketChinch or lightly silicone it to the T/Cvr and let it dry o'nite. Then apply generous amounts of silicone to the corners and very light amounts to the seal face the next day when installing. It'll work...for a few years.
Hope it helps
________
Flood Insurance Dicussion

Last edited:

Outlaw

Polishing MOFO
Reaction score
then pull your pan when the oil pressure drops and clean the silicone from the pickup,

I personally would pull the engine and do it correctly unless this was at a race and had to do it to finish the race ( just my opinion)

vdcruiser

Reaction score
This deal has a 1 pc oil pan gasket on it now, I just don't see how I can get the timing cover pushed down enough to make the dowels line up with the timing cover, so I thought maybe I could cut the gasket out of the way and use RTV. I didn't want to loosen the pan bolts for fear of causing a leak along the sides

Last edited:

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
This deal has a 1 pc oil pan gasket on it now, I just see how I can get the timing cover pushed down enough to make the dowels line up with the timing cover, so I thought maybe I could cut the gasket out of the way and use RTV. I didn't want to loosen the pan bolts for fear of causing a leak along the sides

Youll be fine. I wouldnt "score" anything though IMHO. Just dont use anymore than you need or you will have that oil pick up problem!

Sold Honda bought Hondo

Reaction score
This deal has a 1 pc oil pan gasket on it now, I just don't see how I can get the timing cover pushed down enough to make the dowels line up with the timing cover, so I thought maybe I could cut the gasket out of the way and use RTV. I didn't want to loosen the pan bolts for fear of causing a leak along the sides

I don't run the rubber seal in my olds...Clean with brake clean and 'right stuff'
or if you have a connection at a GM dealership, GMS (general motors silicone)
Pretty much same product...oil/gas proof and sticks well even if the surface
is a little dirty. BBC front cover will pull down with miniature tong type vice grips

racerden

Boat #197
Reaction score
It's a MM deal however if you use the GM sealant P/N 88861417 you stand a better chance of prolonging an oil leak. FYI, everything must be Gobi Desert dry when you do this tricky task.

DV
Hope it helps