WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Rudder Help??

Big D

Reaction score
20' V-Drive Spectra "Mild Restore"

Going through the steering system on my Spectra... replacing the bearing in the steering pulleys, new flange bearing & seals in the stuffing box, etc.
Rudder blade is in rough shape. (See pics) It appears to have been repaired a time or two & has some pretty good pitting, erosion.
The rudder is a trailing style. On my previous cruiser (21' Schiada RC) I always ran a wedge style rudder.

Is this the correct rudder for my boat?

What are the advantages of the trailing vs. the wedge style rudder?

Anyone have a source for a good new/used rudder to replace this one?

Oh yea, it's a 1-1/8" shaft.

Thanks for the help!!

Attachments

• Photo Jan 12, 12 18 17 PM.jpg
    Photo Jan 12, 12 18 17 PM.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 88
  • Photo Jan 12, 12 18 22 PM.jpg
    Photo Jan 12, 12 18 22 PM.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 90
  • Photo Jan 12, 12 18 28 PM.jpg
    Photo Jan 12, 12 18 28 PM.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 80
  • Photo Jan 12, 12 18 33 PM.jpg
    Photo Jan 12, 12 18 33 PM.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 86
  • Photo Jan 12, 12 18 49 PM.jpg
    Photo Jan 12, 12 18 49 PM.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 98

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
That is an 'SK' style and I would use that with a 1 1/8" shaft. Call Barber Welding (around Long Beach area) and buy from the maker.

Dave Sammons

Reaction score
I've got this 1 1/8th used rudder if you are interested. It's in great shape. Came out of a boat I'm building for GN racing, would give you many years of service in the Spectra for a heck of a lot less money. 75.00
I'm usually not a proponent of used rudders and propshafts, but this one is solid.
Barber is an option...they may not have any built...Bergeron is a good choice as well.
Dave

rudwu.jpg

Big D

Reaction score
I've got this 1 1/8th used rudder if you are interested. It's in great shape. Came out of a boat I'm building for GN racing, would give you many years of service in the Spectra for a heck of a lot less money. 75.00
I'm usually not a proponent of used rudders and propshafts, but this one is solid.
Barber is an option...they may not have any built...Bergeron is a good choice as well.
Dave

rudwu.jpg

Hello Dave,

Thanks for the offer on the rudder!!

What is the length of the shaft? Per the pic., it appears to be 11-12"?

The one I have is around 14" but a good 2" of that sticks out the top side of the top bearing? If it's a bit too short I might have room to flip the bearing and mount it to the under side of the plate?

Dave Sammons

Reaction score
Hello Dave,

Thanks for the offer on the rudder!!

What is the length of the shaft? Per the pic., it appears to be 11-12"?

The one I have is around 14" but a good 2" of that sticks out the top side of the top bearing? If it's a bit too short I might have room to flip the bearing and mount it to the under side of the plate?

It's 9 7/8ths. Let me know!

Big D

Reaction score
It's 9 7/8ths. Let me know!

Thanks for the info.

I checked & confirmed that my current rudder shaft is 14" long. I'll need to crawl in the boat and see if I'll be able to accommodate the shorter shaft.

If I can make it work, I'll definitely purchase it from you!!

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
Hey guys, if this rudder won't work for Big D, I will take it as i need to fab my rudder support still any ways. I understand i am second in line :)

Thanks

racerden

Boat #197
Reaction score
20' V-Drive Spectra "Mild Restore"

Going through the steering system on my Spectra... replacing the bearing in the steering pulleys, new flange bearing & seals in the stuffing box, etc.
Rudder blade is in rough shape. (See pics) It appears to have been repaired a time or two & has some pretty good pitting, erosion.
The rudder is a trailing style. On my previous cruiser (21' Schiada RC) I always ran a wedge style rudder.

Is this the correct rudder for my boat?

What are the advantages of the trailing vs. the wedge style rudder?

Anyone have a source for a good new/used rudder to replace this one?

Oh yea, it's a 1-1/8" shaft.

Thanks for the help!!
While your'e at it consider installing one of DiMarco21's roller bearing rudder stuffing box's. Absoultely top shelf product that doesn't chew up the rudder shaft like conventional interference jobs. Super strong and very safe. Competition tested.
DV