WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Rudder Issue

Peartolomy

Reaction score
Put boat in water on Sunday. Idled past the no wake zone and then put the boat on plane. Hammered in one good time and when it came back down off of plane, there was no steering. The cables are intact and turning the wheel turns the bellcrank and the top of the shaft on the rudder, but the rudder doesn't move.

Does the rudder have set screws that secure it to the shaft? I would think if it was that loose that it would be on the bottom of the lake. Also, if the shaft broke or corroded in two, shouldn't the rudder have fallen out? Was stranded and adrift for about 3 hours. Didn't want to call the water patrol until the last resort. Boat is a little loud for their liking. Luckily, I got a super cool younger guy that liked the boat. Didn't hassle me at all.

BamBam

Reaction score
Put boat in water on Sunday. Idled past the no wake zone and then put the boat on plane. Hammered in one good time and when it came back down off of plane, there was no steering. The cables are intact and turning the wheel turns the bellcrank and the top of the shaft on the rudder, but the rudder doesn't move.

Does the rudder have set screws that secure it to the shaft? I would think if it was that loose that it would be on the bottom of the lake. Also, if the shaft broke or corroded in two, shouldn't the rudder have fallen out? Was stranded and adrift for about 3 hours. Didn't want to call the water patrol until the last resort. Boat is a little loud for their liking. Luckily, I got a super cool younger guy that liked the boat. Didn't hassle me at all.

Sounds like a broken rudder. There should always be a safety collar (split collar) to keep the rudder from falling out in a case like this.

Peartolomy

Reaction score
So, more than likely, the shaft broke in two? I might be able to get to it tonight and find out for sure.

If that's the case, any suggestions for a reasonable replacement?

BassLakeCruiser

Reaction score
Broke in 2? Never heard of that happening. Maybe there is a ‘detent’ at the quadrant for the clamping bolt and there was a major rust issue and it split there?...keeping the top half clamped to it? Bottom half stayed in the boat because you had a couple proper safety collars? Glad you didn’t get hurt. Post some pictures.

SoCalZero

Reaction score
Maybe a sheared woodruff key on rudder or steering wheel side?

Reaction score
If the top half of the rudder shaft is turning with the quadrant, but the rudder ISNT turning, the shaft is broken. It's odd to break the shaft in that place, but that doesnt mean it cant happen. The proper way to rig the rudder would be: push the rudder up through the stuffing box, collar, through the quad (if it's between the upper support and stuff box) a collar above the quad and then a collar above the upper support bearing. If the shaft broke, being such an odd break, I'd be looking at the stuffing box and upper support bearing alignment, and the upper support bearing condition. If the rudder is able to rattle around, it can work harden the rudder shaft and make it brittle, ultimately allowing the break.

instagator

Reaction score
Broke in 2? Never heard of that happening. Maybe there is a ‘detent’ at the quadrant for the clamping bolt and there was a major rust issue and it split there?...keeping the top half clamped to it? Bottom half stayed in the boat because you had a couple proper safety collars? Glad you didn’t get hurt. Post some pictures.
My old Stevens, put a big block with a brass rudder ....It sheered off flush with the bottom of the boat, About 40mph accelerating hard it broke, lucky !

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
For future reference, you can start the engine and drag your feet or a ski while sitting on the bow of the boat to steer it. You may have to start the engine and shut it off immediately if your gear and idle speed makes it too fast to do that easily at a constant idle. I've done it myself at Elsinore one time when I broke a rudder off at the opposite end of the lake from the ramp, and there was no other boats to try to get help from.

motormonkey

Reaction score

I thinkI have a used 1" rudder if you want it. Pick up in Simi Valley.

vdcruiser

Reaction score
Shouldn't be to hard to figure out what happened if its on the trailer. Turn the rudder blade by hand and see where its broken.

instagator

Reaction score
For future reference, you can start the engine and drag your feet or a ski while sitting on the bow of the boat to steer it. You may have to start the engine and shut it off immediately if your gear and idle speed makes it too fast to do that easily at a constant idle. I've done it myself at Elsinore one time when I broke a rudder off at the opposite end of the lake from the ramp, and there was no other boats to try to get help from.
You can do the same thing safer, drag a paddle rear side of the boat which direction you want to go.

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
You can do the same thing safer, drag a paddle rear side of the boat which direction you want to go.
Very difficult to sit next to a hot turbocharger to drag a paddle, that's why we did it from the front. Just had to keep the speed way down.

instagator

Reaction score
I did it on a Holiday flatbottom with thru the transom ,manifolds, the glenwoods were cold .

Vamodsquad

Reaction score
Well, just curious, what was the problem ? Did you get it fixed ?