WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Rules on having an aux fuel tank.

ChrisV

Reaction score
Trying to put a 75 gallon Aux tank in the back of my truckbed. Is there any rules to it? Don't want CHP popping me for something stupid.

Thanks.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
If the tank is there for for fueling equipment, and not plumbed to the truck's tank directly, it has to be mounted to the bed with 1/2" bolts I believe? Things get weird and specific for feeding the truck though. Something about a timer and a lit switch for DOT, but can't remember.

Mine was under toolbox, and probably illegal as hell. Never was hassled though.

Thunderhead1

Reaction score
If the tank is there for for fueling equipment, and not plumbed to the truck's tank directly, it has to be mounted to the bed with 1/2" bolts I believe? Things get weird and specific for feeding the truck though. Something about a timer and a lit switch for DOT, but can't remember.

Mine was under toolbox, and probably illegal as hell. Never was hassled though.

Yes, As the Wrench said , don't plumb it to feed into your main tank.... keep as an auxilary fuel station for your "equipment". then pump it directly into your tank if that is your goal.
OR..... if your goal is to have additional range, SB products makes direct replacements for your factory tank, that way you dont lose your bed.

Depends on what your end game is....

ChrisV

Reaction score
Yes, As the Wrench said , don't plumb it to feed into your main tank.... keep as an auxilary fuel station for your "equipment". then pump it directly into your tank if that is your goal.
OR..... if your goal is to have additional range, SB products makes direct replacements for your factory tank, that way you dont lose your bed.

Depends on what your end game is....
Ever since I put the boat in Havasu the wife hates the ride in the truck. Bounces a lot.

I hate pulling over for fuel so figured a aux tank in the back will solve both problems.

goshen82

Reaction score
I have a 110 gallon tank in my work truck and have never been hassled for it. Mines to transfer fuel into equipment and is not plumbed into the truck

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
The fleet trucks at the place I used to work all have bed tanks.
It’s the first think they get installed after delivery.

Those tanks are 75-90 gallons I think, all have electric pumps on them with at least 20’ hoses.
I don’t know the exact regs, but all those trucks were CA and AZ dot legal and all are MSHA legal for mine access.
They bolt them in with 3/8 coarse bolts through the bed floor and mounting tabs.
What is more important than mounting hardware as far as what the cops see, is what the cops actually see.
Meaning placarding and stickers.
Go to the trailer/ safety store and get all the stickers.

ChrisV

Reaction score
Look up "transfer flow".

Not cheap but the best out there.
Found some used one on craigslist. Kinda what started this search. Was planning to build one but don't really have time.

81Sprint

Reaction score
I had a 40 gallon aux tank plumbed to my filler neck with a shutoff and a check valve when I had my dually, it was covered up but never had an issue.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
I have a 60 gallon under my truck. 900 miles range now

Your ad here

Reaction score
Over a certain amount of gallons you need a special license and probably a 1994 placard. I think diesel is 1994. That's why a lot of tanks are like 95 gallon instead of 100.
Along with having the tank you will need to have the stabila smart level tucked between the rear seat and rear window, multiple sets of building plans, a weathered shovel and spectra grade laser that have never been used, CAT sticker or front license plate cover, and a 75 piece set of equipment keys.

buck35

Reaction score
Trying to put a 75 gallon Aux tank in the back of my truckbed. Is there any rules to it? Don't want CHP popping me for something stupid.

Thanks.
Gas,diesel , water, what do you intend to carry?

Roosky01

Reaction score
I had a 40 gallon aux tank plumbed to my filler neck with a shutoff and a check valve when I had my dually, it was covered up but never had an issue.
This is exactly the setup I had. Only issue was trying not run out of fuel since the dash gauge shows full for so long and you start not paying attention to it!

I always put on-road in the regular filler neck and off-road in the bed tank. Never had an issue and the only time anyone could see the tank in the bed was when I was filling it and had the front of the bed cover flipped open.

WTR&PWR

Reaction score
I used to have an auxiliary tank for a long time. I loved it. I did some research and as long as it’s diesel you can do 140gal or less and you are fine. Gasoline is a whole different story.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I think DOT regs for fuel tanks wasn't listed by volume of tank, but weight. For some reason 600# is what sticks in my head for needing placards in Cali? That may have also been for hazmat endorsement test though.. it's been awhile.

Sherpa

Reaction score
I have a KSH 100 gal tank in the bed and a 60 gallon tank in the frame of my dodge 3500. diesel. I'm going to tie the 2 together
and use a small solenoid valve to "open" the line from the 100 tank into the 60 gal tank to top it off when needed. the 100 tank
has it's own pump for filling equipment. I used to* use the aux tank pump to pump into the frame mount tank, but thats a hassle.
I also have a full hardtop bed cover now so the aux tank isn't even visible.

in 40 years of owning and driving a large pickup primarily in agriculture areas I've never been stopped, or had my tanks dipped.
I know it usually happens around harvest when there are alot of trucks on county roads......

--Sherpa

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
First rule is... Rules only exist if you're caught.

Second rule. If you're going to get caught make it appear like you're not breaking the rules.

Looking forward to see what you end up doing. Ive been tossing around doing a plus 30 gallon some how myself either through a aux tank or a bigger tank from like titan

ChrisV

Reaction score
First rule is... Rules only exist if you're caught.

Second rule. If you're going to get caught make it appear like you're not breaking the rules.

Looking forward to see what you end up doing. Ive been tossing around doing a plus 30 gallon some how myself either through a aux tank or a bigger tank from like titan
Agree. Friend told me stop being a bitch and just do it. 🤣

Lumpy

Reaction score
Been running a 60 Gal gravity feed for awhile...nice and low in the bed...looks like a tool box. Love it...roll into needles, cross over and top up on the res before rolling 450 miles home. Generally its empty but for those long trips they really are great.

ChrisV

Reaction score
Picked up a 50 gallon tank. Waiting for the gravity feed to come in the mail. (Yes my bed is abused and fooked up)

Gotta buy a cap and probably weld some kinda locking mechanism.

Yeahh budddy
3CF09956-0173-4BBB-A247-572022DA1E11.jpeg
0651FB10-07CD-4AB9-86C8-0117DD10B2BD.jpeg