WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Rules to Teach Your Son....most are a "lost art". Good stuff.

Halvecto

Reaction score
Handshake thread reminded me; Came across this yesterday on Twitter, from @ryanshanks

College kid offered a left-handed fist pump to me yesterday; I responded with a rt-hand handshake. He was awkward for a minute but it sent a non-verbal communication: I'm not your buddy or your homie, but it's good to see you.

RULES TO TEACH YOUR SON:

1. Never shake a man’s hand sitting down.

2. Don’t enter a pool by the stairs.

3. The man at the BBQ Grill is the closest thing to a king.

4. In a negotiation, never make the first offer.

5. Request the late check-out.

6. When entrusted with a secret, keep it.

7. Hold your heroes to a higher standard.

8. Return a borrowed car with a full tank of gas.

9. Play with passion or don’t play at all…

10. When shaking hands, grip firmly and look them in the eye.

11. Don’t let a wishbone grow where a backbone should be.

12. If you need music on the beach, you’re missing the point.

13. Carry two handkerchiefs. The one in your back pocket is for you. The one in your breast pocket is for her.

14. You marry the girl, you marry her family.

15. Be like a duck. Remain calm on the surface and paddle like crazy underneath.

16. Experience the serenity of traveling alone.

17. Never be afraid to ask out the best looking girl in the room.

18. Never turn down a breath mint.

19. A sport coat is worth 1000 words.

20. Try writing your own eulogy. Never stop revising.

21. Thank a veteran. Then make it up to him.

22. Eat lunch with the new kid.

23. After writing an angry email, read it carefully. Then delete it.

24. Ask your mom to play. She won’t let you win.

24a. Learn how to do all the household chores, you should know how to take care of yourself.

25. Manners maketh the man.

26. Give credit. Take the blame.

27. Stand up to Bullies. Protect those bullied.

28. Write down your dreams.

29. Always protect your siblings (and teammates).

30. Be confident and humble at the same time.

31. Speak the truth, even if it means you must speak it alone.

32. It’s ok to be afraid. That’s the only time a man can be brave.

33. It’s not about what you’ve done, it’s about what you’re doing. It’s not about where you’ve been, but where you’re going.

34. If ever in doubt, remember whose son you are and REFUSE to just be ordinary!

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Awesome!

I can attest first hand to #14.
They’re the closest thing to the Waltons I’ve ever seen.

ltbaney1

Reaction score
Agreed. id like to the post that in my office, but change the title to "rules for being a man" i have a couple of guys here im not sure how they make it through the day.

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
#7....I hold the moderators to a higher standard.

Reactions: DWC

KENDOG689

Banned
Reaction score
Not sure about the sportcoat or the handkerghief deals but the rest sounds solid.

Reactions: DWC

HBCraig

Reaction score
Had to tell my son recently at school about #27. I told him it doesnt matter how big the bully is or what he is saying. You cant let that happen. I specifically told him, "it actually means something to be a man"

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
mostly a great list!

#1 - I've handshaked on millions with both parties sitting down across from one another at a desk.
When you are haggling it out sitting down from one another - and you throw out an offer - and the client reaches across the desk with his hand out signifying you have a deal - and he's still sitting - you shake it.
What should not happen is one guy standing and one guy sitting.

#2 ??!? really? Id say don't be the only guy not swimming at a pool party. Not sure why it matters how you get in.

#4 Kind of hard not to make an offer if you are the seller. It's on the seller to set a starting point and either hold it or negotiate down.

Heres a few from Grandpa and Dad -

1. Never start a fight but always finish one.
2. Always buy an asset first to pay for liabilities - never confuse the meaning of the two.
3. Always show plenty of cuff when suited up. The better you look the more you'll make. (Im short fat and ugly and dressing well helps a lot)
4. If you can't say something nice about someone don't say anything at all.
5. Before you judge a man walk a mile in his shoes - you have no idea what he's had to go through.
6. Before you open your mouth ask yourself three things - Is it true, Is it helpful, is it kind.
7. Understand the difference between value and price - if you buy cheap you typically buy twice.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
#7....I hold the moderators to a higher standard.

I just figured it out. I know you live to be an attention whore. But over time I see that you're pretty much a dick when you respond to others' posts.

DLC

Reaction score
We don’t have kids but there are a few kids (young men) that I know that need to be schooled on every one of those items! They are good guys but didn’t have father figure to guide them in the right direction.

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
I just figured it out. I know you live to be an attention whore. But over time I see that you're pretty much a dick when you respond to others' posts.
Thanks?

Tank

Reaction score
Think I’ll print this and frame it on my boys wall. Of course I’ll have to take a couple out that I disagree with or don’t find useful and add a few that I tell my boys. But there is some great life long advise everyone could use on that list!

“give 100% effort, 100% of the time”

“Do it right the first time, or don’t do it at all”

How about measure twice, cut once. I always loved that one because it’s a metaphor for life.

Be a gentleman.

Never start a fight but know how to end it.

Live by the golden rule.

PS - and I’ll ad uncle Dave’s. His grandpa knew his shit obviously.

caldezrat

Reaction score
This thread reminds me of the movie "Second Hand Lions". Good advice about life.

Albert

Reaction score
Great lessons, my son is 18 always always helps without being told. Especially at the river always looks around for any distress . When people pull up to anchor hes grabbing the rope on the shoreline .

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Think about it.
If every kid born in this country had a Dad in his life willing to commit to teaching those rules, and then leading by example, how many of our problems would still be problems? Powerful stuff indeed.

River Lynchmob

What can I do to u for u?
Reaction score
Think about it.
If every kid born in this country had a Dad in his life willing to commit to teaching those rules, and then leading by example, how many of our problems would still be problems? Powerful stuff indeed.
I agree 100%! when you see a solid family with 2 engaged parents that do their JOB raising the next generation you will see respectful, well adjusted kids/young adults for the most part. Now if we could just figure out how to either teach this to people or discourage the ones that don't want to spend the time and effort to raise kids correctly then we would be on to something.

RVRKID

Reaction score
That's because I shortened it...its a mini swimming pool/large spa...cannonball away!!!

We call that a spool!
IMG_3240.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

milkmoney

Reaction score
Great thread. I dont have the luxury of teaching , cause I have no kids. Although I did chuckle the other day ....

I held the door open for a couple going into the restaurant, the lady said you were here before us , I said yes I was ( while chuckling ) , but my folks would kick my ass if I didn't hold the door for ya ...... they chuckled also

My point is , morals come before getting seated 5 min before someone else...[emoji202]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

rvrrun

Reaction score
Give them a copy of this book. It’s a good read for anyone.
DAC038E5-67E3-4C08-9448-0E09A05957E9.jpeg

We don’t have kids but there are a few kids (young men) that I know that need to be schooled on every one of those items! They are good guys but didn’t have father figure to guide them in the right direction.

DLow

Single Barrel Dweller
Reaction score
Great thread. I dont have the luxury of teaching , cause I have no kids. Although I did chuckle the other day ....

I held the door open for a couple going into the restaurant, the lady said you were here before us , I said yes I was ( while chuckling ) , but my folks would kick my ass if I didn't hold the door for ya ...... they chuckled also

My point is , morals come before getting seated 5 min before someone else...[emoji202]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Kid you not I did this tonight. Nice little old lady walked up with my family of five and I made sure she went in first and put her name in first. Her husband (that was parking the car) came by and thanked us at our table as they were on their way out after dinner. Can’t teach your kids by following. Show them how to lead, then give them the chance to lead themselves.

DLC

Reaction score
I always try to open a door for a lady ( ok some women are not a Lady, Different topic ) but I open the door when I’m headed into a building resturant for others.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
I remember reading the Friedman book, it was a fun read but somewhere in the first 20 pages is something like - " keep the number to a good therapist handy " (or something like that). That part kind of killed it for me as anything but a fun read vs any tome bearing actual father to son advice.

Not that I am anti-therapy, but my midwestern farming roots worked differently than city dwellers with different feeling and attitudes toward such things.

The men in my family solved their problems the old fashion way non-prescription non-therapy way - with alcohol, loose women and a support network of close friends doing manly things like fishing, hunting, camping, or "cowboying" on the farm. A hard days works makes for a good night sleep.

Paying someone to listen to your woes wasn't even something that was considered by these men.

UD

Taboma

Reaction score
How about resurrecting the apparently now extinct words "You are or You're Welcome" that has been replaced by "No Problem" as a response to "Thank You".

A few years ago my son married a wonderful lady with one pre-teen and an early teen daughter, plus one later teen son. All wonderfully polite and well mannered children.
So the other day I got my first opportunity to spend an entire day with their whole family touring a zoo. The bright son spent all day with headphones on, the two girls spent all day peering at their phones, with the occasional glance at an animal, snap a pic, then quickly back on the phone in order to post the pic and to continue conversing with their friends. :confused:
So an entire day with "Family" at the zoo resulted in maybe at best 4 minutes of actual conversational interaction with these youngsters, who are essentially our grandkids. :(
I've now concluded, I'm completely out of touch with modern youth and next time we plan a day at some venue, I'm just going to invite a couple of homeless people, should be far more conversationally interesting, LOL :p

Halvecto

Reaction score
I was reminded of this list again yesterday. Went through the thread. Worth a bump and reread of post #1 for the new year. Pass it on to some young men.

jesco

Reaction score
My old boss use to say there 3 things that a man has to keep clean in his life...
#1 his drivers lic... with a dirty lic you're not able to get to and from work, have a company vehicle, be a man and take a woman out to dinner..
#2 his credit... with dirty credit you cant have a nice car, apartment, house, nice things in general...
and # 3 and most importantly... his DICK!!!! that gets dirty and all bets are off !!!!
He use to tell this every time a guy at work lost his lic, had his truck repoed, or a guy got his girlfriend pregnant. Hahaha

Spudsbud

Reaction score
My kid is 26. This fell on deaf ears when I sent it to him........