WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Rumor Has it IATSE (Hollywood unions) may strike

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Here is what my uncle reposted a few minutes ago on FB. He works in the Grip Dept at Paramount -

#repost
Friends and family across the country- there is a very real possibility that Hollywood unions, the IATSE, will go on strike. This would halt almost all film and television production across the entire United States. This is a historic move, and frankly a necessary one.
Many of you are probably annoyed that you’ve cut the cable cord, only to now be paying basically the same amount for a multitude of streaming services.
We however are more than annoyed that these streaming services, which nearly everyone has, and which are owned by some of the richest corporations on the planet, are pretending that it’s still an unknown business model that they don’t know if they can make money from.
They want to pay us less to work on streaming shows than for shows that air on TV. They want to work us longer hours, and shorter weekends. They want to contribute less to our pension and health plans for streaming movies than they do for films that have a traditional theatrical release. They don’t even want to let us break for lunch during a 12+ hour work day…
On top of all that, AppleTV+ is asking for a discount on our rates because they have less subscribers than the others, even though Ted Lasso just won all the Emmys last night.
This situation has reached a breaking point. The studios have decided to no longer negotiate, and therefore, our leadership has decided to call for a strike authorization vote. It’s possible that this vote could lead to the producers offering us a fair contract to avoid a strike. Or it’s possible that we will have to strike for what we need.
I hope that you’ll stand with us in this fight.
In Solidarity…
#IASolidarity

450grip

Reaction score
It is very probable. The producers aren’t budging, and the IA crafts aren’t asking for anything unreasonable.

Reaction score
well now I'm glad I don't watch broadcast TV but if this screws netflix or amazon prime that would sux

Universal Elements

Reaction score

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
Here is what my uncle reposted a few minutes ago on FB. He works in the Grip Dept at Paramount -

#repost
Friends and family across the country- there is a very real possibility that Hollywood unions, the IATSE, will go on strike. This would halt almost all film and television production across the entire United States. This is a historic move, and frankly a necessary one.
Many of you are probably annoyed that you’ve cut the cable cord, only to now be paying basically the same amount for a multitude of streaming services.
We however are more than annoyed that these streaming services, which nearly everyone has, and which are owned by some of the richest corporations on the planet, are pretending that it’s still an unknown business model that they don’t know if they can make money from.
They want to pay us less to work on streaming shows than for shows that air on TV. They want to work us longer hours, and shorter weekends. They want to contribute less to our pension and health plans for streaming movies than they do for films that have a traditional theatrical release. They don’t even want to let us break for lunch during a 12+ hour work day…
On top of all that, AppleTV+ is asking for a discount on our rates because they have less subscribers than the others, even though Ted Lasso just won all the Emmys last night.
This situation has reached a breaking point. The studios have decided to no longer negotiate, and therefore, our leadership has decided to call for a strike authorization vote. It’s possible that this vote could lead to the producers offering us a fair contract to avoid a strike. Or it’s possible that we will have to strike for what we need.
In Solidarity…
#IASolidarity

FB 🤣

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score

#repost
In Solidarity…
#IASolidarity

If what I’m hearing is correct it looks like an Oct 1st vote. My personal opinion is this strike should of happened in the last negotiations
Also another confusion among people is they think the behind the scenes workers make a shit ton of money like the studios, producers and even actors ( which some have shown their support for the below line workers)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wedgy

Reaction score
Interesting to see if the LA Trades back this play? Or not...🤔👀

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Also, don't care and I'm happy with sticking to the History and Discovery channel.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
The “management “ and ownership in this situation are a bunch of billionaire tech monopoly Tards.

So if the unions wanna fight them I am all for it….

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
My DVR recoreds umpti thousand hours , guess I'll learn how to program it PDQ... some of the best movies and series we have watched are made in Canada and even Europe latley

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
My only concern for all this is that I have a LOT of friends that are in those unions. A prolonged strike would devastate a lot of them. My cousin is supposed to come out here to Tucson to start filming something. If they approve this strike, I doubt that is going to happen.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I was hoping to read they were striking against vax mandates…

I hope they get paid.
Studios are always looking for ways to screw production people over.

But I don’t watch much tv or film so doesn’t affect me much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mbrown2

Reaction score
I am sure there are inmates here that are part of their unions...would like to hear their take. I get it that NO ONE on RDP would subject themselves to TV even though somehow we have netflix and what's streaming threads on here from time to time. I saw that one of the studios recently tried to screw one of the actresses by releasing to streaming at the same time as theaters so her box office cut would be less....and they would not renegotiate for a streaming gap prior to that decision (in her contract it said theatre release first). I think the studios are trying to get over on folks as streaming goes through the roof, subscribers increases and traditional vehicles, theatrical and normal tv suffer....I feel the studios still have an influx of cashflow at or above prior levels and they want to take away those revenue streams away from the talent/workers... I am normally not for unions but I am also tired of seeing billionaires, board members and majority stock holders get rich on the backs of workers just cause technology changed but their work to deliver entertainment streaming or traditional did not change......

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
Fucking great
We survived covid with 8 months of no income
Now this
We have a lot of shows that are union this could be devastating
Looks like I picked the wrong time to go big and buy an expensive boat

or on the other hand maybe I’ll have more time to use it

look at me being glass is half full

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I'm not saying this to anyone directly, but what did you fuckin expect? Hollywood elites and studios have ran around thinking they ran the place for what a century? Patting itself on the back the entire way with no real leadership or direction, or competition.

Now you have some of the biggest companies on earth into creating content. They don't have unions, they don't want unions, they will outsource and replace everything they can. What makes you think their business model for content creation will be any different? Everyone is gonna bend a knee or get kneecapped because traditional content delivery is dying. The streaming services are outspending the networks and winning all the awards and creating the best content right now.

How stupid is it that NBC hosts an awards show and gives all the awards to all of its content delivery competitors :)

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Fucking great
Now this

Yes, and your glass is half full of Vodka!! LOL

traquer

Reaction score
I'm not saying this to anyone directly, but what did you fuckin expect? Hollywood elites and studios have ran around thinking they ran the place for what a century? Patting itself on the back the entire way with no real leadership or direction, or competition.

Now you have some of the biggest companies on earth into creating content. They don't have unions, they don't want unions, they will outsource and replace everything they can. What makes you think their business model for content creation will be any different? Everyone is gonna bend a knee or get kneecapped because traditional content delivery is dying. The streaming services are outspending the networks and winning all the awards and creating the best content right now.

How stupid is it that NBC hosts an awards show and gives all the awards to all of its content delivery competitors :)

100% True. No wonder you're a moderator on here, you see through bullshit well XD

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
Fucking great
Now this

Was wondering your take on this. I know you and your crew have been through a lot. But at the end of the day, you have to get paid. I’m Willing to bote bitch for gas money!!

dezrtracer

Reaction score
I hope we authorize a strike . That doesn't mean we go on strike right away it just tells the producers that were not happy with their proposal and hope they come back to the negotiations .

A little something that most of you don't know is :

We gave streaming ( producer's call it New Media ) a break on hourly rates , they don't pay into our retirement , no vacation pay or holiday pay till they figured out if it would be profitable and we think it is . We just want them to pay like network TV since it's not New Media anymore , they are raking in the money .

We also want longer turn arounds . Right now we work 12 plus hours a day and only get 10 hours off . Not much time to sleep after drive to and from work , have dinner , shower , spend a few minutes with family etc . Most never get more than 5-6 hous of good sleep a night and work 70 to 90 hours a week with start times different every day .

We would also like to get the cost of living raise once a year . The Producer's only want to give us 2.5% . Hardly the cost of living each year .

The producers also want us to work with French Hours , for those of you who don't know that is no break for lunch , you must eat while you work . That doesn't work to well on long work days with no real time away from the set .

That is a few things we are asking for which doesn't seem like to much to ask for ...

Have a good night . I'm off to get my 5 hours of sleep before I go work another 14 hour day tomorrow .

Local 80 Grip

Last edited:

Roosky01

Reaction score
The days of the billion dollar box office hits are long gone and so is the union help. I guess the term adapt or die is somewhat fitting here?

Curious to see how your union leadership tells you all how you should vote?

nowski

Reaction score
My only concern for all this is that I have a LOT of friends that are in those unions. A prolonged strike would devastate a lot of them. My cousin is supposed to come out here to Tucson to start filming something. If they approve this strike, I doubt that is going to happen.

If all those people were to lose their jobs (like those that worked the Keystone Pipeline) they would simply need to reinvent themselves and work lower paying green jobs. The green wave is just getting started...

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I hope we authorize a strike . That doesn't mean we go on strike right away it just tells the producers that were not happy with their proposal and hope they come back to the negotiations .

We gave streaming ( producer's call it New Media ) a break on hourly rates , they don't pay into our retirement , no vacation pay or holiday pay till they figured out if it would be profitable and we think it is . We just want them to pay like network TV since it's not New Media anymore , they are raking in the money .

We also want longer turn arounds . Right now we work 12 plus hours a day and only get 10 hours off . Not much time to sleep after drive to and from work , have dinner , shower , spend a few minutes with family etc . Most never get more than 5-6 hous of good sleep a night and work 70 to 90 hours a week with start times different every day .

We would also like to get the cost of living raise once a year . The Producer's only want to give us 2.5% . Hardly the cost of living each year .

The producers also want us to work with French Hours , for those of you who don't know that is no break for lunch , you must eat while you work . That doesn't work to well on long work days with no real time away from the set .

That is a few things we are asking for which doesn't seem like to much to ask for ...

Have a good night . I'm off to get my 5 hours of sleep before I go work another 14 hour day tomorrow .

Local 80 Grip

I hope it works out, and you folks make a big enough scene to get what you are asking for.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
It sounds as if the union F'd up from the get go by giving the "new media" a break. Even a blind man saw what was going to happen. Maybe it was voted on when it was a rough time, or things were slow.

Did the union back the covid shut down, but get a variance as "necessary workers"?
Things are going to get bad for a lot of groups. A strike may help in the long term, but hurt in the short term. This is only worthwhile to do if there is a "long term". If not, it's better to stack the money you can make while able to do it. Then again. I was never union. 12 hour days with no OT, and 2hr commutes weren't out of the norm. There's also other reasons I don't do it anymore...

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
It sounds as if the union F'd up from the get go by giving the "new media" a break. Even a blind man saw what was going to happen. Maybe it was voted on when it was a rough time, or things were slow.

Did the union back the covid shut down, but get a variance as "necessary workers"?
Things are going to get bad for a lot of groups. A strike may help in the long term, but hurt in the short term. This is only worthwhile to do if there is a "long term". If not, it's better to stack the money you can make while able to do it. Then again. I was never union. 12 hour days with no OT, and 2hr commutes weren't out of the norm. There's also other reasons I don't do it anymore...

"New Media" as they still call it has been around since about 2000. IMHO we fucked up a long time ago by giving in and not at least voting for a strike authorization. Doesn't mean you have to strike, just means if you don't come back and bargain in good faith we can walk.
I've put in my 100+ plus hour work weeks for years when i was younger and was compensated very well. (not so much now as the workers are being abused with no breaks and being told to eliminate hours from their timecards. etc.) Again, IMHO we as a union fucked up by letting them walk on us and kept giving up things in our contract negotiations.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
"New Media" as they still call it has been around since about 2000. IMHO we fucked up a long time ago by giving in and not at least voting for a strike authorization. Doesn't mean you have to strike, just means if you don't come back and bargain in good faith we can walk.
I've put in my 100+ plus hour work weeks for years when i was younger and was compensated very well. (not so much now as the workers are being abused with no breaks and being told to eliminate hours from their timecards. etc.) Again, IMHO we as a union fucked up by letting them walk on us and kept giving up things in our contract negotiations.

What was the rationale for giving them what they wanted in the first place? Thinking they’d never be a real threat?

10-12 years ago it probably seemed like they’d never be able to compete.

Reactions: DWC

evantwheeler

Reaction score
...they would simply need to reinvent themselves and work lower paying green jobs. The green wave is just getting started...

Can’t tell if youre serious or if this is satire. Can you explain this green wave you speak of. Maybe start a new thread as to not derail this one.

My neighbor was a grip for 40 years and the hours you all work are crazy.

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
I've been doing this a long time. So it seems it has varied over negotiation periods. Sometimes fear is a big - being out of work .
Sometimes maybe the economy just wasn't right in general ( but looking back on this TV and film companies always seem make huge profits
even in the worst of times).
I know one time (early 90's)I voted no just because I had a newborn and just bought a new townhome and was afraid to lose everything I vested in it.

So lots of reasons which are different for every person. But it does seem most are onboard and ready for fight this time around.

Last edited:

LazyLavey

Reaction score

Local 80 Grip

What a bizarre way to factor pay!!

Is your job action is any different whether it's "New Media" or other production ??

Why don't they pay equal (including bennies) for the job done????...

If the shows not profitable that's the risk you take as the producers, not the folks working on it

Ladsm

Reaction score
DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Last time they did that we got some great reality TV shows!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Last time they did that we got some great reality TV shows!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Are those the ones who repeat the last 45 seconds before a commercial when they come back from the commercial break? :cool: 😁:rolleyes:
Talk about frigging annoying. LOL

dezrtracer

Reaction score
What a bizarre way to factor pay!!

Is your job action is any different whether it's "New Media" or other production ??

Why don't they pay equal (including bennies) for the job done????...

If the shows not profitable that's the risk you take as the producers, not the folks working on it

Job is still the same . Years ago alot of work was going out of state . The unions negotiated a different pay rate to slow down runaway production and keep more work here . I totally agree that producers roll the dice on whether the show does good or not and not the workers . And on a side note I have never voted yes on a contract ever in my 35 years that gave anything back to my employers but , the masses usually vote yes . This time I hope we get something back we gave away contact after contract and believe me we gave away alot more over the years than we are asking for .

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
So these tech companies are owned by billionaires. Far richer than the old Hollywood elites.

Big mistake giving them fuckers an inch.

Streaming was always going to end broadcast. It was always the future. Now here we are..

I hope you guys stick it to them