WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Rumor Has it IATSE (Hollywood unions) may strike

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
So these tech companies are owned by billionaires. Far richer than the old Hollywood elites.

Big mistake giving them fuckers an inch.

Streaming was always going to end broadcast. It was always the future. Now here we are..

I hope you guys stick it to them

Well you also have the likes of Disney that is playing both sides probably just watching with popcorn letting Apple, Netflix and Amazon do the dirty work for them :)

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
In a nutshell they do all the behind the scenes work, setup of sets, things like that.

Think it originally was the guys who move the camera dolly’s around?
I know some here are in the business, but I’ve only ever seen actual production a couple times.
It’s crazy how many people it takes for even the most basic shots.

Wedgy

Reaction score
I hope we authorize a strike . That doesn't mean we go on strike right away it just tells the producers that were not happy with their proposal and hope they come back to the negotiations .

A little something that most of you don't know is :

We gave streaming ( producer's call it New Media ) a break on hourly rates , they don't pay into our retirement , no vacation pay or holiday pay till they figured out if it would be profitable and we think it is . We just want them to pay like network TV since it's not New Media anymore , they are raking in the money .

We also want longer turn arounds . Right now we work 12 plus hours a day and only get 10 hours off . Not much time to sleep after drive to and from work , have dinner , shower , spend a few minutes with family etc . Most never get more than 5-6 hous of good sleep a night and work 70 to 90 hours a week with start times different every day .

We would also like to get the cost of living raise once a year . The Producer's only want to give us 2.5% . Hardly the cost of living each year .

The producers also want us to work with French Hours , for those of you who don't know that is no break for lunch , you must eat while you work . That doesn't work to well on long work days with no real time away from the set .

That is a few things we are asking for which doesn't seem like to much to ask for ...

Have a good night . I'm off to get my 5 hours of sleep before I go work another 14 hour day tomorrow .

Local 80 Grip

The working conditions you describe, are not good working practice, would not be acceptable on a Union, or any other construction site.
I believe the working conditions may well be in violation of both State and Federal Labor law. Let alone a Union negotiated working condition. That, along with all of the other Union info posted along from your Rank and File indicates a Failure of Leadership and due regard in consideration of the good of the Local 80 Body, as a Whole.
I get concessions, but basic health standards do need to apply at work. Do Union Officials work? Like that? Some severe house cleaning is in order. Up to you.

Question? You do get paid for all these hours, right?
"12 hours a day, 70 to 90 hours per week." Time and 1/2 after 8 hours, right?
Can't remember what the double time threshold is, but thinking ya'll cross that.

FYI, For the crack Local 80 Negotiating Team: 40 hours a week is full time.

Yeah, I feel like we're gonna strike. Man, I'm stacked with work and the town is crazy busy right now. But it's the right thing to do.

That's precisely the time to walk. The busier the better. That shit hurts the bottom line. Contractors cave, we make them the money. It's Business, not personal. Your industry sounds way more cuthroat. That whole second tier citizen behind the scenes bullshit has got to go. Every person on that set puts their pants on one leg at a time.
Watch your 6. Don't take any shit. Hope ya'll saved up for the Rainy Day. Godspeed Local 80 (Rank and File)

Last edited:

Taboma

Reaction score
Will this stop all the commercials with black people telling me what a racist I am?!
I've stopped watching half of our favorite shows due to some fucking "Po colored person" agenda they're pushing. The other half I do watch is because my wife enjoys them, so I just sit there making racist remarks when I feel they're trying to inject me with "White" guilt.
We dumped most of the Lesbo and Gay agenda ones already, but I couldn't help but notice in a TV guide my wife bought, that the Lesbo Goth Batgirl got replaced by a black chick and now will be (Or was ??) joined with her black hubby Batman, Black Batman :oops: --- That's blasphemy 🤬

Our TV entertainment mostly consists now of recording & watching movies from the 70's, 80's and 90's --- you know, the ones where everybody smokes, everywhere :oops:

I swear, back when I used to smoke, I don't recall ever noticing so many characters smoking in movies. 🤷‍♂️

LazyLavey

Reaction score
Hey you GM workers at facility XYZ.... we're gonna built a new corvette.. We're gonna cut some of your benefits and pay you $1234 cuz we don't know if the new model will be successful . Other GM workers benefits at different facilities won't be affected

If its a hit we'll renegotiate.... . Straight up GREED...

Taboma

Reaction score
I've only known two people during my life that worked in that industry. One was an old electrician who somehow got in and I think he only did it because he was so enamored with being there when they were filming kinda thing.
The other has recently worked his way up in the teamsters starting driving tour buses at Universal and now drives trucks for the studios.

Does everybody working on movie or tv sets work for the producing company, or studio, or are these jobs sub-contracted out ? Do any of these union workers remain with various production companies or studios or shows --- or is this a rotating union hall kinda gig(s) ?

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I've stopped watching half of our favorite shows due to some fucking "Po colored person" agenda they're pushing. The other half I do watch is because my wife enjoys them, so I just sit there making racist remarks when I feel they're trying to inject me with "White" guilt.
We dumped most of the Lesbo and Gay agenda ones already, but I couldn't help but notice in a TV guide my wife bought, that the Lesbo Goth Batgirl got replaced by a black chick and now will be (Or was ??) joined with her black hubby Batman, Black Batman :oops: --- That's blasphemy 🤬

Our TV entertainment mostly consists now of recording & watching movies from the 70's, 80's and 90's --- you know, the ones where everybody smokes, everywhere :oops:

I swear, back when I used to smoke, I don't recall ever noticing so many characters smoking in movies. 🤷‍♂️

Comedy Central is easily the worst. Ive completely boycotted them, not as a statement, but because I just can’t take it anymore.
Black this, black that, more black producers, reflect the community, it’s never fucking ending.

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
It’s all different
I have worked on wheel of fortune for 26 years
But it’s 4 to 6 days a month
I can end up working on 5 different shows in a week
Some people when they work on movies will be booked for months and months
Some directors want same people every movie so just go from one to the next

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
I have a relative (producer) that buys his wardrobe on both sides of Hollywood and Vine , just before the election He refered to me as a "mouthbreathing trumpster" and more... I wonder which unemployment line the two of Him/her will be standing in ;)

white tortilla

Reaction score
I suppose if “new media” doesn’t want to pay all the union wages, and union doesn’t want to work for wages they are getting now, why not do away with the unions and let it go towards non union work and shops and see if the new media can staff the work with people who will work for what they want to pay

kind of like a typical supply/demand scenario

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
I hope we authorize a strike . That doesn't mean we go on strike right away it just tells the producers that were not happy with their proposal and hope they come back to the negotiations .

A little something that most of you don't know is :

We gave streaming ( producer's call it New Media ) a break on hourly rates , they don't pay into our retirement , no vacation pay or holiday pay till they figured out if it would be profitable and we think it is . We just want them to pay like network TV since it's not New Media anymore , they are raking in the money .

We also want longer turn arounds . Right now we work 12 plus hours a day and only get 10 hours off . Not much time to sleep after drive to and from work , have dinner , shower , spend a few minutes with family etc . Most never get more than 5-6 hous of good sleep a night and work 70 to 90 hours a week with start times different every day .

We would also like to get the cost of living raise once a year . The Producer's only want to give us 2.5% . Hardly the cost of living each year .

The producers also want us to work with French Hours , for those of you who don't know that is no break for lunch , you must eat while you work . That doesn't work to well on long work days with no real time away from the set .

That is a few things we are asking for which doesn't seem like to much to ask for ...

Have a good night . I'm off to get my 5 hours of sleep before I go work another 14 hour day tomorrow .

Local 80 Grip

Best of luck to you guys Lynn. I have said it before I can’t imagine the work schedule that you guys keep.

dezrtracer

Reaction score
Best of luck to you guys Lynn. I have said it before I can’t imagine the work schedule that you guys keep.

Thanks bud . I'll be fine since I know to save for contract time . If we don't get what we are asking for I will still turn down the low rate jobs and work mostly big movies since they pay full rate , benefits and all .... I just feel sorry for the people having no choice but to accept low paying work .

Hope to see ya soon.

nowski

Reaction score
Today's Ryder Cup is brought to by???

Currently US is up 5 to 0

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
I never expect people to understand what it's like to have a job in Television and Film. I struggle myself with being in a union, It has never been my thing. I don't even watch TV other than Motocross and the Dodgers. I look at this situation as something to keep these big companies in check. And, it's not all about money, some folks that work in single camera episodics just want a decent turnaround time after getting off of work to rest and be with family,they just want 8 or 10 hours off of work on days and weekends. It's really not a lot to ask. We will vote to strike on Oct 1st and we will most likely authorize a strike. I believe it will happen since producers won't budge.

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
In a nutshell they do all the behind the scenes work, setup of sets, things like that.

Grips don't set up sets at all, Construction does all that. Grips have many functions but most of all Grips are actually a big part of the lighting process. Electricians hang lights in the appropriate areas of a set, then grips come in behind and trim and shape the lights appropriately using all sorts of materials and techniques. Grips hang backings for lighting, add fourth walls to a set. A Dolly grip will operate a camera dolly and in my opinion a more important job than a camera operator. A best boy grip is in charge of all the grip equipment used on set. A key grip is the top of the heap that works closely with the Director of Photography to clean up the lighting of the set and call the shots with his grips. It's a pretty interesting process.

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
Grips don't set up sets at all, Construction does all that. Grips have many functions but most of all Grips are actually a big part of the lighting process. Electricians hang lights in the appropriate areas of a set, then grips come in behind and trim and shape the lights appropriately using all sorts of materials and techniques. Grips hang backings for lighting, add fourth walls to a set. A Dolly grip will operate a camera dolly and in my opinion a more important job than a camera operator. A best boy grip is in charge of all the grip equipment used on set. A key grip is the top of the heap that works closely with the Director of Photography to clean up the lighting of the set and call the shots with his grips. It's a pretty interesting process.
Yeah without grips nothing gets done
And pretty interesting when someone pisses off the key grip
They only do that once

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

Thanks. I knew i oversimplified it there.

Taboma

Reaction score

Thanks for the insight, I watch the tube but really don't have a clue how it all works on the set and who does what.
I will ask this if you don't mind.
In your other post you mention long hours and few days off. I'm assuming this is for the most part due to the logistics of set time, or location time, or demanding production schedules.
I'm sure there's a multitude of variables depending on what's being shot.

I'm trying to understand what it is the Union is offering in the way of solutions other than asking for more money and benefits. Are they suggesting the studios or production companies hire enough grips (as just an example) to run multiple shifts ? If so, I'd think the Grips will make less money working fewer hours.
Is this type of work seasonal or year around ? I thought most TV series shows were shot seasonally, with perhaps long periods of time off in between.
Certainly movies don't shoot all year, unless you're working for one company who keeps you steadily employed.

I guess my point is, the nature of the job usually dictates the demands, rather it be construction, sales, investing, LEO, Firemen, military, etc.
You've got member poncho up in the Bering Sea fishing, certainly an incredibly demanding business and challenging lifestyle, but he knew that when he took the job.

I'm not sure if you're asking for the conditions and nature of the job be changed, or these workers who took the jobs knowing or at least they should have, what would be expected of them and they feel they deserve higher compensation for their sacrifices ? Or both ?

I do know that ultimately, the viewer will be bearing the burden of whatever the outcome, that's simply how it works. I suppose having a better understanding of what we're going to be paying for might ease the sting. 😁

Last edited:

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
It just seems crazy to me that this gets coverage. While I feel for the workers directly effected, it is still the entertainment industry and not a critical part of life.

The Healthcare industry right now is down approximately 30% on the employee pool. People are leaving left and right, it has gotten to the point that I have personally sat with a patient on my ambulance gurney waiting to get a patient into an ER bed for over 9 hours because the hospitals did not have the staffing. Now I realize I sound like a dick and it may seem I'm trying to discredit this strike, but that really is not my intention. I'm just surprised that this would get coverage and yet walkouts/strikes that legitimately are a life and death situation go without so much as a blip on the radar.

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
Thanks for the insight, I watch the tube but really don't have a clue how it all works on the set and who does what.
I will ask this if you don't mind.
In your other post you mention long hours and few days off. I'm assuming this is for the most part due to the logistics of set time, or location time, or demanding production schedules.
I'm sure there's a multitude of variables depending on what's being shot.

I'm trying to understand what it is the Union is offering in the way of solutions other than asking for more money and benefits. Are they suggesting the studios or production companies hire enough grips (as just an example) to run multiple shifts ? If so, I'd think the Grips will make less money working fewer hours.
Is this type of work seasonal or year around ? I thought most TV series shows were shot seasonally, with perhaps long periods of time off in between.
Certainly movies don't shoot all year, unless you're working for one company who keeps you steadily employed.

I guess my point is, the nature of the job usually dictates the demands, rather it be construction, sales, investing, LEO, Firemen, military, etc.
You've got member poncho up in the Bering Sea fishing, certainly an incredibly demanding business and challenging lifestyle, but he knew that when he took the job.

I'm not sure if you're asking for the conditions and nature of the job be changed, or these workers who took the jobs knowing or at least they should have, what would be expected of them and they feel they deserve higher compensation for their sacrifices ? Or both ?

I do know that ultimately, the viewer will be bearing the burden of whatever the outcome, that's simply how it works. I suppose having a better understanding of what we're going to be paying for might ease the sting. 😁

The whole long hours and few days off situation doesn't really effect me too much, but it does effect the folks that work in single camera episodics which is so popular now. They just want a longer turnaround time between work days. Maybe this effects commercials and features, I'm not sure.

Streaming services and producers were given special deals to them with labor since they were considered "New Media" years ago. Well, Streaming has taken over and the Union wants them to now to pay their fair share. It's not just about rates but also our health plan and pensions. Producers keep raising the amount of hours to qualify for health insurance, and some workers are dropping off and not qualifying. But they continue to raise them.

Yes, we knew what were in for when we took the job. It's frustrating to see big Hollywood make so much money but at the same time they continue to take so much from the people who work for them.

I'm in the camera union 600, they do very little. They are nothing like the teamsters union. My union does zero to protect us, they let productions run all over us with "Side letters" they give to producers from previous negotiations.

I work on lots of non union gigs too, I will charge them 20% more for not being union. If they don't agree to it I won't work the job.

In no way would I ever consider what I do as important or hard as a LEO, Fireman or military. It's just TV and it affords me a flexible schedule which I love.

grumpy88

Reaction score
Sounds like actors need to be reigned in . I am sure they are not working the long days . As stated by others none of them are curing cancer so there is no reason not to follow standard working hours . If 7 days a week 12 hours a day dont get it done its time for a second shift . I would love to have some of the medical thats provided in the industry too . A garunteed rate of inflation raise sounds amazing too ! Good luck with the strike 🥃

farmo83

Reaction score
In reading this it sounds like "if you give a mouse a cookie" type deal. I worked at a movie theater when I was in high school and college and haven't seen a crowd that I would have considered average back in the day for at least 5 years. I live in texas which is about as anti union as you can get and one or twice a year management would come around and tell us not to join the projectionist union. I would assume folks are trying to combat less revenue with lower cost.

Good luck to Lynn and all other inmates involved.

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
Yeah, I feel like we're gonna strike. Man, I'm stacked with work and the town is crazy busy right now. But it's the right thing to do.
Doesn't mean we will strike but just got an email
90% of the people who could vote ...did
and
98% of those voted yes to strike.

Negotiations resume tomorrow. Time will tell🤞

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
99.2% voted yes in my camera union 600.. And, I think that no shows are a No vote. This is a big turnout, I knew it would be. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
99.2% voted yes in my camera union 600.. And, I think that no shows are a No vote. This is a big turnout, I knew it would be. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.
Nice. I don’t t have specifics for 700 yet. But I bet we are right there with 600

dezrtracer

Reaction score
Hell ya !! I just hope the IA doesn't cave on anything . We are in a great position to make up some ground lost over the years .

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
Hell ya !! I just hope the IA doesn't cave in . We are in a great position to make up some ground .
Yep. The ground we’ve been giving away since mid 90’s.
I know we all have our reasons for a yes or no vote but this makes it pretty obvious we’ve had enough and a line has been drawn. Again. I don’t want to strike I’d rather work but it’s just that time.

Taboma

Reaction score
So for us pawn viewers who enjoy a bit of the tube on our large investment TVs --- does this essentially mean another year watching 1980's- 90's movies ?
Now that a few network series have just started or are starting, will this kill them, or does this mean we lose programming in the spring or next year ?
Don't really care about new movies, they're kinda crap and written for gays and minorities pushing agendas.
Actually the series programming is too, so I guess it's reruns of the Munsters and Leave it to Beaver.

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score
Will it affect sports broadcasts? That’s all I watch.

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
So for us pawn viewers who enjoy a bit of the tube on our large investment TVs --- does this essentially mean another year watching 1980's- 90's movies ?
Now that a few network series have just started or are starting, will this kill them, or does this mean we lose programming in the spring or next year ?
Don't really care about new movies, they're kinda crap and written for gays and minorities pushing agendas.
Actually the series programming is too, so I guess it's reruns of the Munsters and Leave it to Beaver.
Since I’m in the post end and not the production end. Take this with a grain of salt.

I would think that weekly shows are about half way through filming or close( 6-7 episodes out of 13). I think shows are about on there 3rd-4th episode televised . I don’t watch em either. So if we strike in two weeks You will not be getting the second half of the season. I could be way off That is why imho if we are to strike we cannot drag it out let them get more shows in the can ready go. If they don’t want to bargain in good faith. We walk now

And that doesn’t even bring up theatrical features In post or filming.

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
I'm gonna say No, it won't. Sports people are in other unions like the IBEW and NABIT.
I wasn’t sure on that either. Have they said or have you heard they will honor our strike?

Taboma

Reaction score
This is spot on..

After watching some of that I'm left to wonder --- is it a different union(s) that staffs these News Shows ? Will they remain on the air during these possible strikes ?

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
After watching some of that I'm left to wonder --- is it a different union(s) that staffs these News Shows ? Will they remain on the air during these possible strikes ?

I think that most of the news outlets are not apart of the IATSE. They kind of fall into the same category as Sports which have different unions. Different deal.. An IATSE strike will effect TV shows like sitcoms, episodics, features and commercials mostly seen on ABC, NBC, CBS, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Apple TV etc..

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Is this type of work seasonal or year around ? I thought most TV series shows were shot seasonally, with perhaps long periods of time off in betwee

TV film industry lifer here...

Back in the 80's the work was seasonal with a summer hiatus (literally summer vacation) , but with the advent of cable and private studios came year round production.
I had two glorious years of hiatus in my 30+ year career.

The deal here is the Unions agreed that non traditional transmission (internet) would have its work categorized differently and be subject to lower rates.
Full rates were based around TV and film with television being defined as call letter station (ABC,NBC,CBS, FOX) work.

Early on the internet couldn't carry any bandwidth and wasnt a measurable delivery format and video on it looked like crap - so you couldn't charge for any commercial you run on it, and as such couldn't carry the full cost of normal productions, so NO one paid for high end multicam shoots with full post back ends. The work was less.

Thats all changed with the internet being just as viable a delivery mechanism as cable or over the air and the " new media" isnt new anymore and in fact more lucrative than ever, and its just as time consuming and hard to produce as anything worth watching - the work is exactly the same as a full on broadcast or film production BUT you get paid less.

The internet effectively breaks the monopoly and subsequent restriction of airwave ownership and licensing allowing everyone to be content provider.

Now content delivery method is inconsequential.

Everything is a " series" just like a full season would be back in the day but without the time slot restrictions.

Add to it you get all the content creators charging a monthly app fee which didnt exist before and just as many ads or more, and making just as much of it not more money.

As much as a strike is not good for my business, these guys are getting screwed.

Last edited:

Taboma

Reaction score
TV film industry lifer here...

Back in the 80's the work was seasonal with a summer hiatus (literally summer vacation) , but with the advent of cable and private studios came year round production.
I had two glorious years of hiatus in my 30+ year career.

The deal here is the Unions agreed that non traditional transmission (internet) would have its work categorized differently and be subject to lower rates.
Full rates were based around TV and film with television being defined as call letter station (ABC,NBC,CBS, FOX) work.

Early on the internet couldn't carry any bandwidth and wasnt a measurable delivery format and video on it looked like crap - so you couldn't charge for any commercial you run on it, and as such couldn't carry the full cost of normal productions, so NO one paid for high end multicam shoots with full post back ends. The work was less.

Thats all changed with the internet being just as viable a delivery mechanism as cable or over the air and the " new media" isnt new anymore and in fact more lucrative than ever, and its just as time consuming and hard to produce as anything worth watching - the work is exactly the same as a full on broadcast or film production BUT you get paid less.

The internet effectively breaks the monopoly and subsequent restriction of airwave ownership and licensing allowing everyone to be content provider.

Now content delivery method is inconsequential.

Everything is a " series" just like a full season would be back in the day but without the time slot restrictions.

Add to it you get all the content creators charging a monthly app fee which didnt exist before and just as many ads or more, and making just as much of it not more money.

As much as a strike is not good for my business, these guys are getting screwed.

On one hand I agree, and certainly see the point. Certainly appreciate the industry insight as provided by yourself, Dan and others on RDP. 👍

On the other, I see the entire industry in flux as viewing habits and preferences are shifting dramatically for all age and demographic groups.

I'm pretty old and I fully realize nobody is directing their marketing at my age group.
I grew up on network TV, then came the huge dish covering much of my backyard where picking up Sat tv was like operating a Ham Radio. Due to the mountain behind me, my other choice was rotating the antenna on the 25' mast till the snow disappeared. Then the dish got much smaller, but the costs were so much higher and all free viewing disappeared.

My son finally recently convinced me to get a Cube for a couple of streaming services my 20 MPS rural download speed can barely handle. At least we were able to finish a couple of series they friggin packed up and moved to streaming --- bastards.

We used to record a bunch of network series, but then we noticed they were all delivering some form of " Wokeness" --- be it BLM, or LGBQZYZ or who the fuck knows, but they can pound rocks with that gay colored shit.

There's some really heavy duty content on the streaming services, like Ozarks, now thanks to that show my wife wouldn't move to LOTO even for a free mansion on the water.

So since COVID began we've been watching movies from the 70s-80s-90s, and now I know why I smoked for so many years --- everybody in the movies smoked ( RJ Reynolds subliminal programming :oops:).
Anyway, that's how in the past 18 months, our viewing habits have changed, we pretty much only watch older movies. We've tried to watch a couple of recent series re-starts, content blows and they're not even attempting to conceal the mental manipulation tactics.

Go to a movie theatre, why ? I've got my 75" and I'm not sitting on some lice infested seat with my eyeballs bulging from the 400 DB sound system with background music so intense I can't understand any dialog. Besides, I can stop the show to take a piss 😁.

If our habits and viewing preferences are changing so drastically, I imagine the marketing target groups are as well. This genre of home entertainment might be changing to Ala Carte, but the cost is going up considerably having to subscribe to 5 services to get any different preferred shows.
understand the workers wanting more money and better conditions, but the public will bare that expense, just like 8 dollar junk burgers thanks to 15 dollar an hour idiots flipping them.

So I'm sorry, as much as I can empathize with the disparity of wages and pour working conditions, I cringe when considering the future costs of home video entertainment, for basically shitty content with zero realized benefit gained for those additional viewing dollars.

Thanks and Good Luck

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
It just seems crazy to me that this gets coverage. While I feel for the workers directly effected, it is still the entertainment industry and not a critical part of life.

The Healthcare industry right now is down approximately 30% on the employee pool. People are leaving left and right, it has gotten to the point that I have personally sat with a patient on my ambulance gurney waiting to get a patient into an ER bed for over 9 hours because the hospitals did not have the staffing. Now I realize I sound like a dick and it may seem I'm trying to discredit this strike, but that really is not my intention. I'm just surprised that this would get coverage and yet walkouts/strikes that legitimately are a life and death situation go without so much as a blip on the radar.

There are an incredible number of people employed in the industry.
Stop production and a significant number of people stop working.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
On one hand I agree, and certainly see the point. Certainly appreciate the industry insight as provided by yourself, Dan and others on RDP. 👍

On the other, I see the entire industry in flux as viewing habits and preferences are shifting dramatically for all age and demographic groups.

I'm pretty old and I fully realize nobody is directing their marketing at my age group.
I grew up on network TV, then came the huge dish covering much of my backyard where picking up Sat tv was like operating a Ham Radio. Due to the mountain behind me, my other choice was rotating the antenna on the 25' mast till the snow disappeared. Then the dish got much smaller, but the costs were so much higher and all free viewing disappeared.

My son finally recently convinced me to get a Cube for a couple of streaming services my 20 MPS rural download speed can barely handle. At least we were able to finish a couple of series they friggin packed up and moved to streaming --- bastards.

We used to record a bunch of network series, but then we noticed they were all delivering some form of " Wokeness" --- be it BLM, or LGBQZYZ or who the fuck knows, but they can pound rocks with that gay colored shit.

There's some really heavy duty content on the streaming services, like Ozarks, now thanks to that show my wife wouldn't move to LOTO even for a free mansion on the water.

So since COVID began we've been watching movies from the 70s-80s-90s, and now I know why I smoked for so many years --- everybody in the movies smoked ( RJ Reynolds subliminal programming :oops:).
Anyway, that's how in the past 18 months, our viewing habits have changed, we pretty much only watch older movies. We've tried to watch a couple of recent series re-starts, content blows and they're not even attempting to conceal the mental manipulation tactics.

Go to a movie theatre, why ? I've got my 75" and I'm not sitting on some lice infested seat with my eyeballs bulging from the 400 DB sound system with background music so intense I can't understand any dialog. Besides, I can stop the show to take a piss 😁.

If our habits and viewing preferences are changing so drastically, I imagine the marketing target groups are as well. This genre of home entertainment might be changing to Ala Carte, but the cost is going up considerably having to subscribe to 5 services to get any different preferred shows.
understand the workers wanting more money and better conditions, but the public will bare that expense, just like 8 dollar junk burgers thanks to 15 dollar an hour idiots flipping them.

So I'm sorry, as much as I can empathize with the disparity of wages and pour working conditions, I cringe when considering the future costs of home video entertainment, for basically shitty content with zero realized benefit gained for those additional viewing dollars.

Thanks and Good Luck

Hollywood content has been controversial since the beginning of time and will keep changing.

As woke movies go broke the advertisers ultimately stop supporting and that will change as well, this is a phase. Like big hair, it too will dissolve.

One things for sure - lots of things that used to be free will not be in the future.

JDKRXW

Reaction score
Doesn't mean we will strike but just got an email
90% of the people who could vote ...did
and
98% of those voted yes to strike.

Negotiations resume tomorrow. Time will tell🤞

Looks like a snowball may be starting:
10,000+ John Deere hourly workers walked off the job this morning in Iowa and Illinois.
92% rejected the UAW negoatiated 'settlement' of ~ 12% over 6 yrs. PLUS big pension reductions for new hires.
Workers are pissed at Deere (who's made $6B in profit over the last year) ... AND UAW who they think tried to sell them out.

pixrthis

Reaction score
I suppose if “new media” doesn’t want to pay all the union wages, and union doesn’t want to work for wages they are getting now, why not do away with the unions and let it go towards non union work and shops and see if the new media can staff the work with people who will work for what they want to pay

kind of like a typical supply/demand scenario
A problem with that scenario is that there are too many people willing to do the work for free because someone has convinced them that it’s important and glamorous.