WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Running out of fuel

Duramax

Reaction score
One of the things I am paranoid about is running out of fuel, as my boat drinks fuel. Not so much getting stuck, but I hear stories about it hurting engines. This last summer at Havasu I was cruising around the island back to the Nautical, maybe 40-45mph and my port engine quit. I was on fumes so I assumed I finally ran out. Got back to the dock on the other running side, and the port motor fired right back up and idled nicely.
When can you hurt them ruining out of fuel? WFO? just cruising? depends?

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
When I accidentally ran mine out of fuel it threw an alarm and I had to take it to Mario to get it cleared

Reactions: DWC

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
One of the things I am paranoid about is running out of fuel, as my boat drinks fuel. Not so much getting stuck, but I hear stories about it hurting engines. This last summer at Havasu I was cruising around the island back to the Nautical, maybe 40-45mph and my port engine quit. I was on fumes so I assumed I finally ran out. Got back to the dock on the other running side, and the port motor fired right back up and idled nicely.
When can you hurt them ruining out of fuel? WFO? just cruising? depends?

The hurt comes from them going lean as they begin to starve themselves of fuel. In my experience in 2 strokes, the shit hits the fan when you are running it hard, and it runs out this causing a lean condition.

Duramax

Reaction score
The hurt comes from them going lean as they begin to starve themselves of fuel. In my experience in 2 strokes, the shit hits the fan when you are running it hard, and it runs out this causing a lean condition.
Common sense I would think that too.

stingray11

Reaction score
Never a good idea, will hurt your motor every time you do it, how much is up to your motor.

outboard_256

Reaction score

2 strokes its really bad as the engine oil is mixed with the gas. So you also loose oiling. If idling I haven't had an issue but if under a load it can seize things.

Ragged Edge

Man in the Box
Reaction score
As mentioned running a two stroke out of fuel is never a good thing. Running one out of fuel at high rpm is usually catastrophic. That said I had the fuel pump switch shut off three times during last years enduro running over 7500 without issue. Pulled the heads at post race inspection and the cylinder walls looked fine, no scuffing. Things that make you go huh.

HST4ME

Reaction score
Once you use up a two strokes crankcase saturation nothing good comes out of it.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
As mentioned running a two stroke out of fuel is never a good thing. Running one out of fuel at high rpm is usually catastrophic. That said I had the fuel pump switch shut off three times during last years enduro running over 7500 without issue. Pulled the heads at post race inspection and the cylinder walls looked fine, no scuffing. Things that make you go huh.
Yeah.... mine runs out ALL the time. My fuel gauges don't work, and haven't for years. Same with my uncle in his. Our old 2.4 carbed engines are just fine.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BingerFang

Reaction score
Yeah.... mine runs out ALL the time. My fuel gauges don't work, and haven't for years. Same with my uncle in his. Our old 2.4 carbed engines are just fine.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Yea I run mine out everytime I run it.... that’s the only way I know I’m at half tank and switch it over to the other tank 😂