WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Rust flushing out

Reaction score
Hey there so got my new (New to me) 1994 glastron ssv 175 home it has 156 hours on it and looks to be well maintained. I bought some flush muffs hooked her up to the hose got a new battery and it fired right up and idled about 800 rpm is that a descent idle? And it also spit out a lot of rusty water should I be concerned what could this be from? It has been sitting for at least a year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
RPM sounds about right rusty water is likely from the cast iron manifolds. What motor does it have?

Reaction score
It is a Volvo 3.0 L in-line 4 cylinder 130 hp I believe

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
Fresh drive oil, engine oil, check other fluids, fresh water impeller, check all hoses, steering and throttle cable, run that mofo

Also always carry a spare impeller it's a cheap part that can ruin a boating trip or season

Reaction score
Is the fresh water impeller the one in the outdrive? I was thinking that is something I can tackle myself I watched a video and it looked pretty simple? I’m not sure if there is one in the water pump it just looks like a normal water pump

DeltaSigBoater

This is... Legendary!
Reaction score
Is the fresh water impeller the one in the outdrive? I was thinking that is something I can tackle myself I watched a video and it looked pretty simple? I’m not sure if there is one in the water pump it just looks like a normal water pump

Ok, I had an entire post written out based on this post ^^^^^

But saw your other thread, and noticed that you have a MerCruiser Drive with a Volvo Engine.

First thing you need to figure out is, "Did whomever installed the Volvo Engine, remove the Raw Water Pump?"
The blue box is where should be located.
Volvo Water Pump.png

My gut is saying no they didn't..

The Raw Water Pump for a MerCruiser Alpha is in the drive.

You've probably have watched YouTube videos of it being done, and everyone who's ever owned a boat with an Alpha is going to say how simple and and easy it is to do.

I've had a boat with an Alpha, and changing the impeller was a FPITA!!!
To do so, you have to drain the gear oil, then remove lower section of the drive, just to access the impeller housing.

On a Volvo, with a crank driven water pump, to change the impeller, you remove 4 bolts on the pump housing at the front of the engine.

Also it is just easier to replace circulating water-pump, then trying to replace its' impeller.

Lavey 29

Reaction score
1994 Volvo was not a crank driven water pump. 1994 was the married between Volvo and OMC - depending on which set you have because that was the start of it - the impeller can be in the upper drive back section for OMC cobra or if it was a cobra SX the impeller and housing could be belt driven lower starboard side of the engine. Volvo Penta cert for many years And for the record all set ups and procedure and correct parts go off engine serial number. Year model actually means zip -

Shrub Lurker

Reaction score
Can we see actual images of the engine and the out drive? I have never seen a Volvo engine in front of an alpha drive

Reaction score
IMG_2696.jpg
IMG_2695.jpg
IMG_2694.jpg

I don’t think there is a Raw water pump but I’m not sure I think the only impeller is In the drive I’m hoping
I’m running into some problems with the boat electrically like gauges not working hoping my local marine shop doesn’t charge me out the a$$ to fix it

Reaction score
That's a Mercruiser 3.0 not a volvo penta engine. There is not one volvo part on that engine. The impeller is in the lower unit for all alphas

Awesome thank you so Much I appreciate it. By the lower unit you mean the outdrive correct