WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Rusted frame Jeep Wrangler

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
Long story short. My Pops bought a 99 Wrangler. He's out of the state right now. Was looking over it for him real quick today and there is significant rust damage to the frame. And some shitty repairs. I just started looking things up online and it seems like a common problem and there are some aftermarket fixes for it. Figured I'd ask the brain trust for there experience in making these repairs. Here are some pics.

Is there a go to guy in Havasu for this? Ball park for the repair costs?

Not a project I think I can take on unless a drag it back to cali with me.

Attachments

• 20200816_104258.jpg
    20200816_104258.jpg
    290.4 KB · Views: 997
  • 20200816_104505.jpg
    20200816_104505.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 337
  • 20200816_104645.jpg
    20200816_104645.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 303

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
Wow.

Complete frame would be the right way, but a lengthy project.
Unless you are a welder, and pulling the body and drivetrain. Welding Swiss cheese, lol.
Good luck.

Dan'l

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
Wrangler frames are cheap and pretty darn easy to swap, actually wranglers in general are cheap, i would buy a new one and swap whatever parts you want from the one you have, it will be way cheaper in the long run and safer, if the frame is that bad the rest is going to be a nitemare working on

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
Wow.

Complete frame would be the right way, but a lengthy project.
Unless you are a welder, and pulling the body and drivetrain. Welding Swiss cheese, lol.
Good luck.

Dan'l
Yeah. I got under it because theres a small tranny leak. Looked up and saw some rust started poking around and my fingers just keep going through. I didn't have a ton of time to mess with it but visually looked and banged on the frame everywhere I could. Seems to be limited to the front sections.

Sucks to say the least.

Riverbottom

Reaction score
I would just buy a new frame. It is not a difficult swap, and you will get your hands on every component and know it is done right. Once the body is off, you can lift the motor, trans. transfer case and front drive shaft as one assembly. ( forklift makes it simple ) If you have access to a two post hoist it makes it easier to lift the body and roll the chassis out from under it. Granted I had a auto body shop for thirty years and did many frame swaps, so I am pretty familiar with the process.

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
Wrangler frames are cheap and pretty darn easy to swap, actually wranglers in general are cheap, i would buy a new one and swap whatever parts you want from the one you have, it will be way cheaper in the long run and safer, if the frame is that bad the rest is going to be a nitemare working on
That was kinda my 1st though. The drive train is solid. Would need to find a doner with a solid frame that may be the easiest.

Or cut losses, sell it honestly disclosing the frame damage.

He got screwed by what he thought was an honest guy out in golden valley, but he knows it's on him for not checking it properly.

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
I would just buy a new frame. It is not a difficult swap, and you will get your hands on every component and know it is done right. Once the body is off, you can lift the motor, trans. transfer case and front drive shaft as one assembly. ( forklift makes it simple ) If you have access to a two post hoist it makes it easier to lift the body and roll the chassis out from under it. Granted I had a auto body shop for thirty years and did many frame swaps, so I am pretty familiar with the process.
Thanks! Even if I had at my home garage, not having a lift and hoist would be a pain. Wondering if there is some reputable places near Havasu that could do it and what a ba park cost would be for a frame swap.

At least these Jeep's are simple and parts are available.

6 balls

Reaction score
SafeTCap Frame repair parts are available here...

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
Thanks. That's the 1st sure I found as well pretty interesting. Seems like an option.

DEEZNUTS

Reaction score
Theres a guy up in ca high desert that parts these. He usually has a lot of clean CA frames. I think he goes by sgtswole in facebook or some shit.

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
Theres a guy up in ca high desert that parts these. He usually has a lot of clean CA frames. I think he goes by sgtswole in facebook or some shit.
I'm in apple valley so that would be perfect. I'll try and find him. Thank you.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
The song is over. New frame, brake lines and I suggest fuel lines at a minimum.
I currently live in the salt belt. Seen it all. I would just start over. The undercarriage has to have taken a hit as well. No need in starting out with a bad foundation.

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
The song is over. New frame, brake lines and I suggest fuel lines at a minimum.
I currently live in the salt belt. Seen it all. I would just start over. The undercarriage has to have taken a hit as well. No need in starting out with a bad foundation.
Thanks man.

DLC

Reaction score
The bodies are fairly easy to remove, I would do that and then take a better look at what’s going on. Then set the body on some saw horses.

watch a u tube vid on body lifts For the same year and your about there, then electric Connections and lines fuel & brake, steering linkage

I wouldn’t fix the frame, plenty of places to find one. Just need to net work some shops call around Currie, genright, post a question on wrangler forums Etc

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
The bodies are fairly easy to remove, I would do that and then take a better look at what’s going on. Then set the body on some saw horses.

watch a u tube vid on body lifts For the same year and your about there, then electric Connections and lines fuel & brake, steering linkage

I wouldn’t fix the frame, plenty of places to find one. Just need to net work some shops call around Currie, genright, post a question on wrangler forums Etc
Thank you. I'll probably post something on our off road section to. I'm going to do some more recon today and see how much a frame would be. We may just have to try and find a shop willing to take on the work around Havasu. If I drag it back to Apple valley with me it's still going to be a hard project time wise to complete for him.

Definitely leaning hard on a frame replacement though.

Thanks again.

Ladsm

Reaction score
TriCounty Gear in Pomona is a jeep wrecking yard and has frames also, If you have a couple buddies you can do it in a weekend.

Just make sure you get all the vin #s straightened up with the DMV so you dont have problems later.

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
TriCounty Gear in Pomona is a jeep wrecking yard and has frames also, If you have a couple buddies you can do it in a weekend.

Just make sure you get all the vin #s straightened up with the DMV so you dont have problems later.
Thanks. And good call in the DMV shit.

DLC

Reaction score

I was trying to remember those guys last night, but it wasn’t poping up for me....

TCG is a good resource!