WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Rv beach camping?

nrbr

Reaction score
Anyone have any suggestions on best spot for a weekend type trip on socal beaches? We have a 30' 5th wheel , would prefer to be plugged in. We did campland last year and really liked it (we have 2 daughters 6 and 8) but is was a bit far . Seal beach looked cool but website says no popouts.

boataholic

Reaction score
If your trying to stay close to Long beach area, Huntington has a few options Bolsa Chica campground can accommodate your rig.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Newport dunes.
Doheny State park.
Carlsbad state park.
Cardiff state park.
The last three are all on the beach.

HCP3

Reaction score
State beaches are a bitch to get reservations. You need to book months in advance, and as soon as the reservations open.

With that said, Carlsbad is badass. Right on the edge of the bluffs.

chvynhra

Reaction score
Paradise by the sea is a little closer, south oceanside. Short walk to the beach and bicycle ride to Pizza Port.

Albert

Reaction score
upload_2019-1-25_9-26-42.gif

You want a beach spot?

teded

Reaction score
We go through Reserve California. It’s quite a process. There’s a few with hookups, San Elijo, south Carlsbad, San Clemente, we stay south mostly. Summertime books up 7 months in advance. We made a reservation January 21 for camp spot starting July 21 for a week, that’s 7 months.
They sell out fast.

Sent from space

LakeBeard

Reaction score
Check out El Capitan, great spot, usually not a pain to get in. Point Magoo isn't bad either.

nrbr

Reaction score
State beaches are a bitch to get reservations. You need to book months in advance, and as soon as the reservations open.

With that said, Carlsbad is badass. Right on the edge of the bluffs.
Sounds like more of a longer term goal then lol

nrbr

Reaction score
We go through Reserve California. It’s quite a process. There’s a few with hookups, San Elijo, south Carlsbad, San Clemente, we stay south mostly. Summertime books up 7 months in advance. We made a reservation January 21 for camp spot starting July 21 for a week, that’s 7 months.
They sell out fast.

Sent from space
I had no idea it was that far out for reservations!!! Crazy

bagged97taco

Reaction score
We stopped going to silverstrands on Coronado island because of the reserve california bs. Plus the camp nazis are tools.

wzuber

Reaction score
maybe it's changed but winter time used to be pretty open/avail to just arrive and spot a site. Emma woods is a little far (ventura) and is dry camp only but you are literally toes in the sand at your rv door. (you can have a generator 8am-8pm) It's first come, first serve so if you can get there (winter time) fri. morn. you are most likely assured a spot, thurs. arrival all but assures a great spot.

boataholic

Reaction score
We tend to get lucky with only booking out 2-3 weeks in advance throughout the winter weekends
20160217_101015.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

sirbob

Reaction score
I just got back from a beach walk from my house - the park in San Clemente looked about half empty.

Right off Califia parkway and the 5 - bluff top camping with one of the best views of the coast.

Screen Shot 2019-01-25 at 1.43.30 PM.png

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
A little bit if a drive.... But Morro Strand State park is great! Not in down town Morro Bay so its a bit more laid back but only about 5 minutes from downtown Morro Bay and about 5 mins from Cayucus

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

HBCraig

Reaction score
the Strand in San Diego. It is on Coronado Island. Super cool

Meaney77

Reaction score
Paradise by the sea is a little closer, south oceanside. Short walk to the beach and bicycle ride to Pizza Port.
X2, we stayed there for New Years and it was a pretty cool RV Park.

Might also try Leo Carillio
Rincon Parkway
Thornhill Broom
Emma Wood
Hobsons
Faria

Ventura RV Park isnt bad but they were hit pretty hard with the rains and not sure if they are open. Nice park, but loud with freeway noise.

chvynhra

Reaction score
Leo Carillo is my favorite, not sure if it is open due to the damage from the fire.

Cobalt232

Reaction score
I just got back from a beach walk from my house - the park in San Clemente looked about half empty.

Right off Califia parkway and the 5 - bluff top camping with one of the best views of the coast.

View attachment 722003
We are SC neighbors. We live on the inland side though...

Camping is also good at San Mateo Campground in San Clemente if you can't get into ones on the ocean side of the 5. There is a nice bike trail to Trestles if you surf.

Cdog

Reaction score
In SoCal we've done

San Clemente N side of 5 & South side
Crystal Cove
Bolsa Chica
Huntington Beach
Silver Strand
Dana Point
Newport Dunes

Not a fan of HB. Too many transients and bums. Electric and a communal shitter dump.

Newport Dunes. Awesome place. Full hookups. Expensive.

Crystal cove is limited but if you can deal with dry camp and use a little generator there are some great spots without hookups. Hook up spots have electric & water but communal shitter dump. Did CC for thanksgiving back in 2016 and had the SW corner spot by the school. It was a great trip. My mom lives right up Newport and there's a pavilions at Newport and Joaquin Hills. One of our favorites.

San Clemente S/Water side is a lot of fun. Full hook ups. We stayed a week last march and the place was a ghost town. Full hook ups on the RV pads. On the N side you'll hear Helo training constantly. Cool at first but gets old after a day or two.

Dana Point is no hook ups. First come first serve parking lot camping. Some weirdo's around from my experience.

Silver strand was a lot of fun. Electric & water but communal shitter dump. 38 feet of trailer will fit fine in the middle spots. Stayed January 2018 for 5 days. Great location and lots to do around SD. Awesome Carne Asada available 10 min away in Imperial Beach. Felt safe.

Bolsa Chica is decent. Electric & water but communal shitter dump. Lots of old timers. The PCH side is noisy. Close to everything. We will be doing the kids SB there in March starting St. Paddy's day.

Keep the list going fellas. This is good stuff.

fullsizeoutput_10b.jpeg

IMG_5609.JPG

Last edited:

HCP3

Reaction score
I agree with Cdog. I didn't mention HB because it's terrible these days. I was there a month or so ago. Don't know that I'll be back. I couldn't believe the transient situation. It never used to be like that.

Last edited:

nrbr

Reaction score
In SoCal we've done

San Clemente N side of 5 & South side
Crystal Cove
Bolsa Chica
Huntington Beach
Silver Strand
Dana Point
Newport Dunes

Not a fan of HB. Too many transients and bums. Electric and a communal shitter dump.

Newport Dunes. Awesome place. Full hookups. Expensive.

Crystal cove is limited but if you can deal with dry camp and use a little generator there are some great spots without hookups. Hook up spots have electric & water but communal shitter dump. Did CC for thanksgiving back in 2016 and had the SW corner spot by the school. It was a great trip. My mom lives right up Newport and there's a pavilions at Newport and Joaquin Hills. One of our favorites.

San Clemente S/Water side is a lot of fun. Full hook ups. We stayed a week last march and the place was a ghost town. Full hook ups on the RV pads. On the N side you'll hear Helo training constantly. Cool at first but gets old after a day or two.

Dana Point is no hook ups. First come first serve parking lot camping. Some weirdo's around from my experience.

Silver strand was a lot of fun. Electric & water but communal shitter dump. 38 feet of trailer will fit fine in the middle spots. Stayed January 2018 for 5 days. Great location and lots to do around SD. Awesome Carne Asada available 10 min away in Imperial Beach. Felt safe.

Bolsa Chica is decent. Electric & water but communal shitter dump. Lots of old timers. The PCH side is noisy. Close to everything. We will be doing the kids SB there in March starting St. Paddy's day.

Keep the list going fellas. This is good stuff.

View attachment 722044
View attachment 722045
Great info thanks!

nrbr

Reaction score
I agree with Cdog. I didn't mention HB because it's terrible these days. I was there a month or so ago. Don't know that I'll be back. I couldn't believe the transient situation. It never used to be like that.
That sucks to hear, was driving by the other day and it kinda inspired me to want to do a beach camp... oh well crystal cove sounds like where I'll try !

Terry G

Reaction score
We stayed @ Carlsbad twice this winter, booked the spots several months in advance. There are a few hook-up spots, but the bigger and better spots don't have them. Watched dolphins and whales, shopping and dining in town too.
IMG_6225[1].JPG
Great campground, amazing views and things to do.

Meaney77

Reaction score
Unfortunately I think that is a thing of the times these days. Beach towns are notorious for bums everywhere.

Cdog

Reaction score
Unfortunately I think that is a thing of the times these days. Beach towns are notorious for bums everywhere.

Just west down the road at Bolsa Chica it’s a totally different vibe. More locals & old timers.

HB has always been fly paper for out of area dbags.

Cdog

Reaction score
If you go up the coast Rincon is awesome if you can snag a spot. The park in Buellton of of the 101 S of the Andersons Pea soup is a real nice place. The park at Pismo Beach that’s S of the beach entrance by the 7-11 is nice as well. Met some cool people camping there.

The KOA in moss landing is decent. Best seafood restaurant around Phil’s fish market is walking distance.

Hardly Satisfied

Riverside, CA & Havasu
Reaction score
Anyone have any suggestions on best spot for a weekend type trip on socal beaches? We have a 30' 5th wheel , would prefer to be plugged in. We did campland last year and really liked it (we have 2 daughters 6 and 8) but is was a bit far . Seal beach looked cool but website says no popouts.
We always go to Dockweiler beach. Full hook ups. The beach I saw pretty much yours never gets crowded. It's almost next to LA X airport but the noise from the planes isn't bad at all

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
We’ve done Bolsa Chica and Dockweiler.

Didn’t care for Bolsa Chica. Trying to back in a 36’ 5th Wheel there was next to impossible. Community Dump and no Cable TV. Besides that it was great. Your right next to Sunset Beach and a couple of good resturaunts and dive bars.

Dockweiler takes a little getting use to. Your right at the end of the runway @ LAX but after a few hours it starts to become white noise. It’s a short bicycle ride to either Redondo Beach to the south and Venice to the north.

4Waters

Reaction score
X2, we stayed there for New Years and it was a pretty cool RV Park.

Might also try Leo Carillio
Rincon Parkway
Thornhill Broom
Emma Wood
Hobsons
Faria

Ventura RV Park isnt bad but they were hit pretty hard with the rains and not sure if they are open. Nice park, but loud with freeway noise.
Hobson's is like Parker, CLOSED.

Hallett_Whacker

Reaction score
I've done Bolsa and Huntington Beach (3 times). All four of the trips were 3 nights.

Bolsa Chica is tight to get into. I have a 37 Outlaw, and when I pulled in, I had to ask the people across from me to move the truck parked in front of their trailer so that I'd have more room to turn. It's almost impossible to get a spot, but the other campers were super cool. Almost everyone is local--Lakewood, HB, Los Al, Garden Grove, LB, etc...

Huntington is awesome. This is a trip that I do for my 17 year old son and his buddies. Easier to get spots, a breeze to get in and out of, across the street from Pacific City, and a short walk to Main st. Tons to do, tons of places to eat at, cool bars, etc... The downside is, they're closed to overnight camping during the summer. Also there's some homeless folk that hang out around there, but they didn't bother us at all.

Hallett_Whacker

Reaction score
There was a group of 3 that hung out by the restrooms. A middle age guy (mid 50s maybe) and a younger (20s) fairly attractive and clean couple. Again, they didn't bother us at all, but it is an issue to consider, specifically at this park.

It's crazy how bad the homeless problem has become in SoCal (fucking drugs)...