WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

RV CO detector....WTF?

HotRod82

Reaction score
I have a dual mode CO and LP detector in the moho and recently the CO detector alarmed for no apparent reason. The unit is 5 years old so I replaced it. The new one is doing the same thing, quiet for a couple days then alarms again. Nothing is on in the coach, where is the CO coming from? OR is there something else that triggers the CO? Soaps? Cleaners? Chemicals?

Any guesses?

yz450mm

Reaction score
I have a dual mode CO and LP detector in the moho and recently the CO detector alarmed for no apparent reason. The unit is 5 years old so I replaced it. The new one is doing the same thing, quiet for a couple days then alarms again. Nothing is on in the coach, where is the CO coming from? OR is there something else that triggers the CO? Soaps? Cleaners? Chemicals?

Any guesses?
My combo unit in the new trailer started throwing false warning beeps randomly at 6 months old, it was driving me nuts. I finally just threw it away and amazoned a new one, no false alarms or beeps since. Maybe you just got a bad unit?

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
They tend to shit the bed every 5 years or so from what we have experienced. If its new and you are getting an alarm you likely have an issue. Fridge, water heater, range, oven, start checking lines with windex.

EmpirE231

Reaction score
It always seems to happen right after bed time lol

I would just think that you got a bad unit? Does your RV have propane?

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
They tend to shit the bed every 5 years or so from what we have experienced. If its new and you are getting an alarm you likely have an issue. Fridge, water heater, range, oven, start checking lines with windex.
They actually have an end of cycle beep/light sequence and that damned thing doesn't care if it's 3am at the Islander when it decides it's time.

HotRod82

Reaction score
It’s the CO alarm, not the LP. RV is parked in the garage and everything is off.

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
Open the windows and see if it stops beeping...

propcheck

Reaction score
CO. Is a byproduct of combustion in a coach if all things are off and you are still getting an alarm the unit is bad. Just make sure your water heater is not cycling and causing the issue.

HotRod82

Reaction score
Are your coach batteries low ? Mine goes off when i forget to disconnect the batteries and they get to low
The coach is in the garage plugged in. Nothing is on combustion wise. Just strange the new unit is alarming the same as the old one..,.I’m really wondering if a cleaner or other chemical can set it off.

Sawtooth

Thanks for everything Dad
Reaction score
The coach is in the garage plugged in. Nothing is on combustion wise. Just strange the new unit is alarming the same as the old one..,.I’m really wondering if a cleaner or other chemical can set it off.
Is the F.A.U. or the water heater for the house in said garage RV is stored in?

HotRod82

Reaction score
Is the F.A.U. or the water heater for the house in said garage RV is stored in?
No, nothing in there at all. I'm going to put a regular residential detector in there to see if it goes off.

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
When I purge the air from my water lines, it goes off. Not related to your deal, I just wanted to get that out there.

Riverbottom

Reaction score

Since when have you owned anything for five years. :rolleyes:

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
I had a combo fire/co detector go nuts and it was only a few weeks old. Unhooked it from the bus and brought it in the house just to make sure. Damn thing wouldnt shut off and now they’re like sealed with lithium batteries that you can’t remove. Ended up taking it back and getting a new one beeping the whole time. The worst part is it scares the hell out of you thinking something’s on fire, or leaking, or leaking and on fire. It’s like the worst feeling ever.

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
I had a combo fire/co detector go nuts and it was only a few weeks old. Unhooked it from the bus and brought it in the house just to make sure. Damn thing wouldnt shut off and now they’re like sealed with lithium batteries that you can’t remove. Ended up taking it back and getting a new one beeping the whole time. The worst part is it scares the hell out of you thinking something’s on fire, or leaking, or leaking and on fire. It’s like the worst feeling ever.
It scarred my dog for life. I can't even whistle for her anymore without her trying to crawl under a bed.

Ragged Edge

Man in the Box
Reaction score
The one in our RV would go off if it got too hot or cold inside. It started going off in the afternoon during the August heat wave we get every summer. RV stored in our driveway, plugged in, gas off, nothing in the RV on, so I disconnected it. Reconnected when we used the RV over Thanksgiving weekend, no issues. Started going off again in January when the overnight temps got down in the low 40's. Noticed the RV beeping in the morning on my way to work. Disconnected it again and never reconnected it.

The RV was 5 to 6 years old when this started, so the 5 year life span for these things makes sense.