WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

RV Destinations / Camping

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
So...

It looks like we'll be holding onto the current 5th wheel for awhile (or upgrading if we get really crazy) and camping in or around as many RV resorts as we can. We are members of the Colorado River Adventures, Coast to Coast, and Good Sams.

One of our major issues with the 5th wheel in the past has always been finding places to take it with hook ups and availability for a trailer over 35ft. Hopefully this new membership takes care of that problem completely. Our 5th wheel is not a park model so it does have a fresh, holding, and 2 grey tanks, but I prefer full or at least partial hook ups for ease with the 4 kids.

I know there is a ton of RV/Camping experience on the boards so I'm curious what your recommendations are in regards to RV Destinations.

We stayed at the KQ Ranch down in near Julian and it was a ton of fun even though it was snowed in. We'll be going there a few times over the summer taking advantage of our membership, and already have reservations at an RV Resort in Beaumont and Desert Hot Springs for short 2 or 3 day trips in the near future.

Where else do you regulars usually take your Trailers/RV's in the SoCal/Arizona Area to vacation with the family?

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
KQ Ranch Morning.jpg
KR Ranch Spot .jpg

bagged97taco

Reaction score
If you want to adventure a little further. We do silverton, Colorado and priests gulch camp ground between Dolores and telluride. Beautiful area with hiking, fishing, shopping etc. we go every year to silverton for the 4th of July and take the rzr our riding. then go to priest gulch to relax and fish Beautiful area.

Reactions: t&y

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Colorado, Wyoming, and Montana are on our lists for sure. I have family in Colorado which will be incorporated in that journey. That will be a 2-3 week adventure to make it worth it.

Meaney77

Reaction score
Rincon Parkway is a good time and they now take reservations so it make it easier to plan a trip- Little ones can play in the sand all day long.

Flying Flags in Buellton- I have yet to stay there but have heard great things from several friends who have gone. Its kid friendly with lots of stuff to keep the busy. Also close to wineries and breweries.

Pismo Beach- camp on the beach or in town. Lots to do and see, including the pier and dunes.

Santa Paula KOA- Super kid friendly

Lake Casitas and Lake Cachuma- Relaxing and hanging out. Cant go in the water but can fish.

Zephyr Cove - Lake Tahoe- https://www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/threads/road-trip-lake-tahoe.186383/

Santa Cruz

Mammoth- Several camp grounds including Mammoth Mtn RV Park, and Pine Glenn- Lots to do and see both winter and summer time.

Bridgeport- great fishing and some cool campgrounds.

I am looking to do another road trip with my family this season- just not totally sure where yet, still mapping out details.

Last edited:

WYRD

Reaction score
We will be doing yucaipa regional over Christmas

Hydroman55

Reaction score
Short story been to 49 states when I had my Country Coach Magna........The best place I ever stayed was April in Marathon Key at Jolly Roger RV Park. Waterfront with motorhome 2 feet from water. Walked out of the motorhome and got into 80 degree clear azure colored water (gulf side no waves) and snorkel drinking boat drinks for days. Never wanted it to end!!

grumpy88

Reaction score
In California I would say new port dunes , flying flags in buelltion and wine country rv in Paso Robles .ca . Those would be 3 full hook up sites in California I would visit

yz450mm

Reaction score
I highly recommend Newport Dunes for a close but fun getaway.

Calico campground for 2 nights, the saloon has cold beer and the people watching is great.

Crystal Cove sounds fun, haven't been so I don't know if larger rigs are OK.

HB/Bolsa Chica, but I've never figured out the size limits or seasonal schedule.

Mammoth sounds epic, one of these days I'm gonna pull the trigger and head up there with the trailer. Done Mammoth plenty of times to just ski/board, but taking the trailer would be a whole different experience.

Campland in SD was fun, but I would suggest doing a scouting mission first to figure out which site you want. They all look great on the map, but once you get there the different areas have totally different vibes.

BajaMike

Reaction score
Great state parks in California from San Clemente to Dana Point to Malibu to Santa Barbara (Refugio) and on North, all right on the ocean and most can handle a big 5th wheel. Some of the parks have an “oversize vehicle charge”. Also, Sequoia National Park for a closer trip and of course Yosemite.

Last edited:

grumpy88

Reaction score
Great state parks in California from San Clemente to Dana Point to Malibu to Santa Barbara (Refugio) and on North, all right on the ocean and most can handle a big 5th wheel. Buy a California State parks pass and stay at all of them for free. Also, Sequoia National Park for a closer trip and of course Yosemite.
What's this California state pass ? It's like 45 dollars a night to dry camp at a state park . I have never heard of it

EckFX

Reaction score
In California we love Campland in San Diego. Plenty of parking for ANY size rig or trailer. You can choose beachfront, hookup or non hookup, (non hookup is cheaper and they have free dump-stations) Campland is tucked back in a quiet corner and has a ton of amenities. First you have the private swimming beach. Fishing from the jetty. You have kayak, waterbike, and catamaran rentals. Golf cart rentals, beach cruiser rentals, (or bring your own!) Then you have two pools, two jacuzzi’s, horse shoe pits, gym. And for the kids theres an arcade, a skatepark, basketball, biking throughout the park is always fun for everyone. In the center theres a restaurant/bar, a store (which has all you need so you don't have to leave), and a diy laundry facility. In the summer its not cheap, but the amenities increase with planned daily activities for the kids like soccer, bounce house jousting, flag football, ping pong tournaments, and dodgeball. For the adults on the weekend summer nights theres always a cover band performing on Friday and Saturday nights. Sorry if I sound like I work there but our family has had so many good times here we just cant say enough good things about it. Good luck and safe travels in your RV/5th wheel. May the road always lead you to a new adventure!!

Last edited:

BajaMike

Reaction score
What's this California state pass ? It's like 45 dollars a night to dry camp at a state park . I have never heard of it

Sorry, I was wrong. It looks like they don’t have it anymore. All they have is a “day pass”. There is a “Oversized vehicle pass” but only good for day use. Also, a “Handicap Pass” that gives 50% off on day and overnight charges.

They used to have an overnight pass, but its been 10 or 15 years since I had one of those.

Sorry, I’m going to edit my original post.

Here’s the site with the info:

https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=1049

Meaney77

Reaction score
Mammoth sounds epic, one of these days I'm gonna pull the trigger and head up there with the trailer. Done Mammoth plenty of times to just ski/board, but taking the trailer would be a whole different experience.

Campland in SD was fun, but I would suggest doing a scouting mission first to figure out which site you want. They all look great on the map, but once you get there the different areas have totally different vibes.

We used to only do Mammoth during the winter but I think I enjoy summers up there more. Tons of off roading/ dual sport riding, fishing, etc.. I love it up there.

Agree about Campland- we spent a New Years there about 5 years ago and it was okay. It was black top camping and just kinda weird- not sure if I would go back.

Meaney77

Reaction score
Pirates Cove peninsula spots are bad ass too, we book 12 days every summer and have been doing this annually for about the last 15 years.

X Hoser

Reaction score
Chula Vista RV Resort is very nice. On the Bay but a little pricey. Same with Ventura Beach RV Resort. Buellton is one of our favorites. A little more "privacy" if you stay on the south end but really nowhere in the park is bad. Walk to Anderson's Split Pea Soup Restaurant, coffee shops etc. Day trips to Solvang, Pismo, Jalama Beach, Paso Robles, (Firestone Brewery).

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Colorado, Wyoming, and Montana are on our lists for sure. I have family in Colorado which will be incorporated in that journey. That will be a 2-3 week adventure to make it worth it.

In the Four Corners area;

Priest Gulch as mentioned is really nice. A little closer to Dolores is the Dolores RV Park, it is almost always full, though this year I don't know if that'll be an issue.

If you want to stay right on the river, the Outpost Motel in Dolores has (or had last time I checked) two spots adjacent to the river. It is a small RV park with maybe a dozen spots but full hook-ups.

I can't remember what the length limit is in Mesa Verde NP, but the Morefield Camp Ground has full hook ups and is in a really neat spot. Lots of hiking.

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
We used good sams a lot in our travels, but do not go by their ratings for a park. ( if you go to Flying J or pilot you get a gas discount) They have a trip planner if you are a member. Plan your trip of where you want to go and plug it into the planner. It will show you all of the parks along your route. When you find a park that you think you might like, plug the name into a google search for reviews. Make sure you look at CURRENT pictures. With that being said we traveled a ton for 3 years in most states that aren't in the middle of the country and can give recommendations. We have a 40ft 5th wheel with a residential fridge, so hook ups were important.

fmo24

Reaction score
RVparky is another good app. Shows campgrounds, rest stops and fuel stations in any area. Either punch in a City or use your current location to find stops. Then as stated review campgrounds that sound interesting on either campground review or any sight like that. We travel full time and try to use thousand trails parks as it is no out of pocket for us. When on the road it is either rest stops or truck stops for overnight stops. No kids so we do not have to take that into consideration

Gelcoater

Reaction score
In the Four Corners area;

Priest Gulch as mentioned is really nice. A little closer to Dolores is the Dolores RV Park, it is almost always full, though this year I don't know if that'll be an issue.

If you want to stay right on the river, the Outpost Motel in Dolores has (or had last time I checked) two spots adjacent to the river. It is a small RV park with maybe a dozen spots but full hook-ups.

I can't remember what the length limit is in Mesa Verde NP, but the Morefield Camp Ground has full hook ups and is in a really neat spot. Lots of hiking.
you beat me to the punch on the Mesa Verde deal.
Awesome place.

@t&y you like to fish?
Kern river, upper Kern/Kernville.
Relaxing place, tons of camping along there.
I prefer River Nook;)