WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

RV Garage Electrical Question

probablecause

Reaction score
I have a sub-panel in my RV garage and a tube that goes to a shed next to it. My question is can I run romex from the sub to the tube and then just the 12/2 wire through the tube to the shed? or do I have to put a box on top of the tube and then run the romex to it?

Thanks,

Attachments

• RVtoShed.jpg
    RVtoShed.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 212

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Yeah.... no double insulation inside conduit. From what I was told, it due to the conductors not being allowed enough air contact to cool properly.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Taboma

Reaction score
OK seriously, my suggestions would be --- Either -- A. Put a 4 square box on the conduit using a properly sized conduit connecter (Threaded male adaptor with locknut).
With romex from the panel to that box, entering both the box and sub-panel with proper romex connectors. Then pull proper sized THHN conductors, along with a ground wire, splicing those with wire nuts in the box to your romex conductors.
OR ---
Plan B -- install a piece of flexible metallic conduit between the panel and the conduit, using the proper fittings and pull THHN, with a ground, directly from the sub-panel to the other end of the conduit and 2nd box.
In either case, I haven't a clue what's on the other end of that conduit and how you're going to deal with that end.
Sans a few minor details (Possibly important) that's the basic plan to get you started.

DLC

Reaction score
What do you want to do in the shed? Add a light and a plug?

if so get a glue on 2 port box to the ELE conduct (tube)

run your Romex to the new box thru one port with a locking adapter into a gfi outlet and then run separate wires THHN thru the conduct (tube) to the shed then do the same thing in the shed.

Just use a regular outlet and a switch for a light, you might want a 2 gang box for the shed ( switch and outlet)

Attachments

• 4B90A4B0-C3E9-4C54-8DE7-55B8BB2F1F25.jpeg
    4B90A4B0-C3E9-4C54-8DE7-55B8BB2F1F25.jpeg
    68 KB · Views: 45

Brobee

Reaction score
I’m fairly certain he wasn’t asking about running romex through the conduit, but instead terminating the metal layer at the conduit and pulling the wire only through to the shed. I would install a junction box at the transition just for ease of termination and replacement if the wires ever need changing. Loop the wire in the box and right down the conduit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

probablecause

Reaction score
I would not run Romex all the way through it would just go into the pipe for about 6" as stated, it would be the 12 2 wiring only

Last edited:

SoCalDave

Reaction score
I have a sub-panel in my RV garage and a tube that goes to a shed next to it. My question is can I run romex from the sub to the tube and then just the 12/2 wire through the tube to the shed? or do I have to put a box on top of the tube and then run the romex to it?

Thanks,

Romex cannot be exposed (open) to an occupied space, garage or not. You'll need to run either seal-tight or armored cable from the sub to a box mounted onto the tube then just run 12 gauge solid wire from the sub to the shed. This will handle 20amps at 120vac.
How far is the run to the shed?

Joe mama

Reaction score
PVC underground is considered a damp location. No go for Romex. But I’m sure romex can be installed in conduit for physical protection.

Taboma

Reaction score
Romex cannot be exposed (open) to an occupied space, garage or not. You'll need to run either seal-tight or armored cable from the sub to a box mounted onto the tube then just run 12 gauge solid wire from the sub to the shed. This will handle 20amps at 120vac.

Shhhhhh :p ---- we don't want anybody to see that orange romex exposed in the picture ;) Seems that ship has done sailed :D

Taboma

Reaction score
PVC underground is considered a damp location. No go for Romex. But I’m sure romex can be installed in conduit for physical protection.

I think it's one of those "Up to the inspector's whims" or AHJ things --- I doubt most would say anything for a few feet, except for the damp location issue you mentioned.

Taboma

Reaction score
334.15 B But then again it can be in black and white in front of them
And well you know how that can go.

Never done it other than through a nipple or short conduit between boxes --- normally in some retro-fit application. I think it's the conduit fill, cross sectional area where it gets tricky. You have to use the widest dimension of the eclipse was my understanding.
I haven't wired a house in 40 years except my own and it's more of an industrial spec thing --- overkill much !! lol :)

Taboma

Reaction score
I would not run Romex all the way through it would just go into the pipe for about 6" as stated, it would be the 12 2 wiring only

Please don't do that, as in strip off the outer jacket and just use the wires ( At least I think that's what you're implying here) --- put a box on it and run the proper damp location wires to a box in your shed before continuing on in romex.

probablecause

Reaction score
Shhhhhh :p ---- we don't want anybody to see that orange romex exposed in the picture ;) Seems that ship has done sailed :D
I am not sure what you mean by exposed and that ship has sailed.

Taboma

Reaction score
I am not sure what you mean by exposed and that ship has sailed.

Sorry, didn't mean to confuse you.
Was referring to So Cal Dave's correct comment about exposed unprotected romex. Which there clearly already is exposed romex visible in the picture.
Just keep it off the stud faces, keeping it back in the wall as it is now.

probablecause

Reaction score
Ok, ...sections of 334.10(3) and the revised language of 334.10(1), it is clear that nonmetallic-sheathed cable is permitted to be installed exposed in one- and two-family dwellings, their attached and detached garages, and their storage buildings. That is what I am going off of for my detached RV garage.

probablecause

Reaction score
Sorry, didn't mean to confuse you.
Was referring to So Cal Dave's correct comment about exposed unprotected romex. Which there clearly already is exposed romex visible in the picture.
Just keep it off the stud faces, keeping it back in the wall as it is now.
If I were to dry wall it, I would put a nail-plate on it.

Taboma

Reaction score
If I were to dry wall it, I would put a nail-plate on it.

I wouldn't over think it, although nail plates are great protection. If you run romex out of the panel to a J-box mounted on the conduit (Which I'd recommend), just drill the stud in the center, run the romex up the inside of the stud and strap it before you enter the panel or box. You're good.

King295

Well-Known Inmate #20225
Reaction score

I was told by an inspector that the exposed romex in my garage was fine as it was above 7 feet. Not sure if it was true but its still there....

SoCalDave

Reaction score

LOL, I didn't even see that "other romex" to the right of the arrow line.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Romex shouldn't go through a conduit (tube)...the appropriate way to do it is to run romex out of your sub, staple it to the studs until it arrives at a hole in the wall...which can't be cut with a hole saw, but must be produced by using a percussive instrument...like a rusty framing hammer....bash a nice big hole, then string your Romex though that, and staple it on the other side...no more than 16" between staples (we're doing this to code)...and all is well.

Joe mama

Reaction score
Cad Weld not required on those ground rods 250-.........Lmao

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
You’re not allowed to run “Romex” outdoors unless it’s UF cable which is water rated. Though not commonly done, “UF Cable” aka UG Romex is allowed in the PVC conduit with the outer sheath on it but the conduit fill will be derated because of sheath. If that’s a 3/4” conduit you can install up to #10/3 UF cable in conduit with it’s sheathing on, but it won’t be fun to pull.
It’s best to install flex conduit from panel to box at each end of PVC and pull 4 individual THWN conductors(2 hot’s,Neutral, & ground).
But for a simple installation, nothing wrong with installing 12-2 UF Cable with sheathing from garage panel thru PVC to Shed.

Taboma

Reaction score
You’re not allowed to run “Romex” outdoors unless it’s UF cable which is water rated. Though not commonly done, “UF Cable” aka UG Romex is allowed in the PVC conduit with the outer sheath on it but the conduit fill will be derated because of sheath. If that’s a 3/4” conduit you can install up to #10/3 UF cable in conduit with it’s sheathing on, but it won’t be fun to pull.
It’s best to install flex conduit from panel to box at each end of PVC and pull 4 individual THWN conductors(2 hot’s,Neutral, & ground).
But for a simple installation, nothing wrong with installing 12-2 UF Cable with sheathing from garage panel thru PVC to Shed.

How long should you cook the UF cable in the oven @ 200 degrees, in order to get the insulation soft enough to pull through at least two 90's ? :rolleyes:
Unless you bake it in the sun on a warm day, the 12/2 UF won't be fun to pull either, lol :D # 10/3 --- HOLY SHIT :eek::eek:
BUT, good idea and I hadn't even thought of UF. Think I've used it once in my life and had to get it warm in the desert sun just to uncoil 30' LOL :p