WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Rv roof question

nrbr

Reaction score
Got this 5th wheel that wont seem to sell so I'm going to keep it and store down at the river as a sweet river pad now! I crawled up on the roof to inspect before a possible sale and found this!!! It's not leaking inside and roof feels solid to walk on. Can I scrub it , dry it with a leaf blower (weather permitting) and roll on some tropic cool from home depot ? Like to get about 3 to 5 years out of it. Money is pretty tight right now and the thing doesnt seem to be worth much more then 7k so just looking to get by
20190115_081334.jpg

nrbr

Reaction score
This stuff
Screenshot_20190115-101111_Chrome.jpg

Got this 5th wheel that wont seem to sell so I'm going to keep it and store down at the river as a sweet river pad now! I crawled up on the roof to inspect before a possible sale and found this!!! It's not leaking inside and roof feels solid to walk on. Can I scrub it , dry it with a leaf blower (weather permitting) and roll on some tropic cool from home depot ? Like to get about 3 to 5 years out of it. Money is pretty tight right now and the thing doesnt seem to be worth much more then 7k so just looking to get by View attachment 719259

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Where you located? If your in southern CA, you need to call Russ!
RV roof repair - Russ 909-545-3959

He's done roofs for a bunch of us on RDP, and he is super cheap. Quality is good, not mega-dollar product but for the price you'll get what your looking for. He'll do your roof and detail your rig for around $500. I've used him multiple times. Cant beat it

FYI - my last class C had a neglected roof, looked just like yours. Coating worn off, mold present on surface, dirty but solid. He was able to clean it and coat it, and re-caulk all the seams and vents / openings.

4Waters

Reaction score
They make black streak remover that will clean that pretty good, I use 409 it smells exactly the same as black streak remover and is less money.

mitch6601

HMFIC
Reaction score
Yes tropi cool is the only henry product recommended for RV's.

JJK94

Reaction score
Russ did mine couple months ago. Used the Tropi cool.. 32 around 700 included wash. took around 6 gallons. Learned from the guy that wanted to sell me the 4000 plus option that the white is a coating that is applied to the membrane to tell you that you are down to the membrane and in need of service

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Russ did mine couple months ago. Used the Tropi cool.. 32 around 700 included wash. took around 6 gallons. Learned from the guy that wanted to sell me the 4000 plus option that the white is a coating that is applied to the membrane to tell you that you are down to the membrane and in need of service
The black right?

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
White .. Black can either be mold but most likely the actual membrane .. So all the scrubbing is only going to make it thinner
That's what I mean. The membrane itself is black, once the coating wears off the membrane becomes visible

nrbr

Reaction score
Where you located? If your in southern CA, you need to call Russ!
RV roof repair - Russ 909-545-3959

He's done roofs for a bunch of us on RDP, and he is super cheap. Quality is good, not mega-dollar product but for the price you'll get what your looking for. He'll do your roof and detail your rig for around $500. I've used him multiple times. Cant beat it

FYI - my last class C had a neglected roof, looked just like yours. Coating worn off, mold present on surface, dirty but solid. He was able to clean it and coat it, and re-caulk all the seams and vents / openings.
I am in socal. Thanks for the reference

nrbr

Reaction score
They make black streak remover that will clean that pretty good, I use 409 it smells exactly the same as black streak remover and is less money.
Like a white rag and the 409 to wash the whole roof?

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
2FF to the hotline ! Don’t touch that roof until you’ talked to Steve , 2FF !

4Waters

Reaction score
Like a white rag and the 409 to wash the whole roof?
No brush, I use a small push broom. I use a smaller hand brush for around the vents and a/c units.

LowVoltSD

Reaction score
Perfect timing for this thread! Just hired Russ to come reseal our new to us motorhome roof. He’s coming this Saturday. Thanks for the recommendation! I’ll post some pics of his work once he’s done!

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
My uncle just coated his trailer up here at Naci. His roof membrane was shot and leaked like it wasn't even there. He used GACO. Cleaned the roof with Dawn and a RV brush, let it dry, then coated it. He did 3 coats total (he was a little paranoid). Theing does not leak at all anymore. He did it all himself in 1 day for the cleaning and first coat.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Riverdude

Reaction score
Russ coated the roof on our 32’ 5th wheel a couple of weeks ago. Did a good job for reasonable price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Roof Coating

Reaction score
Whether your RV is new or used, keeping your RV roof in tip-top shape is always crucial. The life of an RV can be enhanced by keeping the roof clean, free of debris and applying a coat of RV Roof Magic. To get the best return on your investment be sure to do regular maintenance. Cleaning the roof semi-annually will help to maintain its durability and longevity.for more details..
https://www.rvroofmagic.com/blog/category/rv-roof-coating/

Mototrig

Reaction score
My $.02 of advice...
I just recently did this before I sold my toy hauler a few weeks ago. You have scrub the roof really well to remove all the dirt otherwise the rubber coating will flake off. I used powder Ajax and pushed it around with a soft car washing wand. It took 1.5 gallons because I applied 3 coats. I used Heng's or you can use Henry's.
View attachment 828433
Screenshot_20191226-050741.png
IMG_20191215_141325.jpg

Last edited:

wzuber

Reaction score
if you want to learn about the correct maintenance or repair of your EPDM roof membrane Search....EPDM roof maintenance or repair. from there you can choose to do it yourself or have it done...it's not that hard to do but the proper proceedure and materials is critical. Lots of videos on youtube that detail how to replace the roofs sub-structure as well. I set up my plaster scaffold to patch/repair and re-coat mine. It made it a breeze. If you have a lot of the black rubber membrane showing as nrbr's pic showed it's highly reccomended to wash and wax the walls prior to cleaning the roof to help prevent black stains on the siding. Also fully masking the exterior from the drip rail down will provide additional stain protection. I used my 3m masking tool and the light wt. 3m plastic roll just as you would when masking for drywall/painting etc. with a clean surface and good tape it performed well in the breeze etc. and kept the side walls from getting dirty when washing the roof and rolling on the roof coating.

Last edited:

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score
I just pay Russ...... hes awesome. And Last time I was on my toy haulers roof I thought my heavy ass was going to fall through the 1/8" plywood lolol

wzuber

Reaction score
I just pay Russ...... hes awesome. And Last time I was on my toy haulers roof I thought my heavy ass was going to fall through the 1/8" plywood lolol
that "plywood" is called Luan. other substraights used are osb.....
and ya...very few rubber roofed RV's r designed to b walked on. Only the section where the railling is for storage etc. and along the edges at the top of the walls. If you have to get out on it use some plywood or other materials to spread the load out.

Last edited: