WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

RV solar enthusiasts, Flex Solar Panels

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
I watch way too many YouTube videos on solar stuff. But anywho, one of my favorite guys is Will Prowse and he recently did some testing on flexible solar panels. He hates 99% of them, because they fail or lose too much efficiency. Recently I noticed he put a flexible panel on his recommendations and added a flex to his golf cart. CIGS flex panel used to run 1000 bucks for 80 watts, but have come down to $259 a panel. Still steep but might be what a lot of RDP ballers want. They are basically giant stickers which a full adhesive built into the back of the panel. No more messy/clumsy gluing flex panels, just peal and stick. Really good performance for a flex etc... Also, targeted for the boating/solar crowd. I would love to stitch these into bimini pockets for my house batteries.

richsolarpanel.jpg

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
I like it if efficient, etc. Too late for me though......I am all set.

I wonder if you can cut those to whatever size you want???? I would think not but if you could that would be fantastic.

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
Biggest reason I won't run any stick on flex type panels is heat. No airflow under the panels transfers all that heat into yore ride

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
Biggest reason I won't run any stick on flex type panels is heat. No airflow under the panels transfers all that heat into yore ride

Yeah all the videos I’ve seen as the panels heat up they become really inefficient. Which is why they leave an air gap on the solid panels.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
I just ran a thread on RV solar and I really love the concept of this. The cost is manageable, the real issue is heat load with them glued down directly. If that is ever solved, I would do this in a heartbeat. I am staying with standard panels.

Maw

Dont re Member
Reaction score
We were thinking of these for the top of the Duffy, maybe even over the bimini on the sportfisher. In both cases we'd float it an inch above the canvas.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
The other drawback is you know they will need replacement some day. Now you have to deal with years old adhesive, getting it off the roofing without further damaging anything.

Backlash

Reaction score
This has been a topic that interests me, but I haven't pulled the trigger on anything solar-related. Our trailer has solar installed, but it's new to us and I haven't explored the installation and/or features just yet. I've pretty much been lurking in the shadows and am trying to learn a little bit more before I start digging in and spending any money.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
I think Will Prowse eventually reversed his endorsement of the CIGS flexible panels. They did better than the white flexible panels but still lost too much efficiency over time to hold up to his metrics.

Backlash

Reaction score
One of the guys I've followed on social media for quite awhile has used both rigid and flexible panels in various installations. One thing that stands out is throughout the years, the rigid panels consistently outperform the flexible panels in every area except "Flexibility." I keep waiting for the manufacturers of flexible panels to improve in the areas of output ratings, durability and longevity.....but who knows if/when that will happen.