WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

RV / Trailer Roof Maintenance

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
So now that I'm committed to this whole RV camping thing for a few years I'm trying to figure out what I really need to do to keep my trailer in good condition. I purchased it used, but well taken care of. It is stored outside uncovered.

This brings up the question of roof maintenance. The trailer is a 2011 Heartland Sundance that was stored covered outside for the first 7 years of it's life. It has a membrane roof with all the standard roof vents, AC unit, etc.

I've read the way to clean it is use basic Dawn dish soap and water with a gentle scrub. But what else should I be looking for to maintain the roof so it does not deteriorate?

Has anybody ever removed and replaced all the silicone around the vents, or is that just a lay new over the old type maintenance thing?

Is there anything else that needs to be done to condition or protect the roof membrane/material?

Thank you in advance for the advice.

TCHB

Reaction score
Yes keep it clean. I have seen older Rvs remove old calking and replace with new. Put some vent covers up on top. TPO roofs are much better than the old rubber roofs. They do make cleaners and conditioners for the roof but not sure it does any better than dawn soap.

Shrub Lurker

Reaction score
I use malco leather and plastic cleaner to clean it and then rinse and let dry. But you can use some mild bleach and water with a rinse. Just look at it (the seams) if they are cracking clean and seal em Only as necessary. Use self leveling lap sealant to reseal. Most use Dicor but I use the Winnebago oem shit. Nuflex 311. Find it on ebay. Apply cold for maximum leveling flow. Keep the rig inside for the first night as dew may crush its groove. Use a good gun or even better a cordless electric. If they are really shitty all over use a plastic blade bondo type spreader to clean off all the old shit and apply new.

Reactions: t&y

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Being around boats, you know the drill. Be careful if using Dawn or other like soaps on a TPO or PVC roof. With the "soot" build up, you'll get a false sense of security, but as it gets cleaner, you may get into ice skating territory. Short step it, and make sure you know where you are on the lid. Always check the sealants where the membrane terminates on the perimeters. The front caps are usually the first to go, and leaks are hidden.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
I used the Protect All rubber roof treatment and protectant on my rig and it held up great over the years stored outside at the river. I usually removed loose caulk before applying new. ProFlex RV is the shiznit.
4D6F113B-B60D-472B-A6D0-46B18A5333DD.png
2467DE04-E514-4795-9970-B600882CF742.png

025CED2F-B213-4AFE-A65E-77BCFBDF7F28.png

EBT531

Reaction score
Make sure you check everything that is connected to the roof. A friend had an RV and did a great job of checking the roof every year but didnt think about where the drip rail connected to the wall slightly lower than the roof. Yup, thats what ended up leaking which of course let water all the way down the wall to the basement storage.

Mikes56

Reaction score
After you get the roof resealed, maybe think about a RV cover. I have one on my 5th wheel toy box. It's a pain in the ass to put on and take off, but it protects the roof against leaks and sun damage.