WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Rv Trip - Where? And What would ya..

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Kids are out of school in a few days and we want to take the Motorhome and do some quick trips for a week or so..

So we were thinking about hitting Prescott.. or?

where are some places to take a motorhome that is fun for the family? Do you stay at the parks for just find a place and camp?

Also I am kinda thinking about buying a little cheap car or keep or something to throw on the trailer and tow behind us so we have some wheels wherever we go..

Anyone selling anything? Or have any leads in anything? Needs to seat five.. preferably six in case I take my mom.

BUSTI

Reaction score
We are heading to Montana when the kids are out. It’s going to be an epic road trip.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I wouldn’t mind just getting in and going. But I really wanted to hit the lower river outboard deal on the 11-13 of June.. otherwise we would go a lot further

azsunfun

Reaction score
old town prescott, up mountain, no boating just quiet

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
For a quick and easy run, hit up Williams. Not real tough to find decent campsites that make you feel like you're really boondocking. Sedona is pretty, but have no idea about finding campsites...and the town is what I call "High Desert Hippy". The geographic scenery though is really amazing though. Camping around Prescott proper, I believe "White Spar"(?) was a good place. Had an inmate stay there for the snow a few months ago. It's 10 minutes from old town, lots of pinion and yellow jack. East side there's Mingus mountain...30 minutes to Jerome by car, but coach ain't happening past the peak, about 30 min to Prescott Valley.

STV_Keith

Reaction score
We just booked a RV spot in Williams at the end of June. Nothing available weekends between now and then that I could find. Gonna ride the train to the Grand Canyon and check out Bearizona.

Meaney77

Reaction score
All great suggestions on places to check out. All kidding aside I would sell your F450 and buy an F-150 to use as a tow vehicle. Ask me how I know.....

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I found some nice places outside Williams last week and will be heading up there soon.

Riley1

Reaction score
I wouldn’t mind just getting in and going. But I really wanted to hit the lower river outboard deal on the 11-13 of June.. otherwise we would go a lot further
Take the RV to Blythe. We are taking ours. Staying at “The Cove”

Water Romper

Reaction score
Head up 395, go to Mammoth, stay at Convict Creek, lots of great sights and things to do, then head to Yosemite, stay there for several days then head through Sacramento, take the coast back home, show your kids the different types of beaches, play in the waves. lots of history along the way.

Last edited:

sirbob

Reaction score
Hit the south west corner of Colorado - Telluride/Ouray etc.

Here is your loop including Utah

13B8A0FF-8B92-46FE-95AA-5E7D5D990A89.png

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
A 1 week turnaround trip from Havasu you could easily hit Grand, Zion, and Bryce Canyons with a pit stop in Vegas on the way home 😬

RCDave

Reaction score
Lots of great suggestions here. Just try to organize and book asap

Sandlord

Reaction score
Camping in the pine trees at Hon-Dah.
Full hookups. Large sites.

81Sprint

Reaction score
Ruby's inn RV campground in Bryce, Canyons RV park in Williams, Spanish Trail RV in Moab. All great spots depending on how far you want to drive. I use Campendium.com for reviews on RV parks and has great info for boondocking spots.

Water Romper

Reaction score
A 1 week turnaround trip from Havasu you could easily hit Grand, Zion, and Bryce Canyons with a pit stop in Vegas on the way home 😬
Bryce and Zion is quite a sight, would be a great trip, lots of interesting things to see along the way, easy drive- North 15 all the way.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Sometime in September /November were heading to Duck Creek if you want to join us. Best trail destinations and dry camping we've found yet. We'll have an extra seat if the passenger likes dogs.

troostr

GOT MILK?
Reaction score
That’s 11 hours away?
Quit yer bitchin! We make the run from here to Parker at least twice a summer. It's not that bad. Besides, when you come out, stop by and I'll give you the grand tour! Your kids will love our place! There's some cool shit for the grownups too. The Caverns aren't bad either.
A Toad is a must with a motorhome if you're staying somewhere, like Williams, Sedona, Pismo, etc. You leave the coach at the campground hooked up and go see the area. WAY easier than running around in the MoHo.

Beerme

Retired...Time for a cold one!
Reaction score
I second this! Just got back from our first time there and I can't wait to go back. Saw several spots to dry camp of 89A and with your side by side, you could ride anywhere in the city. Never saw any full hook-up parks. Your kids would love Slide Rock and the hiking and off-roading is unlimited. Not to mention, not a bad drive for you. Also, if it was soon i'm sure the weather will still be doable for camping.

Badchoices03

Reaction score
@RiverDave you mentioned Prescott, we are actually headed to Point of Rocks campground in Prescott for memorial weekend, although I personally have not been there yet, the friends we are going with have and they love it. You can hike to Watson lake where you can kayak, fish, etc.

Singleton

Reaction score
@RiverDave - While an RV trip sounds fun, unless you planned ahead you selection of parks will be limited and could change how the kids feel about future trips. I would be seeing what has availability ASAP if you want to hit anything in northern AZ, southern Utah, southwest CO. While RV parks are what you make of them, I have stayed in some sketchy places and would never stay in those places if my kids were with me.

we booked our parks to/from Yellowstone & Zion 6 to 9 months in advance and we had limited options and that was pre-Covid.

I would recommend Durango, CO. tons of stuff to do and you could always do thr Durango to Silverton train (If not sold out).

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
We are doing Glacier this summer in the RV. Two weeks up through hells canyon and down through craters of the moon. Still filling in a few days so if anyone has any suggestions for something in Idaho or the western third of Montana, I am all ears.

Dave, figure out what has space you can get in. Base the trip off that instead. Trust me, everything is slammed. As stated above, don't lose the trip by having issues.

Get something you can use as a toad. you need it.

Universal Elements

Reaction score
If you’re going to stay in Campgrounds, don’t bring the trailer to have the car on it. You won’t have space at the site. Flat tow or car dolly. The trailer will have to be put somewhere else. Someone may want to borrow it permanently.

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
Not sure if its to far for you but lots of cool camping around Durango/ Silverton, i have dry camped and done campgrounds, actually liked the campgrounds better

Sandlord

Reaction score
Koa in Williams, the one right off the 40. Go every year for memorial. Don’t see the kids for the 4 days we are there.

We go to the Circle Pines KOA every year as well. And ask for the upper East side. (Farthest from the playground).
We’ve noticed a huge increase of SXS’s and Jeeps.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Quit yer bitchin! We make the run from here to Parker at least twice a summer. It's not that bad. Besides, when you come out, stop by and I'll give you the grand tour! Your kids will love our place! There's some cool shit for the grownups too. The Caverns aren't bad either.
A Toad is a must with a motorhome if you're staying somewhere, like Williams, Sedona, Pismo, etc. You leave the coach at the campground hooked up and go see the area. WAY easier than running around in the MoHo.

I was gonna buy one just for this trip.. I think we are going To throw the RZR on the flat bed and take it with us.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Kids are out of school in a few days and we want to take the Motorhome and do some quick trips for a week or so..

So we were thinking about hitting Prescott.. or?

where are some places to take a motorhome that is fun for the family? Do you stay at the parks for just find a place and camp?

Also I am kinda thinking about buying a little cheap car or keep or something to throw on the trailer and tow behind us so we have some wheels wherever we go..

Anyone selling anything? Or have any leads in anything? Needs to seat five.. preferably six in case I take my mom.

My advice would be southern Utah.

You can flat tow your dually or whatever Stacy is driving. And then have a vehicle to drive around in. No need for trailer.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
So two things.. I’m not interested in going anywhere that are mask nazis.. California is out for now. We don’t have a toad, so we plan on taking the RZR.. also not interested in going anywhere with helmet laws. Lastly hiking isn’t an option for me with my ankle. Short walks I can do, but anything more than a 1/4 mile and I’m gonna be laid up for a day paying for it.

We are ok dry camping but, will need a place to dump the tanks after three days. My family hasn’t quite mastered the conservation of water part yet.. lol

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Being kinda new to this vagabond thing.. are there places to dump tanks and fill with water etc??

2Driver

Reaction score
Being kinda new to this vagabond thing.. are there places to dump tanks and fill with water etc??

Like anything else there are a few RV websites that map rv dump stations and water. We used them when we had our trailer. I always called first to double check.