WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

RV Wax

Icky

Reaction score
I have my new to me genesis 2016 40cr and I want to keep it looking new so what are you guys using for wax. Searching the web I've come up with all sorts of advice 303 protectant, 3m , nufinish, 3d poxy etc. This thing is going to spend most of its life uncovered at the house or in Parker and I'd like to protect it from the sun somehow.

I looked into ceramic but I'm too cheap to pay $80 a ft like I saw on here somewhere and not have guaranteed results. Glide coat was $900 in materials to do it myself🤯

Ricks raft

Reaction score
Wax it with a quality brand wax. If a carport is not an option put $3-400 cloth cover over it. Even the cheap ones will last several years. The cover will deteriorate instead of your rev.

HitIt

Reaction score
I just bought a new fifth wheel, too, and am looking into wax/protectant options. I know that you have to be careful with the decals that are in the camper. Most petroleum based products will attack the adhesive and also cause them to fade/crack.

I am using the new Turtle Wax (yeah, I know but this one is well reviewed) Hybrid wax on my truck and love it. It is a synthetic spray wax with ceramic. I am going to see if it works for the camper, too.

Anyway, I am going to be following this thread. I will post my solution and reasoning for using it once I get it figured out. Generally, I am looking for a synthetic spray wax with ceramic that doesn't attack the graphics.

HitIt

Reaction score
I just spoke with a rep from Meguiars who seemed really knowledgeable. He said that for a new gelcoat/vinyl sticker RV, he would recommend:

this wax:

and this for touch ups:

He said that the spray could be used on its own but wouldn't work quite as well as if it had a base coat of the real wax. He also said that nothing that they offer would really protect the vinyl decals but confirmed that the products above wont attack the vinyl or adhesive either. He recommended an actual ceramic coating of the decals.

He also said to not use a wash with a wax in it since it would minimize the effects of the hybrid wax. He recommended this:

I think most of this advice would be applicable to any of the major brands new hybrid wax systems. I have the question out to Turtle Wax right now and am waiting for the reply.

LazyLavey

Reaction score
I've used Meguiars flagship Marine on the boat and rv for many years,,, works well, no complaints

After having the boat ceramic coated (about a year ago) I started using Clutch on the RV and boat .... The hydrophobic quality is amazing and long lasting and enhances the color significantly and super easy to use, especially on the RV. A little goes a long way, It's almost as easy as applying a detail spray

It works well over ceramic or as a stand alone coating

Icky

Reaction score
Has anyone used wash wax all? Seems to have good reviews, of course I would actually wash it first instead of waterless washing

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
I use meguire rv/boat cleaner wax. I wash my trailer first. Then wax it. It’s a PITA but still looks great

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Meguiars #9 swirl remover followed by Meguiars #20 polymer Teflon is a long time solid polish/wax combo

P&S Beadmaker is a great spray wax for in between polish/ wax jobs

Philipclope

Reaction score
I’ve never been disappointed with a Meguiars product. After rinsing and drying surfaces, applying this product on marine and recreational vehicle exteriors eliminates unclean elements that might still be latching onto surfaces.

Last edited:

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Ceramic coat, 8 years. Why bother with anything else to protect such a large investment?

Me in the black section of my rig after correction and ceramic coating. Took them 4 days to do it.
AFD8A8D3-B9CF-4FCA-A477-F0C645A70EE2.jpeg

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
That shit is expensive and not everyone has a wife in the real estate biz o_O
So people will spend close to or more than 6 figures on a toy hauler but won’t spend $2500 to protect it for 8 years. Makes sense.

robby dmax

Reaction score
I've used Meguiars flagship Marine on the boat and rv for many years,,, works well, no complaints

After having the boat ceramic coated (about a year ago) I started using Clutch on the RV and boat .... The hydrophobic quality is amazing and long lasting and enhances the color significantly and super easy to use, especially on the RV. A little goes a long way, It's almost as easy as applying a detail spray

It works well over ceramic or as a stand alone coating

Shine supply has pretty awesome stuff.. I have also had good luck with shine supply “Daddy-o sealant.
Easy on and easy off!!

Icky

Reaction score
I'm about to have the trailer recaulked, and I'm worried about the ceramic being removed with the chemicals they use for clean up and caulking adhesion.

I wouldn't mind spending the money on ceramic if I knew it was actually going to last 5-8 years.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
I'm about to have the trailer recaulked, and I'm worried about the ceramic being removed with the chemicals they use for clean up and caulking adhesion.

I wouldn't mind spending the money on ceramic if I knew it was actually going to last 5-8 years.
Garaged it could, doubtful stored outdoors.
I polish/ wax my $34k toy hauler twice a year at $320 a pop. Not painted so less to screw up, but stays in very good shape for being outdoors. Ceramic wouldn’t last over two seasons on mine, so I’m ahead.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
800548D2-9CEC-424B-9466-83DA9E4CE091.jpeg

Main factor is if it is stored outdoors. and is painted or gel coat.
buddy just picked this up in Phoenix. 17’, 12k miles, stored under metal awning, driver side got afternoon sun.
Every sticker is cracked on driver side, was waxed twice a year. no ceramic coating will stop that on outside storage.
I don’t know how anyone can store a newer RV in AZ outdoors, that sunlight/ heat combo is brutal.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
So people will spend close to or more than 6 figures on a toy hauler but won’t spend $2500 to protect it for 8 years. Makes sense.
I’m hearing that 8yrs is more like 3-4yrs and you have to do yearly touch ups at $400-500.

if it’s really $2500 and you forget about it for 8yrs sign me up

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Garaged it could, doubtful stored outdoors.
I polish/ wax my $34k toy hauler twice a year at $320 a pop. Not painted so less to screw up, but stays in very good shape for being outdoors. Ceramic wouldn’t last over two seasons on mine, so I’m ahead.
Wait what? Ceramic won’t last outdoors? It has to be garaged?
Well if it was garaged why would I need anything more than a normal wax lol.

im missing something right?

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Wait what? Ceramic won’t last outdoors? It has to be garaged?
Well if it was garaged why would I need anything more than a normal wax lol.

im missing something right?
On gel coat / vinyl non painted toy haulers like yours and mine, the ceramic is a waste of time.
Full paint RV’s fair better but gel coat middle class toy haukers? Talk to most detailers and the honest ones will tell you wax will do as good on gel coat trailers as long as you keep up on it.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
I have my new to me genesis 2016 40cr and I want to keep it looking new so what are you guys using for wax. Searching the web I've come up with all sorts of advice 303 protectant, 3m , nufinish, 3d poxy etc. This thing is going to spend most of its life uncovered at the house or in Parker and I'd like to protect it from the sun somehow.

I looked into ceramic but I'm too cheap to pay $80 a ft like I saw on here somewhere and not have guaranteed results. Glide coat was $900 in materials to do it myself🤯

I think your only chance storing it outdoors in Parker during the summer is to put a cover on it to stop the UV Rays and Surface Heat Damage.