WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

RZR belt

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
How often are you changing belts on your RZR? What brand are you using? Any thoughts on Hunterworks belts?

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I use the Gates c12 belts. Very satisfied so far. I have not burned one up yet, but changed it as a precaution after my secondary clutch bolt broke.

I think there are enough good options out there you don’t need to pay a premium for the Polaris OEM belt. I’d feel confident with the HW belt too.

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
500 miles on the factory belt. I have a new one on the way. Think I'll put the new ( Hunter ) on and carry the old as the spare.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
I was going thru gates belts every 150 miles before I aligned and rebuilt my clutch. Running OEM Belts now, they are a bit thicker so I think that’s why they last longer, and that means less Belt changes :D. Heard good things about the HW Belts plus they have a 1 year warranty.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I was going thru gates belts every 150 miles before I aligned and rebuilt my clutch. Running OEM Belts now, they are a bit thicker so I think that’s why they last longer, and that means less Belt changes :D. Heard good things about the HW Belts plus they have a 1 year warranty.

Yea I’m interested to see how long the Gates lasts. I think I have close to 300 miles on this one in there now.

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
There is a good article on the Hunter web site about thick vs: thin belts
https://www.hunterworks.com/belt_dimensions

part of it...........
Just to make the decision on which of the two belts you should buy for your XP 1000/1000S simply consider this. The Thick one will be the belt of choice for slower high load people and the STD will be for anyone who runs wide open or in the desert/dune to aid in cooling. We do not suggest you do any high speed or top speed riding with the Thick, can create too much heat and cause issues. For all other machines other than the XP 1000/1000S the standard dimension belt is not standard to you and is thicker than yours so it will be considered HD for you and no matter what it will hold up better than your OEM.

To be able to run any belt by anyone at top speeds I highly suggest you read this

Why you are blowing belts at high speed

jetur

Reaction score
This is crazy but my turbo rzr has 1200 miles on the stock belt. If you do the proper breakin and roll in and out of power they last a long time. If you go to stabn the throttle its doneski. My in car spare is a Gates.

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
Hunterworks belt is still fairly new. Only issues I've seen with them breaking are guys who have mods on their ride. HW will not warranty any belt with any type of mod and that includes larger tires.
I keep my oem polaris belt as a spare and use gates.
If HW or polaris belt breaks it can make a mess with all the strings and possibly take out your primary seal.
The gates breaks in pieces

Taboma

Reaction score
Have no idea since on my 15' Rzr 900S EPS, after three fuel pumps failed, left us stranded :mad::mad: and were replaced under warranty I got rid of the POS :)
The good news, from what I was told the XP 1000 uses a different pump.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
This is crazy but my turbo rzr has 1200 miles on the stock belt. If you do the proper breakin and roll in and out of power they last a long time. If you go to stabn the throttle its doneski. My in car spare is a Gates.

Can’t stress that enough.
Take it easy for the first half hour.
Makes all the difference if you have a healthy stock clutch.

One belt doesn’t last as long but is easy clean up when it grenades. One lasts longer but it a MFSOB melted, shredded mess when it grenades. Bring needle nose pliers in your kit.
I forget if it’s the OEM or the aftermarket that does what and I got it wrong once.
Maybe someone remembers.

Reactions: DWC

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Hunterworks belt is still fairly new. Only issues I've seen with them breaking are guys who have mods on their ride. HW will not warranty any belt with any type of mod and that includes larger tires.
I keep my oem polaris belt as a spare and use gates.
If HW or polaris belt breaks it can make a mess with all the strings and possibly take out your primary seal.
The gates breaks in pieces
That is absolutely correct and we see it over and over.

thmterry

Reaction score
My original belt went 3400 miles and still looked good. I have the thick Hunter works belt on now and at 1st I really liked it, the off the line response was way better. After a few rides it is really jerky on starts. My rides are 50/50 on high speed and technical. I will go back to an OEM belt next time.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
My original belt went 3400 miles and still looked good. I have the thick Hunter works belt on now and at 1st I really liked it, the off the line response was way better. After a few rides it is really jerky on starts. My rides are 50/50 on high speed and technical. I will go back to an OEM belt next time.

Have you serviced your primary clutch? Mine was getting jerky on starts and the clutch internals were worn. This was with an OEM belt.

Butter smooth with the same belt after going through the clutches.

Just a thought.

Last edited:

Havaduner

Never home on weekends
Reaction score
Have no idea since on my 15' Rzr 900S EPS, after three fuel pumps failed, left us stranded :mad::mad: and were replaced under warranty I got rid of the POS :)
The good news, from what I was told the XP 1000 uses a different pump.

Didn't you get the Textron Wildcat XX? If so, how are you liking it?

thmterry

Reaction score
Have you serviced your primary clutch? Mine was getting jerky on starts and the clutch internals were worn. This was with an OEM belt.

Butter smooth with the same belt after going through the clutches.

Just a thought.
I clean and inspect my clutches after every couple rides and installed the HW rollers. I am do to check it again and will report if I find anything.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I clean and inspect my clutches after every couple rides and installed the HW rollers. I am do to check it again and will report if I find anything.

Sounds like you are on it! I did the HW rollers on a fresh secondary as well. Those square block sliders suck.

I have an SLP clutch kit I'm going to put in next week as well.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Just curious how much these belts cost? Is there a huge disparity between OEM and aftermarket?

Taboma

Reaction score
Didn't you get the Textron Wildcat XX? If so, how are you liking it?

So far so good !! But I must confess I've spent more time installing a few accessories and re-aligning the wheel chocks on the trailer (Because it's heavier) than we have putting miles on it.
The other problem, one that makes me a little sad is this. We've used our previous Ranger, then later the Rzr for exploring the mountains around our modest ranch property. For ten years we explored with the ole reliable Ranger 700 and not once did it fail use. We grew confident, perhaps over confident. Initially the Rzr was a huge hoot, we could go faster and further in more comfort, so we did, it was awesome. :)
The first fuel pump failure and stranding was a real wake up call, something I couldn't have been prepared for. It had a happy ending, but could have ended badly, we got lucky, real lucky. Regardless, it scared me.
The pump was replaced, but our confidence was certainly shaken. Restoring confidence, thankfully I was keeping our rides much closer to the ranch. The day the fuel pump failed for the 2nd time after only 100 miles, that voice in my head had nagged me into taking a main road back, not the short-cut through a wilderness canyon that we'd taken a hundred times.
Neighbor happened by on the main road and towed us back. Would have been a long fuckin hike out otherwise. Real lucky TWO times !!

Wife refused to ever ride in the Rzr again, I agreed. Almost bought a new XP 1000, but it was still a Polaris. Really liked the Can Am RC, but for our use I needed better forward visibility, so went with the Wildcat XX. I really like it so far, it's faster than we need, but fun and sure rides nice even with stock components.
I'm afraid restoring our sense of confidence (perhaps false) is going to take a long time, if ever, to heal. That horse we're supposed to remount, is now extension ladder high.

Funny, my wife and I have been married for 36 years, we've owned a lot of small and large boats and rented many others during our travels. We've explored a volcanic island off the coast of Maui in a rented 14' Zodiac and fought an angry ocean returning to port. We've paddled outrigger canoes against the tides to motu islands in Tahiti.
Long ago used to regularly run our 19' Reinell from San Diego to Catalina Island with a compass between my legs.
Not once during any of our many adventures did I ever feel the nagging lack of confidence I'm unable to shake now. So it's baby steps until I figure out if this Wildcat will be used for anything other than a glorified golf cart for visiting the neighbors --- it makes me sad to consider it :(:(

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Just curious how much these belts cost? Is there a huge disparity between OEM and aftermarket?

The OEM vs aftermarket belt thing is like a religious debate. People but them on and they go 100 miles, and other put them on and go thousands of miles.

Certainly some belt MFG is making them for Polaris, and it is not rocket science. That said they are certainly not all created equal. However, I figure if a $80 Gates lasts at least half of the mileage an OEM belt does, I'm ahead of the game.

Hunterworks is $124 shipped.........not the cheapest

Gates is about $80, Polaris OEM is about $180 (but MFG approved).

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
Yea I’m interested to see how long the Gates lasts. I think I have close to 300 miles on this one in there now.

When my XP1K4 was New I got 1250 miles out of the OEM Belt. Then the next OEM Belt blew around 600 miles. I then switched to Gates Belts.

I rebuilt the clutch @3,000 miles and continued using Gates Belts. The longest one lasted around 550 miles. I have a friend with a 2 Seat XP1000 that got 700 miles on a Gates.

There actually good Belts. You can send Gates you toasted Belts up to 1 year after purchase. Just have to send them a check for $15 return shipping. I’ve done this several times and about 2 weeks later Brown Santa shows up with new belts :D

HB2Havasu

Reaction score

After rebuilding 2 clutches and also installing 1 new clutch over 7,000 miles I’ve learned that you should clean them out after every ride regardless. The dirt/sand just chews these things up!

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
When my XP1K4 was New I got 1250 miles out of the OEM Belt. Then the next OEM Belt blew around 600 miles. I then switched to Gates Belts.

I rebuilt the clutch @3,000 miles and continued using Gates Belts. The longest one lasted around 550 miles. I have a friend with a 2 Seat XP1000 that got 700 miles on a Gates.

There actually good Belts. You can send Gates you toasted Belts up to 1 year after purchase. Just have to send them a check for $15 return shipping. I’ve done this several times and about 2 weeks later Brown Santa shows up with new belts :D

That is worth it right there... but I'll see how this goes.

Do you have a CVT fan or anything? How long was your clutch misaligned? That is hard on belts for sure.

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
my 1000 xp has about 500 miles on it. I'm taking my grandson for a 40 mile ride today and the new belt gets here tomorrow. wish me luck

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
my 1000 xp has about 500 miles on it. I'm taking my grandson for a 40 mile ride today and the new belt gets here tomorrow. wish me luck

Youre the only car? If you’re in Parker you can take my spare belt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
That is worth it right there... but I'll see how this goes.

Do you have a CVT fan or anything? How long was your clutch misaligned? That is hard on belts for sure.

I think it’s been misaligned for a while. It started really eating Belts around the 5000 mile mark. That’s when I was changing belts every 100-150 miles. FYI - I now will only run OEM Belts. Even though they are 2X more money, they last a lot longer. And when your riding a big bowl in Glamis the pucker factor kicks in when you know that $80 belt can disintegrate at any moment, lol.

My next upgrade will be to add the Alba In-Line Fan and Thermostate and also add a Filter to keep 99% of the dirt out of the clutch housing. Replacing clutches every 2000 miles is killing my buzz!

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
Youre the only car? If you’re in Parker you can take my spare belt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Meeting a buddy out there, but he has a yamaha..........southern utah Thanks

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score

No If you go by specific part numbers.
My Can Am RS the good 2018 belts are $160 from after market Gates . Dealer asks almost $200 for the OEM.

I change the belt and do my own oil change oil every 1000 miles.
Dealer oil change is $900. That’s supposed to include all fluids and wiping off the steering wheel. No new belt.
Yamaha YXZ basic fluid service is $1000.

Belt change is 10 minutes. Skinner has it down to 4 minutes and he’s a thread all his own, oil and filter change is 10 minutes.

Last edited:

DaveH

Reaction score
are you guys running temp gauges on the belt?

the laser temp gauges are worth every penny. had a buddy going through belts, put this gauge on and you can see after a hard run the belt heating up.....

after putting the gauge on and backing off a little to cool the belt, the belt life went up dramatically.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
No If you go by specific part numbers.
My Can Am RS the good 2018 belts are $160 from after market Gates . Dealer asks almost $200 for the OEM.

I change the belt and the oil every 1000 miles.
Dealer oil change is $900. That’s supposed to include all fluids and wiping off the steering wheel. No new belt.
Yamaha YXZ basic fluid service is $1000.

Belt change is 10 minutes. Skinner has it down to 4 minutes and he’s a thread all his own, oil and filter change is 10 minutes.

Good god what a racket.

Reactions: TPC

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
First I got a load of the prices was at the LHC CC SXS poker run. Word burned through camp AZ West wanted $850 and no one in camp believed it.
Turns out that was cheap.

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
I just did an oil change on my friend's xp41k.
Literally took me 10 minutes.
I told him it was $30 for the oil and filter.
He gave me $50 and a 30 pack
I need to tell him he still owes me $950 lol

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Yes, I have the 1st gen Razorback. It doesn't have any of the fancy lights but I hear guys are covering up the lights since they're too bright at night
I also added a 4" bilge blower to the clutch ducting. I have yet to see over 175* on my belt.
There is also some competition coming for the RB.
This one has more features and dimmable lights. It's just going through the legal process before it's available to the public
https://www.maverickforums.net/foru...infrared-belt-temp-battery-voltage-gauge.html

That AIM gauge looks nice! I was eyeing the Alba infrared unit, but that looks promising.

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
That AIM gauge looks nice! I was eyeing the Alba infrared unit, but that looks promising.
Alba only makes an ambient temp gauge. There were a couple sites that advertised their infrared gauge but they were soon taken down and Nate won't comment on it.
The can ammers are waiting for the new Aim gauge so I would bet you'll see a lot of used razorbacks.
RB "borrowed" one of the members ideas on a roll cage mount so there are many ticked off members ready to ditch the RB

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
just got back from the ride..didn't blow a belt but buried it in a snow bank
20190329_131313.jpg
20190329_133021.jpg

20190329_131313.jpg

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
I have 1300 miles on my rzr with a stock belt. Still going strong. I drive this thing hard sometimes, other times I am in cruise mode. This is a stock machine and stock clutch but with 30’s on it.

Compared to my commander this is a blessing. I had to replace belts every 50-100 miles when we went to Glamis. And in the commander it’s a 4 hour job (motor is in the middle like a rhino). Once I put the belt temp gauge in and fan (we stopped going to Glamis then) I put another 1500 miles on a single belt riding in the havasu area.

My belt temps in the commander were 180-260 depending on how hot it was outside and where I was riding.

Glamis belt temps were 250+

I want to put a belt temp gauge in the rzr but not sure which one to go with. I had the Alba before and it worked well.

Mike K

Reaction score
I have about 1700 miles on mine ... so I thought I had to change it ... ordered a $200 Polaris belt and opened it up. The old belt was still really good and it looked barely worn ... I put the new one on anyway and kept the old one as a spare.

crzy2bealive

Reaction score
1200 miles on stock belt.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

lbhsbz

Reaction score
I can't believe this. Folks spend 30K on these pieces of shit and they have parts that don't live for 500 miles in some cases?

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I can't believe this. Folks spend 30K on these pieces of shit and they have parts that don't live for 500 miles in some cases?

Keep in mind the belt is a wear item. You can smoke a belt in 10 mins if you are doing dumb crap.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Keep in mind the belt is a wear item. You can smoke a belt in 10 mins if you are doing dumb crap.
A SxS is designed strictly for one do "dumb crap". They should have designed it better.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
A SxS is designed strictly for one do "dumb crap". They should have designed it better.

Most people don’t have much trouble with them. It is literally 10 mins to swap a belt on a RZR. You’ll probably have to wait longer than that for things to cool off so you can do the job.

The Glamis guys go through them because they run around pinned all day in sand. If you don’t keep your clutches maintained, you’ll go through them too. You also want to break them in a bit before you get on it hard.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I just changed the belt once a year when the car got serviced. I always run OEM belts, and have been told by many that they are more reliable than the aftermarket ones.

RD

Boat 405

Reaction score
Folks have done far more with far less than a rzr. Fuckers can destroy just about anything in no time given enough stupidity.