WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

RZR CA Street Legal?

Englewood

Reaction score
Based on the section of the vehicle code below, wouldn't an Arizona resident be able to drive on CA roads as long as it is plated in AZ?

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/...division=3.&title=&part=&chapter=4.&article=1.

(b) A nonresident owner of a vehicle, otherwise exempt from registration pursuant to this section or Section 6700.2, may operate or permit operation of the vehicle in this state without registering the vehicle in this state if the vehicle is registered in the place of residence of the owner and displays upon it valid license plates issued by that place. This exemption does not apply if the nonresident owner rents, leases, lends, or otherwise furnishes the vehicle to a California resident for regular use on the highways of this state, as defined in subdivision (b) of Section 4000.4.

Tank

Reaction score
No, because it needs to meet California regulations. Just like if you have tinted windows and no front plate in on an Arizona plated vehicle and drive into California, you can still be cited for the tinted windows. Or, like some seem to try at times - Your license gets suspended in Ca. so you go to Az to get a driver's license. You're still suspended in Ca and can be cited towed. California laws trump any out of state laws while you're in Ca.

Trust me, I'd be the first to do this!! :D

You still see people doing it and they may get away with it for a while. But eventually a cop that knows better (like CHP) is going to stop them and cite them and impound the vehicle.

TOBTEK

Reaction score
Was just up in Redding, Ca. Dude pulled into a Starbucks with a Tatum sandcar, full Alum bodied car, AZ plates.

Was RAD. Sign me up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Orange Juice

Reaction score
No, because it needs to meet California regulations. Just like if you have tinted windows and no front plate in on an Arizona plated vehicle and drive into California, you can still be cited for the tinted windows. Or, like some seem to try at times - Your license gets suspended in Ca. so you go to Az to get a driver's license. You're still suspended in Ca and can be cited towed. California laws trump any out of state laws while you're in Ca.

You still see people doing it and they may get away with it for a while. But eventually a cop that knows better (like CHP) is going to stop them and cite them and impound the vehicle.

California has some interesting laws/codes.

All it takes is for one attorney whom has a doctor that thinks an emotional support UTV is needed.

EBT531

Reaction score

You 100% on that? I'm not from CA, but our State won't let us enforce tint etc. if the registered plate allows it. Otherwise you could never legally drive from State to State.

Tank

Reaction score
You 100% on that? I'm not from CA, but our State won't let us enforce tint etc. if the registered plate allows it. Otherwise you could never legally drive from State to State.
100% sure on that.

(a) (2) A person shall not drive any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied in or upon the vehicle that obstructs or reduces the driver’s clear view through the windshield or side windows.

Says nothing about where that vehicle is registered. When in California you are required to follow California law.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Most questions answered here:

https://ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=27288

As far as street legality:
Vehicles designed for highway use can cross state lines. These vehicles simply with FMVSS & emission laws that apply to highway vehicles.

SxS’s are not intended for highway use, even though some states may register them as street-legal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Keep in mind rzrs are registered as motorcycles in AZ

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
100% sure on that.

(a) (2) A person shall not drive any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied in or upon the vehicle that obstructs or reduces the driver’s clear view through the windshield or side windows.

Says nothing about where that vehicle is registered. When in California you are required to follow California law.

Seems like that would infringe on the 4th amendment a bit if the vehicle meets requirements in the state is was registered in? (Referring to actual cars / trucks)

RD

pronstar

Reaction score
CA says if it has 4 wheels, it is not a motorcycle.

Same with the Feds.

That’s why we have three-wheeled “motorcycles” like the Polaris Slingshot that aren’t required to meet the same standards as cars.

pronstar

Reaction score
Seems like that would infringe on the 4th amendment a bit if the vehicle meets requirements in the state is was registered in? (Referring to actual cars / trucks)

RD

It was never intended by the MFR to be a car, was never validated by any entity to meet car standards. That’s the difference.

Actual vehicles are fine, with some exceptions like towing triple trailers.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
It was never intended by the MFR to be a car, was never validated by any entity to meet car standards. That’s the difference.

Actual vehicles are fine, with some exceptions like towing triple trailers.

Dave is referring to something like tinted windows. Might be legal in one state and not legal in another, and you get a ticket for it in the state you are not a resident of. Tough luck, you still broke that state's law.

Laws vary from state to state. If you are an AZ resident with a gun and don't lock your gun in a locked container, while you parked your car in CA, you are still breaking CA law.

Last edited:

W.O.T

Reaction score
I found an answer to this problem.
I am just waiting on my title and I plan to plate my YZ450 dirt bike.
They also do UTV's

WWW.StreetOHV.COM

Tank

Reaction score

RD

Not really. You are responsible to abide by the states laws you are currently in regardless of residency. By your reasoning, a driver from Germany could drive 100mph on the freeway because that's the way the autobahn is in the part of Germany they're from (this literally happens by the way). Or the age of consent in many states is 16 but in Ca. it is 18. So if you're visiting from a state that has an age consent of 16 does not mean you can have sex with a 16 y/o in Ca. because the age of consent is 18 in Ca. There's a statement that gets repeated time and time again in court..."ignorance is not a defense".

And frankly, I'm not really defending the way the law works or saying it's right or wrong. I'm just advising of the way the law does in fact work to answer the original posters question and follow up clarification.

If someone wants to roll the dice with bringing an Az plated SXS to Ca. and people can have tinted window, speed, run stop signs etc etc....go for it. I'm just explaining the facts of the law and what could potentially happen.

But while we're speaking of tinted windows - tinted windows in Ca was so prolific that the law was changed from a straight correctable offense to a correctable offense or a straight fine of $77.00. Meaning you can be cited to get it corrected, have the cite signed off after you remove the tint, or you can be cited the straight fine and you don't have to remove the tint. Officers choice. Neither are moving violations.

Tank

Reaction score
They also do UTV's

WWW.StreetOHV.COM

Neither here nor there, more power to anyone that wants to roll the dice getting a vehicle plated that isn't legal on the roads in Ca. But I'd be wary of these types of services. If they're saying they can plate you out of state, it's still not legal. If they're saying they have a connection to get you plated in Ca. to a vehicle that is not legally allowed on the road, all it takes is for a traffic cop to know what he's doing to impound your vehicle, even with a ca plate. Then you're out your ride, you have to go to court, where the traffic cop is going to bring up a long list of laws, and information on how the vehicle you were riding / driving is not Ca. legal and then the judge may or may not fine you and / or release your vehicle but will indeed snatch your plates. Seen it happen. I speak from experience.

I'm not trying to be Debbie downer here. Like I said, more power to all you guys. Just make sure you are fully educated on what you're doing and be prepared to get stopped, cited and impounded.

Or get a Manx, or a dune buggy, or enduro or some other fun, yet street legal veh.

If there was any way possible of legally plating a SXS in Ca. I'd be the first one at the DMV with my brand new Can-Am getting a plate. I love those things and would use the SHIT out of it on the streets where I live.

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
If you pulled a Rzr / UTV onto any paved road in Ca , within minutes you’d be lit up , contacted , tazed , shot dead , written for numerous Ca vehicle code infractions , thrown in jail , fined and your UTV would be confiscated and sold at police auction !

RVRKID

Reaction score
A guy in Upland/Rancho area that owns a SXS shop has his RZR plated and drives around town, thru drive thrus and has a pic with the cops standing next to it.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
You can try all the trickery in the world, a rzr will never be on the cali side of the river legally on the road. Roll up and down it a few times.

X2
Been there, know the response from
SBSO and CHP , lol

LowRiver2

Reaction score
A guy in Upland/Rancho area that owns a SXS shop has his RZR plated and drives around town, thru drive thrus and has a pic with the cops standing next to it.

DMV used to have employees who would get plates for anything for a price
Those days are gone

I know a shop in the IE that tests its sxs’s all day long and the PD looks the other way
1. Industrial area, cars Aren’t driven stupid
2. Most of the agency’s cops get their sxs’s serviced there

exceptions to everything

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
They also do UTV's

WWW.StreetOHV.COM

Interested to see what "out of state plate" they get you, and what that even means. My guess is that some county in some state lets them register a SXS as a "car"

Even if you get that solved, there is still an insurance quagmire. Try getting CA road insurance for your SXS.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
If you pulled a Rzr / UTV onto any paved road in Ca , within minutes you’d be lit up , contacted , tazed , shot dead , written for numerous Ca vehicle code infractions , thrown in jail , fined and your UTV would be confiscated and sold at police auction !

Lol
Depends on agency
There’s a guy in TO that drives a Maverick around with no issues there.
Would not be the same if he came to LA

If someone wanted to drive an off road car on a road that bad,
Buy a pad in Havasu or get a used dejong or Manx body mid travel for a little bit more than a stout built sxs

dribble

Reaction score

RD
I believe that section refers to the driver being able to see out of the vehicle, not LE seeing in, but even so, unless your car is in your garage with the door closed, there is no expectation of privacy. In my opinion, the original section quoted in this thread allows that street legal Razor to be operated here. That is until a court decides otherwise.

FlyByWire

I just work here
Reaction score

Truth!
IMG_8375.jpg

stoker

Reaction score
Years ago I was able to get a Ca plate for my Rhino. Used to drive it around Costa Mesa and Newport all the time without getting hassled by the cops. Matter of fact I got a couple thumbs up from them. I ended up not renewing it because I couldn’t find insurance for less than a grand a year.

Tank

Reaction score
In my opinion, the original section quoted in this thread allows that street legal Razor to be operated here.

until you read the next paragraph of the section on question which states:

(b) A nonresident owner of a vehicle, otherwise exempt from registration pursuant to this section or Section 6700.2,

then you go to section 6700.2 sub section (b) to find this:

(b) The exception to registration of a motor vehicle under the conditions specified in this section does not supersede any other exception to registration under other conditions provided by law.

a SXS is not DOT certified and not legal to register on streets in Ca. That would be the “other conditions provided by law” they’re referring to above.

And by the way, section 6700 CVC that the OP is referring to is specifically addressing daily or weekly commuters that live in other states but drive into California for work (like you love in havasu and work in needles. Per California vehicle code if your vehicle is driven in ca 6 months and one day you need to register it in California. Now if you work in ca 5 days a week but live in a different state your car is obviously in the state more than it’s in your home state. So what this section (6700cvc) is saying is that those people are exempt from the 6 mo and 1 day law but the vehicle STILL needs to be a ca legal vehicle. Sorry to say, a SXS is not. And yea, people get away with it at times. But like I said, you’re rollin the dice. Not worth it for me. I’ll just keep my plated golf cart and call it a day even though I’d love to have a SXS to drive legally on the streets.

and again, don’t kill the messenger. This type of thing is what’s wrong with the internet. No offense to @ParkerMagic he was just asking a question but I’d hate to see some RDP’r to be like, “well, I saw that vehicle section and it said I was fine so I’m gonna do it!” And then a couple months later they have a crazy expensive ticket, their SXS is impounded and now they need to plead their case and hope for the best at the courts.

Last edited:

MisplacedSooner

Reaction score
I’m with Tank, I wouldn’t even chance it, not worth the money or hassle. In Kansas they are leaving it up to cities and counties. I drive mine in town some but a lot on county gravel roads and never been hassled but I treat it like I’m driving a truck. But the bottom line in KS is you can’t get a plate for it or register it as a on road vehicle.

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
It's actually pretty simple.
Got a 2019 RZR?
Comply with 2019 California (or Federal) emissions.
And crumple zones.
And air bags.
And side curtain airbags.
DOT tires.
DOT wheels.
DOT safety glass. Need a defrost unit now.
DOT lightning. Headlights too.
Got fenders? You'll need them. It's not a 32 Ford.
Front and rear bumpers?
Shall I go on?

I have a '79 Jeep CJ 7. No top or doors. L79, 327 power. I'm not saying it's safer.

Probably not.

But it is street legal. And I don't have half of the things listed above.

That's all I got.

Dan'l

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Not really. You are responsible to abide by the states laws you are currently in regardless of residency. By your reasoning, a driver from Germany could drive 100mph on the freeway because that's the way the autobahn is in the part of Germany they're from (this literally happens by the way). Or the age of consent in many states is 16 but in Ca. it is 18. So if you're visiting from a state that has an age consent of 16 does not mean you can have sex with a 16 y/o in Ca. because the age of consent is 18 in Ca. There's a statement that gets repeated time and time again in court..."ignorance is not a defense".

And frankly, I'm not really defending the way the law works or saying it's right or wrong. I'm just advising of the way the law does in fact work to answer the original posters question and follow up clarification.

If someone wants to roll the dice with bringing an Az plated SXS to Ca. and people can have tinted window, speed, run stop signs etc etc....go for it. I'm just explaining the facts of the law and what could potentially happen.

But while we're speaking of tinted windows - tinted windows in Ca was so prolific that the law was changed from a straight correctable offense to a correctable offense or a straight fine of $77.00. Meaning you can be cited to get it corrected, have the cite signed off after you remove the tint, or you can be cited the straight fine and you don't have to remove the tint. Officers choice. Neither are moving violations.

Wasnt award Germany was part of the “UNION”. (Key word).. ;)

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
It's actually pretty simple.
Got a 2019 RZR?
Comply with 2019 California (or Federal) emissions.
And crumple zones.
And air bags.
And side curtain airbags.
DOT tires.
DOT wheels.
DOT safety glass. Need a defrost unit now.
DOT lightning. Headlights too.
Got fenders? You'll need them. It's not a 32 Ford.
Front and rear bumpers?
Shall I go on?

I have a '79 Jeep CJ 7. No top or doors. L79, 327 power. I'm not saying it's safer.

Probably not.

But it is street legal. And I don't have half of the things listed above.

That's all I got.

Dan'l
You need all of that in az but it’s motorcycle in az so a lot of that isn’t needed

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
I'm surprised the VIN doesn't have a "off-road only" number that makes sure that side by sides can never get street legal in CA. Motorcycles do.

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
You need all of that in az but it’s motorcycle in az so a lot of that isn’t needed

And the thread is about RZR street legal in CALIFORNIA. Did you miss that part?

Have you tried getting on I40? I'm just curious why, the only sxs's on I40 are on a trailer.

I know why boats do it, but sxs's?

Carry on.

Dan'l

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

Have you tried getting on I40? I'm just curious why, the only sxs's on I40 are on a trailer.

Carry on.

Dan'l

His point is that if the state you are registered in says it is street legal, why isn’t it legal in another state? We all realize there are CA laws that preclude that, but practically you are allowed to take registered vehicles from state to state.

The link posted earlier said that they can get you out of state registration that makes your SXS CA road legal.. so that begs this exact question.

But you still have insurance problems.

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
His point is that if the state you are registered in says it is street legal, why isn’t it legal in another state? We all realize there are CA laws that preclude that, but practically you are allowed to take registered vehicles from state to state.

The link posted earlier said that they can get you out of state registration that makes your SXS CA road legal.. so that begs this exact question.

But you still have insurance problems.

I get it.
I have an XR600R. Street legal. In Arizona.

I can ride it in CALIFORNIA because there is a street legal version. XL600.

The legal requirements for the XR and the XL are the same.

A RZR is a car.

Period

It
Has
Four
Fucking
Wheels.

And it's a 2019 model.

Again a Fucking car.

You want to drive on the street, Comply.

I think there is a few vehicles, one could purchase, with 4 wheels, that complies for street legal, for $30k or less.

A RZR might as well be a go cart with a Briggs and Stratton powering it. It's still not Fucking street legal.

Do they have rack storage for them?

Dan'l

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I get it.
I have an XR600R. Street legal. In Arizona.

I can ride it in CALIFORNIA because there is a street legal version. XL600.

The legal requirements for the XR and the XL are the same.

A RZR is a car.

Period

It
Has
Four
Fucking
Wheels.

And it's a 2019 model.

Again a Fucking car.

You want to drive on the street, Comply.

I think there is a few vehicles, one could purchase, with 4 wheels, that complies for street legal, for $30k or less.

A RZR might as well be a go cart with a Briggs and Stratton powering it. It's still not Fucking street legal.

Do they have rack storage for them?

Dan'l

A RZR is NOT a car in AZ :rolleyes: they get motorcycle plates. Try to keep up please.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

Carry on.

Dan'l

There’s many types of “street legal.” Gem cars are street legal but you won’t see one of those in a highway or freeway either.

You can street legal a golf cart for certain street uses in CA as an alternative fuel vehicle.

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
There’s many types of “street legal.” Gem cars are street legal but you won’t see one of those in a highway or freeway either.

You can street legal a golf cart for certain street uses in CA as an alternative fuel vehicle.

Got it

Dan'l

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
I figured you have a street legal RZR, or the like.

Mike and Rhondas. East side.

Dan'l

Danger Dave

Sarcastically Optimistic 😁
Reaction score
Interested to see what "out of state plate" they get you, and what that even means. My guess is that some county in some state lets them register a SXS as a "car"

Even if you get that solved, there is still an insurance quagmire. Try getting CA road insurance for your SXS.

Usually Montana or South Dakota.

pixrthis

Reaction score
40C12A82-3E02-4252-926D-A5D58B52967D.jpeg
Legal is only for those that care, this guy obviously doesn’t. Last April I’m sitting in traffic on the 14 headed north into Santa Clarita and look over to see this, he even had a little kid in the passenger seat wearing a helmet. I wondered where he started, where he was going, and did he get there without being hassled.

Orange Juice

Reaction score
100% sure on that.

interesting it leaves out clear reflexive.