WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

RZR ice chest

Rbcconst

Reaction score
Ive been using the AO cooler flat bag. Fits great, holds what i need. But maybe because the heat of the motor and being in the sun it blows through 20lbs of ice in no time.

Has anyone tried a piece of rigid foam insulation under the bag?

What is everyone using for ice chest and how long does the ice last?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Spudsbud

Reaction score
There are several threads about this.
Guys did side by side comparisons over a weekend on the boat.
IIRC, a Yeti and Ozark Trail ??. 2 cases of beer in each, 20#'s of ice in each. etc etc....
Measured, weighed remaining ice Sun. aft.
These were large chest size. Not the bags.

Rbcconst

Reaction score
There are several threads about this.
Guys did side by side comparisons over a weekend on the boat.
IIRC, a Yeti and Ozark Trail ??. 2 cases of beer in each, 20#'s of ice in each. etc etc....
Measured, weighed remaining ice Sun. aft.
These were large chest size. Not the bags.

No room for a large chest.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
I use a medium Cooler Shock in my AO Cooler in the RZR. It almost freezes your beer. Keeps stuff cold for about 5-6 hours. Regular Ice turns to water within an hour. You could probably add a piece of foam for extra insulation under the bag. It gets hot af above the engine compartment!

FYI - Always put the Cooler Shock on top. (Cold goes down / Heat goes up)

Rbcconst

Reaction score
I use a medium Cooler Shock in my AO Cooler in the RZR. It almost freezes your beer. Keeps stuff cold for about 5-6 hours. Regular Ice turns to water within an hour. You could probably add a piece of foam for extra insulation under the bag. It gets hot af above the engine compartment!

I actually think I have some of those that I ordered and have never used. I will try to find them and use them. You also load it with ice or do you just use the cooler shock?

I will for sure try some foam underneath.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I use a regular 24 pack AO

Freeze 5-6 bottles of water. Lay them across the bottom of your cooler. That is all I use with no ice for 5-6 hour trips. For longer or if it is above 80 degrees or so I will toss in some ice, maybe 5-7 lbs on the 1/2 day trips. It has worked great.

Also everything I put in is already cold. That helps too.

Last edited:

Havaduner

Never home on weekends
Reaction score
I use a regular 24 pack AO.
TO the OP, is the cooler your using from AO for the boat (stow and go) or is the one with the hard bottom? That one was pretty much designed for SXS's and works better than the stow and go. I've tried both.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
I actually think I have some of those that I ordered and have never used. I will try to find them and use them. You also load it with ice or do you just use the cooler shock?

I will for sure try some foam underneath.
No Ice in my AO. I have a couple of these foam 6 pack holders I got at Glamis Vendors Row. They help keep the cans from flying around in my cooler. I think they help keep the cans colder also? (not sure) Going to try putting a Cooler Shock on top and bottom kind of like what LOF is doing with frozen bottles on the bottom to create a heat barrier.
1618326986785.png

Reactions: TPC

Rbcconst

Reaction score
No Ice in my AO. I have a couple of these foam 6 pack holders I got at Glamis Vendors Row. They help keep the cans from flying around in my cooler. I think they help keep the cans colder also? (not sure) Going to try putting a Cooler Shock on top and bottom kind of like what LOF is doing with frozen bottles on the bottom to create a heat barrier.
View attachment 991761
Does is hurt to put ice and the cooler shock?

Rbcconst

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing this. I thought about getting something fabbed up with 2 inch legs on it to let the heat vent

Rectangular Fire Pit Pad Grill Mat Deck Protector,Portable Camping Accessories Fireproof Mat- Prevent Your Deck Patio & Grass Lawn from Damaged by High Temperature - 42 x 30 Inches (L) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08KDDSD1L/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_MHG51HFP4DK3NWHZF5AJ?psc=1

In searching the other one I found a bunch of options like this amazon link. They all do what the dog pad does but are half the cost and available. A upside and downside is there not an exact fit to the bottom. The upside to it is it seems like you would want to roll the material up the back and sides a little bit.

Just not sure if they are trimable.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Rectangular Fire Pit Pad Grill Mat Deck Protector,Portable Camping Accessories Fireproof Mat- Prevent Your Deck Patio & Grass Lawn from Damaged by High Temperature - 42 x 30 Inches (L) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08KDDSD1L/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_MHG51HFP4DK3NWHZF5AJ?psc=1

In searching the other one I found a bunch of options like this amazon link. They all do what the dog pad does but are half the cost and available. A upside and downside is there not an exact fit to the bottom. The upside to it is it seems like you would want to roll the material up the back and sides a little bit.

Just not sure if they are trimable.

Honestly, freeze some water bottles and try it before you spend any money.

SIK-06

Reaction score
I use a regular 24 pack AO

Freeze 5-6 bottles of water. Lay them across the bottom of your cooler. That is all I use with no ice for 5-6 hour trips. For longer or if it is above 80 degrees or so I will toss in some ice, maybe 5-7 lbs on the 1/2 day trips. It has worked great.

Also everything I put in is already cold. That helps too.

I do the same thing. Frozen water bottles is key!

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Plus ya get cold water at the end of the day.
My 5 water bottles across the bottom have never melted more than 25-30% which I have been really surprised about. The most they melted was the Alamo Lake Ironman trip last year.. 300 miles in one day, but mild temps toping out in the mid 70s.

On these past couple hot weekends in Havasu, they were 20% melted over 8 hours, but we did less miles, around 80. I think the bed gets more heat when sitting than it does when you are moving.

The water bottle thing has really surpassed my expectations.

I also have a few of the Naked Turtle drink buckets that I use to make block ice out of. Works great in the boat cooler. I'm worried that big of a block in the RZR might start popping drinks open in the cooler.

Last edited:

AZmike

Eastsider
Reaction score
Don’t do that, your cooler will cook. Your engine cover has a bunch of reflective material on the bottom to reflect heat and has an air gap. The vented deal will just let more heat and warm air into the bed.

Plus that cover is a piece of tin, you can't put any weight on it.

Thanks for the advice. I didn't plan on putting anything on top of it.

Rbcconst

Reaction score

The cooler shocks were a big win. Put 2 large in the bottom of the ice chest and ice on top. Left for a ride at 8am got back at 5pm and everything was still cold.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
The cooler shocks were a big win. Put 2 large in the bottom of the ice chest and ice on top. Left for a ride at 8am got back at 5pm and everything was still cold.

We use Techni Ice sheets, have been for at least a dozen years, probably closer to 20. They can be bent or folded to conform. We use 'em in our built-in boat coolers and in the Rzr.
Generally line the cooler and supplement with ice in the boat since the coolers are fully exposed to the sun and 100°+ in the front sponsons.
In the Rzr they will keep stuff cold all day sans ice. I use a 24 qrt coleman stacker cooler.
Screenshot_20210427-102210_Amazon Shopping.jpg