WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

"Safety Checkpoint" bullshit

ROC

lets have a beer
Reaction score
I had one instance where the cop(AzHP) was well within his rights to give me a huge speeding ticket(90+) but instead he said something to me that clicked in the brain and changed my driving habits....had I gotten the ticket it wouldn't have had the same result with me.

I remember the story.

He said something to the effect of........"slow down, the lake will still be there"

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I remember the story.

He said something to the effect of........"slow down, the lake will still be there"

Yup, sitting on the side of Az95 right by SARA Park at 12:45am, he turned around, pointed at the lake and reminded me that it'll be there in the morning. Certainly made sense.:thumbsup

DeltaSigBoater

This is... Legendary!
Reaction score
I could go on about these M-Efer's, they would come into the bar at Callville Bay and announce to everyone drinking that they would arrest anyone for driving a car or golf cart and cite anyone for walking home for drunk in public. And the concessionaire wonders why his business took a major wallop.

...and it is dead now for sure. The place is a ghosttown

They do the same thing at Temple Bar :grumble:

I remember as a kid the rangers would stop by the trailer for a beer and shoot the shit.

TCHB

Reaction score
I would file formal complaint and stay on top of it

This is not right and pure BS.

atomickitn

Time for a Change
Reaction score
The guy says I'm under arrest for being impaired after I blew zeros. So the wife and dog get to sit in the boat during that time cooking their asses off. To be cuffed and walked around in front of all the boaters had to be the worst part for not having even one beer today.

false arrest and harrasment fok cops bad attitudes suck they are public servants sorry you got caught in their BS

Rickybobby

Reaction score
Joker
Sorry for the bad weekend, that totally sucks, years ago I had a similar issue at Lake Buena Vista, didn't go back for years as a result. As for your stop, I would document as much as you can in an articulate manner and then submit it to the head office. They have an obligation to follow up on every complaint (that is deemed a legitimate complaint and not just some pissed off hunter or boater, yours appears to be legitimate).

The coppers have the right to detain and investigate but they also have the right to only detain for a reasonable time frame (usually only about the time it would take to write a citation ???). He placed you under arrest which sort of x's the reasonable detention because now its an investigation into a crime that has been committed (he can now take his time because he is investigating a crime!!). The problem is there had to be probable cause to arrest, which was what ??? How did you FAIL the FST's ??? Symptomatology ?? How was your attitude during this part of the investigation ??? I thought I read that it took three of them to take you into custody ??? Could your attitude have played some part into their investigation ??? Not suggesting it was just askin, I was not there but this stop smells fishy????

Technically, if you were arrested there should be a report somewhere floating around along with a release from custody (ie a PC 849 form??) did you get one of those ??? To dust you off and give you a big hug and say they were sorry just does not cut it..... Document as much as you can and follow through like some of the elders here have suggested. They have a division who's soul job is to investigate themselves internally (i know some here have suggested that they cover up for one another, but trust me if they find a bad apple, he will get dealt with). I would get that info and stay in touch with them..... Its not rocket science to determine if your impaired or not, why waste the time on you if your not UI when there are way more fish in the water ????

rb

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score

I remember as a kid the rangers would stop by the trailer for a beer and shoot the shit.

All the years going out to TB as a kid... shit, I hardly even remember even seeing the Rangers out there. More so on the water then on land.

PVHCA

Reaction score

From what I hear from friends still at Calville, the officer that caused my issue is at T.B. and ruining that place as he did to Callville. His last name is kind of got a French sound to it. I have it on records in the safe at home.

Joker

Reaction score
Joker

The coppers have the right to detain and investigate but they also have the right to only detain for a reasonable time frame (usually only about the time it would take to write a citation ???). He placed you under arrest which sort of x's the reasonable detention because now its an investigation into a crime that has been committed (he can now take his time because he is investigating a crime!!). The problem is there had to be probable cause to arrest, which was what ??? How did you FAIL the FST's ??? Symptomatology ?? How was your attitude during this part of the investigation ??? I thought I read that it took three of them to take you into custody ??? Could your attitude have played some part into their investigation ??? Not suggesting it was just askin, I was not there but this stop smells fishy????

rb

I consistently asked how I did on the FST's and could not get an answer. I don't see how I could fail a FST being straight. The final one in the parking lot was as stupid as they got as I had to start on literally a pile of bird shit and walk the line of a grease spill outside the restaraunt. I think you know when someone leaves a trail of spilled grease, it's far from being a straight line. One guy gave them, another guy was writing info down on the clipboard. My attitude was to treat them with respect as I just wanted to leave. The only issue they had with me was putting the cuffs on because once he told me this, I had no idea what was right or left and asked them to turn my wrists behind my back however they needed to get it over with.

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
From what I hear from friends still at Calville, the officer that caused my issue is at T.B. and ruining that place as he did to Callville. His last name is kind of got a French sound to it. I have it on records in the safe at home.

Dickque?

DeltaSigBoater

This is... Legendary!
Reaction score
All the years going out to TB as a kid... shit, I hardly even remember even seeing the Rangers out there. More so on the water then on land.

Ah yes the good 'ol days, when they would stop when they saw you do something stupid, and not on the assumption that you have previously or are about to do something stupid :rolleyes

White guy about 6' 2"-3", stocky build? Oh and the management change didnt help the situation either, bar used to officially close at 11, but would stay open as long as people were spending money. It now closes at 10, but often the GM will come in and shut it down before 9. And my most recent favorite... you can't ride in the boat to & from the launch ramp and someone one may fall out, but you can pile as many people as you can fit in the back of a truck :headscratch:

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Joker this is long winded and for that I am sorry, feel free to read it over the next few days,

Joker,

The 849(b)(2) form someone mentioned does not apply as you were arrested in AZ, and that section is a California deal.
When I did DUI investigations I didn't tell the person in question how they did on the FST's either. That is pretty normal, as the officer wants to move the investigation along, not argue with someone the results of s subjective test..normally, arguing with a drunk isn't a good use of time. You were not drunk, you were not impaired...but this small part of the process is normal.
My agency did not focus on traffic, we were a S.O. and traffic took us away from our jobs. We were, however, trained in and did regularly conduct DUI stops simply because when a cop is behind a drunk they want to get him off the road before he kills someone. Our policy was to make the stop based on a driving act, conduct the FST's, and call for a CHP unit to turn over the investigation to them and let them make the pinch.
We worked an area where the CHP were not, shall we say, proactive or inspired to work.
As a sgt. the last thing I wanted was my people tied up waiting for a CHP officer.
Furthermore, the courts made it clear that detaining someone for more than 20 min waiting for a CHP oficer to arrive was an excessive detention.
We, as a dept., cut that to 15 min.
If their ETA was longer our deputies continued the investigation and made the arrest, if appropriate.
In 25 years in the business I never saw a cluster quite like your case.
There were times when, before the PAST device, a deputy would be fooled by the FST's for some reason and blow someone on the machine at the jail and get a 00. They would call a DRE (drug recognition guy) in and get an assist to determine if some other stuff was in the mix, if not, they got 849'd and were out the door with a ride back their car in less than 15 minutes at the facility. And, a full report was written.
After the PAST device came along and so many cops have been trained in DRE there is, in my opinion, absolutely no excuse for what happened to you.
When you zero'd the PAST device, the only further reason they had to detain you was the results of the FST's.
At that point, the officer's training in FST and drug recognition is the ONLY basis for detention, as their case lies on you exhibiting traits associated with being under the influence of another intoxicating substance. At that point, if they believe the case is strong and their training in recognizing the symptoms of drug intoxication they arrest you and take you to a place for a blood draw. They write a report that documents the driving act that brought you to their attention, and carefully documents their observations of your intoxication, ...the FST's etc. AND their training which makes them an expert.
Then they book you and wait for the results. The case is filed based on your blood work. If it comes back clean they have a very weak case and the DA ain't likely to file case, but procedure was followed.

Taking you to the jail and having you blow on a machine AGAIN, and hitting zero, then doing it AGAIN, and hitting zero tells me they were incompetent.
The arresting officer was not certain what, if anything, you were under the influence of, and did not follow the proper procedure, which would have been getting a blood draw for a drug screen. I know the law is in flux on getting a blood for misd. DUI without the consent of a suspect, when I left we couldn't. (I believe that is the way it should be, if a cop doesn't have the skills to make the case based on his expertise of DRE, then he is an idiot for even attempting to do so.)
I could make those cases all day, but I was a recognized DRE expert. I wanted the blood draw to pad my stats, to BACK UP my expert status, not to make the damn case. Most sharp cops are the same. When you have 50 DUI cases for other than alcohol, and all arrests were made based on your FST's and skill, and then the blood work comes back and backs your evaluation, ie under the influence of a central nervous system stimulant, central nervous system depressant, hallucinogen, etc...it adds to your expertise for future cases.

Anyway they already knew you had no alcohol in your system. The PAST device is pretty good. You did not have the odor of an alcoholic beverage on your breath or about your person, you were not in possession of an open container. They did not have a driving act cause you were caught in a net...he told you you failed the HGS...(Horizontal Gaze Nystagmus)
Becoming an expert in this skill used to be a two day class in itself. People who haven't had the training are NOT experts and would be stupid to base an arrest on this test. It is an FST, one of many, and should be used when you have several other failures...the failure of ONE FST does not create probable cause for a DUI arrest.
We had the DUI arrest procedure written out in our policies and training manual. It is the simplest of investigations, several steps, complete steps and act based on results. Again, this guy was an idiot.

They blew you (repeatedly) on the machine at the facility because they didn't know what the hell they were doing.
They didn't ask for a blood draw "" """ """ """ """ """

Once you are notified you are under arrest the detention time line becomes irrelevant for investigative purposes. The detention ends when you are arrested. The time span before that event is relevant...as a "reasonable" detention for investigation a DUI PRIOR to arresting is about 20 minutes.

This may be an issue if the times prior to arrest were excessive. I don't know.

Here is what I see going on here.
There is a phrase that strikes fear into the hearts of all agenices.

"Vicarious Liability". It costs agencies millions.

"Negligent Hiring"
-Becoming a cop requires some common sense. Agencies spend a small fortune weeding out the morons from the hire list to avoid this. You can imagine the buffoons who watch TV and say, "I can do that"

"Negligent Training"
-Lets say you have a park ranger with the absolute minimum training necessary to pack a gun and badge working his remote park in BFE. The victim of a felony domestic violence comes to him, and sees gun/badge and assumes "real cop".
The ranger doesn't know the requirements of the law, and blows the thing off with a simple "incident report" instead of following the law and going out and arresting the SOB.
SOB finds the victim and sticks a knife in her.
Negligent training. Cop is in fact tasked with doing this stuff and his dept hasn't trained him.

-"Negligent retention"
Ranger HAS been trained in DV stuff, and a few times he has been reprimanded for not following through.
Then one comes along that he kisses off, and a gal gets killed. Dept. is negligent for not canning the guy when he doesn't get his act together.

"Negligent Supervision"

Lets say some cop like our ranger buddy is tasked to work a DUI checkpoint, because no one else is available or we are making a show of force, or the dept signed on to help and he is working that day. He only has minimum basic DUI investigative skills, and his supervisor ahs told him to not screw this up.
But, he steps in it, and the sgt., who knows the guy isn't a skilled DUI guy, isn't paying attention until the ranger gets tot he jail and the sgt. see he has a guy in custody who isn't DUI...and he then pulls the oh shit handle and tells our ranger to let the guy go...

Negligent training...the ranger is tasked to do what he isn't skilled to do.
Negligent Supervision...the Sgt. knows the guy isn't skilled, but puts him out there anyway...and doesn't ride herd on him closely enough...

Now, I want you and the wife to sit down and run through this stuff and change the things that need to be changed and see if any of this stuff could apply to someone you know...

I hate, absolutely hate, to see stuff like this happen. Incompetent cops make it that much harder for the good guys to do the job correctly. When you get the complaint filled out and go to turn it in demand a copy of the report as well. That ass BETTER have written a very detailed report, and do what you can to find out WHEN he did it...it should have been done the day he arrested you, if he didn't do it until you filed the complaint then it adds to the incompetency.
Don't say anything to the supervisor about suing them, or even retaining or talking to an attorney. The complaint you file should go to their Internal Affairs team, let them go through the process...once they have, find a sharp civil rights attorney and let them evaluate the case. If they don't think there is $ in it they won't jump.

I want you to do this because it is the only way to stop this shit. I want you to do this because I still believe the majority of cops out there are good people doing a shitty job. It makes it easier when the cops and the public work together to weed out the assholes.
This may be this cops first beef...but if this is the way he does business it won't be he last unless you stand up and say no, you can't do this. If you step up you might change the dept. and him. A good thing.
Or, this cop may be a major screw-up, and the agency is just waiting for an opportunity like this to fire his ass...if so, not filing means he goes on screwing up.

Sorry to be so long winded, this stuff still bugs the crap out of me after all these years, and I despise incompetency in my profession, and I can't stand it when it becomes endemic in an agency.

Jeff

Last edited:

PVHCA

Reaction score
Ah yes the good 'ol days, when they would stop when they saw you do something stupid, and not on the assumption that you have previously or are about to do something stupid :rolleyes

White guy about 6' 2"-3", stocky build? Oh and the management change didnt help the situation either, bar used to officially close at 11, but would stay open as long as people were spending money. It now closes at 10, but often the GM will come in and shut it down before 9. And my most recent favorite... you can't ride in the boat to & from the launch ramp and someone one may fall out, but you can pile as many people as you can fit in the back of a truck :headscratch:

Not that tall and more EURO looking, he's a definite D-Bag who really enjoys ruining a good time.

Tishimself

Banned
Reaction score
Funny, I don't drink. And I used to think that all this DUI stuff did not apply to me because I did not drink. Now I know better. Just another reason to not trust and stay as far away from cops as I can get. Nothing good comes from an encounter with them. And this is proof. Even if you do do the right thing, they still mess with you. Sad, very sad that this is the new norm....

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
FBT: You have much more patience than I do.. lol Keep in mind he's told us repeatedly that it was the AZ Game & Fish officers doing the tests. Not regular COPS like you and I are used to dealing with and advising on. My guess is their head was way up their ass and none of them new enough to call it what it was, a mistake, and let him go after he was blowing zero's. I don't know how often those guys go after OUI's or DUI's, but you know as well as I that a lot of time those check points are used as training. I figured at first they thought it was something other than alcohol he was on, but like you said, it doen't take 3 hours to figure that out:thumbsdown.

shintoooo

I'm Blessed
Reaction score
FBT: You have much more patience than I do.. lol Keep in mind he's told us repeatedly that it was the AZ Game & Fish officers doing the tests. Not regular COPS like you and I are used to dealing with and advising on. My guess is their head was way up their ass and none of them new enough to call it what it was, a mistake, and let him go after he was blowing zero's. I don't know how often those guys go after OUI's or DUI's, but you know as well as I that a lot of time those check points are used as training. I figured at first they thought it was something other than alcohol he was on, but like you said, it doen't take 3 hours to figure that out:thumbsdown.

Just come out and say it......Cops Suck ;)

PVHCA

Reaction score

SO NPS allows their officers to go into the field without proper training and gives them the ability to harass innocent citizens, is that ok with you? I assume it's not so the fault falls on as you call them REAL COPS since the training was limited at best.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
SO NPS allows their officers to go into the field without proper training and gives them the ability to harass innocent citizens, is that ok with you? I assume it's not so the fault falls on as you call them REAL COPS since the training was limited at best.

Uhh yeah... The liability falls on whatever agency let's Game & Fish try to play COP for a day without training or supervising them properly. To the point, every real cop on these boards knows exactally what I'm saying in regards to these guys not being real COPS. You either understand or you don't. No intention of turning Jokers thread into that debate over that so if it helps you sleep at night call them whatever you need to.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Uhh yeah... The liability falls on whatever agency let's Game & Fish try to play COP for a day without training or supervising them properly. To the point, every real cop on these boards knows exactally what I'm saying in regards to these guys not being real COPS. You either understand or you don't. No intention of turning Jokers thread into that debate over that so if it helps you sleep at night call them whatever you need to.

I'm far from trying to debate the issue or being argumentative. I'm just wondering what the difference is? They go to the same academy, is it because they do different types of work most of the time?

JBS

Reaction score
Seems like a real cop to me

The Arizona Game and Fish Department requires a current peace officer certification, participation in Arizona Game and Fish Department academy training and complete physical and psychological examinations.

PVHCA

Reaction score

Oh I completely understand ur dance. The officers have weapons a badge and the same authority as every other cop out there and even more since they work for the FEDS.

I sleep fine, maybe you are the one that has issues with your excuses.

PVHCA

Reaction score

The Arizona Game and Fish Department requires a current peace officer certification, participation in Arizona Game and Fish Department academy training and complete physical and psychological examinations.

No their not Jeff, just ask T&Y and all the other cops on the board, LOL!!

WTMFA

Kill Em All
Reaction score
I've been boating havasu for over 25 years. I've lived in havasu for 7 years. I have had MANY encounters with Leo over the years, good and bad. Keep in mind I have friends in SWAT all the way down too school cops so I do get to hear the other side of things.
Game&fish, Refuge police, Rangers, are some of the worst Leo I have ever had the displeasure of making contact with. It's been said many a times that they don't have the proper training and this is why they have a reputation of hostile encounters.
Well, my question is this, what kind of a person needs "training" to treat another person with respect and dignity? We're not talking about a big city or ghetto environment here. It's pretty fucking obvious that 90% of the people they encounter are on vacation. Let's call it what it really is.............TOTAL ABUSE OF POWER. Based on what "I" have heard them say to myself and others these Leo's were angry sadistic people who need to be removed from an authoritative position. In the recruitment process they should focus a little more on the prospects attitude and metal health then whether they smoked weed in their life or something else silly that is almost of no consequence :rolleyes
Rant over.......:skull

Mardonzi

Pull!! Bnag!! Loss!!
Reaction score
As the saying goes,, "Perception is Reality". People see someone in a uniform, with a badge, gun, etc.. and to the general populace, that person is a COP. Not a Fish and Game officer, not a Park Ranger, but a COP. FBT has hit the nail on the head repeatedly here about the AZGFD Barney tainting the image of LEO collectively for this very reason, hence pushing for a complaint to be filed.

If AZGFD putting their officers out in the field with poor training, poor supervision, or both is the norm for this agency, then hopefully John's complaint can make things better for the rest of us.

Reactions: t&y

t&y

t&y
Reaction score

Oh I completely understand ur dance. The officers have weapons a badge and the same authority as every other cop out there and even more since they work for the FEDS.

I sleep fine, maybe you are the one that has issues with your excuses.

You guys can't let it go. I am good friends with an L.A. County Coroner. She has a P.O.S.T. certificate, powers of arrest, can carry a gun, has a badge. In her 20+ years of experience she hasn't taken a police report, responded to an actual call for service for the police (other than her duty as a coroner of course) or arrested anyone. I guess with your vast knowledge on the subject you would classify her as a COP simply becase of her qulifications and certifications. What you can't seem to grasp is real basic, not all members of Law Enforcement are COPS. Can't make it any easier for you here fellas. Get over it or rant on waisting space in here if you must.:finger

PVHCA

Reaction score
You guys can't let it go. I am good friends with an L.A. County Coroner. She has a P.O.S.T. certificate, powers of arrest, can carry a gun, has a badge. In her 20+ years of experience she hasn't taken a police report, responded to an actual call for service for the police (other than her duty as a coroner of course) or arrested anyone. I guess with your vast knowledge on the subject you would classify her as a COP simply becase of her qulifications and certifications. What you can't seem to grasp is real basic, not all members of Law Enforcement are COPS. Can't make it any easier for you here fellas. Get over it or rant on waisting space in here if you must.:finger

Hey T&Y why don't you get fucked, ur the one in some type of denial pal.

You are the exact type of LEO that we all have to but hate to respect!!

shintoooo

I'm Blessed
Reaction score

You are comparing apples to oranges. These guys are put out there to make arrest and do field sobriety tests and all the other things that go with being a "COP" and you're saying they are not cops?

If It Walks Like A Duck And Quacks Like A Duck....... just saying

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
I've been boating havasu for over 25 years. I've lived in havasu for 7 years. I have had MANY encounters with Leo over the years, good and bad. Keep in mind I have friends in SWAT all the way down too school cops so I do get to hear the other side of things.
Game&fish, Refuge police, Rangers, are some of the worst Leo I have ever had the displeasure of making contact with. It's been said many a times that they don't have the proper training and this is why they have a reputation of hostile encounters.
Well, my question is this, what kind of a person needs "training" to treat another person with respect and dignity? We're not talking about a big city or ghetto environment here. It's pretty fucking obvious that 90% of the people they encounter are on vacation. Let's call it what it really is.............TOTAL ABUSE OF POWER. Based on what "I" have heard them say to myself and others these Leo's were angry sadistic people who need to be removed from an authoritative position. In the recruitment process they should focus a little more on the prospects attitude and metal health then whether they smoked weed in their life or something else silly that is almost of no consequence :rolleyes
Rant over.......:skull

Perhaps I see the issue..........................:D

t&y

t&y
Reaction score

Easy internet warrior. If you can't handle a simple disagrement you should back away from the computer. If they way you type is a true representation of how you conduct yourself in the real world I don't want or need your respect. Has nothing to do with the subject at hand.

You are comparing apples to oranges. These guys are put out there to make arrest and do field sobriety tests and all the other things that go with being a "COP" and you're saying they are not cops?

If It Walks Like A Duck And Quacks Like A Duck....... just saying

You can call them whatever you want. Done with the subject in here.

PVHCA

Reaction score
Easy internet warrior. If you can't handle a simple disagrement you should back away from the computer. If they way you type is a true representation of how you conduct yourself in the real world I don't want or need your respect. Has nothing to do with the subject at hand.

You can call them whatever you want. Done with the subject in here.

Who gave the finger first? Tough Guy!!

I hope he is Shinn

Ultracrazy

Reaction score

The guy comes on here to give you guys some insight and guys can't see the forest through the trees. Then you make a character judgement? You just make yourself look like an idiot. Good job.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

PVHCA

Reaction score
The guy comes on here to give you guys some insight and guys can't see the forest through the trees. Then you make a character judgement? You just make yourself look like an idiot. Good job.

Another idiot chimes in, he threw the finger out first just lowering to his level I guess.

PVHCA

Reaction score
Thanks for proving my point.

You have no point pal, your not well liked around here so that proves my point. Go play with your other cop buddy.

Tishimself

Banned
Reaction score
This should be getting good here....gonna have a seat and watch...popcorn anyone??

popper.jpg

Ultracrazy

Reaction score
You have no point pal, your not well liked around here so that proves my point. Go play with your other cop buddy.

Have we met? If not, again you proved my point. Something I've learned in 33 years on the job......never argue with drunks or idiots. You fit both. Have a nice day sir.

PVHCA

Reaction score
Have we met? If not, again you proved my point. Something I've learned in 33 years on the job......never argue with drunks or idiots. You fit both. Have a nice day sir.

Your just another power hungry cop with a rather large chip on your shoulder that can't handle criticism, the type that loves to dish it out but the pussy LEO that can't take it.

33 years sucking someones dick is why.

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
Why do I have this strange feeling this thread is about to come to an end?:rolleyes

PVHCA

Reaction score
Why do I have this strange feeling this thread is about to come to an end?:rolleyes

All because two typical power hungry cops can't handle the truth is why.

Wicky

Mr. Potatohead
Reaction score

Last edited by a moderator:

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
As the saying goes,, "Perception is Reality". People see someone in a uniform, with a badge, gun, etc.. and to the general populace, that person is a COP. Not a Fish and Game officer, not a Park Ranger, but a COP. FBT has hit the nail on the head repeatedly here about the AZGFD Barney tainting the image of LEO collectively for this very reason, hence pushing for a complaint to be filed.

If AZGFD putting their officers out in the field with poor training, poor supervision, or both is the norm for this agency, then hopefully John's complaint can make things better for the rest of us.

:thumbsup:thumbsup

Wicky

Mr. Potatohead
Reaction score

Last edited by a moderator: