WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Safety Meeting!! Need opinions.

dirtslinger2

Reaction score
If you zoom in, these 2 plugs have been stuffed in this side wall for about 2 years, and driven hard.

Again, I wouldn't question a patch in a spare tire.

Attachments

• InkedResized_20210316_165431_LI.jpg
    InkedResized_20210316_165431_LI.jpg
    920.3 KB · Views: 47

Javajoe

Reaction score
Ask your wife 😂😂😂
What would you tell your daughter if she asked you that?
Buy a new fucking tire. Tires are cheap compared to being stuck or putting that bitch on in the middle of nowhere and having a sidewalk blow out then your really fucked

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
With all your money I'm surprised you're asking this question. Tire safety is a thing especially for people who can afford tires.

You could get 3 more and put them on your Speed Car. Oh wait. Nevermind.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Don't feel bad, my newest car is 16 years old...

BTW, just did a set of rears on a Freightliner today...tires are up 25%, and finding "sets" is getting a bit tougher for those trucks they say aren't running. Patch the tire, consider it Cuban Car Care 101.
That’s four years newer than anything I own. Well except for maybe my pontoon😂

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Nope, throw it away. Spares need to be reliable or multiple

pixrthis

Reaction score

Riverbottom

Reaction score
Get one of the patch plug all in one repairs, I would not think twice as a spare, better than your old spare.

Happy Smitty

Reaction score
Well if it was me I'd probably patch it and run it knowing all well it may fail then get a blow out on the freeway, it takes out my $250 toy hauler fender for a second time and I'd be replacing the tire on the side of the road on my way home hung over on a Sunday afternoon with a 4 hour drive still ahead of me. I can predict my own future. But it doesn't stop me for some reason.

zhandfull

Reaction score
That tire would be fine with a safety seal plug. 😁

boatnam2

Reaction score
I carry plugs in truck, that would be plugged and changed out at 5 year mark.

DLC

Reaction score
I wouldn’t trust it!

no way Jose!

when your trailering all your shit to UTAH and once you get to TIM BUCK 4!
You’ll remember this meeting while sitting on the side of the road waiting for Matt to bring you a tire!

hman442

Reaction score
Patch it, it'll be fine - for a spare. Did you really buy Carlyle ?

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
No Sir.

Nope.

Not even if it was on a toy, would I patch/plug a sidewall unless it was an emergency to get me home/out of the woods.

It's just not worth the hassle.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
I’m surprised nobody has suggested removing the tack from the outside and installing it from the inside. Then of course, add another tack 180 degrees out so as to have a properly balanced tire.

Oggie

Reaction score
Seriously back in my younger days my friends would put a tube in tires that the sidewall that was way worse than a pin hole and run it on their cars.

LuauLounge

Reaction score
Add another axle to the trailer, that way you can have two flats.

Spudsbud

Reaction score
As just a Spare, like anybody, sure.
BUT !! you are asking from the of a Safety meeting, OSHA, Appointed safety guy with your company POV............. not only no, Hell NO.
Lord forbid 18 months from now that tire blow, causing God knows what kind of accident. Property damage, lord forbid personally injury or death ?
Lawyer will find the records, who signed off on that tire to be used knowing it was damaged.....
Negligent Homicide. Guilty.
Ask me how I know.......
its a fucking tire. Throw it in the dumpster. AND make a written record of doing so CYA buddy.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
As just a Spare, like anybody, sure.
BUT !! you are asking from the of a Safety meeting, OSHA, Appointed safety guy with your company POV............. not only no, Hell NO.
Lord forbid 18 months from now that tire blow, causing God knows what kind of accident. Property damage, lord forbid personally injury or death ?
Lawyer will find the records, who signed off on that tire to be used knowing it was damaged.....
Negligent Homicide. Guilty.
Ask me how I know.......
its a fucking tire. Throw it in the dumpster. AND make a written record of doing so CYA buddy.
If he throws that tire in the dumpster he will then be considered an environmental terrorist and they will hunt him down.🙄 😂

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Did that tire have a punctured sidewall? Or was it in otherwise good condition?
I have no idea, but trailer tires explode and do this stuff when they have zero issues, let alone known sidewall punctures.

Point is - being that the only way to truly find out is to try it, is it worth the potential $$$ risk to try it? Over $95 ?

Last edited:

Wedgy

Reaction score
I have no idea, but trailer tires explode and do this stuff when they have zero issues, let alone known sidewall punctures.

Point is - being that the only way to truly find out is to try it, is it worth the potential $$$ risk to try it? Over $95 ?
Easy call on a single axle trailer. I had a trailer tire bubble and blow out in 2003, just sitting in the parking lot at the Riverside. Big O Bullhead City bound. 6 years later, a blowout on 95 rounding the corner coming into Vidal junction, from Needles. On a single axle trailer, you feel that shit quick. Got lucky, and was able to pull off and changed it in one of the asphalt drainageways. The big difference between the two, the second flat, my Redhot Smokin GF was quite impressed with my tire changing preparation, and ability, dropping the Rig at Parker Tire, 4 pm, on a Friday night, and enjoyed an awesome romantic dinner at the cozy little Hole in the Wall Mexican restaurant. To be continued.

The first time, was the then Wife bitching about new trailer tires. Glad those days are over!:D

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
Plugging a tire will only cause it to seperate. And plugging one in a sidewall where it flexes most is multiple times worst. Never, ever plug a tire unless it is an emergency and a last resort short term fix to get out of immediate trouble.

Backlash

Reaction score
Seems like a silly question to ask with all your knowledge of vehicles (Being serious here). How many tire shops do you know of that will patch sidewalls? There's a reason for that.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Seems like a silly question to ask with all your knowledge of vehicles (Being serious here). How many tire shops do you know of that will patch sidewalls? There's a reason for that.

Tire shops don’t want to patch anything, they want to sell you a tire. A pinhole in a sidewall is certainly a risk vs one without a pinhole, but if a proper patch holds air I don’t see this as being the end of the world. If this happend on the road, 99% of us would simply continue driving on it to get home.

However people seem to have no problem routinely towing over the rated limit of their trucks like it is a badge of honor :). I’m looking at you V10 on 9 cylinders towing a 32’ toyhauler.

Last edited: