WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Salvageable?

KevinR

Reaction score
Me and my Aviator got taken out yesterday by a work truck when the driver ran a red light. As I was turning left once the light turned green, and looking left, I never saw it coming. Barely made a scratch on the truck.

It’s at the repair shop and will get evaluated. What do you guys think? Will USAA deem it a loss or say fix it? Granted, as of yet I don’t know about any frame damage, but at the least the steering components were broken as that right front tire was pointed left when steering was going right, as I tried to exit the intersection.

Damn. I sure liked that car.

DE28FA46-5B21-4E4C-9E89-17B736A8F7D8.jpeg
FE883E71-BAB7-49B3-92F3-888D1292ED61.jpeg
18AAE6C8-18D1-4714-838A-45EE1FC6021B.jpeg

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Based on the impact location on the truck and the damage to the Lincoln, you may be in luck. I think the box side of the truck did the most cosmetic damage to the hood. Betcha the tire is what broke the steering when it impacted your tire and the rear bumper side extension (steel rectangular tubing on the truck) is likely what ripped off your bumper. I'm betting they repair it. Steering components are designed to fail before transmitting that force through the frame or into the occupants so I highly doubt there is any frame damage there.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
If the airbags blew than it will most likely be totaled.
Not necessarily. Its just the $ amount to repair. It used to be that if airbags went off that indicated a severe impact that needed too much work to be worth it. With todays smarter airbags that's not always the case.

J&k beer can

Reaction score
Air bags are stupid money to replace..
I don't see any in pics.. so it's probably fixable in insurance eyes.
If damage is 85 percent of the value vehicle they will total it.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I hope you're not too sore, today and tomorrow. Bath with epsom salts can help.
Cars nowadays are a crapshoot on what totals them. No help there. Be happy that he only wiped out the nose, and didn't T-bone or rearend you.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
No way that's totaled in today's environment. That'll buff out and in 6 months you'll be back in your almost completely repaired, diminished value Aviator that you used to love o_O :oops: o_O:oops:

fmo24

Reaction score
With all the reporting systems now a days can you sue for diminished value upon resale?

D19

Reaction score
With all the reporting systems now a days can you sue for diminished value upon resale?

You can put a claim into their insurance co. It has to be done within a certain time frame. Did this on my wife's car and sure as spit when we went to sell the car a couple years later everybody wanted to lowball because of the Carfax accident report. At least we got money from the ins co.

NicPaus

Reaction score
BIL is going through this now. His new truck a old lady hit him with 1500 miles on it. Insurance does not want to total it. I told him once it's repaired which they said 3 months from now. Trade it in and sue her for the difference of what he paid. Body shop wants to total it cause of firewall damage but Insurance is trying to get dealer to repair firewall.
I tried to sell a friend's car years Ago to a member here. Had. Carfax report from when are other buddy owned it and was in a fender bender and got a new bumper. Might as well have had a salvage title. He got 6k less than if it had no carfax.

Reactions: D19

D19

Reaction score
BIL is going through this now. His new truck a old lady hit him with 1500 miles on it. Insurance does not want to total it. I told him once it's repaired which they said 3 months from now. Trade it in and sue her for the difference of what he paid. Body shop wants to total it cause of firewall damage but Insurance is trying to get dealer to repair firewall.
I tried to sell a friend's car years Ago to a member here. Had. Carfax report from when are other buddy owned it and was in a fender bender and got a new bumper. Might as well have had a salvage title. He got 6k less than if it had no carfax.

That's sucks. Ya it is crazy! Our car had a little body damaged (rear ended) that was fully repaired with a transferable lifetime warranty from a very reputable shop with several locations, but the Carfax stigmatized the reputation of the car so bad that it may as well have been a salvage. If you're tying to trade it in or sell to Carmax- forget it.

Flatsix66

Reaction score
I wonder how blame will be assigned? Looks like you hit him even though he ran the stop light. Did you not look both ways before proceeding into the intersection? Not trying to be a dick but it seems this could have been prevented.

Cobalt232

Reaction score
I got rear ended in my previous Audi with it had 72 miles on it. Luckily it was a lease. Took forever to fix as it was a new model and they had to get the parts from Germany.

530RL

Reaction score
If the other guy is at fault you will most likely still have your insurance handle the claim and subrogate the loss.

I had USAA for over twenty years before recently switching and they have paid diminution of value to me when the other party was at fault with no problem. On a 2010 GT3 the diminution claim exceeded the repair claim.

There is no question a car in an accident even repaired is worth less than a car not in an accident. So get the difference if it is not totaled and make sure they include the diminution claim when adjudicating whether or not they total or repair.

Some lease and financing language will include a provision where diminution claims go to pay down principal as it is a return of a reduction in the value of the capital asset.

Skater368

Upon My Request This is all Folks Skater368/nganga
Reaction score
Without reading the entire thread, 530 has it. I wrecked my wife's brand new C7 vette. Other guys fault. We hired a Diminished Value consultant. He saw that the repair was correct (which it wasn't) had to go back for genuine GM parts in certain places. He also got us 13K diminished value and loss of use for 7500.00 IIRC. GM had the car for 135 days due to back-ordered parts.

You shouldn't have to sue. They count on you not knowing this stuff.

The car will always carry the repair until we sell or trade (car fax) but we've been compensated for the loss.

HIRE A CONSULTANT.....

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
It did it's job. Scrap it or part it out.
We're not talking a 69 BB Chevelle. Modern cars are accordions designed to do one job. Save your life not the vehicle.
Glad you are OK.
At today's prices, I agree with professional help.

AZmike

Eastsider
Reaction score
We had a 2020 Ford Explorer St. The first weekend we had it got side swiped in a parking lot. We had it repaired then had a bunch of issues with. Luckily we had it lemon law’d for electronic issues. Hopefully you have a replacement coverage program with your insurance company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JDub24

American Bad-Ass!!
Reaction score
Good news is you have USAA and they don’t mess around. They will do right by you if there history with my family holds true.

senorpdog

Reaction score
Not sure where you took it but just make sure they write a complete estimate before parts are ordered that vehicle is probably a total but some shops will start on it with an estimate that misses damage then supplement it over total loss value.

KevinR

Reaction score
I wonder how blame will be assigned? Looks like you hit him even though he ran the stop light. Did you not look both ways before proceeding into the intersection? Not trying to be a dick but it seems this could have been prevented.

Nope. I never saw the truck. Two lanes turning left and I was in the right of the two. Most times in this situation the inside car pushes out wide and if you don’t pay attention they crowd you into the next lane. To avoid this, when the light turned green I was focused on the car to my left. Did not look right to see if any vehicles ran the red.

Could it have been prevented? Sure, if I looked right before entering the intersection. But I didn’t. Could have been prevented if the truck driver did not run a red light.

KevinR

Reaction score
Not sure where you took it but just make sure they write a complete estimate before parts are ordered that vehicle is probably a total but some shops will start on it with an estimate that misses damage then supplement it over total loss value.

Yes I have discussed this. My insurance will make the claim against his. He was clearly at fault and admitted such to me. Tear down, pictures and estimate for parts and labor have to be shared so they can go from there.

Then, since the car is leased, the lessee will make the decision.

Sure hope they scrap it. I have 2 more years of lease.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
His fault, if push for a total with same car replacement. You had a green he had a red, hard to lose that one.