WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Sam’s Beachcomber? Does anyone have a place there?

Hammer

Reaction score
The wife and I are looking into places there. I’d like some first hand insight. The good and the bad. We have never stayed there and I don’t know anything about it except the property was split in two. Has anyone left there boat under a carport there during the season? What kind of park restrictions do they have?

Actually coming into town this weekend and renting. I really like the fact that the kids can play by the water if they choose. Islander has that option too.

ISLANDER-I know a few inmates have places at The Islander but it doesn’t seem to fit us with all the rules to be in there. Not opposed to it, I just don’t want someone telling me I can’t have guests or be loud past 10pm if it happens. I also am not sure if I want them controlling the rentals and who stays there. At the same time, it is a very nice facility.

The driving force behind all this is we want to spend a lot more time there (once a month minimum)and the nautical is too expensive now that it doesn’t make sense anymore. House rental only makes sense if we split it between us and another family.

We are probably ditching the motorhome and are open to the idea of spending our off-road season in havasu. The motorhome program hasn’t penciled out for us at all.

Buying a house there isn’t an option(at least on paper). Buying a lot maybe, but I don’t know when I’d be able to build a home or fund it. I need an RV garage and the wife wants a pool, no exceptions. I can’t swing what we would want financially with the current market(probably 300k-500k). Overpriced in my opinion. I don’t want to rely on rental income to pay the mortgage. Buying a fixer upper is not something I want to deal with. I just spent 4 years finishing our home. I need a break. Lol

All of these options come down to money and if it pencils out. We love the lake and we aren’t ditching that program in our lifetime.

I’d appreciate any insight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

LBZRCKS

Reaction score
I've only stayed at rentals there, but did look into purchasing something and I think they have the highest space rent. One that is currently listed for sale has the space rent currently at $1080/month and being raised to $1180 this summer.

Singleton

Reaction score
I can only speak to the Islander (summer spot for ToyHauler).
Rules are not that bad. Looking to purchase a park model but with limited availability, you have to be a cash buyer.
@BUDMAN has the knowledge on the park model rules and rental programs at the Islander.

know a few folks that moved to the Beachcomber Estates for the summer (RV sites), but no access to the ramp.
Sam’s Beachcomber has the ramp, but I have heard your monthly space rent has gone up big time.

gmnhra

Reaction score
Islander
Been in the park 20 years...raised kids and held our breathe many times when the kids were teenagers and raising hell.
security...top notch. never had anything stolen our tampered with
Rules...just don't be outrageous and inconsiderate.
There a bunch of remodels going on in the park and the resale prices have gone way up lately.
private launch ramp is worth the price of admission
Space rent and storage rent is a premium. Islander very good at getting money out of your wallet.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
I was at the Islander for a few years and they have priced me out and have no availability on the weekends I want to go. I switch to beach combers (not Sam’s, but the estates) this year and doing a monthly there. So far it has been a great experience. Same as you houses don’t pencil out for me and we would considering buying a park model instead but for now we will Rv it.

Fenderbender

Reaction score
I've only stayed at rentals there, but did look into purchasing something and I think they have the highest space rent. One that is currently listed for sale has the space rent currently at $1080/month and being raised to $1180 this summer.
Yep we have rented houses there in the past and loved it but the space rent could almost pay for a small mortgage out there. not to mention most of the places I have seen have ben two bedroom which is tough for us with three kids. The community pool is pretty nice, launch ramp is good enough, slips are kinda rough but the inside ones work with some big buoys.

Singleton

Reaction score
I was at the Islander for a few years and they have priced me out and have no availability on the weekends I want to go. I switch to beach combers (not Sam’s, but the estates) this year and doing a monthly there. So far it has been a great experience. Same as you houses don’t pencil out for me and we would considering buying a park model instead but for now we will Rv it.

same position.
Havasu house does not make sense, but if I can pickup an Islander Park Model under 150k and remodeal it makes sense, if I can rent it to my mom for the winter. She needs a new winter home and the Islander makes sense for me IMO.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
same position.
Havasu house does not make sense, but if I can pickup an Islander Park Model under 150k and remodeal it makes sense, if I can rent it to my mom for the winter. She needs a new winter home and the Islander makes sense for me IMO.
I checked with the islander a few weeks ago. They didn't have any park models for sale thru the Islander. I asked about private sales and they said I would have to check online. Not sure where to check. 🤷‍♂️

Singleton

Reaction score
I checked with the islander a few weeks ago. They didn't have any park models for sale thru the Islander. I asked about private sales and they said I would have to check online. Not sure where to check. 🤷‍♂️

I have no idea on where to find them listed.
I normally drive around in the golf cart and look and see what is for sale by owner. My first golf cart booze cruise is April 15.

Todd Mohr

Will Race For Beer
Reaction score
I looked at a mobile at Sam's a couple of weeks ago for 90k, kind of a shitter, but the 900 space rent after 90k investment seems to make it not make sense. The guy next door said he gets 2k per month from snowbirds. It seems like the trailers will need lots of maintenance being so old. I looked at a condo in the downtown area last weekend, seems like it might be less of a maintenance issue and be an easy snowbird rental. IMO. If anyone knows of any reasons the condo is a bad way to go, please chime in. I'm looking to make an offer in the next week or so.

Hammer

Reaction score

I was looking at the Estates this morning. Only gripe is no ramp and beach access. I agree, Islander is too expensive, plus storage for the boat. At that point I’d hold out for a house... personally, I’d just not do anything and save my money. But when the wife has a plan, it usually isn’t going away. [emoji23]. I’m not opposed to a place, I just want to be fiscally smart about it.

Hammer

Reaction score
I looked at a mobile at Sam's a couple of weeks ago for 90k, kind of a shitter, but the 900 space rent after 90k investment seems to make it not make sense. The guy next door said he gets 2k per month from snowbirds. It seems like the trailers will need lots of maintenance being so old. I looked at a condo in the downtown area last weekend, seems like it might be less of a maintenance issue and be an easy snowbird rental. IMO. If anyone knows of any reasons the condo is a bad way to go, please chime in. I'm looking to make an offer in the next week or so.

I tend to agree with you. I don't see 100-125K for a nice trailer then $900-1k a space month rent with 2k a month in return from rentals. The wife seems to think we can get rid of storage and keep the boat under the carport. I'm not opposed to it, but I'm also very weary about leaving a boat outside while I'm 250 miles away. Monthly Storage sucks though. I hate paying for it. But it is convenient, I just feel that money could go towards a property. Unfortunately, the home values are so high it is what I paid for my house at home. Of course the value went up, but Havasu sky rocketed. I have been waiting two years for it to crash or level off. That's not happening at all!! The mobiles are definitely going to need constant maintenance due to being older, and its a trailer, I'm sure some of them have had bandage repairs that will always need attention.

Hammer

Reaction score
I can only speak to the Islander (summer spot for ToyHauler).
Rules are not that bad. Looking to purchase a park model but with limited availability, you have to be a cash buyer.
@BUDMAN has the knowledge on the park model rules and rental programs at the Islander.

know a few folks that moved to the Beachcomber Estates for the summer (RV sites), but no access to the ramp.
Sam’s Beachcomber has the ramp, but I have heard your monthly space rent has gone up big time.

I talked to Paul about places at the islander a few years ago. Built a pool at home instead. In hindsight. I should have bout a dirt lot and sat on it. Oh well.....

Reactions: DWC

NicPaus

Reaction score
Part of my monthly mobile rent is boat and ski storage. Mobiles always need something every few years unless you go through everything then you can get away with 5 years.

The rent at Sam's is hefty but you are on the lake.

Hammer

Reaction score
Part of my monthly mobile rent is boat and ski storage. Mobiles always need something every few years unless you go through everything then you can get away with 5 years.

The rent at Sam's is hefty but you are on the lake.

That is a pretty big motivating factor. I like the idea of being on the lake..

Singleton

Reaction score
I tend to agree with you. I don't see 100-125K for a nice trailer then $900-1k a space month rent with 2k a month in return from rentals. The wife seems to think we can get rid of storage and keep the boat under the carport. I'm not opposed to it, but I'm also very weary about leaving a boat outside while I'm 250 miles away. Monthly Storage sucks though. I hate paying for it. But it is convenient, I just feel that money could go towards a property. Unfortunately, the home values are so high it is what I paid for my house at home. Of course the value went up, but Havasu sky rocketed. I have been waiting two years for it to crash or level off. That's not happening at all!! The mobiles are definitely going to need constant maintenance due to being older, and its a trailer, I'm sure some of them have had bandage repairs that will always need attention.

I ended up purchasing a 45’ storage unit back in 2015 for the boat for 40k. The monthly storage rent was approaching $300 and was going up every 6 months, so I made the decision to purchase. I will sell that when I retire and get an RV Garage with a house in Havasu.

while the Islander space rent is not cheap at apx 600 a month, it is a safe and great place for kids and grandkids (oldest turns 26 in May, so we will have those before youngest is out of high school).

Hammer

Reaction score
I ended up purchasing a 45’ storage unit back in 2015 for the boat for 40k. The monthly storage rent was approaching $300 and was going up every 6 months, so I made the decision to purchase. I will sell that when I retire and get an RV Garage with a house in Havasu.

while the Islander space rent is not cheap at apx 600 a month, it is a safe and great place for kids and grandkids (oldest turns 26 in May, so we will have those before youngest is out of high school).

That wouldn't be a bad idea, purchasing a storage unit. I have not looked at the costs to purchase.
We will be spending Friday looking at places. I will drive through the Islander again with the wife. Doesn't look like anything is available online....

Todd Mohr

Will Race For Beer
Reaction score
That wouldn't be a bad idea, purchasing a storage unit. I have not looked at the costs to purchase.
We will be spending Friday looking at places. I will drive through the Islander again with the wife. Doesn't look like anything is available online....
2 weeks ago I checked at the office and they said nothing is for sale in there.

77charger

Reaction score
brother has a place in beachcomber rent is high his spot is on top of a cove too has waterfront.Like someone said you can rent to snowbirds for good money said hes getting 3k a month right now and has another who wants to rent it from april to june waiting,Told me his neighbors place sold for 480k or something like that thenyou have space rent on top of that.IMO for that price id go with a house where it will make money vs throwing 1500 a month in rent plus trailer cost too.

Hammer

Reaction score
brother has a place in beachcomber rent is high his spot is on top of a cove too has waterfront.Like someone said you can rent to snowbirds for good money said hes getting 3k a month right now and has another who wants to rent it from april to june waiting,Told me his neighbors place sold for 480k or something like that thenyou have space rent on top of that.IMO for that price id go with a house where it will make money vs throwing 1500 a month in rent plus trailer cost too.

I agree. If a place by the water goes for 160k-480k like you said a house is a better option for sure. Thanks for the insight.

Singleton

Reaction score

that is crazy money for not owning the land.
Islander park models make sense for 150-200k, when you factor in 10 years of space rent at 600 a month.
Once you get over 250 just for the double wide, it does not make any sense IMO.

Singleton

Reaction score
2 weeks ago I checked at the office and they said nothing is for sale in there.

the office does not list / support those for sale by owner. You have to drive around and find those.
my summer spot will be converted to a park model within 5 years, we are starting those conversations with the office now (waiting list for new park model sales).

BUDMAN

HAVASU BOUND
Reaction score
I’ve said for years the Islanders rules are extreme. On the flip side, it’s what keeps it such a nice family friendly park. We raised four kids there and will probably start bringing the grandkids soon enough. It’s a great place for kids. Always felt safe letting the kids run around and play with the other kids. They’ve made some lifelong friends there, hell we even gained a son-n-law from are daughter meeting her boyfriend there. The 10 o’clock curfew used to suck, but now that the kids are grown we usually leave the park and meet up at other friends houses or the bars so it doesn’t bother us so much anymore. Plus when you don’t want to hang with friends and looking for quite time, it’s a nice excuse not to have people over 😂. You can’t beat the the launch ramp especially on the busy weekends. I think the longest I’ve ever waited was 20 minutes tops. If you can afford to keep your boat in storage I would. Left our old boat covered one summer and it was hard on it. I’ve been trying to convince the better half to sell but what would we do then. Between space rent and expenses we are roughly around $1,500-1,600 a month plus storage at $250. Could we do a house for that? Not sure🤷🏻‍♂️

JB in so cal

Reaction score

what space #?

Subadvantage

Reaction score
I've owned a park model in Sam's for about 25 years now and used to spend every other weekend there until a few years ago. Seen a lot of changes. The park was the wild, wild west when we bought our place and soon thereafter, a fence encircled the resort and the rules tightened. Space rent was $235 a month back then and has quadrupled since. Rents were similar to the Islander, but after the current owners won the concession lease, rents significantly increased, with another $100 increase coming July 1. There are generally four tiers for rents as I understand it, with those furthest from the water paying about $900 and those closest to the water paying over $1,600. That's your park history lesson.

On the up side, our boat has been stored in the screened carport without issue. Availability of the ramp and docks is priceless most days during the boating season. Cruising through the park in your cart and meeting/drinking with neighbors is something you can't really get on the open street. And once you're here, there is really no reason to get back into your car. Our park model hasn't been a money pit, but does need to freshening up being 30 years old. We recently updated the inside and replaced the A/C. Plan on some minor fixes for the outside like replacing the deck and roll up screens. Good to go for many more years after that. The units are small (at least ours is), but we've always made it work with the wife and I and the kids and usually some of their friends. A good bed and good A/C were all I needed, otherwise we're outdoors. Oh yeah, and did I mention that it's walking distance to the water and some pretty good views? You can find units for sale or rent on their website. .......https://www.samsbeachcomberresort.com/

JB in so cal

Reaction score
I’ve said for years the Islanders rules are extreme. On the flip side, it’s what keeps it such a nice family friendly park. We raised four kids there and will probably start bringing the grandkids soon enough. It’s a great place for kids. Always felt safe letting the kids run around and play with the other kids. They’ve made some lifelong friends there, hell we even gained a son-n-law from are daughter meeting her boyfriend there. The 10 o’clock curfew used to suck, but now that the kids are grown we usually leave the park and meet up at other friends houses or the bars so it doesn’t bother us so much anymore. Plus when you don’t want to hang with friends and looking for quite time, it’s a nice excuse not to have people over 😂. You can’t beat the the launch ramp especially on the busy weekends. I think the longest I’ve ever waited was 20 minutes tops. If you can afford to keep your boat in storage I would. Left our old boat covered one summer and it was hard on it. I’ve been trying to convince the better half to sell but what would we do then. Between space rent and expenses we are roughly around $1,500-1,600 a month plus storage at $250. Could we do a house for that? Not sure🤷🏻‍♂️
Baller!

Hammer

Reaction score
I’ve said for years the Islanders rules are extreme. On the flip side, it’s what keeps it such a nice family friendly park. We raised four kids there and will probably start bringing the grandkids soon enough. It’s a great place for kids. Always felt safe letting the kids run around and play with the other kids. They’ve made some lifelong friends there, hell we even gained a son-n-law from are daughter meeting her boyfriend there. The 10 o’clock curfew used to suck, but now that the kids are grown we usually leave the park and meet up at other friends houses or the bars so it doesn’t bother us so much anymore. Plus when you don’t want to hang with friends and looking for quite time, it’s a nice excuse not to have people over [emoji23]. You can’t beat the the launch ramp especially on the busy weekends. I think the longest I’ve ever waited was 20 minutes tops. If you can afford to keep your boat in storage I would. Left our old boat covered one summer and it was hard on it. I’ve been trying to convince the better half to sell but what would we do then. Between space rent and expenses we are roughly around $1,500-1,600 a month plus storage at $250. Could we do a house for that? Not sure[emoji2371]

That’s not horrible. I don’t think we could mortgage a property and keep it that low. You around Havasu this weekend?

Hammer

Reaction score
I've owned a park model in Sam's for about 25 years now and used to spend every other weekend there until a few years ago. Seen a lot of changes. The park was the wild, wild west when we bought our place and soon thereafter, a fence encircled the resort and the rules tightened. Space rent was $235 a month back then and has quadrupled since. Rents were similar to the Islander, but after the current owners won the concession lease, rents significantly increased, with another $100 increase coming July 1. There are generally four tiers for rents as I understand it, with those furthest from the water paying about $900 and those closest to the water paying over $1,600. That's your park history lesson.

On the up side, our boat has been stored in the screened carport without issue. Availability of the ramp and docks is priceless most days during the boating season. Cruising through the park in your cart and meeting/drinking with neighbors is something you can't really get on the open street. And once you're here, there is really no reason to get back into your car. Our park model hasn't been a money pit, but does need to freshening up being 30 years old. We recently updated the inside and replaced the A/C. Plan on some minor fixes for the outside like replacing the deck and roll up screens. Good to go for many more years after that. The units are small (at least ours is), but we've always made it work with the wife and I and the kids and usually some of their friends. A good bed and good A/C were all I needed, otherwise we're outdoors. Oh yeah, and did I mention that it's walking distance to the water and some pretty good views? You can find units for sale or rent on their website. .......https://www.samsbeachcomberresort.com/

Thank you for the insight! [emoji106].

BUDMAN

HAVASU BOUND
Reaction score
That’s not horrible. I don’t think we could mortgage a property and keep it that low. You around this weekend?

Not this weekend. Unfortunately won’t be back until boat show weekend and DS

Hammer

Reaction score
Not this weekend. Unfortunately won’t be back until boat show weekend and DS

Next time! Trying to figure out DS... not sure about the boat show yet.

lf2

Reaction score
What about across the lake at Havasu Landing. Havent really looked recently to see whats for sale in the park. Space rents range from 4-600ish. Might even find one with a garage for the boat.
Havasulandingrealty.com

Hammer

Reaction score
What about across the lake at Havasu Landing. Havent really looked recently to see whats for sale in the park. Space rents range from 4-600ish. Might even find one with a garage for the boat.
Havasulandingrealty.com

I looked at the landing. All our friends are in havasu and we prefer to be over there.

Reactions: DWC

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I’m looking at lots and houses in bhc. I’m five years late and I think I may just wait. I don’t know

CanyonLakeDave

Reaction score
Islander: Private ramp and boat parking makes the space rent worth it. We will “possibly” have our park model available for sale but only to upgrade. Bottom line we love the Islander. Sure there are rules but any nice place has rules that keep the place nice.

hallett21

Reaction score
RV at crazy horse? And look into purchasing a storage condo.

I had no idea how much the space rent was on these areas. But you are on the water.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Thank god I bought my place in havasu when you got them real real cheap.

Last edited:

Hammer

Reaction score
RV at crazy horse? And look into purchasing a storage condo.

I had no idea how much the space rent was on these areas. But you are on the water.

I’m going drive through crazy horse this weekend as well. I have not been in there since the 80’s of 90’s when I was a kid. Lol

riverroyal

Reaction score
you're by the riff raff
watch out for this guy, steals beer.
10 years at Islander doing the Rv route. No complaints. Im ok with the rules, which are a bit blown out of proportion on the 'web'. Ive been shut down by noise, typically after 10pm and its always because someone complains. If your sitting having cocktails and talking your fine all night. If you having a drunkin corn hole game at 10 you will be asked to wrap it up.
Now on the flip side, my park model neighbor had his kid come in without him and they brought others, loud, fuck fuck fuck until 12, then I complained. I also told the park model owner last time I saw him about it in a 'heads up' way so he doesnt get kicked out from his kids actions.
For every 1 person that says its to expensive or too many rules (on the internet) there are 100 others that have no issues with it (not on the internet). Thats why theres a waiting list and its not cheap.
There is no place like the Islander, once your there a season you will understand it. Its a vacation every trip, the people, the sights, the convivence. Its a relaxing place that I cant wait to go each and every time. Which is twice a month. Worth every penny to me.

J&k beer can

Reaction score
So reading this some are paying 1500-1800 a month for a mobile home in a park???.

I get the its on the water. We wanted that but couldn't get over the space rent and neighbors right next to you..
So we decided house was the way to go..
Bought smaller house and added rv garage that just got finished..
boat was in storage and it sucked having to go get it to go out on lake. Then cleaning it and put back in storage.

Maybe a smaller house that's needs some upgrades might be the ticket..
yes maybe easier said then done...

Todd Mohr

Will Race For Beer
Reaction score
I was prepared to make an offer on a condo with a 30 ft deep garage today, I was reading the complex rules and no dogs allowed. No where in the listing was the no pets rule, glad I found out now. Now I'm back to square one, the condo was 245k and 1 block from the downtown bars and food. I agree that the Islander and Sam's are great locations and I know I would love the amenities. I don't want to leave my boat outside or pay storage, I am open for advice. I sold a property and don't want to pay capitol gains, I don't believe a mobile will work with a 1031 exchange.