WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Sami Tales

dspracing

Reaction score
This has taken me a few days to put together but @gqchris has been pushing me to do it and I figure it would give him some entertainment while he is down.

Way back when in my early days(16 or so) we were out dirt biking with a big group. I took a big fall and me and my bike were done for the weekend, right before the poker run. One of the guys in the group had an old samurai so he has me drive him through the course to pickup the markers.

Happy to get back on wheels I gladly take him up on his offer. Having little to no experience with a manual trans aside from my dirt bike, I’m pretty nervous which he quickly picks up on.

Things are going pretty well as we approach a pretty sizable hill climb. I plan my route with some coaching as to which gear to use,etc and head on up. The plan is coming together and all is going smoothly. As we trudge through the half way mark he yells and screams in a massive panic and demands me to stop. I jam on the brake pedal, the car stalls and he begins to laugh hysterically.

Well apparently this guy has a death wish as it turns out to be just an extreme hill start test for my clutch skills. A stall or two coupled with that burnt clutch aroma and we were on our way again.

The memories of this trip stuck with me forever and my sights were forever set on a samurai of my own.

Fast forward to mike @240Hallett putting his samurai up for sale. I tossed and turned but just wasn’t quite ready to pull the trigger. And when I was, @gqchris had already beat me to the punch, likely for the better.

Already knowing Chris, I told him I had better be his first call when he is ready to make the sale. Being the solid guy he is, I was indeed (or so I think lol).

Fast forward to the second time I get the call from Chris, with his wife’s full backing this time, we agree to meet up to complete the sale. At this point, I’m essentially buying it sight unseen having only really seen the photos that mike posted when he originally sold it to Chris. I live in Havasu at this point with him being in so cal.

The day I picked it up -

6DC59C8A-DAB1-4078-B573-90D661F20CAA.jpeg

Having never seen the vehicle, Chris gives me a quick walk through. I’m quite surprised with the custom touches added by the extremely talented fabricator @240Hallett and the refinements added by Chris, most importantly being the extended travel to the front seat to accommodate us bigger guys.

I have a few more errands to run and then I start my journey back to havasu. My wife is not letting me come home without hot pot supplies from the Asian market. Assuming I can get these items in Palm Springs, I set it as my last stop. Low and behold, Palm Springs does not have a suitable Asian market to purchase the required supplies. So, time to unhitch Sami and make the trip back to Riverside. Reaching speeds greater than its traveled under its own power in many years I’d assume, we successfully make the hour + trip each way with the coveted essential supplies.

After an extremely long day, I make it back to havasu safely without further delay. Sure thing, like a kid on Christmas morning, I cannot wait to get out and take her for a spin. I wake early and hit the nearest dirt, less than a mile away, as capture this pic -

6E367F6B-391E-4E15-9D73-F21AADCE7AEF.jpeg

dspracing

Reaction score
Needless to say, I was hooked.

Turns out, this is the ultimate vehicle for my family and I in Havasu.

Little trips up the hill to watch the sunset, body beach with the jet ski, fishing, exploring, fires at sunset point, quick runs to the store and more. Never did we expect to have so much fun in this vehicle in our new home town.

At least once a week we buckle in our son, who is almost 3, and head out for an adventure. We challenge a hill and he chants “go Sami, go!!!”

933A8ACE-914B-4C6F-9AD3-6D0E1D6A29BF.jpeg
B357E62A-0379-4379-8789-3A0EB7F75EAF.jpeg
8C7AE843-8131-4769-97E4-24061F570E89.jpeg
830276A3-905C-484D-8B64-813F82C9A171.jpeg
6C06630B-CC9F-452F-9208-5132DD8081B7.jpeg
BE80000D-0937-4C1D-8C9B-4913FD7A0784.jpeg
935E677E-0F73-4747-B9DE-07C82FD27527.jpeg
AF1547AD-B6B5-4DF0-9FB2-B7FF78167DEF.jpeg
C38055F4-31E3-49A7-BA69-00E16CD8D1BE.jpeg
730952AE-01B9-4892-B2B1-1AC3D0F05817.jpeg
06EC41E3-DF5A-420E-945C-A128FFC3FD24.jpeg
B044B27B-B8F3-4C3C-A4A9-354A9B56EA96.jpeg

dspracing

Reaction score
With little to no storage space, we’ve really learned to pack the essentials. Last weekend for Mother’s Day, mama wanted to go fishing so we packed in our gear and the three of us and headed down to the island for a day on the water with Sami. Amazing time on the lake just minutes from home. Didn’t get many pics but here is one of little man taking a break from fishing to chase some ducks.

2F08E573-2986-4D81-B630-1715E79B57C2.jpeg

DWC

Reaction score
Congrats on the addition. Saw it when Chris first picked it up. Very cool ride.

gqchris

Reaction score
Thanks Ryan! Damn how did I miss this thread until today? Ironically its the first morning I have felt better, and then I see this! Just awesome!

I knew it was going to a good home. and I am so glad it stayed in the family. I know when my daughter gets to be that amazing age of 3, we will be looking for something to cruise in again!

I got more thumbs up in that car than anything else I drive. Once I was at a light and I got a siren blip, HBPD was behind me. Im like shit, here we go.....so I start pulling over and he come up besides me and was lik e"Bro, I haven't seen one of those in years! Thats bad ass!"....Made my day and we were both laughing!

Get your ass out here soon, I still got your Bikini top and a box of stuff! LOL

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
I’m so dislyxic I thought this thread was about SAAMI tables

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
My buddy used to buy those and wheel them hardcore when they were plentiful. They stomp.

Now they are too hard to find

redone76

Reaction score
Love our ‘87 Tin top. Almost pulled the trigger on yours when @240Hallett had it up for sale. Luckily found ours in Covina. Had to give her some love but she handles the trails great! Planning to cruise Pismo with her memorial weekend
615518BA-7F52-4A54-A066-F19C824AE06F.jpeg

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Very cool and enjoy it. Don't see many of them anymore.

Reactions: DLC

oldschool

Reaction score
That’s awesome. They are fun rigs. My brother bought Riverryder’s and has it over on Catalina Island. They now fit into the “Autoette” category along with limo carts. He’s been cruising his all over the island with his family.
7DAE0901-5228-42EA-A455-6AA3B940CDE4.jpeg

redone76

Reaction score
That’s awesome. They are fun rigs. My brother bought Riverryder’s and has it over on Catalina Island. They now fit into the “Autoette” category along with limo carts. He’s been cruising his all over the island with his family. View attachment 1116920
Call me peanut butter and jelly!

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score
My pop had one in his later years, he loved it.

He called me one day and asked me if I thought the wind could blow a Samurai on its side. 😂😂😂

I said, “Dad, are you even being serious?” 😂

Dang neighborhood kids.

dspracing

Reaction score
Thanks Ryan! Damn how did I miss this thread until today? Ironically its the first morning I have felt better, and then I see this! Just awesome!

I knew it was going to a good home. and I am so glad it stayed in the family. I know when my daughter gets to be that amazing age of 3, we will be looking for something to cruise in again!

I got more thumbs up in that car than anything else I drive. Once I was at a light and I got a siren blip, HBPD was behind me. Im like shit, here we go.....so I start pulling over and he come up besides me and was lik e"Bro, I haven't seen one of those in years! Thats bad ass!"....Made my day and we were both laughing!

Get your ass out here soon, I still got your Bikini top and a box of stuff! LOL
Glad to hear you are recovering!

Yeah, lot's of followers, honkers, etc. Last week a couple followed me all the way home in their Samurai, to ask me where I got the tire cover from. Don't worry, I didn't give them your number.

Once it heats up a bit more, we will take a trip out to cool off, visit Costco and enjoy some delicious food.

Is it the top that goes all the way back but without the sides? I tried to order one but couldn't find it....

240Hallett

Reaction score

Yeah, lot's of followers, honkers, etc. Last week a couple followed me all the way home in their Samurai, to ask me where I got the tire cover from. Don't worry, I didn't give them your number.

Once it heats up a bit more, we will take a trip out to cool off, visit Costco and enjoy some delicious food.

Is it the top that goes all the way back but without the sides? I tried to order one but couldn't find it....
Ryan the original top was in two pieces separated by the roof line above the roll bar. I gave Chris the piece that goes from there to the windshield. The back section was trashed which is why I replaced the top. I could not find the two-piece style when I was looking.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
We have fond memories of samurai. Out on my in-law’s 150 acres in the middle of the desert they had a Samurai that we drove around. When our son was about 11 he learned to drive stick in it. To this day we always talk about it when we see one on the road. When the FIL passed they gave his cars & firearms to his grandkids. It was only right since they were biological and not step like we were. The sad part is that they sold EVERYTHING. At least we still hove a few things plus a 40 acre lot out of the 150. One day we might be able to have some fun with grand kids out there. 👍

gqchris

Reaction score

Yup, I bought a new black one. Its just the top and lets air flow in on the sides. I got it right here on my garage shelf:)

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
Sami got a new friend. Picked the jetmate up Tuesday and got it running and water tested today. Ridiculous amount of fun. Looking forward to getting it cleaned up and the adventures to come.

@gqchris

View attachment 1120000

@dspracing I was the guy at the corner of McCulloch and Acoma in the Green Jeep that honked at you. It was nice of your wife/Girlfriend to wave even thought she has no idea of who we are. That is a bad ass little setup you got there!!!! Maybe one day we will meet in person.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Smiths is our favorite. The bartender is awesome and the beers are damn near free.

agreed. If they could just tune up their chicken tender program, that would be the best market ever conceived by man.

dspracing

Reaction score
@dspracing I was the guy at the corner of McCulloch and Acoma in the Green Jeep that honked at you. It was nice of your wife/Girlfriend to wave even thought she has no idea of who we are. That is a bad ass little setup you got there!!!! Maybe one day we will meet in person.
Sadly neither of us recall but my wife is always one to wave. You probably caught us on our second trip down to body beach after we forgot our life jackets. The samurai always gets attention and the Jetmate only makes it worse for two low key people. We like to do hot pot on Sunday night’s with friends. Always thought you and your wife might like to join.

dspracing

Reaction score
agreed. If they could just tune up their chicken tender program, that would be the best market ever conceived by man.
For real. If I’m desperate I go salad bar but really a few tenders and some mac and cheese is what a guy is looking for. But that’s of course only if RD doesn’t take up all the parking spots with His mega truck.

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
Sadly neither of us recall but my wife is always one to wave. You probably caught us on our second trip down to body beach after we forgot our life jackets. The samurai always gets attention and the Jetmate only makes it worse for two low key people. We like to do hot pot on Sunday night’s with friends. Always thought you and your wife might like to join.

Let us know the next time that you are getting together with friends. It is always great to meet more people in town. 👍

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Let us know the next time that you are getting together with friends. It is always great to meet more people in town. 👍
We should do a meet and greet at Smith's bar sometime. I would be in for that, I like the Barrio blonde they have.

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
We should do a meet and greet at Smith's bar sometime. I would be in for that, I like the Barrio blonde they have.
That is a great idea Mike. Maybe mid week like Thursday.