WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

San Diego Bay

Magic34

Reaction score
We're in our 3rd season exclusively boating in the Bay and absolutely love it. San Diego has become our favorite spot and the drive from Phoenix isn't bad at all. I've done 3 round trips in the last 3 weeks. Couple things that I notice down there is that boats are more used as condos. There's a lot of boats down there, but we're in the minority that we take the boat out every day that we're in town. Most people go out maybe 1 day on a weekend or not at all. If you've never boated out there, it's just like a big lake except giant Navy ships may pass you every once in a while. We've got our spot we head to an anchor or tie up with friends just off the shore of the Coronado golf course. Kids love taking off in the kayak and we simply chill and hang out not sweating our a$$ off in the 70 degree weather.

There's a lot more cleaning that goes into the salt game, but if you do it well, your boat can continue looking like new.

It's safe to say that we're definitely done with the lakes for the foreseeable future. So if you guys from the north ever come down for a weekend, hit me up. Good chance we'll be on the water.

Reactions: TPC

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Yeah, you can rent a slip with hook ups by the day, week or longer.
An amazing boating town.

minijeep

Reaction score
my neighbor and I would go down there and ski of the beach down by the military housing, water was always glassy in the morning!

zx14

The Skipper
Reaction score
We're in our 3rd season exclusively boating in the Bay and absolutely love it. San Diego has become our favorite spot and the drive from Phoenix isn't bad at all. I've done 3 round trips in the last 3 weeks. Couple things that I notice down there is that boats are more used as condos. There's a lot of boats down there, but we're in the minority that we take the boat out every day that we're in town. Most people go out maybe 1 day on a weekend or not at all. If you've never boated out there, it's just like a big lake except giant Navy ships may pass you every once in a while. We've got our spot we head to an anchor or tie up with friends just off the shore of the Coronado golf course. Kids love taking off in the kayak and we simply chill and hang out not sweating our a$$ off in the 70 degree weather.

There's a lot more cleaning that goes into the salt game, but if you do it well, your boat can continue looking like new.

It's safe to say that we're definitely done with the lakes for the foreseeable future. So if you guys from the north ever come down for a weekend, hit me up. Good chance we'll be on the water.
I can clean the boat, but my trailer it will be toast

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score

Looks like you are about to upgrade the condo as well.:D
http://www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/showthread.php?133902-2005-Formula-370-SS

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score

My family and I spent 4th of July weekend and the following weekend there and absolutely love it. There is so much to do by boat it's ridiculous. My wife told me we should look for house down there as both of us thought it would be an ideal place to live if you are into the boating lifestyle.

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
There is a small inlet behind Humphries where you can go and watch the concerts. Check it out, but get there early. It's an amazing way to watch some of your favorite bands.

elcajones

Reaction score
I have a separate boat just for the bay and offshore fishing. I wish I could use it more often. If you go just outside the bay off point Loma and hang out you will usually see dolphin and whales this time of year. I keep my boat in storage in Chula Vista and Launch down at Glorietta Bay. Restaurants, bars, beaches, SD bay has it all.

Magic34

Reaction score
I've seen the most dolphin and whales off the coast of La Jolla. Dolphin like 50+ at a time and they jump through the wake. The whales are so amazing to see. They move slow and on calm days, you can see nearly 50' of blue slowly moving just under the surface.

We haven't done a concert on the water at Humphries yet, but we have off the point near the Marriott. Glorietta is our spot where we hang. Perfect for the kids and the breeze that comes off the ocean is awesome. As many have said, there's so much to do. It's a completely different experience than the lake stuff and right now I'd say we like it more.

Where I have the Formula stored includes a slip for when it is in the water and all amenities. In terms of storing a boat on the trailer, I found the magical spot. Launch ramp next door, full amenities and slip when in the water, maintenance pumps water off cover in the rain, nightly security... perfect set up.

Magic34

Reaction score
marriott.jpg

cays.jpg

cover.jpg

IMG_9723.jpg

IMG_2319.jpg

IMG_2268.jpg

marina sept 27.jpg

pano sept 29.jpg

beach sunset.jpg

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
There is a small inlet behind Humphries where you can go and watch the concerts. Check it out, but get there early. It's an amazing way to watch some of your favorite bands.

Elaborate por favor?:D I see these water side concerts but it seems its Alan Jackson and at LOTO or some Floridian local. Sounds cool.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
We have done this many times. Use google earth, or maps and you can see the area and how to get there. I anchored my 21 a few time for shows and we were one of the biggest boats... go early. And take a cup to pee in, cuz there are so many kayaks around you can't just whip it over the transom when you have to whiz.

You can see parts of the stage. Some musicians will call out, "this one is for the boat people"...

They have a good lineup this year.

DeltaSigBoater

This is... Legendary!
Reaction score
Elaborate por favor?:D I see these water side concerts but it seems its Alan Jackson and at LOTO or some Floridian local. Sounds cool.

We have done this many times. Use google earth, or maps and you can see the area and how to get there. I anchored my 21 a few time for shows and we were one of the biggest boats... go early. And take a cup to pee in, cuz there are so many kayaks around you can't just whip it over the transom when you have to whiz.

You can see parts of the stage. Some musicians will call out, "this one is for the boat people"...

They have a good lineup this year.

See attached, as Mandelon said there isnt alot of room and it gets crowded early with dinghies, kayaks, and small boats. Summer time is the best because of the PM high tide. Its pretty misleading when you first hear about. People have visions of taking their 40'+ over and seeing/listening a free concert. Then you get there and it's like holyshit this is tight :yikes

Humphries00.jpg

seating_chart.jpg

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I researched it and it looks like a bunch of greenies in Yaks, which is OK. Guess I won't be takin the 55'er down there though. lol. Looks like the bass boat with lawn chairs on the front deck would be perfect. If still not a little big? IS every one in the water cool, or is it like being on the lawn / festival asshole seating.
Their line up is really great. Would like to see Joe Bonamassa but that might be a little crowded.
Another question (or 2). What would be a good ramp to launch from, for a totally unfamiliar with the bay, guy with a 2 wheel drive truck. And are the vagrant docks hard to get in the summer on a Sat.? Might be cool to spend the night then go to breakfast.

Edit: Seems if I drop anchor, I could drink on the boat? Harbor patrol cool down there?

j-bone

Reaction score

We pass each other up then. We live in San Diego and drive to Yuma to boat on the lower river. We love the 100+ degree dry heat and sandbars with warm fresh water. You can have that cold salt water, marine layer, and seaweed. If you golf, that golf course is pretty fun though.

You can also dock at a few restaurants and go in for lunch or do take out.

j-bone

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I researched it and it looks like a bunch of greenies in Yaks, which is OK. Guess I won't be takin the 55'er down there though. lol. Looks like the bass boat with lawn chairs on the front deck would be perfect. If still not a little big? IS every one in the water cool, or is it like being on the lawn / festival asshole seating.
Their line up is really great. Would like to see Joe Bonamassa but that might be a little crowded.
Another question (or 2). What would be a good ramp to launch from, for a totally unfamiliar with the bay, guy with a 2 wheel drive truck. And are the vagrant docks hard to get in the summer on a Sat.? Might be cool to spend the night then go to breakfast.

Edit: Seems if I drop anchor, I could drink on the boat? Harbor patrol cool down there?

I would launch at the Shelter Island Boat Ramp. On Saturday you will be dealing with the fishing crowd. Could get busy. The ramp at 24th St. National City is decent, but I worry about my car/trailer there. And the last public ramp I know of is in Coronado. Glorietta Bay. It is nice and doesn't get too crowded if you launch early.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. Do you have a recommendation for a restaurant with a dock access in SD? Low key boat attire . We did Ventura Sat. HIt the ramp about 4. Cocktail cruised around, toured the keys. Tied up and went to dinner. Brophy's was packed, so went to Andrea's. Back at the ramp about 10. Instead of going to the same local lakes again and again, I'm going to try to start hitting the marinas. Next will be Oxnard, I know there is a couple boat up restaurants there. Then LB, Newport, and SD. I may rig a tent over my bimini and try overnighting on SD.
I called the dockmaster on Sat and requested a slip for a couple hours. He asked what I was in. I said a fishing boat. He said dock C slip 5.

LIKE A BOSS
WP_20150801_002.jpg WP_20150801_004.jpg

j-bone

Reaction score
We always got take out from Joe's Crab Shack. They have a dock behind the convention center. Attire almost everywhere in San Diego is casual.

Magic34

Reaction score
The launch ramp next to my Marina is great also. It's called Pepper Park in National City. The ramp on Coronado, just south of the Del and convention center works well also. Shelter Island is good, but as others have said, gets busy. The only negative about Pepper Park is that it is about 4 miles south of the action.

For dining, hands down Jimmy's Famous is the way to go. Local attire is just fine, there's a little bit of dock space next to the pump out facility. If you call ahead, they may even say you can park for 90 minutes at Point Loma Marina. The group that owns our Marina in National city also owns the Point Loma Marina and Jimmy's.

Another option is the Bali Hai. It's on Shelter Island and has a guest dock. We've dined there by boat many times as well. If you went south, there some restaurants on Coronado but the dock is right in the channel, it's a rough water dock. I haven't and wont likely ever dock there. Joe's has a dock for use, it's small but well protected. It can handle 3 boats. If you went further South to our marina, they have the Waterfront Grill, nice small little restaurant that is open daily for lunch, dinner Fri-Sat, breakfast Sat-Sun. You can simply pull up and dock at the main walkway anytime there without needing an access key for the gate.

The water in the bay doesn't get too crazy. You'll see small rented fishing boats out there, way less than a bass boat. You'll see some big rollers from 50'+ yachts and there's the typical wind chop. Maybe 1'-2' wind chop at most.

Harbor Patrol stops the idiots. They have always been cool to me when talking at the fuel dock. There's more than enough morons on rentals for them to mess with, a respectful and experienced boater doesn't have any worries. I've only been stopped by Homeland Security once. I was coming in from taking a 2-3 mile u-turn trip past point loma, I was coming in a little fast, 45+ MPH and it was a weekday, not much going on. They asked me 4-5 questions and said have a good day.

If you want to stay the night, there's many options. You can get a guest slip for the night at almost any marina. The Marriott and Sheraton are the 2 most expensive for guest slips. If you decide you want to stay the night, let me know, we can get you the marina rate at the Best Western walking distance from our marina and a slip there would be pretty inexpensive. It's the nicest marina in the bay, the only negative is that it is a couple miles further south that the start of the action (Bridge area). Your trailer/vehicle would be best here. You could also get a slip at Point Loma (if available) and stay across the street at the Holiday Inn.

Glorietta Bay marina also has limited guest slips and is close to the launch ramp I described above for Coronado. You'd be close to downtown Coronado. Anything south of the bridge will be a decent ride to the concert area though. 8-11 miles.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info guys, Talking with my buddy about makin a trip down there, I always prefer as much knowledge going in as I can get! :thumbup::thumbup:

2CHILL

Reaction score
Love it down there...

Attachments

• 20150912_170228.jpg
    20150912_170228.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 20150912_161957.jpg
    20150912_161957.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 23

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
The yellow spot is the best location. Any closer and you can't really see well. Yes, drop anchor. I'd use one front and one rear. They will come up mucky... so be sure to swing em around a bit to clean off the mud and weeds.

If you are going in with a power boat go early. The kayaks and dingy boats will crowd all around you.

Take a bottle or a cup to piss in....you can't just stand on the back step and let it fly. LOL Open containers are no problem.

Humphries, where to be.jpg

Kailuaboy89

Aloha Airliner
Reaction score
I used to have a center console with outboard that we used to fish, surf, and go to concerts with, SD is the place to be! now I just catch rides with my bro on his little 15 foot livingston, and we surf and fish at the kelp at point loma, its super fun and the bay is fun to cruise!:D