WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Sandblasting a boat?

oldschool

Reaction score
Anyone ever used sandblasting to remove paint on a boat? There’s a couple guys in my area that do it(sandblast), but never a boat. Worried it might leave it pitted or worse. Here’s a pic of the project.
0ED1F5A0-9AE5-44F2-8395-1E7C9CF9C513.jpeg
6CFEE0B2-652A-4835-8B1F-564AEE29AA61.jpeg

oldschool

Reaction score
Put a motor in it and just drive really fast until the rest blows off
I did that towing it after I bought it and a bunch came off. Big chunks of purple and pink where flying off.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
From the looks of it, you could have the majority of that paint off in a short period of time with a compressor and a blow gun. I wouldn't sand blast. Might try a pressure washer too if the compressed air isn't making enough of a mess.

oldschool

Reaction score
From the looks of it, you could have the majority of that paint off in a short period of time with a compressor and a blow gun. I wouldn't sand blast. Might try a pressure washer too if the compressed air isn't making enough of a mess.
I was going to try my pressure washer on the top, the bottom doesn’t have the chunks missing so I’ll have to just sand it I guess.

Sherpa

Reaction score
I buy cheap wood chisels from HF and use them until to start getting close to original gel then I stop. My flat had like 4 colors on it and a bunch of bondo....

if you a lot of the old paint off yourself, it should be a lot cheaper to have a guy soda blast it the rest of the way...

you can also buy those media-blaster systems you use with a pressure washer.. it works by using a bucket of media (soda carbonate) with a dip-tube in the bucket and a flex hose that connects to your pressure washer wand tip...

Spray and pray I guess..!

but don’t sand blast it!

-S

oldschool

Reaction score
13 posts and nothing about the trailer?

Do both of them at the same time.
Lol, so whatcha trying to say about my trailer? That piece of shit is getting turned into a dolly trailer so it will get chopped up, sand blasted and painted eventually.

oldschool

Reaction score
Single edge razor blade.

View attachment 983814
I knew he is your BIL, your father in law was my Dads PE teacher at Covina High School. I was going to call Billy about painting the boat, but I don’t see it being in my toy budget just yet. I have a motor to build and a lot of stuff to fix or replace. Maybe down the road I can get some of that Billy B magic.

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
I knew he is your BIL, your father in law was my Dads PE teacher at Covina High School. I was going to call Billy about painting the boat, but I don’t see it being in my toy budget just yet. I have a motor to build and a lot of stuff to fix or replace. Maybe down the road I can get some of that Billy B magic.

It's amazing how many of you Covina high schoolers pop up over the years. :D

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
Be careful... I would bet that the paint is coming off in sheets because this was prepped like a car, adhesive properties to Metal and Fiberglass are different the same thing goes when you strip paint. I saw a beautiful 69 Sanger wood deck come thru B&K boats years ago, the deck looked like it had been bleached, the gent who put the deck on had stripped the previous deck with a chemical stripper and the residue was never completely removed... and it destroyed the new deck. The same thing can happen with soda blasting as it leaves a residue. I am not expert at all just hung around a shop and have done a couple boats myself, I would go out and by an Ingersol Rand 8" growler get some 3m green 24 of 36 grit paper and strip the boat, you need to get whatever they put on there off. once it's stripped we put a good resin coat down finishing with a resin coat with a wax sealer. Block the shit out of that and then we used white gelcoat as a primer, lay it down and block it out and prep for paint. Gel Coat is colored resin, the same thing that boat is made of. There are other "primers" you can use beside gel coat but make sure its compatible with glass. This Spectra was done just like mentioned above... also our base white is Enamel and we sprayed right over 220 not 400 or 600 like
an automotive process and there are no sand scratches.

front tight0871.jpg
reflection.jpg

Last edited:

oldschool

Reaction score
Born in Covina in 68...Waco in 76....Visalia in 78.....a few places since then.

Water Romper

Reaction score
Covina-1958. And speaking of Billy, I used to ride my moped (the Chevelle was to expensive) to his shop to shoot the breeze and get in his way.