WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Santa Barbara...Info needed

MCnParker

Reaction score
Going to take the wife up to Santa Barbara for a night or two to get away from the kids and relax. Recommendations or places to avoid? We want to stay down close to the beach and preferably near or on State Street. All the reviews online are all over the place. Anyone with first hand experience or know of any hidden gems I should check out?

Thanks

DWC

Reaction score
There’s a Hilton and Hyatt property that are pretty nice and close to the water. Hilton is huge. Some really good rooms. They do a fire pit at night that’s pretty cool to hang out at. The Hyatt is smaller. Cool little bar to pregame at.
They’re Uber distance away from State street.
IMG_7299.jpeg

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
The Simpson House Inn

Not on State, or on the beach, but its an experience that may win over your other half. Very quiet Victorian bed and breakfast.

Mikes56

Reaction score
Santa Barbara is one of our ”go to” places and I know it well. My wife and I got married there 9 years ago and go back often for day trips and occasional overnighters. It’s also a destination for a buddy and I when we take the Harleys for a ride.

First question is how much do you want to spend per night?

The hotels across the street from the ocean on Cabrillo Blvd are pricey , but excellent. They are all 3-4 blocks from State St. and the pier. There are hotels right on State St too that would be fun. Not too far to stumble if you’ve been drinking. State St used to be a regular street. Most of it has been converted to walking only and the restaurants all put outdoor patios in the street. That was because of Covid, but it got left that way because everyone loved it.

Reactions: DWC

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
Always enjoy a glass a wine on the pier

And we’ve done the 2-3 hour sailing trip out of there. Good time.

Last edited:

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Harbor View North and The Californian are both recently remodeled, on State 1/2 block from the Pier/Harbor. Old standby The Hilton right on the beach.

Brophy Bro's for fun harbor view eats, stiff drinks and great food!

Arigato for Sushi.

Lilly's for street tacos. Super Rica's for similar but unique and slightly larger menu. I like Los Agaves for run of the mill Mexican, good mole!

Lots of tiny hole in the wall places....exploring is half the fun!

Chubby's for a burger, all they do is burgers, similar to In&Out, but better IMO (greasy spoon type). I recommend the Chubby Burger Special!

Been cold in the mornings, hot in the afternoon recently, bring a little extra just in case!

Mikes56

Reaction score
Look at Hilton Santa Barbara Beachfront Resort, it’s b/t $400-500 a night plus resort fees.

It’s my wife’s favorite place. We sat outside and each ordered a “split” of champagne. It’s a tiny bottle. The bill came and it was $55 .

MCnParker

Reaction score
Santa Barbara is one of our ”go to” places and I know it well. My wife and I got married there 9 years ago and go back often for day trips and occasional overnighters. It’s also a destination for a buddy and I when we take the Harleys for a ride.

First question is how much do you want to spend per night?

The hotels across the street from the ocean on Cabrillo Blvd are pricey , but excellent. They are all 3-4 blocks from State St. and the pier. There are hotels right on State St too that would be fun. Not too far to stumble if you’ve been drinking. State St used to be a regular street. Most of it has been converted to walking only and the restaurants all put outdoor patios in the street. That was because of Covid, but it got left that way because everyone loved it.
Still trying to figure out budget, partially why I asked the question. Would prefer to spend the money on food and drinks and fun, rather than a bed in a square box. I have been looking at hotels on Cabrillo and other areas, I think we want to stay in that area. We will go on Monday, Tuesday so the prices are a little lower but not a lot. probably 200-300/ per night. If there is something that is worth it, than I would go more..

Mikes56

Reaction score
Still trying to figure out budget, partially why I asked the question. Would prefer to spend the money on food and drinks and fun, rather than a bed in a square box. I have been looking at hotels on Cabrillo and other areas, I think we want to stay in that area. We will go on Monday, Tuesday so the prices are a little lower but not a lot. probably 200-300/ per night. If there is something that is worth it, than I would go more..
I hate spending a lot of money on a room to just shower and sleep in. If it’s just me it’s Hotel 6, but my wife has higher standards than me lol.

530RL

Reaction score
If you want to be close to State Street but not on it, we stay at the Santa Barbara Inn. Right next to the Hilton and Hyatt DWC is speaking of. You can walk or Uber to State Street. It has a restaurant in it called Convivo that is pretty good.

Im not a fan of staying on State street as you pay a large premium for extra noise, but if you want to, The Hotel Californian is nice.

An excellent non-touristy Italian restaurant is called Toma. It is reasonable and very good. Make a reservation.

Joe's Cafe on State Street is good for Breakfast or Lunch.

I've never found Brophy Brothers that good and I am not a fan of waiting in line for a table, but it is popular .

If you want to go to a destination place in general Santa Barbara area, the Rosewood Miramar Beach in Montecito is very nice but pricey. It even has a "goop" store although they were out of the "special" candles as I wanted a dozen to give out as Christmas gifts. :(

If you want something more budget oriented, there is actually a pretty nice Motel 6 in Santa Barbara. Great location, clean and much cheaper than most places around it.

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
If you want to be close to State Street but not on it, we stay at the Santa Barbara Inn. Right next to the Hilton and Hyatt DWC is speaking of. You can walk or Uber to State Street. It has a restaurant in it called Convivo that is pretty good.

Im not a fan of staying on State street as you pay a large premium for extra noise, but if you want to, The Hotel Californian is nice.

An excellent non-touristy Italian restaurant is called Toma. It is reasonable and very good. Make a reservation.

I've never found Brophy Brothers that good and I am not a fan of waiting in line for a table, but it is popular .

If you want to go to a destination place in general Santa Barbara area, the Rosewood Miramar Beach in Montecito is very nice but pricey. It even has a "goop" store although they were out of the "special" candles as I wanted a dozen to give out as Christmas gifts. :(

If you want something more budget oriented, there is actually a pretty nice Motel 6 in Santa Barbara. Great location, clean and much cheaper than most places around it.

Ill 2nd Joes! Good cocktails too

Mikes56

Reaction score
Also look at the Harbor View Inn. It’s very nice and has great reviews. A little cheaper too. It’s 4-5 blocks from State St. and right across from the sand/ocean.

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
Moby dicks on the pier my favorite place for lunch , drive straight out the wharf

MCnParker

Reaction score

All good stuff, thank you. But you sir are in a different tax bracket than I am if you are staying at the Miramar...LOL

Gonefishin5555

Reaction score
Last time Thursday night one night stop I got a room at Castillo Inn for less than $100 that was during covid. It’s one hotel up from harbor. Summer prices go way up. Anything near state street on oceanfront but some are nicer than others check ratings and photos

530RL

Reaction score
All good stuff, thank you. But you sir are in a different tax bracket than I am if you are staying at the Miramar...LOL
I was there three weeks ago for a 300 person wedding for my neighbors daughter. Crazy. Nothing is worth that much money.

Take your wife to Toma and get the Rigatoni.

Reasonably priced and great food.

yz450mm

Reaction score
We like this place, easy walk to State Street and right across from the pier and the beach.

West Beach Inn, a Coast Hotel
(805) 963-4277

Go up to Cold Spring Tavern for lunch or a intimate dinner, it's worth the short drive up the mountain.

Cold Spring Tavern
(805) 967-0066

Run up to Isla Vista to have some great Mexican at Freebirds and hang out with the college crowd.

Freebirds
(805) 968-0123

TimeBandit

Reaction score
Ill 2nd Joes! Good cocktails too
Frankie the bartender has been there 40 years! (Francisco)

My friends and I hung out there in the mid 80's (not my thing but the bouncer sold coke).

We helped move Joe's to it's current location on the corner, It was mid block before the rent doubled.

Now I want to go up there

Last edited:
Reactions: DWC

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
If you're gonna do Solvang and all that jazz, check out The Hitching Post 2.

I've never been to this location, but I have been to the original Multiple times. Food is absolutely outstanding.

I wish I could remember the name. Haha. Picture worth a thousand words. But there is a small wine tasting place which is all good.
BUT
Their olive oils are off the hook. We left with about 8 different types. And the host was really nice and engaging.
924434EF-11F6-4429-A212-AFE523AF4717.jpeg

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I wish I could remember the name. Haha. Picture worth a thousand words. But there is a small wine tasting place which is all good.
BUT
Their olive oils are off the hook. We left with about 8 different types. And the host was really nice and engaging.
View attachment 1232354

Garlic and herb. Yum!

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
Cioppino at the Santa Barbara Shellfish Company (out on the end of the wharf).

Activated

Deplorable
Reaction score
Funny this thread popped up. My wife and I leave Sunday to drive to Santa Barbara from PHX for a couple days, then a couple of days in Pismo, with a final destination of San Jose for a graduation party next Friday. We are staying at the Beachside Inn in Santa Barbara and the Spyglass Inn when we are in Pismo. I have spent some time in the Central Coast in my younger days but my wife has never been. So I am looking forward to showing it to her. Having lived in PHX for most of her life, she is already afraid of temps in the high 60’s to low 70’s.

Planning the “Funk Zone” in Santa Barbara for wine tasting one day….already have my reservations for the Hitching Post in Casmalia for next Tuesday. Lol You have to go to the original one the first time for sure. I can’t wait for my wife to walk in to that place and not have cell reception. She never believed me when we would go there for work dinners and my phone didn’t work.

The rest of the trip is unplanned. We are taking her convertible and plan on just letting the day take us wherever it wants to for the most part. She is making sandwiches, snacks and packing some of our favorite bottles to “break in case of emergency.”

Should be a good trip.

Last edited:

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
Just got back from a week at Rincon Parkway RV camp. Bring warm clothes, it was overcast and cool all week. Not complaining, but my wardrobe was all shorts and T-shirts. BRRRRRRR

wzuber

Reaction score
BUT
View attachment 1232354
Demetria winery?

Morehart

Reaction score
Canary hotel. It's pricey. Stop by institution on state street, good beer and food. Or the sandbar also good food

framer1

Reaction score
Going to take the wife up to Santa Barbara for a night or two to get away from the kids and relax. Recommendations or places to avoid? We want to stay down close to the beach and preferably near or on State Street. All the reviews online are all over the place. Anyone with first hand experience or know of any hidden gems I should check out?

Thanks

Just stayed at Harbor View, really nice and decent price. 100' from the pier and nice ocean view. Also State street was rights around the corner. It was a Monday so the price will probably be higher on the weekend.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Canary hotel. It's pricey. Stop by institution on state street, good beer and food. Or the sandbar also good food
They have great beer and bomb pizza. The Mexican restaurant next to it is good also. And the steak house a few doors down.

Stopped by the other Institution on way home also.

Morehart

Reaction score
Spicey honey bacon pizza at institution is my favorite 😍

Morehart

Reaction score
East Beach tacos. There's a batting cage behind it if your into a fun date. Good tacos

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I loved there for a couple years when I went to Santa Barbara city college.. I doubt any of the places I went too would even be there now 20+years later

Activated

Deplorable
Reaction score
Funny this thread popped up. My wife and I leave Sunday to drive to Santa Barbara from PHX for a couple days, then a couple of days in Pismo, with a final destination of San Jose for a graduation party next Friday. We are staying at the Beachside Inn in Santa Barbara and the Spyglass Inn when we are in Pismo. I have spent some time in the Central Coast in my younger days but my wife has never been. So I am looking forward to showing it to her. Having lived in PHX for most of her life, she is already afraid of temps in the high 60’s to low 70’s.

Planning the “Funk Zone” in Santa Barbara for wine tasting one day….already have my reservations for the Hitching Post in Casmalia for next Tuesday. Lol You have to go to the original one the first time for sure. I can’t wait for my wife to walk in to that place and not have cell reception. She never believed me when we would go there for work dinners and my phone didn’t work.

The rest of the trip is unplanned. We are taking her convertible and plan on just letting the day take us wherever it wants to for the most part. She is making sandwiches, snacks and packing some of our favorite bottles to “break in case of emergency.”

Should be a good trip.
What a drive. Traffic off and on from Indio or so but at least the weather is nice. So we have that goin for us.

Got to our hotel and it is a Best Western…my wife was like wtf, it didn‘t say anything about it being a BW on their web site. 😂It is actually pretty decent, a little “beachy” if you know what I mean but we are staying. The location is walking distance to everything and we can see the pier from our balcony, although it is right on the road. Should be fun…off to find dinner, a view and some wine.
IMG_2299.jpeg
IMG_2301.jpeg
IMG_2302.jpeg

Dunerking

Reaction score
My wife and I’s 20th wedding anniversary is July 11th,so I Made reservations for the Ritz/Carlton in Santa Barbara(used my Marriott rewards points…only advantage of working out of town)and have been educating myself with all of your guys recommendations! Considering some reservations for either a nice Italian meal or something else that you guys would suggest.

HBCraig

Reaction score

Thanks
Stay at The Bacara. It's legit. Have stayed there a few times

Joker

Reaction score
Stay at The Bacara. It's legit. Have stayed there a few times
We worked there for 2 years with a mold remediation contractor. That place was literally falling apart not long after it was built.