WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Scat crank, Twin turbo

dnewps

Banned
Reaction score
So I picked up a boat with a 557ci twin turbo. Engine built in 1994 with excellent parts according to the build sheet...EXCEPT it lists a SCAT pro comp series 4.25” crank. Any chance SCAT was a good crank back then???

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Depends, How much boost you planning on runnin? 🤣

dnewps

Banned
Reaction score
900hp 7lbs?? I guess what I’m asking is ...in 1994 did scat make a high quality american made forged crank? Seems weird that all of the other parts are matched with a scat

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
I don’t know either I always thought they were made in China and machined over here.🤷‍♀️

Hammer

Reaction score
So I picked up a boat with a 557ci twin turbo. Engine built in 1994 with excellent parts according to the build sheet...EXCEPT it lists a SCAT pro comp series 4.25” crank. Any chance SCAT was a good crank back then???
My old man Ran several scat cranks in blower motors in the 90’s. Never had one let go.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
I know they were a big name in the 90’s and early 2000’s. Had a 383 with Scat crank and rods if i remember correctly (was for sure a scat crank), that gobbled the nitrous at 250hp at a time. Never a single issue with that engine rings and bearings every so often was it but that’s n02

bonesfab

Reaction score
Well they are all forged over in Chinka now days. So unless you want to spend 3-6k for a billet from Bryant, Crower or Scat, there are not many other choices. Scat supposedly has been finishing the forgings over here.

ChrisV

Reaction score
Get a new one from Bryant. Great cranks. Got a shop tour yesterday when picking my crank. Definitely cool procedure.

IMG-2811.jpg
IMG-2812.jpg
IMG-2814.jpg
IMG-2816.jpg
Made here in Anaheim CA.

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
900hp 7lbs?? I guess what I’m asking is ...in 1994 did scat make a high quality american made forged crank? Seems weird that all of the other parts are matched with a scat
I would say at 7 psi you will be alright, and I would probably run it myself. Turbos are not as brutal as a roots supercharger. There was a time in the mid 90's when Kryptonite cranks were not available, or at least as fast as I needed one, so I ran a Lunati with good results.

oldschool

Reaction score
I ran a Scat crank in a TT engine for a lot of years, 12-15 lbs of boost. I ended up detonating the thing and melting it down, but had nothing to do with the crank. I still have it, with the rod bearings welded to the journals and all.

cakemoto

Reaction score
No idea on the cranks ...but I have worked on Tom leab personal cars.

BDOUCET

Reaction score
The Scat Procomp's were cast cranks that sold for $200 back then. Scat does make some nice forged cranks but the procomp wasn't one. Hopefully the build sheet is wrong. Does it include a part number?

HBCraig

Reaction score
I ran one in a 383 in my Chevelle. Not one issue

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
Scat was a decent product back in the day. As also said, it lived there just fine for 26 years.

Don't screw with it.......

oldboatsrule

Reaction score
I would say at 7 psi you will be alright, and I would probably run it myself. Turbos are not as brutal as a roots supercharger. There was a time in the mid 90's when Kryptonite cranks were not available, or at least as fast as I needed one, so I ran a Lunati with good results.

Lunati cranks about that time were made from forgings at Cola (Crankshafts of LA) in Rancho Dominguez . I was one of the crank grinders and also did alot of the knife edging. One of the funnest workplaces ever !

Sonny Bryant makes a great product. The ONLY cranks to run for big power
20211114_125359.jpg

bonesfab

Reaction score
Lunati cranks about that time were made from forgings at Cola (Crankshafts of LA) in Rancho Dominguez . I was one of the crank grinders and also did alot of the knife edging. One of the funnest workplaces ever !

Sonny Bryant makes a great product. The ONLY cranks to run for big power View attachment 1069338

The mallory in that thing costs more than the crank. DAMN..

D19

Reaction score
Run it til it breaks.

SixD9R

Reaction score
Hey guys, my 2 cents is running a TT motor in a boat isn’t the same as running the very same engine in a car at the strip. The stress on the crank leaving the line with a tight suspension and a pair of slicks is higher than possible in a marine application.

Full disclosure- I’m not an engine builder but I did stay at a Holiday Inn express once or twice😁

Eliminator21vdrive

Reaction score
Hey guys, my 2 cents is running a TT motor in a boat isn’t the same as running the very same engine in a car at the strip. The stress on the crank leaving the line with a tight suspension and a pair of slicks is higher than possible in a marine application.

Full disclosure- I’m not an engine builder but I did stay at a Holiday Inn express once or twice😁
But for just a blip in time=Marine is like going up the grapevine WOT all day!

oldschool

Reaction score

Sonny Bryant makes a great product. The ONLY cranks to run for big power View attachment 1069338
I have a Cola crank that I ran in my turbo engine. Plan on using it in the blown engine I plan to build.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score

Marine application is way harder, especially in something where the prop bites.

Not to mention you cant run a drag car at wot for several miles.

welldigger00

Reaction score
I had my engine rebuilt this year, and the crank was cracked at #4 main journal. It was a Lunati, and I wasn’t running a ton of boost. Around 6 lbs, out of a roots blower. Strange deal, I was not happy none the less. We put in a Callies and that took four months to get. A simple refresh turned into a total rebuild. I had budgeted about 6k, ended up spending 25k! Thankfully I pulled the engine out before it broke, I’d have been totally screwed. I guess dart blocks are on major back order.

SixD9R

Reaction score
Marine application is way harder, especially in something where the prop bites.

Not to mention you cant run a drag car at wot for several miles.
Yes I have heard that. I probably shouldn’t argue with the experts but I have a hard time equating the stress on a crank of launching a 3000# car off the line to a prop that has an inherent amount of slip. I totally agree that there are few applications where you can run an engine as hard and long as marine.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Yes I have heard that. I probably shouldn’t argue with the experts but I have a hard time equating the stress on a crank of launching a 3000# car off the line to a prop that has an inherent amount of slip. I totally agree that there are few applications where you can run an engine as hard and long as marine.

In a car you are breaking nearly everything else before you break a crank.. axles, driveshafts, output shafts, input shafts etc.

Most big power cars have slip through the converter, or a slipper clutch anyway, not to mention slip at the tire.

Just Ducky

Reaction score
Not to jack the thread but I have a chevy forged steel crank p/ n 3967416 that if checks out good with a machine shop would be worth what dollar wise?

hman442

Reaction score
Interesting debate on whether a wheelie popping drag car launch or pushing a boat under constant load for hours is harder on a crank, etc., but I go back to "It's been in there for 27 years", probably going to be okay. This, assuming the previous owner(s) actually ran the boat.