WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

SCE is killing TOU-D-T at the end of the year!

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
Just a heads up as SCE sent me a letter today. I knew this was coming but thought I had another 2 years. For folks with solar, TOU-D-T gave us the most credit (noon to 6PM) for our over production of electricity. SCE is killing this rate plan. The available rate plans are below. It will be time to move to battery soon! Maybe Andy at Palomar (@BasilHayden) will chime in.

SCE TOU.JPG

LazyLavey

Reaction score
is TOU-T-D. buy back? google is crickets

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
is TOU-T-D. buy back? google is crickets

It's a rate plan. https://www.sce.com/residential/rates/Time-Of-Use-Residential-Rate-Plans

Peak on DT is (or soon to be was) Noon to 6 pm. So I was getting almost 2 to 1 benefit. Peak was something like 30 ish cents a kWh. So as I was pushing 3 kWh back to the grid, I could use the credit when my solar stopped producing at night. Rate drops to off beak and I use my credits.

Angler

Tritoon Racing
Reaction score
I received like $90 back after I had $800 credit from my solar... They are theives, but I'll take solar every day.

King295

Well-Known Inmate #20225
Reaction score
I don't have solar but recently received a notice that my plan was going to change to a Time-Of-Use plan. I logged onto SCE and opt'd out. They sent me a hard copy notice as well which showed my expected increase by automatically enrolling in the TOU plan.

Excerpt from the email:
The state of California is committed to using more clean, renewable power to help reduce carbon emissions and protect the environment. Time-Of-Use (TOU) plans encourage people to use energy at the times of day when renewable energy, like solar and wind, is the most abundant and at the lowest cost. With small changes in your energy habits, you can save money and help our state meet its clean energy goals.

In November 2021, you will be transitioned to a TOU rate plan, unless you take action to stay on your current Tiered rate plan.

Reactions: DWC

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
I don't have solar but recently received a notice that my plan was going to change to a Time-Of-Use plan. I logged onto SCE and opt'd out. They sent me a hard copy notice as well which showed my expected increase by automatically enrolling in the TOU plan.

Excerpt from the email:
The state of California is committed to using more clean, renewable power to help reduce carbon emissions and protect the environment. Time-Of-Use (TOU) plans encourage people to use energy at the times of day when renewable energy, like solar and wind, is the most abundant and at the lowest cost. With small changes in your energy habits, you can save money and help our state meet its clean energy goals.

In November 2021, you will be transitioned to a TOU rate plan, unless you take action to stay on your current Tiered rate plan.
With solar you have to be on a TOU for Net Metering. That way you get credit for the kWh you push back to the grid. At the end of your Net Metering year SCE only gives you 3 cents a kWh as cash back.

zhandfull

Reaction score
No solar here.

Received a SCE letter that said I could opt out of the new rate plan. New plan shows my annual cost going up by $20. I doubt that is correct as my household uses a lot of power between 5:00pm and 9:00pm. Likely be much more than they estimated.

I will opt out. Like my electric and AC available when I need it. No special rate plans for my household.

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
You should also have the option to go to TOU-D-Prime which is cheaper than the others during off peak times

You should also have the option to go to TOU-D-Prime which is cheaper than the others during off peak times

Hmmm, maybe I can.... I am coming from TOU-DT

Would TOU-D-PRIME be a good fit for me? Your home, your family size, your schedule, and your lifestyle all play a part in determining your electricity needs. If you have a large household or are considered a high-energy user, TOU-D-PRIME may be the best rate for you, if you also own or lease one or more of the following clean energy technologies: Electric or plug-in hybrid vehicle Residential battery Electric heat pump for water or space heating To be eligible to enroll in this rate plan option, you must have one or more of the clean energy technologies listed above, unless you are currently enrolled in TOU-D-A, TOU-D-B, or TOU-D-T rate plans.

SCE TOU Prime.JPG

Roaddawg

Reaction score
Hmmm, maybe I can.... I am coming from TOU-DT

Would TOU-D-PRIME be a good fit for me? Your home, your family size, your schedule, and your lifestyle all play a part in determining your electricity needs. If you have a large household or are considered a high-energy user, TOU-D-PRIME may be the best rate for you, if you also own or lease one or more of the following clean energy technologies: Electric or plug-in hybrid vehicle Residential battery Electric heat pump for water or space heating To be eligible to enroll in this rate plan option, you must have one or more of the clean energy technologies listed above, unless you are currently enrolled in TOU-D-A, TOU-D-B, or TOU-D-T rate plans.

View attachment 1057583

Pretty sure this is what I am going to do since I have TOU-D-T as well

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
Pretty sure this is what I am going to do since I have TOU-D-T as well

This is what SCE rate tool says.... But I don't trust their advice. Maybe Andy will get back to me. Prime will cost me more.
SCE TOU compare.JPG

Roaddawg

Reaction score
This is what SCE rate tool says.... But I don't trust their advice. Maybe Andy will get back to me. Prime will cost me more

Mine is telling me to go to the domestic plan...I don't trust that thing either

Last edited:

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
Mine is telling me to go to the domestic plan...I don't trust that thing either

I found this old email from Palomar.

What is Time-of-Use? TOU is one rate structure that charges more when electricity demand is at its peak and less when it’s plentiful. The Utility Company will determine what the price is, depending on the time of the day that you are using it.​

Palomar Solar is advising our solar customers to IMMEDIATELY switch your billing structure to TOU-DT. According to the Utility Company, you will be grandfathered into this new rate structure for 5 years.​

This specific TOU option provides a loophole to maximize your PV system. Selling your energy to the Utility at peak rates and buying the energy back at a lower rate on non-peak hours.This loophole will not be available for much longer and may even be gone by the end THIS month.​

To switch over to TOU-DT you need to call Southern California Edison, you can find step by step instructions here. TOU-DT is the best rate schedule for you to go on, no matter what The Utility may suggest. The Utility does not always sway in the direction of your best interest, but rather theirs.​

We will always keep you informed and be an advocate for you in the ever changing world of Utility rules and regulations.​

If you go to prime you will only get 19 cents a kWh with your over production of solar.

TOUPrime.JPG

If you go with TOU D 4 to 9 you will get 30 cents per kWh for the extra kWh you produce. I push about 3 kWh when things are prime for solar. So I think I would loose out going with Prime a 19 cents. Not sure what to do.

tou4to9.JPG

Roaddawg

Reaction score
I found this old email from Palomar.

What is Time-of-Use? TOU is one rate structure that charges more when electricity demand is at its peak and less when it’s plentiful. The Utility Company will determine what the price is, depending on the time of the day that you are using it.​

Palomar Solar is advising our solar customers to IMMEDIATELY switch your billing structure to TOU-DT. According to the Utility Company, you will be grandfathered into this new rate structure for 5 years.​

This specific TOU option provides a loophole to maximize your PV system. Selling your energy to the Utility at peak rates and buying the energy back at a lower rate on non-peak hours.This loophole will not be available for much longer and may even be gone by the end THIS month.​

To switch over to TOU-DT you need to call Southern California Edison, you can find step by step instructions here. TOU-DT is the best rate schedule for you to go on, no matter what The Utility may suggest. The Utility does not always sway in the direction of your best interest, but rather theirs.​

We will always keep you informed and be an advocate for you in the ever changing world of Utility rules and regulations.​

If you go to prime you will only get 19 cents a kWh with your over production of solar.

View attachment 1057654

If you go with TOU D 4 to 9 you will get 30 cents per kWh for the extra kWh you produce. I push about 3 kWh when things are prime for solar. So I think I would loose out going with Prime a 19 cents. Not sure what to do.

View attachment 1057655

According to SCE the 5-8 plan will cost me $569 per year...Hopefully Basil Hayden will chime in.

76sanger

Reaction score
The state of California is committed to using more clean, renewable power to help reduce carbon emissions and protect the environment.
WHAT CALIFORNIA IS SAYING IS.....WE CAN "CONTROL" YOU HERE SOON!

BasilHayden

Reaction score
In both your cases I would recommend the Domestic plan. Your systems should pretty much cover your usage. I would stay away from other TOU plans if you can as they have been designed against solar. Pretty sure the team that designed your last plan were buried in the desert. That was the best deal ever for you, but they realized it in just a few months and immediately cancelled the plan.

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
In both your cases I would recommend the Domestic plan. Your systems should pretty much cover your usage. I would stay away from other TOU plans if you can as they have been designed against solar. Pretty sure the team that designed your last plan were buried in the desert. That was the best deal ever for you, but they realized it in just a few months and immediately cancelled the plan.

Per the SCE letter I got the form must be turned in by Nov 15, 2021 to switch to Domestic Tiered rate plan!

Domestic Tiered
This rate plan is available for residential solar customers who are considered Net Energy Metering (NEM) 1.0 customers and residential customers not on Net Energy Metering (non-NEM). It is a more traditional billing plan where the best way to keep energy costs low is to limit your total energy consumption. Although customers are not being automatically transitioned to this rate, it may be a better option for some customers. NEM 2.0 customers are not eligible for the Domestic Tiered rate.

Last edited:

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
SCE blackouts in the 805 may be back.
Just got the warning text.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I went from a credit every year to now this. We are adding a pool shortly too. So now I’m not sure which direction to go. But thinking domestic is the way to go?

113A2741-F196-4DBE-808E-CF2D24E415C1.jpeg

BasilHayden

Reaction score
I went from a credit every year to now this. We are adding a pool shortly too. So now I’m not sure which direction to go. But thinking domestic is the way to go?

View attachment 1057890
Bill,

Looks like you are using a bit more power than years past, not sure. If you stay on D then batteries are not going to help, would merely give you some off grid ability during a blackout. Batteries can help, not eliminate, but help with TOU rates. If you are adding a pool it will get substantially worse. I don't remember you having room for much more on your roof. For some reason I recall we maxed you out?

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
This is my last bill. I am 6 months into my net metering. So next year I just won't be getting the extra money for the higher TOU DT rates I was getting for selling back my overproduction at the higher price. I think that is the way it works.

sce bill.JPG

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Bill,

Looks like you are using a bit more power than years past, not sure. If you stay on D then batteries are not going to help, would merely give you some off grid ability during a blackout. Batteries can help, not eliminate, but help with TOU rates. If you are adding a pool it will get substantially worse. I don't remember you having room for much more on your roof. For some reason I recall we maxed you out?
I have tons of room on the flat roof garage and front patio. We also will be building a patio cover in the backyard 32’x10’ pitched like the roof.
Due to not getting jack shit back in credits we made it a point to use as much energy as we could to stay as close to zero as possible. I could dial it back some, But would most likely just add more panels.

Only limitation I recall is at the panel in regards to feed lines. We did a 150 main but the panel is set up for 200 plus.

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
Update.... So I mailed in my opt out of TOU on Oct 11. On Oct 22 I get this email from SCE.

Your current rate TOU-D-T has been discontinued and is no longer available. In December 2021, your service account will automatically transition to your lowest cost Time-of-Use (TOU) rate plan based on your usage history from August 2020 to July 2021. Your new peak period on your new TOU rate runs from 4 p.m. - 9 p.m.

In 2018, SCE started offering rates with TOU peak periods that better align with California’s adoption of cleaner resources to generate energy, and the cost to deliver power throughout the day. TOU peak periods are now later in the day, when less renewable resources are available, but demand for energy is still high.

To help ease the transition to the new TOU periods, your service account was not initially affected by this change in 2018. Instead, your account continued to be served on the then-existing rate plan.

So I call SCE the next day and talk to a rep. The Rep can't tell me if they received my opt out. I ask him to just change me to Domestic Tier Jan 1st 2022. He says he can't and asks me why I don't want the TOU plan SCE has chosen for me. After 5 mins of going around in circles he finally agrees to have my rate change to Domestic on the 1st. I plan on doing follow up in January as my guess is I still will be on a TOU plan of SCE choosing.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Update.... So I mailed in my opt out of TOU on Oct 11. On Oct 22 I get this email from SCE.

Your current rate TOU-D-T has been discontinued and is no longer available. In December 2021, your service account will automatically transition to your lowest cost Time-of-Use (TOU) rate plan based on your usage history from August 2020 to July 2021. Your new peak period on your new TOU rate runs from 4 p.m. - 9 p.m.

In 2018, SCE started offering rates with TOU peak periods that better align with California’s adoption of cleaner resources to generate energy, and the cost to deliver power throughout the day. TOU peak periods are now later in the day, when less renewable resources are available, but demand for energy is still high.

To help ease the transition to the new TOU periods, your service account was not initially affected by this change in 2018. Instead, your account continued to be served on the then-existing rate plan.

So I call SCE the next day and talk to a rep. The Rep can't tell me if they received my opt out. I ask him to just change me to Domestic Tier Jan 1st 2022. He says he can't and asks me why I don't want the TOU plan SCE has chosen for me. After 5 mins of going around in circles he finally agrees to have my rate change to Domestic on the 1st. I plan on doing follow up in January as my guess is I still will be on a TOU plan of SCE choosing.
Just received our notice via email. We have to have our new plan picked buy Nov 8. I believe it takes affect right after. Need to look at it again.

RVRKID

Reaction score
Ok so I was comparing my January bills and this year is quite a bit higher but how the hell do you read this shit?
CB7364AD-7F4B-4F15-8AD3-4CF598BD97D3.jpeg
6B4895B8-94BE-437B-A69B-979DF58F2801.jpeg

RVRKID

Reaction score
But my year to date is -$330 this year and last year was only -$150

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
We use 9000 KWH per year - our Solar system w/power-wall produces 16000.

With system degradation over time and expected more draw as we transition to elect vehicles home charging we over-sized.
Not without being hassled by So Cal Edison.

Tale is Edison has a glut of excess power because of so much available solar dumping into the grid.
We also got the impression Edison doesn’t want customers to have 100% off-grid capability.

Tesla customer service was very clever and helpful with pushing back against Edison and in so many ways.

Good Stuff

Reaction score
I just had to opt out of the rate change for the second time in 4 months even though the guy said they would ask me for 12 months. They really want us on their new plan but all the estimates show my bill will double. Crappy part is that the opt out page isn’t even something I can get to from within my account.

rrrr

Reaction score
The state of California is committed to using more clean, renewable power to help reduce carbon emissions and protect the environment.
WHAT CALIFORNIA IS SAYING IS.....WE CAN "CONTROL" YOU HERE SOON!
That "clean, renewable power" is the reason SCE has a tiered usage scheme, blackouts, and the highest residential rates in the US.

It's only going to get worse.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
I have tons of room on the flat roof garage and front patio. We also will be building a patio cover in the backyard 32’x10’ pitched like the roof.
Due to not getting jack shit back in credits we made it a point to use as much energy as we could to stay as close to zero as possible. I could dial it back some, But would most likely just add more panels.

Only limitation I recall is at the panel in regards to feed lines. We did a 150 main but the panel is set up for 200 plus.
I looked into all this about a year ago, want to own a system, and construct it myself with batteries for the evening. City of Mission Viejo limits you to 10,000 watts. If I can get 15,000 I could shut the meter off but that is also a bunch of nope in this town.
After you finish your pool just maybe there is a path to add more but rest assured they are dicks about it.

All this shit is designed to pay Edison in some way.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
That "clean, renewable power" is the reason SCE has a tiered usage scheme, blackouts, and the highest residential rates in the US.

“ we have the highest rates in the US” gets brought up allot by some of us.

socal0487

Reaction score
With solar you have to be on a TOU for Net Metering. That way you get credit for the kWh you push back to the grid. At the end of your Net Metering year SCE only gives you 3 cents a kWh as cash back.
Why do you have to be on TOU? I’ve been on DOMESTIC since I bought the house and get a check from edison each year.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Why do you have to be on TOU? I’ve been on DOMESTIC since I bought the house and get a check from edison each year.
TOU was way better than domestic until SCE changed it late last year. I picked domestic now as it was the lowest estimated increase of $200. F’ SCE

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score

Meanwhile, my rate just went up 10%…I pay 11 cents / kWh now 😐😊

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
The bullshit part is that we have to act in order to stay on the same plan. As a consumer what happened to "I'll tell you when and what". F sce, I forgot to send mine in.

Activated

Deplorable
Reaction score
How does SCE determine what your “baseline” is?

I have looked all over their web site and asked the question of their chat bot and can’t find an answer.

Singleton

Reaction score
How does SCE determine what your “baseline” is?

I have looked all over their web site and asked the question of their chat bot and can’t find an answer.

I know for SDG&E your baseline is based on the year your house was built and average usage for that first year of service. Total scam. My house was built in 75 and the baseline is based on that. When I called to ask why are baselines are not adjusted I got a BS answer.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Mine is around 5,000. I'm gonna replace our windows. The cold weather really reveals how shitty they are.
Ok I feel a little better. A lot of my friends think that usage is crazy LOL

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
Pretty soon I'm betting your solar panels become the property of the electric company. They will control how much you can use then cut you off

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
So I just got my 12 month Net Meter bill. I had about 8 months on the new TOU D rate. Bill really did not change that much accept for me being eligible for the "CARE" program. A heads up for anyone caring for their adult disabled children or relatives on SSI. You can qualify for the CARE program (both Electric / Gas) if anyone living with you is disabled on SSI. https://www.sce.com/residential/assistance/care-fera. I always over produce and only owe the being connected to the grid cost. The CARE knocked it down from 10 bucks a month to 5. Can't thank Andy ( @BasilHayden )and Palomar enough for the system they built me that keeps on delivering.

Capture.JPG