WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

SCE rate plans and "TOU"

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
It seems that recently my SCE bill has migrated into not only what I consume, but now WHEN I consume it, and its effectively doubled my electric bill. We get home (or really off of work since we work from home most of the time now with covid) around 5pm and now with the season thats also when things start getting dark. So naturally lights are on, kids come home, tv's get turned on, computers, etc... I've already gone thru the house and swapped to LED lights, we keep the heat at like 68* (even though thats gas I'm considering a fan running), we have a fairly new fridge, fairly new washer/dryer and even then the dryer is gas. To make matters even worse I keep getting these pamphlets sent to me with like "heres what you use and heres the comparison to your neighbors." Apparently my neighbors either sit around in the dark and wash their clothes in a bucket and read the paper by candlelight or something. I've gone around the house turning things off and checking our digital meter and its not like much has changed consumption wise. Similar read out compared to years ago...

Are you all getting the same results?

TOU_Rates_TOU-D-4-9PM-Winter-WD_2.jpg

grumpy88

Reaction score
Nope . Not anymore ! I think we are .10 flat rate right now in nevada . My wife is home all day and ac set in the mid 70's and its 120 outside and our bill was less then 250 .

outboard_256

Reaction score
How much is your monthly bill? Since I went solar I don't have to worry about electricity bills. If your paying enough monthly it will save you money to go solar.

Reactions: TPC

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
How much is your monthly bill? Since I went solar I don't have to worry about electricity bills. If your paying enough monthly it will save you money to go solar.

This is and isn't true (I'm in the industry). Depending on the NEM agreement in place it may benefit him to do it...and if so the ROI could be really short on it if purchased outright and not financed with a high lender fee finance company. You still have to watch what you do, and what buyback rates and times are..solar will only produce what it is going to and needs to be sized correctly in order to be effective.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
My bill keeps going up as well, employee discount should kick in soon.

4Waters

Reaction score
Yup our bill today said we use 68% more than our neighbors, well since we have a pool and they don't I expect to use more but my average bill is 150. I come home from working in the elements and I want to be comfortable, I don't want to come home to an 82°+ house in July nor do I want to come home to a cold 65° house in Feb either. Summer months the t-stat is set at 77° through the day and 72° at night, in the winter the t-stat is 70° during the day and 66° at night

RCDave

Reaction score
Did you opt to have that smart meter installed? Once you do that, they can monitor your usage and when you use it. And bend you over. .smart for them, not for you.

Last edited:

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
Lol...those letters are bullshit. Get them for gas as well. Tell me my neighbors use way less than me is complete bullshit. Fucking lies. I hear my neighbors a/c rollin way more than mine. I watch my shit like a hawk. Turn my pool off and on manually. Thermostat at focking 78-80 in Summer...house stay cool. LEDs all around...yadda yadda yadda. My bill will still be pushing 200 this month. Shit used to be like 100ish during the Winter months.

Flatsix66

Reaction score
Get an electric car (or say you have one) and the rates change.
Image 1-13-21 at 5.58 PM.jpg

johnnyC

Reaction score
i was in the same position as you were a couple of years ago, sce came out with the smart meter and changed mine and my electric bill doubled and converted to led's tried to conserve and when i got my bill sce was always to comparing my bill with my frugal neighbors....what a crock of shit!!!!!!! I hac a 4800 sq ft and the average house size in the community i lived in were anywhere from 1800 to 3000 sq ft..... at this time your only bet is to put up solar pannels and batterys and basicly be off the grid...... batterys are pricey....... at my present house i put up solar pannels, best thing i ever did,but being older i may not see a pay off on them but sce or pg&e wont be getting my money.... as time go's foward people who dont have some type of generation will be paying through the nose the only bright side to this is if you get pannels its not wasted money like a monthly recurring bill

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
Get an electric car (or say you have one) and the rates change. View attachment 961464

This is my plan.. I start charging my car at 9pm. In total, my monthly electric bills have gone up 40% with charging my car at night. That sounds high but it only works out to be $80-$100 more a month. 15 cents a KW/A is pretty reasonable.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Yup our bill today said we use 68% more than our neighbors, well since we have a pool and they don't I expect to use more but my average bill is 150. I come home from working in the elements and I want to be comfortable, I don't want to come home to an 82°+ house in July nor do I want to come home to a cold 65° house in Feb either. Summer months the t-stat is set at 77° through the day and 72° at night, in the winter the t-stat is 70° during the day and 66° at night
Are you on the pay plan?

SoCalDave

Reaction score
When they, SCE changed the peak demand hours to 4-9pm didn't it screw people with solar?

SoCalDave

Reaction score
At work we are on the BIP rate at average of .118c per kwh...average bill is still $53k per month. 😠

Flatsix66

Reaction score
Crazy how expensive California is. APS in Arizona is $.04x off peak and $06x on peak in winter, bit more in summer.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
I just posted on FB about this a couple days ago. We paid cash and own our solar outright. I am running a 3KW system and my 12 month bill has been $500-$700 since we got it. This year it is $1300!!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Lol...those letters are bullshit. Get them for gas as well. Tell me my neighbors use way less than me is complete bullshit. Fucking lies. I hear my neighbors a/c rollin way more than mine. I watch my shit like a hawk. Turn my pool off and on manually. Thermostat at focking 78-80 in Summer...house stay cool. LEDs all around...yadda yadda yadda. My bill will still be pushing 200 this month. Shit used to be like 100ish during the Winter months.

Truth. The letters are just propaganda.

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
For those interested in moving to TN. Just looked at last June bill. June is hot and muggy. 1600sqft house. Keep it at 75 day 68 night. $79.62 $.16 per kw. We do get a couple of dollars a month off due to the hydroelectric plant at the dam.

boatpi

Reaction score
On Solar in Vegas, NV Energy bill is $10.50 a month. Four pool pumps, 3 AC units, bill never changes.

BasilHayden

Reaction score
The TOU rates are here to stay, if you let us size the solar properly it can be controlled and see full paybacks in a reasonable period, think 3-7 years depending on usage. Unless you insist on charging the car from 4-9 pm. Pools etc should also be moved out of that time zone for max returns. Joe unfortunately a 3kw system in the Temecula region is much to small.

Batteries will soon be an add on to most all jobs, this will take the sting out of the TOU rates and provide the ability to deal with the BS power outages with less pain. Essential circuits will remain up, pools and AC go down.

Roaddawg

Reaction score
I just posted on FB about this a couple days ago. We paid cash and own our solar outright. I am running a 3KW system and my 12 month bill has been $500-$700 since we got it. This year it is $1300!!

My system is a 9.3kw and I dont really try to conserve energy/run the pool all day and I have gotten money back from sce every year since we had it installed in 2016. Like Basil said your system is small but it's better than nothing

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
The TOU rates are here to stay, if you let us size the solar properly it can be controlled and see full paybacks in a reasonable period, think 3-7 years depending on usage. Unless you insist on charging the car from 4-9 pm. Pools etc should also be moved out of that time zone for max returns. Joe unfortunately a 3kw system in the Temecula region is much to small.

Batteries will soon be an add on to most all jobs, this will take the sting out of the TOU rates and provide the ability to deal with the BS power outages with less pain. Essential circuits will remain up, pools and AC go down.
I went into it knowing it was a small system. We crunched numbers and it worked for us at the time since we were paying cash and had a budget.

If you want to give me a call, I would like to look into adding battery backup and some additional panels.

I will PM you my number.