WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Schiada 22 Cavitation Advice

Brokeboatin221

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm working on a 73 Schiada 22 jet converting it to v-drive and just wondering what's my best bet and most cost effective bet to go about my hull blocks/shaft and turn buckles and what not. Plates I can make but what dollar amount should I be expecting to spend? I have a guy willing to sell me shaft blocks/shaft and turn buckles for 500 which seem to be what I need but I want to do this once and not spend 500 on a paper weight. Thanks for any insight.. also looking for someone to do glasswork in the high desert or inland empire if anyone has some suggestions on anyone chime in please. Thank you much!

lenmann

Reaction score
Rigging specs will depend on what kind of power you plan to run. 80's era cavitation plate and prop shaft rigging was built around 500-ish horsepower engines.

Modern Schiada rigging is often engineered for 1000 HP and beyond. This usually means less strut angle, larger diameter prop shaft, more aft or external rudder location, and much longer and stiffer cav plates with more robust hardware.

I am guessing the $500 cav package you mention is of 80's era design which will be ok for lower HP applications. A modern era cav plate set up is substantially more expensive.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Just make sure the turn buckles are all correct length, on a 22 the cav bar/shaft will normally sit about 6-7" above a line drawn across the transom from the outside chines

BamBam

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm working on a 73 Schiada 22 jet converting it to v-drive and just wondering what's my best bet and most cost effective bet to go about my hull blocks/shaft and turn buckles and what not. Plates I can make but what dollar amount should I be expecting to spend? I have a guy willing to sell me shaft blocks/shaft and turn buckles for 500 which seem to be what I need but I want to do this once and not spend 500 on a paper weight. Thanks for any insight.. also looking for someone to do glasswork in the high desert or inland empire if anyone has some suggestions on anyone chime in please. Thank you much!

You need to make sure that not only the turnbuckle length is correct across the whole hull but that the holes are in the proper location. The 22' schiada bottom id different than all other manufactures. Plates and shaft from a 21 or 22 schiada will work all others may only have parts that work for you. These are usually custom pieces built for each boat specifically.

Will you be recessing the plates? Are the recess' already in the hull?

Brokeboatin221

Reaction score
Thank you for all the good info guys, I'm starting to consider spending more and doing it once.... Racey haven't you made several setups for this particular boat or was I thinking of someone else? If so would you want to make another lol. I don't have access to a CNC or lathe or mill or I would love to try to come up with my own. Thanks again for the measurements that will help.