WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Schiada flatbottom question...

1homeblown

Reaction score
How thick is the botttom of the boat (flatbottom) at the transom? I need to drill/cut a drain hole in my transom but want to get an idea of how thick the bottom of the boat is at the transom.

Thanks for the help

1homeblown

Last edited:

RyanPartridge

Reaction score
I think it could vary...

Are you installing a J-drain? I'd drill from the inside, flush with the floor so water drains out smooth.

1homeblown

Reaction score
I think it could vary...

Are you installing a J-drain? I'd drill from the inside, flush with the floor so water drains out smooth.

Hi Ryan,
No J-drains for me. I don't like the idea of anything getiing stuck in one and causing it to be a fill instead of a drain. As far as drilling it from the inside, there are two things that I am concerned with...
Angle of the cut &
Messing the floor up with the drill-chuck on the inside.

I haven't ruled it out tho. I just want to be as comfortable as I can be while doing it. I am certainly not a professional and am SCARED as hell to scratch/drill/cut what I've spent so much time on! I just need to grow a set and do it...:cry::violin:

Anyone have a flat they can kind of eyeball or measure the thickness of the floor at the transom :rolleyes: ?

Thanks for the input Ryan. :thumbsup

RyanPartridge

Reaction score
I hear you man. I don't have J Drains either.

I wanted a bilge pump but my boat never ran one. I didn't like the idea of drilling a new hole in my transom for the thru hull. I almost just decided against using a pump until I tried using an existing hole on the side that used to be a gas vent before my boat had flip top caps that vent themselves. It all worked out. :thumbsup

I'll be able to measure my boat for you when I get to Parker on the 18th...

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
If you are worried about nicking up / scratching the floor, you might be able to use some thin metal flashing material to put between the drill chuck and the floor.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
probably about 7/8" start a little high with a small pin hole. you have to get way high to get out shape.

1homeblown

Reaction score
I hear you man. I don't have J Drains either.

I wanted a bilge pump but my boat never ran one. I didn't like the idea of drilling a new hole in my transom for the thru hull. I almost just decided against using a pump until I tried using an existing hole on the side that used to be a gas vent before my boat had flip top caps that vent themselves. It all worked out. :thumbsup

I'll be able to measure my boat for you when I get to Parker on the 18th...

Thanks Ryan. Mine had a vent hole as well but 3 foot stress cracks came along with it. It was filled and the cracks were cut out and fixed. I still have the dilemma for the dump(s). I was hoping to have it dump out of the side next to the driver but the side of the boat seems to be extremely thin...
I'm not even sure how the water will be routed due to the oil/trans cooler, intercooler, strainer and bilge pump. I have two dumps off of the transom that I will use and am hoping that will be enough. Seems as though I'm going to have damn near the same amount of plumbing as my old turbo-motor!!

If you are worried about nicking up / scratching the floor, you might be able to use some thin metal flashing material to put between the drill chuck and the floor.

RogerThat99,
I read you on protecting the floor but my problem with that is the angle at which the cutting bit will be at when I do it. I have a brass sleeve that will be installed and it needs to go into a straight hole. Again...I'm a wood-butcher and am just trying to be as cautious as possible.:D

probably about 7/8" start a little high with a small pin hole. you have to get way high to get out shape.

Racey,
I kinda "redneck" measured the floor on the drivers side on the outside of the stringer throught the cav-rod hole with a small c-clamp. I know its a ROUGH measurement but I got 3/4". I know I'm splittin hairs here but would it be different at the centere of the boat with 7/8"?

Thanks everyone for the info.

Steve

OHHH YAAA

Reaction score
I say you go with no drain plug. As long as all the fittings are tight you should be fine.:D

1homeblown

Reaction score
I say you go with no drain plug. As long as all the fittings are tight you should be fine.:D

Now Dana...
Did you forget who you're talking to? I've been told all of my life that I could F up an earthquake. :D

OHHH YAAA

Reaction score
I have faith in you!! Since I don't get out from under my rock (so called house) to come by do you have any updated pics? Is it ready to get wet? I got a new ski helmet just for "the occasion".

1homeblown

Reaction score
I have faith in you!! Since I don't get out from under my rock (so called house) to come by do you have any updated pics? Is it ready to get wet? I got a new ski helmet just for "the occasion".

Lol!! I took it by Schiada about two weeks ago hoping that I had done al I could do to it. They kinda laughed at me. Needless to say its back in my garage. I just cut the drain-hole today...it only took me 4 hours :grumble: because I was so damn scared I'd thrash it. It came out good tho. So my next step is to wetsand it down. Not looking forward to it. Kind of burnt out on getting my fat-ass in and out of it so many times!:moon: But I will carry on. I am currently waiting on a new Superchiller to arrive soon!
As far as any updated pictures go, they would not show much so I haven't taken any. Once I'm done wetsanding and polishing, I'll post some pictures of that. Plenty of time to break in the new brain-bucket of yours! :D

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
How thick is the botttom of the boat (flatbottom) at the transom? I need to drill/cut a drain hole in my transom but want to get an idea of how thick the bottom of the boat is at the transom.

Thanks for the help

1homeblown

Can't u remove one of the cav plate bolts and measure that way?

1homeblown

Reaction score
Can't u remove one of the cav plate bolts and measure that way?

Hi Dave,
I took measurements from the pillow-block holes in the center of the transom. It worked :thumbsup :champagne:. It now has a 1" drain-hole. The only holes that the boat has in it as of now are the holes for the pillow-blocks.

:party2: