WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Schiada. Whats it worth?

Havexico

In a world of no rules..
Reaction score
Without going into reasons as to why, I need a concensus of the ballpark worth of this boat. It was used as the Camera boat in the movie "the great outdoors". Originally (as the story goes), it was suppossed to be the boat actually used in he movie except that the director wanted to use a boat with a bigger motor. The bow of the boat was cut out for the Camera and then replaced after the filming. A friend of mine worked on the movie and then bought the boat after. The boat has "Suck my wake" on it which is why it was liked by the director. Then they painted the other boat with the same name.

The boat has been used since the 80's without any upgrades or major/minor work. The upholstry was replaced and is now white i believe. The motor is a Johnson GT 200 V6. The boat was in the water last summer and ran great. I dont know about the hours on the motor. The boat is trailered with an Ellis. The situation as to why Im looking for a ballpark is a sticky situation and maybe i will get into it later. Any help would be appreciated. Sorry about the pictures. They are all I have.

403schiada1.jpg

403schiada.jpg

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
The deck looks a little different then a normal Schiada? The gunnels where it comes up off the bow is straight across? That and there's no non skid on the deck. Is that the area that was cut and replaced?

RD

Havexico

In a world of no rules..
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, the cut is made at about the 2nd red line in. It goes all the way around to where the bow starts to slant upward to the driver. It is removable still but it takes alot of uncrewing. And yes, it doesnt have the Cambell/Schiada non skid deck.

R

Retired Member

From what I was told, it's a 20' that was used as a camera boat for the movie "The Great Outdoors", thus the name suck my wake on the side. They cut the deck out of it to mount the camera. It has an outboard well on it that makes the seat area smaller. It's really not worth much, it was for sale a couple years ago. I want to say it was in the 5k range.

If your are looking for a good OB around that price, there is a 19' GMT for sale on boattraderonline.com that is located in Havasu, for 7k.

Havexico

In a world of no rules..
Reaction score
You might be right that its a 20. I dont think it was for sale, since I know the owner. Also I would think the motor alone would be worth 5000.:hmm

R

Retired Member

You might be right that its a 20. I dont think it was for sale, since I know the owner. Also I would think the motor alone would be worth 5000.:hmm

Ask the owner, if it was for sale. It could have been a few years ago. I know a camera boat from the movie was for sale. It sat on a blue single axle trailer. That motor is only worth about $2500.

GT Johnson 200hp - Scream And Fly Powerboat and High Performance Powerboating Discussion Forums

I'd be interested to hear if it was for sale, if not there is another one that was used as a camera boat, that looked exactly the same.

Also the whole front part of the deck was cut out, thats why the rise in the deck doesn't look like a normal 20 Schiada.

SuperDave013

Reaction score
lets see, what's a 30+ year old cut up Schiada 20 (yes that is a 20 with out question) with a big ol Johnny on the back worth??

Well there are much better outboard hulls around and much better outboard power then that ol GT 200. So with that in mind I donno, 4~5K or so.

Shame the deck's been whacked.

DeltaSigBoater

This is... Legendary!
Reaction score

Ask the owner, if it was for sale. It could have been a few years ago. I know a camera boat from the movie was for sale. It sat on a blue single axle trailer. That motor is only worth about $2500.

http://forums.screamandfly.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141692

I'd be interested to hear if it was for sale, if not there is another one that was used as a camera boat, that looked exactly the same.

Also the whole front part of the deck was cut out, thats why the rise in the deck doesn't look like a normal 20 Schiada.

$2500 of that size, brand, and vintage is about right, be ready spend a small fortune on a new outboard:rolleyes:

whiteworks

Custom Shutters by WhiteWorks
Reaction score
IMO if the motor has a clean bill of health I would safely place a value of $3500. on the entire package. You could definatly trade it off for a dirt bike or somthing to a young guy come summer. getting decent cash out of that boat may be difficult.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I dunno what it'd be worth, being that it's a cut up Schiada.. but if it's a running boat in good condition, it's gotta be worth more then 3500.00

RD

Havexico

In a world of no rules..
Reaction score
I think from what im getting here is that the boat is not really worth over 5000.00.

Im not in the market for the boat. The boat was impounded. The owner has turned out to be a deadbeat dad. The x wife ( a great person) was wondering if its worth it for her to go after the boat and sell it so that she could make life easier on her and the two little daughters (of the dead beat). Seems the guy has chosen drugs to be more important than his kids. She offered to pay the 2 grand to get it out of impound if he would let her sell it. He said no

Im finding that it wouldnt be a good investment for her.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
If the deck hadn't been cut out and changed it would probably be worth more like 7-8 g's if it was clean, but in the condition it is in no more than 5 i'd say, probably more like ~$3,500