WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

School Athletes Getting Paid

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
College athletes getting paid for the use of their name and number. Most of the kids that play football are street smart. There is only a few that are front runners and will make any money. How long do you think it will be until the front line wants its cut to hold up protection. No pay, you get your ass crushed. I think this is a bad idea and is going to blow up and going to be a shit show.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I think it had to be done.....

Colleges and the NCAA are making billions off these kids and it's only fair they can get paid off those profits....Alot of these football and basketball kids come from zero and need some financial help and thats how they end up in trouble.

I do think it's going to be a slippery slope and will need to be heavily managed. Some of these kids will need agents,managers and accountants. Over all I think small percentage will actually make real $$$.

Bad news is you will see boosters now over paying kids "legally" to advertise a business when the only real goal is getting them to there college.

Englewood

Reaction score
Bad idea...The schools are providing them upwards of $250k (tuition/housing/food/books/travel/clothing/etc.), and the ability to showcase their talents for the next level where they can make insane amounts of money.

This is going to make it nearly impossible for smaller schools to recruit top athletes. Schools like Bama, Ohio State, Etc. will simply recruit players on their ability to market the player. This will make college sports into the "Have's and Have Not's".

Let's say a kid wants to stay home in San Diego and play football for SDSU. Texas comes along and says we can market you through our network of alumni and promise you a yearly income of at least $500k. Johnny Oil Tycoon, one of our backers, will have you come appear at his company party for $500k.

Danger Dave

Sarcastically Optimistic 😁
Reaction score
Bad idea...The schools are providing them upwards of $250k (tuition/housing/food/books/travel/clothing/etc.), and the ability to showcase their talents for the next level where they can make insane amounts of money.

This is going to make it nearly impossible for smaller schools to recruit top athletes. Schools like Bama, Ohio State, Etc. will simply recruit players on their ability to market the player. This will make college sports into the "Have's and Have Not's".

Let's say a kid wants to stay home in San Diego and play football for SDSU. Texas comes along and says we can market you through our network of alumni and promise you a yearly income of at least $500k. Johnny Oil Tycoon, one of our backers, will have you come appear at his company party for $500k.

Wait until a female shot put athlete at Texas sues for her share of the money under some sort of Title 9 case. Each NFL team should pick 1 NCAA D1 school and run it as a Minor league affiliate. Players are paid, similar to minor leaguers in other sports. The other schools remain as amateurs.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Should just weed out the degenerates sooner. :)

lebel409

Reaction score
I don't see the problem. The athletes have all dealt with privelege, talent, jealousy, favoritism, etc since elementary school. Having a freshman get a spot on the travel team, bumping an upperclasman, finding out so and so got a 50% scholarship vs. you getting 25% is just part of the shit show. Adding money is just another minefeild for them to navigate.

2Driver

Reaction score
They might as well get paid because they sure aren't learning anything there.

Singleton

Reaction score

Colleges and the NCAA are making billions off these kids and it's only fair they can get paid off those profits....Alot of these football and basketball kids come from zero and need some financial help and thats how they end up in trouble.

I do think it's going to be a slippery slope and will need to be heavily managed. Some of these kids will need agents,managers and accountants. Over all I think small percentage will actually make real $$$.

Bad news is you will see boosters now over paying kids "legally" to advertise a business when the only real goal is getting them to there college.

Your last statement is the issue. No way to control that unless the NCAA controls the process and that will be another CF!

Cole Trickle

Reaction score

90% of the kids that attend those schools on a athletic scholarship wouldn't be at college if the NFL had a minor league system. They have zero desire to attend school and get an education. At least this if run properly and the kids have sound investing advise can help them in the real world if they end up with a career ending injury.

These institutions don't care about these kid$$$..lol

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
If were talking about the California Law recently approved these college athletes are NOT getting paid by their school...period. What they are allowed to do is now be able to use their Likeness to be paid by outside companies who wish to hire them. For instance if a local kid who lives in Topeka, Kansas wants to work for a store for the day at a Grand Opening he can now use his likeness in their advertisements. The NCAA would not allow this before this law was enacted if they were getting paid anything.

Lets face it. 99.5% of these kids playing College Football are never going to make it to the NFL. However their Colleges are making Billions (Yes with a "B") off of these kids with them never seeing a dime. I see no issue with letting them make a few bucks to help them afford their way thru school.

Dirtbag

Reaction score
Its about time. Companies have been making a fortune off these kids likenesses for far too long with nothing going back to the athlete.

Yes an athlete, depending on sport, is being given a lot of money in tuition. Yes they are given a roof over their heads. Yes they get many meals taken care of. But thats where it ends. There is no spending money. There is no going to the movies. Take a girl on a date. You are unable to get a job due to ncaa rules and time constraints. people have no idea the amount of time and work these kids put in, while going to school. We are talking 16 Hour days.

There is nothing better than being an ncaa athlete its a blast. But make no mistake about it, its a job. Some private schools cost 50k a year some publics cost 10k a year. Not every kid is being given a 250k scholarship. And the amount of money the NCAA made on guys like Tebow, on heisman finalists, on basketball players is ridiculous. The good part about this is this should keep some kids in school longer instead of jumping for the nba or nfl. TBH these are the only sports that will have anyone making money as they are the only sports bringing in big dollars except for some SEC baseball schools.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
If were talking about the California Law recently approved these college athletes are NOT getting paid by their school...period. What they are allowed to do is now be able to use their Likeness to be paid by outside companies who wish to hire them. For instance if a local kid who lives in Topeka, Kansas wants to work for a store for the day at a Grand Opening he can now use his likeness in their advertisements. The NCAA would not allow this before this law was enacted if they were getting paid anything.

Lets face it. 99.5% of these kids playing College Football are never going to make it to the NFL. However their Colleges are making Billions (Yes with a "B") off of these kids with them never seeing a dime. I see no issue with letting them make a few bucks to help them afford their way thru school.

Think of the $$$ USC,Oklahoma and ND made off guys like Reggie Bush the Boz or Rocket Ismail (sp)...Jerseys, tickets, video game lic...etc.

It was time for something to happen....NCAA is practically a criminal org...lol

mbrown2

Reaction score

You are spot on all points. I feel the same. The issue I think it is going amplify is gender in-equality, sport in-equality....so the QB/RB, or Basketball Star or Star pitcher make millions in endorsements while no one buys advertising for Men's cross country or women's field hockey. At least with no pay ...you had equal footing with primarily equal scholarships. Now you will truly have the have and have nots and only driven from marketing/advertising companies... Even when US women soccer say they are underpaid by US Soccer Association they have a leg to stand on cause they play the same game as men and actually draw equal or more fans... With these college kids it is going to be "sorry honey...no one gives two shits about your field hockey"

But at the end of the day I am tired of seeing the colleges grow rich while the kids they recruit come from nothing and have to live on nothing while they make billions off them.

nowski

Reaction score
Open the enrollment flood gates. My take, college graduation percentages will drop like a bad pass...

mbrown2

Reaction score
Think of the $$$ USC,Oklahoma and ND made off guys like Reggie Bush the Boz or Rocket Ismail (sp)...Jerseys, tickets, video game lic...etc.

It was time for something to happen....NCAA is practically a criminal org...lol

Think the only reason the NCAA caved cause they had their lawyers look at the feasibility of overturning the recent California ruling of the same. They obviously felt they could not win in court....so what's next players start flocking to California schools cause there is money there. Likely SEC, Big 12, Big 10, ACC lobbied the NCAA to change their tune or lose their grip on recruiting..

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Think the only reason the NCAA caved cause they had their lawyers look at the feasibility of overturning the recent California ruling of the same. They obviously felt they could not win in court....so what's next players start flocking to California schools cause there is money there. Likely SEC, Big 12, Big 10, ACC lobbied the NCAA to change their tune or lose their grip on recruiting..

They fought it for a long time...Once the cars started falling it was absolutely going to spread.

Colleges are about the all mighty dollar and they make those by winning. All the popular "good guy" coaches were against the one and done rule for basketball and said they wouldn't recruit those players. 2 years later Duke is the king of one and done...haha

It is what it is....If the XFL ends up succeeding you will see kids go that route vs. college