WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

School me about Bali

johnner58

Reaction score
We are looking at a 11 day trip with friends to Bali after spending 3-4 days in Sydney, Australian this November.
Tell me what you like/dislike, must see/do and what to avoid.
I've been researching online but would like to hear firsthand experiences.
Thanks!

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
We went May 2019, and loved it.

Having a dedicated guide and driver was awesome
Semi “cheap” even when you go full luxury
Happiest people I’ve ever seen. We still talk to our guide regularly
Morning cooking class was awesome
Biking through the rice fields was amazing
Hiking up a volcano at sunset was a pain but worth it
Wife loved daily massages and pampering
Yoga classes with a view
Hike on Campuhan ridge
Visiting the rice terraces
Coffee plantation
I could go on and on

Dislikes
Humid and hot as F
Mosquitos
I feel bad for all the homeless dogs
Long flight, but business class made it bearable

We stayed in both Ubud and Jimbaran. I’d suggest doing both the mountains and beach. Both beautiful, and both different. We used Exsus to plan everything as we like to do stuff rather than sit around. I also enjoyed not having to plan, but rather just get ideas and have them plan everything.

riverroyal

Reaction score
Dont fuck with the natives. All i know.
You will disappear

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
We did 3 weeks in Bali Dec 2019. Nusa Dua, Uluwatu Temple, Kuta area, and several others I can't remember, Kuta being the busiest and dirtiest. Also went to a smaller nearby island for a week called Lembongan. Everything from perfect beaches to mountains and monkeys.
If you like coffee, dont skip the coffee farms, some have the famous tree swings to ride too.
Personal daily driver a must. I can pass along a driver contact if you wish, we still keep in touch with Wayan. Airport pickup and everything.
All in all, very nice people. You'll love it.
Btw, we also stopped in Sydney for a week & the 2020 New Year celebration. Great city👍 Lots of cool pubs and iconic sights nearby.

boatpi

Reaction score
Check out the Ayana Bali. In a few places this is by far our favorite it’s 160 rooms on about 70 acres. Along with the world famous rock bar will be there in December including New Year’s Eve. Surfing, rafting on the river, use a driver and car to get around.
04A2AA35-473D-4FFA-A316-49F2B2C50C9E.jpeg
0553CFB1-831F-4BCA-81E2-3380500E79CD.jpeg
62865C6B-1988-45E2-A900-DFB5C75E9DF1.jpeg
26F8E4C2-9BC4-4EF2-8F98-95A7894A8E29.jpeg
2D1222F6-888E-467A-9F30-3E746E8CF820.jpeg

Wicky

Mr. Potatohead
Reaction score
I like Bali but, I like Maeng Da better.

johnner58

Reaction score
We went May 2019, and loved it.

Having a dedicated guide and driver was awesome
Semi “cheap” even when you go full luxury
Happiest people I’ve ever seen. We still talk to our guide regularly
Morning cooking class was awesome
Biking through the rice fields was amazing
Hiking up a volcano at sunset was a pain but worth it
Wife loved daily massages and pampering
Yoga classes with a view
Hike on Campuhan ridge
Visiting the rice terraces
Coffee plantation
I could go on and on

Dislikes
Humid and hot as F
Mosquitos
I feel bad for all the homeless dogs
Long flight, but business class made it bearable

We stayed in both Ubud and Jimbaran. I’d suggest doing both the mountains and beach. Both beautiful, and both different. We used Exsus to plan everything as we like to do stuff rather than sit around. I also enjoyed not having to plan, but rather just get ideas and have them plan everything.
Thanks for the breakdown of your trip and experiences, we will be staying Ubud, would you say that area is pretty remote? The flights look like a pain in the azz. I'm not a big fan of mosquitos either.

johnner58

Reaction score

johnner58

Reaction score
We did 3 weeks in Bali Dec 2019. Nusa Dua, Uluwatu Temple, Kuta area, and several others I can't remember, Kuta being the busiest and dirtiest. Also went to a smaller nearby island for a week called Lembongan. Everything from perfect beaches to mountains and monkeys.
If you like coffee, dont skip the coffee farms, some have the famous tree swings to ride too.
Personal daily driver a must. I can pass along a driver contact if you wish, we still keep in touch with Wayan. Airport pickup and everything.
All in all, very nice people. You'll love it.
Btw, we also stopped in Sydney for a week & the 2020 New Year celebration. Great city👍 Lots of cool pubs and iconic sights nearby.
Thanks for the response and trip details, my buddy who is organizing the trip has transportation nailed down, thanks for the offer. Would you make a return trip to Bali?

boatpi

Reaction score
By the way if you can use Singapore airlines from Los Angeles or San Francisco nonstop to Singapore a short layover than directly into Bali

If you can swing it I highly suggest business class but if not premium economy will work out quite well it’s a five-star airline, and the fastest way to get there

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Thanks for the response and trip details, my buddy who is organizing the trip has transportation nailed down, thanks for the offer. Would you make a return trip to Bali?
I'd go again in a heartbeat.
We're booked for Philippines later this year. Expanding our horizons, lol😊

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Thanks for the breakdown of your trip and experiences, we will be staying Ubud, would you say that area is pretty remote? The flights look like a pain in the azz. I'm not a big fan of mosquitos either.
Yes, it's pretty remote, but that's kind of the point. It's a bit of a drive from the airport, so I'd get private transport and a guide if it's within the budget to get around. I can get you connected to our guy if you're interested.

Most of the places seem to have some sort of lemongrass repellant you can get or that will be provided. No worries. What hotel are you staying at?
We did Alila Ubud, but as you can see from BoatPI's post, all of the high-end hotels will be amazing. Plenty to choose from.

116AF046-3DBE-4944-9E2B-8096BF9717CB.jpeg
B1FE9D16-F70E-42FF-BE27-0B3720B34ACB.jpeg
C83044F0-AABA-4855-9F73-AC71553C9338.jpeg
91C273B5-0C8D-44D6-8BC6-B4D092A9E23F.jpeg
8677BB7A-2FCF-4542-98C0-A3C5259D38E3.jpeg

Last edited:

johnner58

Reaction score
By the way if you can use Singapore airlines from Los Angeles or San Francisco nonstop to Singapore a short layover than directly into Bali

If you can swing it I highly suggest business class but if not premium economy will work out quite well it’s a five-star airline, and the fastest way to get there
Good to know, I'll check out Singapore airlines!

DaveH

Reaction score
is this place really worth it for a tropical getaway?

i understand if you are traveling to that part of the world with other stops, for business or whatever......but is the long flight really worth it?

is it really that much cheaper that hugely more expensive airfare (compared to other places) justify going?

i love tropical get aways but that seems like for the effort it would have to be a really special place to go vist.

boatpi

Reaction score
If you elect to go to Bali, Indonesia, other stops are a must. First off no way to get there easily to Bali aside from Singapore Airlines as they fly through Singapore. It is 17 hours nonstop to Singapore, just a 1.5 hour layover, then 2.25 hours on a 787 to Bali. I would suggest two nights or more are a just in Singapore on the way out. Airport is close to most hotels. I highly suggest a economy plus seats of if you have $ business class.

Singapore hotel rates are way above Bali, but not out of line. Within two hours of Singapore is Phuket, Thailand too. Another interesting place. A bit farther aways but a great sport in Osaka, Japan. But for now, Japan is in lockdown. Nonstop flights from Tokyo to LAX all the time. Singapore airlines has 2+ flights nonstop daily to Singapore, if going to Bali book straight through inbound to Bali. Get a visa on arrival in Bali. No visa needed for Singapore. Bali hotels are very diverse depending on what you are seeking. I took family there three years ago, got a resort 5 minutes up from the beach, had a 2 bedroom 2 bath unit, two story with a huge outdoor kitchen and its own pool for $185 a night! That included daily breakfast. Up is Dusa same costs as it is cooler on the mountain, they even have a Marriott branded place too. My daughters surfed a a famous surf beach all day, driver took us all around for about $12 per hours USD. Use WhatsApp all the time in Bali.

boatpi

Reaction score
Btw; There’s a limit of one bottle per person abuse coming in Indonesia they will scan your luggage and search it, and very kindly ask you which bottles you would like to give up you keep one. Booze is very expensive their beer is not so if you want a hard-core bottle of booze or a bottle of wine bring it with you.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score

i understand if you are traveling to that part of the world with other stops, for business or whatever......but is the long flight really worth it?

is it really that much cheaper that hugely more expensive airfare (compared to other places) justify going?

i love tropical get aways but that seems like for the effort it would have to be a really special place to go vist.
Yes it’s worth it. China Airlines flies out of Ontario in newer A350s and stops in Taiwan. The business class is really good. Better than EVA, Any American airline, and even Cathay when I flew them. ONT business class lounge isn’t great, but I’d much rather fly out of there than LAX. Customs is so freaking easy.

I personally wouldn’t want to fly 20 hours in economy or economy plus. I also would need to stay in the area at least 2 weeks to put up with 2 full days of flying.

DaveH

Reaction score
Yes it’s worth it. China Airlines flies out of Ontario in newer A350s and stops in Taiwan. The business class is really good. Better than EVA, Any American airline, and even Cathay when I flew them. ONT business class lounge isn’t great, but I’d much rather fly out of there than LAX. Customs is so freaking easy.

I personally wouldn’t want to fly 20 hours in economy or economy plus. I also would need to stay in the area at least 2 weeks to put up with 2 full days of flying.
i dont doubt you can fly comfy to get there. that's not the issue for me. its the cost vs going places closer that I am questioning.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
i dont doubt you can fly comfy to get there. that's not the issue for me. its the cost vs going places closer that I am questioning.

I guess that’s subjective. I was just saying you can get there comfortably for a better price, which may make it worth it. When I flew EVA and Cathay my business class flights were $8k. That’s a chunk of change, and I’m sure Singapore is even more.

I’d go again, but probably loop in AUS like the OP or Japan once it fully opens up. Last time we did Ubud and Jimbaran in Bali, Bangkok, Labuan Bajo, and Koh Samui in one trip. A lot to see and do in that area.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score

Well, if you think a couple appetizers, 2 lobster dinners, 2-3 drinks each and dessert for under $100 is expensive dont go.🤣

DaveH

Reaction score
Well, if you think a couple appetizers, 2 lobster dinners, 2-3 drinks each and dessert for under $100 is expensive dont go.🤣
thats my point. 8-10k to get there to save on dinner?

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
If you're spending $8-10k to get there you're doing it wrong. We've funded 75-90% of our trips with airline & hotel credit card points.
Our lobster dinner post was just one example.

DaveH

Reaction score
dont know what card you use......but my points work in other places besides Bali :D

and if i can go to Belize or costa rica or hawaii or whatever for half the points.......then please tell me why Bali is so great other then low food costs. I'm trying to understand because if its such an awesome place i would consider going. but not when i save half on food and lodging but spend 3-4x what costs to get there.

boatpi

Reaction score
The best deal right now for a one stop his Philippine airlines there are newer airlines that go to Singapore and I think may go to Bali also.

But if you want the least amount of time travel there’s no other airline like Singapore which get you from Los Angeles to Singapore and then on the Bali in about 21 hours I believe anybody else is 25 at sometimes over 30 hours.

Keep in mind I believe right now you cannot stop in Japan even for a layover. When Japan airlines starts flying again and their country opens that would be a good viable option here to Tokyo and Enjoy a day or two of Tokyo and then go into Bali if they initiate a direct flight again going through Taiwan is not a bad option also.

The best suggestion I can give anybody that goes there and I’ve been there 25 times probably is to spend at least you’re not at two at the Anaya and book your seat at the rock bar what you get an exclusive section of.

One of the most incredible resort experiences I’ve ever had and the service is a 10. If you undo a good breakfast in the last year most of the day book it with the breakfast you’ll eat it on a small area for your table of four or six surrounded by a pond of koi.

And Bali the food is amazing

Ballyhoo

Reaction score
We looked into Bali before we decided on Thailand. For a number of reasons we chose Thailand. There is plenty things to see for the first part of your vac then move on to one of the many fantastic beach/island locations in Thailand. We spent the last 9 days of our trip on Ko Lanta at the Layana Resort. Epic to say the least. layanaresort.com

******Just realized you were just looking for Bali suggestions.

Dalton

Reaction score

Its seeing a different culture also, there's vacation places I've been that I could go to every time and have a blast, but I still try new ones

Never been to Bali but want to.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
dont know what card you use......but my points work in other places besides Bali :D

and if i can go to Belize or costa rica or hawaii or whatever for half the points.......then please tell me why Bali is so great other then low food costs. I'm trying to understand because if its such an awesome place i would consider going. but not when i save half on food and lodging but spend 3-4x what costs to get there.
It just depends on what you're going to do and what experience you want. If you want to be immersed in a different culture and way of life, Bali is pretty damn cool.

I've been to Oahu and was bored after a few days. I'd still like to go to Hawaii, Maui, and other islands, but even though the flights are cheap, you'd probably be spending multiple thousands a night to get villas that compare to what I spent in Bali at $4-$700/night. If they have something like that all. Apples to apples, I think you'd come out ahead on price, and the people there are nothing like I've ever met. Service is off the charts, as is friendliness.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score

Wife has got the credit card talent. Couple different ones for different reasons.
Jennifer Garner card(Venture) is one. She'll let me know which to use, like when it earns 10x points for a purchase.
Our next 2week+ trip is to So.Korea & Philippines, only one hotel didn't get covered by points.
We dig learning local culture and befriending them. It helps to open our eyes to how good we have it here, humbling.

Last edited:

boatpi

Reaction score
When you travel to other places throughout the world not that he needed to be convinced but we live in the finest place on Mother Earth. This is why everybody wants to come here.