WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

School me on Cheetah Tunnel Hulls

SIK-06

Reaction score
Found a cheetah stiletto 24 tunnel hull. How do they ride?

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
It’s a mod v, I’ve owned one was a decent ride. Lots will hate on the cheetahs but for the money they are a great boat. Just keep stock in stainless screws s f bolts. As things come loose or need removed for whatever reason replace with stainless screws s f through bolt anything you can that’s not already done.

SIK-06

Reaction score
twin outboard one?
1590166423252.png

No not that one. Its not listed anywhere I know the owner.

Last edited:

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
I had my Cheetah for 11 years. Just sold it last year. Kind of the best of both worlds being a tunnel hull. You get some of the ride of a cat but still handles like a V.
As stated above might want to through bolt where possible. Screws did seem to back out occasionally. 😉

DSCN4074.JPG
LO5L9128.JPG

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Cheetahs have a bad wrap, I recall one came apart and sunk on the owner while cruising Havasu a few years back. They are a price point boat, corners are cut to get the cost down, not saying they are bad, just you have to expect some things will be different compared to something from another mfg but that boat would be twice the price. A mod vp bottom versus a center pod tunnel is a pretty cool set up.

sintax

Reaction score
It’s a mod v, I’ve owned one was a decent ride. Lots will hate on the cheetahs but for the money they are a great boat. Just keep stock in stainless screws s f bolts. As things come loose or need removed for whatever reason replace with stainless screws s f through bolt anything you can that’s not already done.

haha no joke on that.

every time i get on near my brother in laws i find shit missing.

Hypnautic

Reaction score
Cheetahs have a bad wrap, I recall one came apart and sunk on the owner while cruising Havasu a few years back. They are a price point boat, corners are cut to get the cost down, not saying they are bad, just you have to expect some things will be different compared to something from another mfg but that boat would be twice the price. A mod vp bottom versus a center pod tunnel is a pretty cool set up.

That Stiletto, I believe was taken out without the owners permission or something?!? Guy stuffed it somehow and bow ripped off.
My .02. Boat can be a solid and reliable choice to get you and family out on the water if you take care and maintain it like any other boat.
They get out on plane easily and ride nice and flat. Little trim and run real nice. Boat will turn on rails at lower speeds and handles light chop with ease.
I had mine built in 04. I’ve had to fix more things related to drive, motor or accessories than the actual boat itself.

LC925

Reaction score

traquer

Reaction score
That outboard one can run in some pretty shallow water it seems, just let it rip. Cool boat

Bigbore500r

Reaction score

attitude

Reaction score
I’m curious as to why the outboards are mounted so far out instead of as close to the center pod as possible like the twin Stokers you see. Wouldn’t the outside one come out of the water in a sharp turn?

LC925

Reaction score
What year were those prices from? ....... I think more than double that now

I remember looking and had them send me a credit app but went a different route. Everyone scared me off due to “wood screws”. I still think that’s probably a good lake hull if built right. Loved my Stoker but the wife wanted some more freeboard to feel like she was “inside the boat not on it” 🙄

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I’m curious as to why the outboards are mounted so far out instead of as close to the center pod as possible like the twin Stokers you see. Wouldn’t the outside one come out of the water in a sharp turn?
I think Stoker was about the only one to rig twins like that. I have to imagine it can be difficult to rig the engines so close together and keep the turbulence off each prop, lower, and tunnel from interfering with the performance. A ModVP doesn't roll onto the chine like a Vee. It corners more like a cat and stays pretty damn flat.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

guest hs

Reaction score
I have to say I have dropped in a few times at Cheetah since I opened my shop and the Wild Cats they are producing are pretty damn nice and at a great price point. I can’t say they are Eliminator or Howard nice but they are Ultra, Shockwave, Advantage nice which are no slouches.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
That’s the Scorpion. Same bottom as Stiletto minus the swim step.
These boats ride and handle really well. Super fun to drive.
You are getting wet when the water gets rough though.

My buddy has a Scorpion. 20 years old, really solid boat, and has probably 800 hours on it. He just put new interior in it last season. It had 0 structural issues.

The interior was a total redo though, all the wood was trash. All the wood screws and lag bolts are now gone, and all the interior wood is now resin coated, so it should easily last another 20 years.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I have to say I have dropped in a few times at Cheetah since I opened my shop and the Wild Cats they are producing are pretty damn nice and at a great price point. I can’t say they are Eliminator or Howard nice but they are Ultra, Shockwave, Advantage nice which are no slouches.

If I was building a new boat today, I’d build a Wildcat for sure. Amazing bang for the buck.

westair

Reaction score

I remember looking and had them send me a credit app but went a different route. Everyone scared me off due to “wood screws”. I still think that’s probably a good lake hull if built right. Loved my Stoker but the wife wanted some more freeboard to feel like she was “inside the boat not on it” 🙄
Cheetah has new owners and I think they're putting more into quality and detail now.

guest hs

Reaction score
Cheetah has new owners and I think they're putting more into quality and detail now.
Yah been dealing with Greg Monk he seems like a nice guy one of the new owners, kinda quite like me. He is doing some speaker enclosure for a sleek craft I have been refurbishing for a customer.

SIK-06

Reaction score
I am coming from a 2002 Maxum SR II.
1590241946023.jpeg

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
let me have it!
here's the good....they ride on rails..... put big power and go fast....the bad..... they ride like crap with any amount of waves or rollers... it's either W>O>T> or get the crap beat out of you...and here's what wrong... and here 's the fix,,,. I was working with bob on the problem, we were gonna re tool the mold....the tunnnels are way too big and the boat won't pac air... so try'n to go across the lake @ 45-50 .. it get beat to death...the fix is tunnel tabs...with tunnel tabs if help to close off the rear of the tunnels and lets it pac air...with out them it slap the water hard with no air cushion... bob and I were gonna make the tunnels smaller...

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
oh, and the tabs need to be fixed tabs like the scorpion pic above...like stokers have also.... the ones on the schiadas are hydraulic….dangerous

SIK-06

Reaction score
oh, and the tabs need to be fixed tabs like the scorpion pic above...like stokers have also.... the ones on the schiadas are hydraulic….dangerous
Any recommendations on which tabs and where to get them?

SIK-06

Reaction score
I would buy a Hallett 210 open bow...way more room, rides 10 times better,.. and you don't have to crawl on your knees...
Thats what I want but can’t find one in my budget unless it’s a jet and or closed now.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Fixed tunnel tabs don't do shit for the ride once on plane unless there are sides to keep the air under it. Even then that doesn't increase the air pressure under the boat. It will only increase by reducing the tunnel.area like you mentioned. Otherwise they are really only good for rolling the boat onto plane.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Any recommendations on which tabs and where to get them?
eddie marine,... when you installthem put them up about 1/4'' on the transom... then start with them level with the tunnels.... make adjustment of 1/8'' at a time... 1/8 th makes a huge difference on top end.. you wanna get it where it's carring the hull with out nosing over

FreeBird236

Reaction score
Wasn't somebody looking to buy a 21 Nordic recently, he was tired of getting beat to death in his Hallett 210.😂

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
If you look at post #5, your sons boat is the boat he is looking to buy... maybe don’t talk him out of it too much lol.
he ask' to be honest......lol...that's the nicest cheetah ever.....I even have a set of purple tabs for one...

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I had my Cheetah for 11 years. Just sold it last year. Kind of the best of both worlds being a tunnel hull. You get some of the ride of a cat but still handles like a V.
As stated above might want to through bolt where possible. Screws did seem to back out occasionally. 😉

View attachment 879475 View attachment 879476

I was impressed right away when I rode in your boat!
Remember that? Delta hooky day.
I didn’t know it was a tunnel, as soon as we got in a little chop the boat didn’t even flinch. Just stayed flat and smooth.
I asked you “hey, this things a tunnel?”