WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

School me on dash cams

Baja 252

Reaction score
While driving home from the lake some jerk cut my wife off and ran her off onto the gravel shoulder last weekend. She's fine, but could have been very bad.

It got me thinking about getting a dash cam, but I know nothing about them. Do they work well? Brands? What features do I need?

84miller

Reaction score
Yes they work very well, go to best buy or order online. Just an FYI, need to be diligent in using, meaning turn on and off every time you drive the car, because the odds are the one time you do not turn it on was the time it was needed. Below link is pretty much the top of the line from Best Buy the Cobra HD which also is a radar detector for $109.00....normally 149.00. There are cheaper you can get a good on for $70.00.

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
Yes they work very well, go to best buy or order online. Just an FYI, need to be diligent in using, meaning turn on and off every time you drive the car, because the odds are the one time you do not turn it on was the time it was needed. Below link is pretty much the top of the line from Best Buy the Cobra HD which also is a radar detector for $109.00....normally 149.00. There are cheaper you can get a good on for $70.00.

I hardwire them all the time for customer's no worries about turning on and off

2Driver

Reaction score
i have a thinkware 70 in each car. very happy with them

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I got one that replaced the OEM rear view mirror which comes with a second rear camera to mount by lic plate(which doubles as a backup camera)
Both cameras record all the time when ignition is on. Continues to overwrite the sd card but will lock the file if an accident occurs.
You can even set it to record if someone bumps car whiles it's parked.

Baja 252

Reaction score
I got one that replaced the OEM rear view mirror which comes with a second rear camera to mount by lic plate(which doubles as a backup camera)
Both cameras record all the time when ignition is on. Continues to overwrite the sd card but will lock the file if an accident occurs.
You can even set it to record if someone bumps car whiles it's parked.
What camera do you have? I like the idea of it recording when the car starts and just overwriting the sd card.

Joker

Reaction score
I’ve got an Owl dash cam and love it. Our last cam blew up from heat and i believe this has an internal fan. Video is amazing as well

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
What camera do you have? I like the idea of it recording when the car starts and just overwriting the sd card.
Used this one in the truck and made a bracket to use an oem style windshield mount so it wasn't just strapped to the mirror. Intent was to lessen the weight on windshield mount and of course my ocd.
Screenshot_20200530-141213_Amazon Shopping.jpg

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
What if your dash cam shows you speeding or something along those lines and the accident wasnt your fault but because you were speeding the insurance company now has a case against you.... No thanks. You will never see one of those insurance company trackers in one of my cars either...

petie6464

Reaction score
What if your dash cam shows you speeding or something along those lines and the accident wasnt your fault but because you were speeding the insurance company now has a case against you.... No thanks. You will never see one of those insurance company trackers in one of my cars either...
Very good point. I use one in my commercial truck. It works both ways in that it works well to keep you in check. The times you want to brush someone back with the trailer or get on someone's bumper for impeding the hammer lane, it will make you think twice. On another note just plug it into a power port the powers on KO and it will always be running.