WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

School me on Diesel pushers..

Tooned Up

Reaction score
With the stage our family is in now I’m think I’m going get rid of the toy haulers and step into a pusher. Right now I’m really leaning towards Cummins vs Cat with an Alison. Brains and budget keeps me far away from new and I’m wanting to stay somewhere between $50-80k, something in the 40’ range and must sleep 6. Any thoughts on make and model??

Tooned Up

Reaction score
Holiday Rambler, Beaver, Monaco!
I’ve been looking at Monaco’s and Country Coach both. Sleeping 6 appears to be an issue for a lot of floor plans with a class A. Is the Cummins vs Cat a debate like Ford, Dodge and Chevy?

LakeMead Boater

Reaction score
I’ve been looking at Monaco’s and Country Coach both. Sleeping 6 appears to be an issue for a lot of floor plans with a class A. Is the Cummins vs Cat a debate like Ford, Dodge and Chevy?

There’s a very clean Country Coach for sale in the Classifieds, I’d start there. My parents had a 1996 Intrigue, a 2002, and now a 2006 and they are as solid as can be. As for sleeping 6 though, you’ll need to get creative. We were always 4 or 5 at the most in ours.

As for Cummins vs Cat, you’re right on the Dodge/GM/Ford comparison. I’ve spent a lot of time behind the wheel of several different Cummins- 300, 400, and a 500. I’ve also spent a little time with a 525 Cat and a 500 Detroit. Hated the Detroit in a pusher. Truthfully, not the biggest fan of the Cat as I don’t like the powerband. It’s a different driving experience compared to the Cummins and it could be just length of time and familiarity. I drove a 500 Cummins in a 40’ Monaco back and forth across the country multiple times towing a 24’ trailer. That engine flat out hauls ass and pulls hard. Also drove the 400 a lot and it’s a great engine, but not as powerful obviously. No matter what people tell you, virtually all of them overheat. Only one that didn’t seem to do it was the 300 Cummins.

No matter what, get a side radiator coach.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
DP are designed to sleep 2 and 6-8 for cocktails.

its doable with 4, but you consistently need to make the couch bed as it’s difficult to get around to the exit door.

Tooned Up

Reaction score
There’s a very clean Country Coach for sale in the Classifieds, I’d start there. My parents had a 1996 Intrigue, a 2002, and now a 2006 and they are as solid as can be. As for sleeping 6 though, you’ll need to get creative. We were always 4 or 5 at the most in ours.

As for Cummins vs Cat, you’re right on the Dodge/GM/Ford comparison. I’ve spent a lot of time behind the wheel of several different Cummins- 300, 400, and a 500. I’ve also spent a little time with a 525 Cat and a 500 Detroit. Hated the Detroit in a pusher. Truthfully, not the biggest fan of the Cat as I don’t like the powerband. It’s a different driving experience compared to the Cummins and it could be just length of time and familiarity. I drove a 500 Cummins in a 40’ Monaco back and forth across the country multiple times towing a 24’ trailer. That engine flat out hauls ass and pulls hard. Also drove the 400 a lot and it’s a great engine, but not as powerful obviously. No matter what people tell you, virtually all of them overheat. Only one that didn’t seem to do it was the 300 Cummins.

No matter what, get a side radiator coach.
I’ve been eyeballing the one in the classifieds and truly think it fits the bill. Right now I’m window shopping and doing research until I send my toy haulers down the road. If I wasn’t in North Dakota I would have already went and looked at the Country Coach and I would probably be setting on 2 toy haulers and a coach!!! Lol

HBCraig

Reaction score
I have had a few. The Winnebago with the Cat was okay in terms of performance. Cummins was much better

You can pick up clean Expedition pushers as well as Revolution. Good floorplans

Throw Phaeton in the mix as well.

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score
DP are designed to sleep 2 and 6-8 for cocktails.

its doable with 4, but you consistently need to make the couch bed as it’s difficult to get around to the exit door.

THIS!!!!!

They are built for retried, full timers. My Dynasty has a Queen and a pullout sofa. The sofa is a pain in the ass and not very comfortable. We put foam on it. Which makes putting the shit away in the morning more complex.

RCDave

Reaction score
Alpine, Country Coach, Newmar Dutch Star (on the Spartan chassis), and Tiffin.

What you want is a coach built on a higher end chassis that features

Independent front suspension
Side radiator
Disc front brakes
Dual stage exhaust brake
Etc.

Spartan chassis
Peak Chassis
Powerglide chassis

Last edited:

One2go

Reaction score
Have had Monaco Knight,and 07 Damon Tuscany 360 hp both cummins,Pulled stacker with off-road car , SxS and 2 quads.Never once got close to over heating(rear Radiator) As for sleeping if you have small kids there's a lot of floor plans with bunks. Usually set up with tv's in each.

Tooned Up

Reaction score
Alpine, Country Coach, Newmar Dutch Star (on the Spartan chassis), and Tiffin.

What you want is a coach built on a higher end chassis that features

Independent front suspension
Side radiator
Disc front brakes
Dual stage exhaust brake
Etc.

Spartan chassis
Peak Chassis
Powerhouse chassis
This is feedback I want to hear.

Tooned Up

Reaction score
Have had Monaco Knight,and 07 Damon Tuscany 360 hp both cummins,Pulled stacker with off-road car , SxS and 2 quads.Never once got close to over heating(rear Radiator) As for sleeping if you have small kids there's a lot of floor plans with bunks. Usually set up with tv's in each.
With today’s technology TVs arnt an issue. I need beds to put 6 bodies with comfort for only 2!

squeezer

Reaction score
Foretravel...

Your budget would buy a decent early 2000’s U320.

I’m typing this from ours right now.

Once you drive a coach with a joystick retarder you will only want a coach with a joystick retarder...

sleeping six will take some creativity. I turned ours into a bunkhouse model a few years back to accommodate the kids. Took the doors off the closet and added drop down bunks. Curtains for privacy and we are set. Also put in 4 captains chairs with integral seat belts... Set up for family traveling more than two people long term.

Also running super singles in the back just for the hell of it.

We go down the road at under 60lbs/HP. Most coaches are closer to 100lbs/hp, You won’t know what your missing unless you drive one. ( So maybe don’t drive one.)

Attachments

• E10244AD-7100-4D7F-9A37-ED04135E4DCD.jpeg
    E10244AD-7100-4D7F-9A37-ED04135E4DCD.jpeg
    27.9 KB · Views: 260
  • 78E43E9A-0100-4168-99BC-8301FD53FA92.jpeg
    78E43E9A-0100-4168-99BC-8301FD53FA92.jpeg
    28.1 KB · Views: 253
  • E8B8A46B-4546-4D02-AED8-E0AE8A7493FC.jpeg
    E8B8A46B-4546-4D02-AED8-E0AE8A7493FC.jpeg
    26.9 KB · Views: 228
  • 31C226F0-7C26-4C1C-8D57-578CD7E9F93A.jpeg
    31C226F0-7C26-4C1C-8D57-578CD7E9F93A.jpeg
    29.9 KB · Views: 231
  • 85872F9A-CFA9-4B1E-8D0D-AA18B0EED86E.jpeg
    85872F9A-CFA9-4B1E-8D0D-AA18B0EED86E.jpeg
    37.3 KB · Views: 243
  • DE28CA87-DDD1-443B-BAD5-C8A147765245.jpeg
    DE28CA87-DDD1-443B-BAD5-C8A147765245.jpeg
    27.9 KB · Views: 234
  • 29DADD70-E228-4C7C-B4D9-AA7087FB01EB.jpeg
    29DADD70-E228-4C7C-B4D9-AA7087FB01EB.jpeg
    31.8 KB · Views: 252
  • 5B7961D0-637B-45FD-AC2D-48829E550462.jpeg
    5B7961D0-637B-45FD-AC2D-48829E550462.jpeg
    32.7 KB · Views: 237
  • D88ECBA0-B672-4D87-AFD4-E13605778A48.jpeg
    D88ECBA0-B672-4D87-AFD4-E13605778A48.jpeg
    35.1 KB · Views: 248

Icky

Reaction score
Class c motorhomes have the front overhead bunk

TripleB

Reaction score
With the stage our family is in now I’m think I’m going get rid of the toy haulers and step into a pusher. Right now I’m really leaning towards Cummins vs Cat with an Alison. Brains and budget keeps me far away from new and I’m wanting to stay somewhere between $50-80k, something in the 40’ range and must sleep 6. Any thoughts on make and model??

A couple other thing to look at or for, wheel size, tag axle, leveling system (air suspension vs hydraulic rams), front entry vs mid, generator size and hours, how many airs, slides? All this will depend on how and where are you going to use it. The two biggest things to look at when buying age and condition of tires and batteries.
Almost for got check the roof also, most people do zero maintenance.

squeezer

Reaction score
A few more comments:

Cat vs Cummins is not worth picking one coach over another for. The SIZE of the Cat or Cummins is... Divide weight by horsepower. Make sure it’s less than 100lb/hp in the configuration you go down the road.

Some people say buy the floor plan you like as the top factor. I don’t agree with that line except for the bathroom. Private vs walkthrough bath room could make or break your selection depending on personal factors.

Aqua(Hydro)Hot systems are great. A bit complex but unlimited hot water and quiet operation is worth it.

Center door vs front entry: Pros and cons to both. A center door would let you put a drop down bunk up front where a front door won’t... I wish our coach was center door!

You want airbag (Chassis) leveling. Particularly on an 8 airbag chassis. (The wide bag stance eliminates rocking that sometimes gets brought up in rams vs bag discussions)

Tires: Any class A worth buying will have 22.5’s.

Tank size matters a lot more than people think. The bigger the better obviously. Having to break camp because the shitters full is not optimal.

Slide or no slide: Slides are heavy, leak, costly to fix, etc etc. Most people think they need them... Which leads to some killer deals on non slide coaches. High end no slide DP’s from the late 90’s early 2000’s are the best deals out there. There is the added advantage of being pre EGR/Catalyst/DPF.

Tooned Up

Reaction score
A few more comments:

Cat vs Cummins is not worth picking one coach over another for. The SIZE of the Cat or Cummins is... Divide weight by horsepower. Make sure it’s less than 100lb/hp in the configuration you go down the road.

Some people say buy the floor plan you like as the top factor. I don’t agree with that line except for the bathroom. Private vs walkthrough bath room could make or break your selection depending on personal factors.

Aqua(Hydro)Hot systems are great. A bit complex but unlimited hot water and quiet operation is worth it.

Center door vs front entry: Pros and cons to both. A center door would let you put a drop down bunk up front where a front door won’t... I wish our coach was center door!

You want airbag (Chassis) leveling. Particularly on an 8 airbag chassis. (The wide bag stance eliminates rocking that sometimes gets brought up in rams vs bag discussions)

Tires: Any class A worth buying will have 22.5’s.

Tank size matters a lot more than people think. The bigger the better obviously. Having to break camp because the shitters full is not optimal.

Slide or no slide: Slides are heavy, leak, costly to fix, etc etc. Most people think they need them... Which leads to some killer deals on non slide coaches. High end no slide DP’s from the late 90’s early 2000’s are the best deals out there. There is the added advantage of being pre EGR/Catalyst/DPF.
This is exactly the feedback I am looking for. Thank you very much for taking the time put it all down.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
We had a DP for many years as my kids were growing up. I have to say, one of the best purchases we made. So many great times and memories camping, riding and river trips..... wouldn’t change it for anything. Here are a few things I would look for in a coach

1. Triple air. If your camping in the summer in the southwest, it’s a must!
2. Minimum 10KW diesel generator. The kids will always have the microwave or something else on!
3. Full air suspension with self leveling. Pull up, hit the button..... your done.
4 Tag axle. No comparison with regards to driving characteristics/ towing.
5. Cummins power. 500 or up. Big displacement equals big torque.

Good luck on your search. There are so many to choose from in the used market, just takes time to find the right floor plan.

EBT531

Reaction score
Had a Holiday Rambler Navigator and loved it. Had the cummins in it but my uncle had a cat and I really didn't see a difference. Mine was 40' and even with 2 AC's I had no issues in the summer months. Definitely get the diesel generator and 10KW or so. I could run both airs, microwave etc. without issue. Plus you don't use much propane which is harder to fill.

Get the side radiator and control your shifts on the hills, then it won't overheat. Mine never did once I learned to shift it myself on the hills.

Meaney77

Reaction score
We have had good luck with out Fleetwood its the 40X. It has 2 couches that both pull out into beds and a wrap around dinette that also turns into a bed. Works perfect for us, we are a family of 5.

Agree it gets old pulling out beds and inflating them every night and then deflating them and putting them away in the morning but it is what it is.

zhandfull

Reaction score
What kind of mpg might someone expect from a diesel pusher?

RCDave

Reaction score
My 8.9l 425hp cummins powering an 37' tiffin allegro bus gets high 7's towing a Subaru outback and 8.6 non towing.

However I average 62-63 towing the car and 65-68 with no tag. The mileage would be a little better if I slowed down to 55

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
We have had a bunch, my favorite was the fleet wood revolution with 400 cat. Got burned out on the repairs though, they can get pretty costly to repair. Seems like every bill was $5000. And I agree it was just the two of us on the road so the 40 bath and half worked out well.

EBT531

Reaction score
What kind of mpg might someone expect from a diesel pusher?

i averaged 8mpg including what the generator used. This was empty, pulling a RZR on trailer or pulling the ZJ. Was always within .5mpg

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
We had a DP for many years as my kids were growing up. I have to say, one of the best purchases we made. So many great times and memories camping, riding and river trips..... wouldn’t change it for anything. Here are a few things I would look for in a coach

1. Triple air. If your camping in the summer in the southwest, it’s a must!
2. Minimum 10KW diesel generator. The kids will always have the microwave or something else on!
3. Full air suspension with self leveling. Pull up, hit the button..... your done.
4 Tag axle. No comparison with regards to driving characteristics/ towing.
5. Cummins power. 500 or up. Big displacement equals big torque.

Good luck on your search. There are so many to choose from in the used market, just takes time to find the right floor plan.

Yes, Yes and Yes...absolute gospel. Specially the tag.

Singleton

Reaction score
Try to stay under 40’
36’ is the magic number to allow entry into all federal and Ca state parks. Once over 36’ you start having spot issues due to length

Tooned Up

Reaction score
We have had a bunch, my favorite was the fleet wood revolution with 400 cat. Got burned out on the repairs though, they can get pretty costly to repair. Seems like every bill was $5000. And I agree it was just the two of us on the road so the 40 bath and half worked out well.
What type of repairs were you having averaging those costs?

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
What type of repairs were you having averaging those costs?

annual service was quite a bit, really big hits was the high pressure fuel pump went out. I learned after several pushers that low miles is actually a bad thing, the one we had the highest mileage was the best one on repairs.

fmo24

Reaction score
To have annual service done runs 700ish. That is a service coming out and doing all filters and oil in both engine and generator plus lubing all chassis points.
This year will be a couple hundred more as air filter needs changing which is an every couple of years reqmnt. We full time so I have no where to drain and get rid of 26 qts of oil so I just pay each year
If you can do your own service it is much less

Meaney77

Reaction score
To have annual service done runs 700ish. That is a service coming out and doing all filters and oil in both engine and generator plus lubing all chassis points.
This year will be a couple hundred more as air filter needs changing which is an every couple of years reqmnt. We full time so I have no where to drain and get rid of 26 qts of oil so I just pay each year
If you can do your own service it is much less
Thank god for my smudge pot!!

Tooned Up

Reaction score
Fortunately I can do my annual myself and a lot of the other big stuff. Lots to consider here has vs diesel. The towing capacity is a huge plus for diesel.... Decisions decisions....

RCDave

Reaction score
Diesel maintenance is easy. Oil, oil filter, fuel filter, and air filters. Easy peasy. But bigger repairs can be more costly.

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
Diesel maintenance is easy. Oil, oil filter, fuel filter, and air filters. Easy peasy. But bigger repairs can be more costly.

But they are few and far between when making an intelligent DP purchase. I've had 2 Monaco Dynasty's. I have not had a major component repair, period. Cummins 400ISL motors with 6 speed Allisons. One radiator I threw a rock into.

RCDave

Reaction score
But they are few and far between when making an intelligent DP purchase. I've had 2 Monaco Dynasty's. I have not had a major component repair, period. Cummins 400ISL motors with 6 speed Allisons. One radiator I threw a rock into.

Agreed. They are pretty damn reliable

PRORACER7474

Reaction score
You might want to look at Fleetwood products, the Discovery, Revolution and others are geared more toward family camping, some even have bunk beds. If you are not towing anything large a 350-370hp cummins deal will work. I have had a discovery and a monaco and now I am back with a bath and 1/2 Revolution on a Spartan chassis it is rated at 10lb towing and has a 400hp engine