WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

School me On Diesel Trucks

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Ok so I’m in the research stage of looking for a tow pig.

I have had 05-06 Duramax’s and a 06 Cummins.

what are the trucks to avoid? The 2010 and newer Duramax have the shit fuel pump right?

what’s the Story on Ford is everything after 2012 good? Before that they are all dog shit.

Cummins is good until 2019 when they changed to the crap pump for one year?

Which one has the least finicky emissions equipment?
What extra emissions maintenance is required?

Soon as I sell my truck I will be looking to spend up to 50k. I will be buying a trailer that will be about 16k loaded. Dually would be nice.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score

what are the trucks to avoid? The 2010 and newer Duramax have the shit fuel pump right?

what’s the Story on Ford is everything after 2012 good? Before that they are all dog shit.

Soon as I sell my truck I will be looking to spend up to 50k. I will be buying a trailer that will be about 16k loaded. Dually would be nice.

07.5-2010 duramaxes are great. Still have the CP3 (good fuel pump). Basically a LBZ but with DPF. No DEF is a huge plus. Cons - still uses the 99-07 chassis which is long in the tooth.

11-16 duramaxs are great trucks, but they have the CP4 fuel pump that can get very costly if it implodes. And they do implode.....but this is the same pump the 11-newer Ford 6.7’s run, so....pick your poison! The 11-16 trucks have way beefier front suspensions than the 07-10 trucks (which were a carryover suspension wise from the 99-07 trucks). The chevys seem to suffer more DEF related codes and sensor issues than the Fords.

11-up Fords run real well, but they too have the dreaded CP4. They seem to have a lower failure rate, possibly due to Ford equipping them with a lift pump, whereas Chevy does not. Either way - al that performance is costly if the CP4 shits the bed. These all use DEF and DPF

Rams....they didn’t use the CP4 till 2019, so your good from that standpoint. They eat turbos around 120k (variable vanes stop working) which is a 4K Bill. Mixed reviews on the trans. The 14-up trucks run DEF which is a bummer but they get better mpg than the non-DEF trucks.

Basically - they all have pluses and minuses, and can generate a 7-10 thousand dollar repair bill out of warranty. But it’s pocket change compared to a 6.4 Ford......

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Well, here's my input, I've repaired fewer "issues" on 12-18 Cummins drive trains than I have both Ford and Chevy. Out here though, mostly ranch and construction trucks, so all of them are flogged hard. The later Fords haul ass empty, but haven't run one loaded. Both Ford and Dodges up here seem to run into variable geometry turbo issues, but I don't know if it's the driving styles here(dirt road crawling, hit pavement, drop hammer...while towing?)

CSmith

Reaction score
O6 and 07 Duramax old body styles (Cat Eye) solid trucks with zero issues. However getting harder to get parts.
07.5-10 duramax newer body style same as 06 and 07 duramax it just has a DPF on the exhaust but doesn't have any of the DEF fluid crap. Solid truck.
11-16 or 17Has the shitty CP4 pump to avoid. Or just do a CP3 Conversion for $2,000 and you are good to go for lots of trouble free miles. My work truck is a 2007.5 and I can't get a new steering wheel and other stupid parts from the dealer cause it's discontinued.

I cant speculate on ford cause I haven't owned one since 04. I do know on the Ford trucks that have the shitty lift pumps they make a kit that reroutes the fuel back to the filter instead of your injectors and fuel lines if the pump goes bad which is not available to my knowledge for the Rams. And that is very reasonable.

Dodge Ram cummins I'm unsure about the earlier years but I believe it's 18-20 have the CP4 pump. The 17 has the CP3. and I hear the 2021 or 2022 went back to the CP3 pump. However you can do a CP3 conversion on the cummins but obviously void your warranty.
The 2500 cummins have the 68rfe trans and a little less torque and power compared to the 3500 HO Cummins with the aisin trans. So do your research if you are set on the Ram about the 2500 68RFE VS the 3500 Aisin. All have there upside and downs. I have owned 3 duramaxs and they were great trucks if you leave them stock. I have a 19 3500 cummins now and absolutely love it but I've only put 2,000 miles on it and can't speculate so keeping my fingers crossed 🤞

Hope this helps 👍

Last edited:

HitIt

Reaction score
I will be buying a trailer that will be about 16k loaded

s-l640.jpg

btaco35

Reaction score
Sorry to thread crap, however, adding to the discussion: does anyone have insight on the gm 6cyl diesel? Looking at the 1500 AT4 in diesel over a gasser as I do 20-30k miles a year. Towing capacity not a big concern.

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
You should try and wait. a couple buddies and myself literally sold our diesel trucks to dealers for more than we paid brand new 3 years ago. He shortage in chips created a shortage. If you can wait until next year, you may get about a $20k savings.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
You should try and wait. a couple buddies and myself literally sold our diesel trucks to dealers for more than we paid brand new 3 years ago. He shortage in chips created a shortage. If you can wait until next year, you may get about a $20k savings.
I would like to have this shit show ready for Halloween.

HCP3

Reaction score
O6 and 07 Duramax old body styles (Cat Eye) solid trucks with zero issues. However getting harder to get parts.
07.5-10 duramax newer body style same as 06 and 07 duramax it just has a DPF on the exhaust but doesn't have any of the DEF fluid crap. Solid truck.
11-16 or 17Has the shitty CP4 pump to avoid. Or just do a CP3 Conversion for $2,000 and you are good to go for lots of trouble free miles. My work truck is a 2007.5 and I can't get a new steering wheel and other stupid parts from the dealer cause it's discontinued.

I cant speculate on ford cause I haven't owned one since 04. I do know on the Ford trucks that have the shitty lift pumps they make a kit that reroutes the fuel back to the filter instead of your injectors and fuel lines if the pump goes bad which is not available to my knowledge for the Rams. And that is very reasonable.

Dodge Ram cummins I'm unsure about the earlier years but I believe it's 18-20 have the CP4 pump. The 17 has the CP3. and I hear the 2021 or 2022 went back to the CP3 pump. However you can do a CP3 conversion on the cummins but obviously void your warranty.
The 2500 cummins have the 68rfe trans and a little less torque and power compared to the 3500 HO Cummins with the aisin trans. So do your research if you are set on the Ram about the 2500 68RFE VS the 3500 Aisin. All have there upside and downs. I have owned 3 duramaxs and they were great trucks if you leave them stock. I have a 19 3500 cummins now and absolutely love it but I've only put 2,000 miles on it and can't speculate so keeping my fingers crossed 🤞

Hope this helps 👍

2019 is when Ram/Cummins switched to the CP4.

CSmith

Reaction score
Sorry to thread crap, however, adding to the discussion: does anyone have insight on the gm 6cyl diesel? Looking at the 1500 AT4 in diesel over a gasser as I do 20-30k miles a year. Towing capacity not a big concern.
Idk about the 1/2 diesels. There is so much more complex things to the diesels and if you aren't concerned about towing capacity there isn't really anything to gain. A regular half ton gasser with normal maintenance should go 250-300k on a motor, might have to replace a couple transmissions but that's another topic. I think a normal gasser from the top 3 manufacturers are solid. F-150, Silverado, and Ram.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
07.5-2010 duramaxes are great. Still have the CP3 (good fuel pump). Basically a LBZ but with DPF. No DEF is a huge plus. Cons - still uses the 99-07 chassis which is long in the tooth.

11-16 duramaxs are great trucks, but they have the CP4 fuel pump that can get very costly if it implodes. And they do implode.....but this is the same pump the 11-newer Ford 6.7’s run, so....pick your poison! The 11-16 trucks have way beefier front suspensions than the 07-10 trucks (which were a carryover suspension wise from the 99-07 trucks). The chevys seem to suffer more DEF related codes and sensor issues than the Fords.

11-up Fords run real well, but they too have the dreaded CP4. They seem to have a lower failure rate, possibly due to Ford equipping them with a lift pump, whereas Chevy does not. Either way - al that performance is costly if the CP4 shits the bed. These all use DEF and DPF

Rams....they didn’t use the CP4 till 2019, so your good from that standpoint. They eat turbos around 120k (variable vanes stop working) which is a 4K Bill. Mixed reviews on the trans. The 14-up trucks run DEF which is a bummer but they get better mpg than the non-DEF trucks.

Basically - they all have pluses and minuses, and can generate a 7-10 thousand dollar repair bill out of warranty. But it’s pocket change compared to a 6.4 Ford......
Thanks I did not know about the shit pump in the Ford. Can it be converted?

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
Just built a 2011 duramax. Bought the truck for 32k with 61k miles. I spent the money to do the motor. $800 for the cp4 fix via synergy injector pump solenoid, $900 for kennedy lift pump/supplemental fuel filter and $1600 for a partial delete and tune with edge ct3 monitor. With the kennedy partial delete it keeps the stock airbox/def tank and exhaust and just retards the emissions.

I did get a shell and 22s to dress it up a bit
20210525_050902.jpg
20210327_074347.jpg
20210718_193210.jpg
20210327_074242.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

btaco35

Reaction score
Idk about the 1/2 diesels. There is so much more complex things to the diesels and if you aren't concerned about towing capacity there isn't really anything to gain. A regular half ton gasser with normal maintenance should go 250-300k on a motor, might have to replace a couple transmissions but that's another topic. I think a normal gasser from the top 3 manufacturers are solid. F-150, Silverado, and Ram.

Thanks for the feedback! Mainly looking at gas prices continuing to rise and 27/28 mpg highway on the diesel from a few friends that have them.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I had already bit my tongue about half way through. This thread just finished it off...

Gotta be the worst time Ever to be buying a truck, much less a trailer and shit!

A friend just drove to AZ to buy a used F350 that turned out to be a complete POS when he got there. He came home and ordered a brand new one for a few thousand more than the used 2017 he went and looked at.

Patience is king right now. Take your time, and make a solid decision, there is zero Good reason to be in a rush. 👍

Xring01

Reaction score
I wouldnt recommend any Diesel truck that requires DEF fluid or has any of the pre catalytic systems on them for people living in CA.... smog checks, no tuners, no Def delete, etc etc .... and the regs get tighter every day.

But thats me. In the past, Diesels got better fuel economy over the equivalent gas motor, and diesel was alot cheaper. Well in modern 2500s size trucks the diesel fuel economy gains are not much better than the equivalent 2500 gas engines.... that math doesnt add up in my opinion alone.

Living in CA, the price of diesel is higher than gas for the most part.

Now the 1500 size diesel trucks, yes they do have way better fuel economy over gas, but they have way to many systems supporting that engine. None of them made my short list, due to the horror story's of failures, and the added maintenance cost.

Combine all that, with the fact the 2008ish and above ones all have way to many systems and subsystems that all have shit that can fail. PERIOD. Regardless of the Ram, Chevy, Ford logo's.

Now some of the ones prior to all this modern day crap, are great trucks, but finding that low mileage cream puff is going to be alot of work.
I had a great 2002 GMC Duramax 2500 4x4 sold it with 250K miles, and a great 2001 Dodge Cummins 2500 4x4 gave it to my son with 250K miles, both where outstanding trucks. Also had 2006, GMC 1500 gas truck, sold it with close to 200,000 miles on it. Both the 2002 and 2006 where advertised on RDP when I sold them.

But what is the truck that I bought about 4 weeks ago... 2021 Chevy 1500 4x4 5.3...... I dont need a 2500... and when I did my lifetime cost benefit analysis on a truck I plan to own for 10 years and hopefully 250,000 miles or more... Chevy won out. I may be wrong, but its the decision I made.

hallett21

Reaction score
2016 Ram 3500 CC 4x4 Cummins/Aisin with 140k on the clock. Pulls like a tractor and so far has been reliable.

These newer diesels need to be driven. Letting them sit IMO is what causes problems.

If this is a sub 10k miles a year truck I’d take a hard look at a gas motor with bigger gears. For reliability sake. If you need big power then diesel all the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Loved my 08 F-450. Rode better than my 14 F-350 SW. did have the oil system take out a turbo and had a cracked thermostat housing though.

also 450’s turn sharper than other F series.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
Less than 50k. Have to wait until my truck sells.
This was Pre-Covid but a good friend of mine picked up a super clean 2014 6.7L XLT Ford Crew Cab Dually for $37K with <50K miles. I’m guessing today’s pricing will be closer to your budget.

Last edited:

JDub24

American Bad-Ass!!
Reaction score
I have a 16’ 2500 Ram CC Cummins and it is solid. Like stated before all of the newer diesel trucks have their issues. Check out all the brands and see what you like best.
That being said … of you plan to run bigger tires or actually use it off road… GM/Chevy products will not hold up with an A-arm front end. Half ton parts one a 3/4-1 ton truck.

For reference… I just pulled a 40’ gooseneck 2400 miles with my truck from CA to CO at 23k pounds (trailer weight) without a problem.
0879C5D8-E40B-4FCC-B296-5C9029C801EF.jpeg
1D474BBF-D568-466C-9F38-0B127023130B.jpeg

Last edited:

BUDMAN

HAVASU BOUND
Reaction score
If I was purchasing a new tow pig I would look at the new Ford F-250 with the new Godzilla engine. I’ve heard great reviews on it and cheaper to maintain than a diesel. That’s just me though. Good luck with your next purchase

Last edited:

CLdrinker

Reaction score
If I was purchasing a new tow pig I would look at the new Ford F-250 with new new Godzilla engine. I’ve heard great reviews on it and cheaper to maintain than a diesel. That’s just me though. Good luck with your next purchase
Trailer im
Looking at is to much for a gas engine.
I currently have a 6.4 Hemi that I love. But it just won’t have the power.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I had already bit my tongue about half way through. This thread just finished it off...

Gotta be the worst time Ever to be buying a truck, much less a trailer and shit!

A friend just drove to AZ to buy a used F350 that turned out to be a complete POS when he got there. He came home and ordered a brand new one for a few thousand more than the used 2017 he went and looked at.

Patience is king right now. Take your time, and make a solid decision, there is zero Good reason to be in a rush. 👍
Kids are only little once.

CSmith

Reaction score
Can you elaborate on this?
Can you elaborate on this?
My dad has a 2006 duramax and my work truck is a 2007.5 if you look up those body styles online just our experience going to our local dealer for interior trim parts (steering wheels) plastic pieces that get briddle and break, seat cushions and material to match existing Interior, you can no longer get it from the dealer as they say it's discontinued/they don't make it anymore. So lately I have to outsource the parts. I still have been unable to find a steering wheel to match my interior on my 07.5 since it's cracking and such from the heat. Motor/driveline parts, suspension and steering not an issue but I'm super anal about fixing anything that breaks or is worn from daily use.

stokerwhore

aka bordsmnj
Reaction score
i'd look at the new dodges in kentucky and have it shipped.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
i'd look at the new dodges in kentucky and have it shipped.
Do you know of a dealer I can look at? Trailer I’m looking at is in Texas and Virginia. I could do one hell of a road trip and pick up both.

stokerwhore

aka bordsmnj
Reaction score
Do you know of a dealer I can look at? Trailer I’m looking at is in Texas and Virginia. I could do one hell of a road trip and pick up both.
no, not particularly. I was looking online a month or two ago out of curiousity and noticed that the same 3500s out there were 20k cheaper than the overpriced trucks here in CA. there seemed to be an abundance of 3500 4x4 mega cab diesels in different trims. I did no research though.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Thanks I did not know about the shit pump in the Ford. Can it be converted?
SPE Diesel makes a disaster prevention kit. Have heard of more CP4 failures in Duramax than the Powerstroke.

That kit, coupled with the H&S fuel filter comversion kit and that's all you need for the 6.7.

Last known issue with 6.7 is the side intercooler replacement. Factory is plastic and prone to failure.

This takes care of that.

Not too much money to spend to Bulletproof the 6.7 and trust me, it is a bad bitch. Mine is bone stock and is a beast. Couldn't even imagine putting a straight pipe with tune and delete on it.....holy shit!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Yeah if you can wait, i would wait. This is not a buyers market.

A good buddy of mine was a long time chevy guy but the last 5 years he has run Dodge/Cummins. I'll have to say they are pretty nice trucks, he hasn't had any problems and drives a ton. I would probably buy Dodge if i was buying a newer diesel. Thankfully my 03 Duramax is cherry and dialed in so it won't be for a while. Thing gets close to 20mpg on the hwy at 80.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Yeah if you can wait, i would wait. This is not a buyers market.

A good buddy of mine was a long time chevy guy but the last 5 years he has run Dodge/Cummins. I'll have to say they are pretty nice trucks, he hasn't had any problems and drives a ton. I would probably buy Dodge if i was buying a newer diesel. Thankfully my 03 Duramax is cherry and dialed in so it won't be for a while. Thing gets close to 20mpg on the hwy at 80.
All hinges on my truck selling. I can buy at covid prices as long as I sell at covid prices lol.

Blubyu

Reaction score
I have a deleted 16 white Platinum F250 for sale. LMK if your interested.

Reactions: DWC

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score

There have been some CP3 failures across the board, discussed this at length with my service rep. Usually they fail if they are going to before 25k miles, and it doesn't seem to have any rhyme or reason behind it. Ram covers it and I'd expect at some point either a warranty extension or recall to happen. No issues on mine or anyone I know directly.

In all likelihood you could get a new 2500 for not much more than that.. Have you owned a dually? it gets old daily driving one....I have a 1 ton, but specifically got the srw over it.

DaveSmith.com or Bluebonnet are two of the largest volume dealers there are...you can find deals under normal conditions...right now used diesels are higher than hell.

Cobalt232

Reaction score
We got 120k out of our '09 F-250 6.4 Powerstroke. While coming back from the river earlier in the month my wife had the money light come on and went into limp mode when it was 115 degrees outside. The dealer said the code was fuel pump-related, but couldn't pinpoint it. Reset the code and traded it for a new Chevy Trail Boss with the 6.2 gasser. Good time to sell a truck. Bad time to buy a truck.

Reactions: DWC

Joker

Reaction score
Had a 7.3, a 5.9 a 15 Ram Cummins and a 20 Dmax. Would never buy another newer diesel unless i was towing something heavy.
Happy with our 6.6L GMC.

dspracing

Reaction score
Question - if a person is on any kind of a budget, and doesn’t tow much more than a boat or toy hauler once a month, is it reasonably justifiable to buy a diesel?

I had 6.0 f250, lariat crew cab fx4 etc, it was my dream truck. constantly stressed about it breaking down on me, paid a ton to get it reliable, and got hit a few months later totaling the truck. Got paid $28k, bought a 4wd limited excursion for 6 grand and never looked back. The ex doesn’t get as good of mileage but at the end of the day it does all the same work while seating 8 people at 1/5 the cost.

braindead

Reaction score
My dad has a 2006 duramax and my work truck is a 2007.5 if you look up those body styles online just our experience going to our local dealer for interior trim parts (steering wheels) plastic pieces that get briddle and break, seat cushions and material to match existing Interior, you can no longer get it from the dealer as they say it's discontinued/they don't make it anymore. So lately I have to outsource the parts. I still have been unable to find a steering wheel to match my interior on my 07.5 since it's cracking and such from the heat. Motor/driveline parts, suspension and steering not an issue but I'm super anal about fixing anything that breaks or is worn from daily use.

try www.car-part.com

I know it’s not going to be brand new but it’ll be in better condition than what you currently have.
I found a steering wheel for my 07 Ford explorer four years ago in North Carolina that was in almost perfect condition, callEd them up gave them my credit card info they shipped it out to California

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Question - if a person is on any kind of a budget, and doesn’t tow much more than a boat or toy hauler once a month, is it reasonably justifiable to buy a diesel?

I had 6.0 f250, lariat crew cab fx4 etc, it was my dream truck. constantly stressed about it breaking down on me, paid a ton to get it reliable, and got hit a few months later totaling the truck. Got paid $28k, bought a 4wd limited excursion for 6 grand and never looked back. The ex doesn’t get as good of mileage but at the end of the day it does all the same work while seating 8 people at 1/5 the cost.
Gasser isn’t going to pull a 40’ triple slide toy hauler with a gvwr of 16-17k.
I have a new gasser 3/4ton. It’s bad ass and paid for. But it’s not 17k bad ass lol
7B846E83-13CF-4475-BF34-5EA63055B236.jpeg

CLdrinker

Reaction score
There have been some CP3 failures across the board, discussed this at length with my service rep. Usually they fail if they are going to before 25k miles, and it doesn't seem to have any rhyme or reason behind it. Ram covers it and I'd expect at some point either a warranty extension or recall to happen. No issues on mine or anyone I know directly.

In all likelihood you could get a new 2500 for not much more than that.. Have you owned a dually? it gets old daily driving one....I have a 1 ton, but specifically got the srw over it.

DaveSmith.com or Bluebonnet are two of the largest volume dealers there are...you can find deals under normal conditions...right now used diesels are higher than hell.
This is a 3rd vehicle tow pig only. So a truck with hips is ok.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

Nope. Smart man. Buy a gasser for that use case.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Nope. Smart man. Buy a gasser for that use case.
What was the use case? He didn’t give weights of what he is towing.

My 3/4ton gas served a purpose of towing 13-14k once in awhile.

Now purpose is 16k or more once in a while. Could my truck do it? Probably, but it wouldn’t be pretty.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
What was the use case? He didn’t give weights of what he is towing.

My 3/4ton gas served a purpose of towing 13-14k once in awhile.

Now purpose is 16k or more once in a while. Could my truck do it? Probably, but it wouldn’t be pretty.

He said budget, towing once a month, and currently using a gas Excursion. I don't think he is lugging around an extreme about of weight with that v10.

There is no ROI on a modern diesel for most people unless they are going to use it for work, towing weekly, or towing really heavy. Buy the gas version and floor it. The diesel mileage isn't much better, the diesel fuel is not cheaper, and the truck is $10K more. That is all praying that the fuel system does not grenade and cost you $6K-$10K to fix.

Last edited: