WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

School me On Diesel Trucks

dspracing

Reaction score
Gasser isn’t going to pull a 40’ triple slide toy hauler with a gvwr of 16-17k.
I have a new gasser 3/4ton. It’s bad ass and paid for. But it’s not 17k bad ass lol View attachment 1028701
Well shit if that’s the case, sounds like you only have one option. Seems like a pusher and an enclosed would still be way cheaper though.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Well shit if that’s the case, sounds like you only have one option. Seems like a pusher and an enclosed would still be way cheaper though.
Thought about that. But I feel naked without a truck.

glamis0812

Reaction score
He said budget, towing once a month, and currently using a gas Excursion. I don't think he is lugging around an extreme about of weight with that v10.

There is no ROI on a modern diesel for most people unless they are going to use it for work, towing weekly, or towing really heavy. Buy the gas version and floor it. The diesel mileage isn't much better, the diesel fuel is not cheaper, and the truck is $10K more. That is all praying that the fuel system does not grenade and cost you $6K-$10K to fix.

I got to ask have you ever owned a diesel?

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I got to ask have you ever owned a diesel?

Driven and been in a mid 2000s Duramax enough to know If you aren't towing heavy, its a nice to have, not a need to have.

The OP of this thread is a perfect example. If you are towing under 15K for pleasure occasionally, you'll never get the ROI back going diesel.

Now if you get some great deal on a used truck that is different.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Yes but I’m one of those broke guys you talk about. I can’t afford a truck, motorhome and enclosed.

I didn't say you were broke. YOU said you were broke :)

Or maybe you will be after this whole transaction.

socalrzr

Reaction score
I have a 2011 F250 with the 6.7 and have not had any major issues that I couldn't handle myself. My parents have had a coupe 6.7s, along with a few friends, and no major issues. Its what I would recommend.

That being said there isn't a manufacturer out there that dosent have problems. The problem is that the problems are all you ever hear about.

Good luck and I hope you find the right truck for you.

calkid

Reaction score
Ok so I’m in the research stage of looking for a tow pig.

I have had 05-06 Duramax’s and a 06 Cummins.

what are the trucks to avoid? The 2010 and newer Duramax have the shit fuel pump right?

what’s the Story on Ford is everything after 2012 good? Before that they are all dog shit.

Cummins is good until 2019 when they changed to the crap pump for one year?

Which one has the least finicky emissions equipment?
What extra emissions maintenance is required?

Soon as I sell my truck I will be looking to spend up to 50k. I will be buying a trailer that will be about 16k loaded. Dually would be nice.

Last year for the CP-3 in the Cummins was 2018. 2019 and 2020 they went with the CP-4/CP-4.1 and in 2021 they are back to the CP-3.
I bought a 2021 3500 with the HO engine and couldn't be happier. My friend bought a 2020 2500 and at 4k miles it destroyed the fuel system. It's been at the dealer two months waiting for a retrofit kit to switch it to a CP-3. They have already changed all of the injectors and flushed the fuel system but can't complete the job because the retrofit kit is not available yet. But, he gets to drive a rental F150 while he waits :rolleyes:

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
Driven and been in a mid 2000s Duramax enough to know If you aren't towing heavy, its a nice to have, not a need to have.

The OP of this thread is a perfect example. If you are towing under 15K for pleasure occasionally, you'll never get the ROI back going diesel.

Now if you get some great deal on a used truck that is different.

So, never owned a diesel.

Noted.

Dan'l

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
There is no "ROI" on a depreciating Asset that doesn't produce income. Hah

Well that’s true, People can buy whatever they want, but most new diesels have a higher TCO compared to just buying a gasser if you are just an occasionally towing or not towing heavy. So the ROI is lighting less money on fire if you are on a budget. :)

Last edited:

NicPaus

Reaction score
Start a side business that needs a 1 ton truck. Then you can write it off. My buddy that bought the 84k F250 should have. He paid 80k in taxes last year. Linemen are killing it but with no side business getting killed with taxes.

On a side note my river neighbor just called me talking trucks. He is going to list his 6.7 as he sold his monster toyhauler and no longer needs diesel. 27k miles on it. He was calling to see if a 1/2 ton could handle his boat.

JD D05

Reaction score
Sure is but I'm in denial and refuse to leave diesel. Still have my 08 dmax and 02 7.3 excursion after selling 12k lbs boat on trailer and 8k rv TT, now only pulling 4k max air opus. The sound of diesel engine and turbo whistle still have me at hello😊

I didn't read one post lol.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Well that’s true, People can buy whatever they want, but most new diesels have a higher TCO compared to just buying a gasser if you are just an occasionally towing or not towing heavy. So the ROI is lighting less money on fire if you are on a budget. :)
Who cares about TCO?! It sounds cool and can pull a freaking house if necessary......[emoji38]

I am the worst diesel owner. Mine just sits in the garage and pulls a 22 Shockwave, maybe 2 - 3 times a year.......which by the way is awesome since it basically drives like nothing is back there.....

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Last year for the CP-3 in the Cummins was 2018. 2019 and 2020 they went with the CP-4/CP-4.1 and in 2021 they are back to the CP-3.
I bought a 2021 3500 with the HO engine and couldn't be happier. My friend bought a 2020 2500 and at 4k miles it destroyed the fuel system. It's been at the dealer two months waiting for a retrofit kit to switch it to a CP-3. They have already changed all of the injectors and flushed the fuel system but can't complete the job because the retrofit kit is not available yet. But, he gets to drive a rental F150 while he waits :rolleyes:

He needs a new truck. New vehicle warranty...there are limits on the time allowed to make repairs.

Bosch is single handily ruining the new diesel truck market. Cummins learned quick but it amazes me they didn't notice the Duramax complete fuel system replacements since 2015 with massive warranty costs. Ford's 6.7 same issue. Ford and GM are still using the pump with Bosch saying hey its all good now. Cummins says I don't think so and back to the CP3.

Why the CP4...Higher volume and pressure. Chasing that 1000 lb feet of tq.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
He needs a new truck. New vehicle warranty...there are limits on the time allowed to make repairs.

Bosch is single handily ruining the new diesel truck market. Cummins learned quick but it amazes me they didn't notice the Duramax complete fuel system replacements since 2015 with massive warranty costs. Ford's 6.7 same issue. Ford and GM are still using the pump with Bosch saying hey its all good now. Cummins says I don't think so and back to the CP3.

Why the CP4...Higher volume and pressure. Chasing that 1000 lb feet of tq.

I wonder how many of the failures with the CP4 are on tuned/deleted trucks with add ons like the peddle commander??

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
I wonder how many of the failures with the CP4 are on tuned/deleted trucks with add ons like the peddle commander??

They seem to eat themselves over our bare min sulfur in the fuel. Apparently it was a big surprise to Bosch. :rolleyes:

The pedal commander just makes the truck feel more responsive when you can accomplish the same thing by pushing the go pedal down without it.
Deleting at some point will become punishable beyond a fine.

These trucks make tons of power. No mods for me on my 2018. The 2004 has a Smarty Jr. to fix the speedo. Other than that stock.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
@bldrinker are you opposed to getting back behind an older diesel like the ones you owned in the past?
Absolutely not. An older dodge would have to be a mega cab though.
But most trucks those years are beat to shit. Hell it’s hard to find a used truck with a stain in the seat or a destroyed bed.

81Sprint

Reaction score
That LBZ Dually that was in the classifieds recently would have been perfect for you. I've had 7.3, (2) 6.oh, LLY, LBZ, L5P and now a '21 Cummins, and will say other than the 6.0s blowing EGR's up they were all good trucks with pretty minimal issues. Really boils down to how someone took care of it, changed filters and fluids regularly and not tune the crap out of them.

hawgty55

Reaction score
deisel is the only way to go now better gas mileage and torque cant be matched. Theres just more maintenance and it costs a bit more. Bought a ranch truck for my family to ranch and rodeo. Truck is deleted with a simple street tune. It's a little rough but thats what you get for a 20k budget. Wifes truck is almost payed off ill be looking for a 2012 cummins for her. I believe the last year pre def.
20210722_083427.jpg

Boat211

Reaction score
I have a 19 GMC 2500hd with the 6.0 gasser. Came from a 12 GMC diesel. Im not towing anything big anymore but I do miss the power. The 6.0 makes noise but not much get up and go. 13 mpg is best ever. I think that was down hill with a tail wind. 10-11 is more the norm. Its a nice enough truck but not in love with it. Was considering going back diesel but hard to justify at the moment.

DMF

Reaction score
SPE Diesel makes a disaster prevention kit. Have heard of more CP4 failures in Duramax than the Powerstroke.

That kit, coupled with the H&S fuel filter comversion kit and that's all you need for the 6.7.

Last known issue with 6.7 is the side intercooler replacement. Factory is plastic and prone to failure.

This takes care of that.

Not too much money to spend to Bulletproof the 6.7 and trust me, it is a bad bitch. Mine is bone stock and is a beast. Couldn't even imagine putting a straight pipe with tune and delete on it.....holy shit!

What year is your truck? Have you done any or all of these upgrades? If so, who did the install?

I have a bone stock 2019 F250 platinum with 45k miles amd has been trouble free so far.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
What year is your truck? Have you done any or all of these upgrades? If so, who did the install?

I have a bone stock 2019 F250 platinum with 45k miles amd has been trouble free so far.
Same year as yours and 35k on the clock, trouble free. Haven't done the modifications yet, but likely will in stages. First will be to replace the OEM fuel filter with the H&S.

81Sprint

Reaction score
Running fuel additive seems to make them live longer.

The pedal commander is just mental masturbation. :)
I run Hotshot EDT in mine, seems to quiet it down also. The pedal commander is a must have, best $300 you can spend on a newer diesel!

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Running fuel additive seems to make them live longer.

The pedal commander is just mental masturbation. :)

I or rather my son at my insistence uses this in the 2004. Mileage is near 270k on original injectors.

All the new trucks say no additives but after I had some injector knock in the 2018 (Running Man Fuel - Don't) I used a Schafer product and over a few tanks the knock is gone.

710BTQS1ZfL._AC_SL1280_.jpg

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I've owned a few gas trucks...

Ive only owned one diesel. I've had it for close to twenty years now?

I don't give a fuck about ROI or how much it costs.

I do give a fuck about how it tows on long hills and grades, and gets double the fuel mileage (so I don't have to stop as often for fuel) as my gas trucks did.

My gasser, driving to St Anthony's one year, would go exactly one hour on one tank of fuel. I was lucky I had two tanks.

I was traveling with six other rigs up there.

I got SO much shit from my friends for having to stop every 90min for fuel it was unreal. Wanna know how many stops that's is on almost a 1000k mile drive, one way?? WAY too many to count that's for sure.

I bought a diesel when I got back from that trip, and will Never own a gas truck again.

Gas trucks are fine for towing a boat a couple hours here and there, on flat roads on sunny days. But if you plan to make cross country trips, towing a heavy toy hauler, in whatever weather mother nature might throw your way, spend the money on a real tow vehicle. It's worth whatever the extra costs might be.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
No real issues with that year, some of the 13-15 trucks had DEF consumption issues, but that should have been taken care of by now. Is it a 68RFE or Aisin truck? Little deeper 1st/2nd gear on the Aisin to get a trailer moving. Only rear gear available on the SRW trucks is 3.42, if it matters to you. On the 19 and newer trucks they went to 3.73. The duallys could get 3.73 or 4.10 as an option. As long as the maintenance has been done- namely the fuel filters religiously every 15k with the right filters you should be fine. Those are CP3 trucks and have proper filtration from the factory so no issues there until 19-20 where they used a CP4. They are back to a pump similar to a CP3 on the 21s.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
No real issues with that year, some of the 13-15 trucks had DEF consumption issues, but that should have been taken care of by now. Is it a 68RFE or Aisin truck? Little deeper 1st/2nd gear on the Aisin to get a trailer moving. Only rear gear available on the SRW trucks is 3.42, if it matters to you. On the 19 and newer trucks they went to 3.73. The duallys could get 3.73 or 4.10 as an option. As long as the maintenance has been done- namely the fuel filters religiously every 15k with the right filters you should be fine. Those are CP3 trucks and have proper filtration from the factory so no issues there until 19-20 where they used a CP4. They are back to a pump similar to a CP3 on the 21s.
How can I found if it’s Aisin? Did they have that in 14?

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Quick summary...

They all awesome right outa the box. They ride good, and are a pleasure to drive.

Ten years down the road??

That maintenance on the GM truck will be endless. Ten sets of injectors later, you won't have money left for vacation.

Dodge? It will still be chugging right along, but nothing on the truck its self will still work! And since all the parts behind the dash are cheap plastic, you'll spend thousands to pull the dash to replace em. IF you can find em...

Ford? Will still be the same as when you bought it. Will you have issues? Of course. It's a machine. They all break at some point. But if you stay on top of it, which isn't hard to do, it will be the exact same truck you bought new.

If you're only gonna keep it a few years? Buy whatever you want. If you're gonna keep it forever?

There is only one choice that makes sense. 😊

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Well the add for the 2014 Ram is gone...

PaPaG

Reaction score
Ok so I’m in the research stage of looking for a tow pig.

I have had 05-06 Duramax’s and a 06 Cummins.

what are the trucks to avoid? The 2010 and newer Duramax have the shit fuel pump right?

what’s the Story on Ford is everything after 2012 good? Before that they are all dog shit.

Cummins is good until 2019 when they changed to the crap pump for one year?

Which one has the least finicky emissions equipment?
What extra emissions maintenance is required?

Soon as I sell my truck I will be looking to spend up to 50k. I will be buying a trailer that will be about 16k loaded. Dually would be nice.
Stay away from any Ford 6.0 diesel unless it has been bulletproofed, 7.3's are great just an older model but does the job, I hear the 6.7's are supposedly very good diesels as well, as for Chevy and Dodge I know nothing about them except that they are very expensive to repair when they break.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
was going to post this on GD but they have been down
OP, this is about 15 minutes away from me if you want someone to lay eyes on it. I work the next 4 days but could get over there Tuesday or Wednesday next week.

Reactions: DWC

CLdrinker

Reaction score
OP, this is about 15 minutes away from me if you want someone to lay eyes on it. I work the next 4 days but could get over there Tuesday or Wednesday next week.
I would love to get another mega cab. But their payload is barely over 2k. My pin weight will be Atleast 3k plus people, hitch and fuel.

I’m anti towing police but I’m not trying to get crazy.
Awesome offer and great looking out. It’s appreciated!

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
I would love to get another mega cab. But their payload is barely over 2k. My pin weight will be Atleast 3k plus people, hitch and fuel.

I’m anti towing police but I’m not trying to get crazy.
Awesome offer and great looking out. It’s appreciated!
I hear ya, that’s why I went 3500 Mega SRW. Gives me around 4K rated payload, so realistically, with a full tank of fuel and loaded with people, tools, and gear, still around 3k left for pin weight. I wanted a shortbed, and I like the extra GVWR (12300- same as a CCLB) compared to the CCSB (11700) They are a PITA to find though- especially with the Aisin.